The Reasons Behind the Obama Non-Recovery

It wasn’t the severity of the Great Recession that caused the weak recovery, but government policies.

By ROBERT J. BARRO
Sept. 20, 2016 7:09 p.m. ET

The Obama administration and some economists argue that the recovery since the Great Recession ended in 2009 has been unusually weak because of the recession’s severity and the fact that it was accompanied by a major financial crisis. Yet in a recent study of economic downturns in the U.S. and elsewhere since 1870, economist Tao Jin and I found that historically the opposite has been true. Empirically, the growth rate during a recovery relates positively to the magnitude of decline during the downturn.

In our paper, “Rare Events and Long-Run Risks,” we examined macroeconomic disasters in 42 countries, featuring 185 contractions in GDP per capita of 10% or more. These contractions are dominated by wartime devastation such as World War I (1914-18) and World War II (1939-45) and financial crises such as the Great Depression of the 1930s. Many are global events, some are for individual or a few countries.

On average, during a recovery, an economy recoups about half the GDP lost during the downturn. The recovery is typically quick, with an average duration around two years. For example, a 4% decline in per capita GDP during a contraction predicts subsequent recovery of 2%, implying 1% per year higher growth than normal during the recovery. Hence, the growth rate of U.S. per capita GDP from 2009 to 2011 should have been around 3% per year, rather than the 1.5% that materialized.

Alright

Arguing that the recovery has been weak because the downturn was severe or coincided with a major financial crisis conflicts with the evidence, which shows that a larger decline predicts a stronger recovery. Moreover, many of the biggest downturns featured financial crises. For example, the U.S. per capita GDP growth rate from 1933-40 was 6.5% per year, the highest of any peacetime interval of several years, despite the 1937 recession. This strong recovery followed the cumulative decline in the level of per capita GDP by around 29% from 1929-33 during the Great Depression.

Given the lack of recovery in GDP, a surprising aspect of the post-2009 period is the strong employment growth. The growth rate of total nonfarm payrolls averaged 1.7% a year from February 2010 to July 2016, despite the drop in the labor-force participation rate. The post-2009 period is not a jobless recovery; it is a job-filled non-recovery. Similarly, the drop in the unemployment rate—from 10% in October 2009 to 4.9% in July 2016—has been impressive, though overstated because of the decrease in labor-force participation.

What accounts for the strong recovery in the labor market combined with the non-recovery in GDP? Mainly weak growth of labor productivity. The growth rate of GDP per worker from 2010-15 was 0.5% per year, compared with 1.5% from 1949 to 2009. The recent productivity slowdown is clear since 2011 but may have started as early as 2004.

What could have promoted a faster recovery by enhancing productivity growth? Variables that encourage economic growth include strong rule of law and property rights, free trade, rolling back inefficient regulations and other constraints on market activity, public infrastructure such as highways and airports, strong institutions for education and health, fiscal discipline (including a moderate ratio of public debt to GDP), efficient taxation, and sound monetary policy as reflected in low and stable inflation.

The main U.S. policy used to counter the Great Recession was increased government transfer payments. Federal social benefits to persons as a ratio to GDP went from 8.7% in 2007 to 11.7% in 2010, then fell to 10.9% in 2015. The main increases applied to Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security (including disability) and food stamps, whereas unemployment insurance first rose then fell. Unfortunately, increased transfer payments do not promote productivity growth.

The 2007-08 financial crisis was also followed by vast monetary expansion involving increases in the balance sheets of the Federal Reserve and other central banks. The Fed’s expansion featured a dramatic rise in excess reserves, used to fund increased holdings of Treasury bonds and mortgage-backed securities. Remarkably, the strong monetary growth came without inflation.

The absence of inflation is surprising but may have occurred because weak opportunities for private investment motivated banks and other institutions to hold the Fed’s added obligations despite the negative real interest rates paid. In this scenario, the key factor is the flight to quality stimulated by the heightened perceived risk in private investment.

Given the need for productivity-enhancing policies, it is sad that recent policy suggestions from Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton have emphasized restrictions on trade and immigration and higher minimum wages. The former policies are equivalent to constraining technological progress. Expanded trade in goods and people is like better technology—both raise the total real value of goods and services that can be produced for given inputs. Mandating a higher minimum wage amounts to inefficient regulation of the labor market by pricing young and less-productive workers out of the job market.

At this point, it is hard to imagine U.S. policy makers participating in serious policy discussions aimed at promoting economic growth. But maybe I am too pessimistic—after all, the report on the U.S. fiscal situation in 2010 by the Simpson-Bowles Commission was very good. Too bad the Obama administration ignored it.

Do us all a favor and give this an occasional bump. I posted it this morning and it sank like a rock. But it's well worth reading.

If you're a true american you'll help keep this number for a while.

I do agree with restrictions on immigration, but this article has some points. It redpills on our anemic growth. 1.5% on average under Obama.

Okay . . . did I mention niggers and spics? Will that keep you slack-jawed fucking retards interested?

>Provides no links to source.

Are you new here or something?

Bitch, I provided everything you need.

I will fuck your rotted skull. Through one eye hole and out the other.

How you like that?

I'm being random. I'm actually from Cred Forums just blessing you ar-tards with my random bantz.

Still waiting for a link, faggot

(You)
what in the fuck is going on here

Oh, and by the way, you virgin losers, I'm a girl. Get over it.

shit thread

You're just afraid of my vagina, momma's boy.

Your dad is very beautiful. You should post him more often.

The high quality posting really gets shit on hard during election year around here.

Maybe preface it with bait next time since every retard on this board responds to every bait thread ever posted until it reaches its bump limit.

I have several kids who are taught my values. God willing, they will all have many white kids as well. They are my legacy. What is yours?

Hey. I don't need you trying to lick my ass, pal. Keep your teeth and your tongue in your mouth.

>people keep posting the photo of niggers in a Red Cross line following a fucking flood as examples of the Great Depression
Son of a bitch

>Given the need for productivity-enhancing policies, it is sad that recent policy suggestions from Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton have emphasized restrictions on trade and immigration and higher minimum wages. The former policies are equivalent to constraining technological progress. Expanded trade in goods and people is like better technology—both raise the total real value of goods and services that can be produced for given inputs.

Does this guy live in an ideal world? Maybe if we got something out of our trade deals with other countries this would be true but we lose money consistently with each passing one. Also is there any explanation for how expanded trade in its current form in the US will raise the total real value market of goods?

>my legacy. What is yours?

Check yer mom's anus, son. I've shot 6 million kids there. But let's try to be serious here, okay?

>I have several kids who are taught my values.

Hi daddy

Muh legacy

Oh, you're not taking serious responses, I guess.

I'm dead serious, buddy. What do you have?

Well, I'll tell you wut, being retarded on purpose sure gave this thread a lot more traction than it got this morning. You don't have to agree with all of it, but it's a good read.

>my vagina hurts

Don't you ever in your fucking life talk to me that way again. I have your IP you little bitch and I'll find you and hurt you. I am a big man and I demand you treat me with respect when I respond to your posts. You thought you were clever with your little proxy server didn't you? You thought I wouldn't see behind it, huh? Well now I know and there's no hiding from me. Answer me seriously or I'll be on my way. You better lock up tight if you even think about disrespecting me in public again.

The article has some flaws. But it points out some glaring facts. There hasn't been much of a recovery, for example.

Do I seriously have to shitpost to get you to respond seriously?

That was my only complaint about the article overall though. Seems like it's written by a National Review type who still thinks Trump will bankrupt America because there's no way he has experience with managing a large corporation.

Is this like some sort of poor meta-shilling on CTR's part?

Yeah, I think he's a neocon. I'm not convinced on some of his solutions.

Thanks for posting. Have a bump. Was interesting.