How do we get our attention spans back?

We live in an ever more instant gratification society. The side effect of this 140 character world is that everyone's attention spans are being whittled away.

If you want proof of this, you can try this experiment sometime. The next time you come across a video or article or some other topic that looks like something Cred Forums would definitely be interested in, try the following:

Make a thread about the topic, and in the OP, write out a very well thought out post, stating what the topic is, why it is important, a link to necessary sources, and possibly your personal opinion or viewpoint on the issue. The post should be 2,000 characters. It should probably be a longer post that you edit down, or if need be, spread out over multiple posts.

If you do this, you will find that more often than not, you will get very few short responses, probably something like,"You're a faggot," or something regarding your flag like,"LEAF."

Now, try posting the same topic, with just the related pic, a link to the topic, and a one sentence post like,"Really tickles you cerebral cortex," or "Cred Forums BTFO," or "Cred Forums will defend this," and you will be amazed at how often you end up with a 100+ post topic.

Try the same thing when replying to someone's comment. The longer and more well thought out your post, the more likely you are to have people tell you,"Wow, you must be really mad LOL! I ain't reading all that." And it's even worse outside of Cred Forums, and gets worse still outside Cred Forums.

So, how do we get our attention spans back?

Other urls found in this thread:

time.com/3858309/attention-spans-goldfish/
millennialmarketing.com/2011/05/embracing-shorter-attention-spans/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

tl;dr

Walked right into that one. FPBP

>So, how do we get our attention spans back?

Kill yourself

You are an idiot

GO THE FUCK BACK TO RED DIT YOU FUCKING ASS HOLE!

UPVOTED!!!

Yeah that's just /r/pol hard at work.
Most newfags can hardly read, much less write in a logical fashion.

Tldr
Fag

This was so obvious, it isn't clever at all. I knew as soon as I started typing the OP that I was going to get posts like this. But all you have done is prove my point.

And of course, I saw thiscoming, too.

People now have shorter attention spans than goldfish.
>The average attention span for the notoriously ill-focused goldfish is nine seconds, but according to a new study from Microsoft Corp., people now generally lose concentration after eight seconds, highlighting the affects of an increasingly digitalized lifestyle on the brain.

Source:
time.com/3858309/attention-spans-goldfish/

And if you ever want to know the truth about any cultural or societal trends, all you have to do is look at the people in marketing. They are actually developing new strategies to deal with lower attention spans, as can be seen in this article:
millennialmarketing.com/2011/05/embracing-shorter-attention-spans/

The saddest part about this article, and one that would drive Cred Forums nuts, is the fact that the author states that he recently watched 2 movies from the 50's, and they were so slow, if he hadn't been watching them on his iPad on a plane, he wouldn't have been able to finish them.

Saged

Wow that'd be really great if goldfish could do what humans do. I'm sure that nine second glass stare is truly a sight to behold

Fucking SAGED

See Cred Forums, you have done nothing but prove my fucking point. It's really sad.

There's been no fewer than 4 times in the past month that I started a thread that linked to a youtube video that was of great interest to Cred Forums and got almost no replies when I made a well thought out post in the OP. But when I made a thread linking the same video immediately after the first got archived, and did so with a one sentence OP just saying,"Look what so-and-so did," they would get between 100-300+ replies. It's pathetic.

What's even worse os the fact that so many people continuously respond to the same old fucking bait over and over again. It never ceases to amaze me when someone makes a shitty fucking thread with some Occupy Democrats picture about gun control, types,"Conservashits BTFO", never posts again in their thread (1 post by this ID), and a horde of people flow into it arguing with the non-existent OP as if hardcore liberals really come her to debate, and not realizing that it's just some troll from Cred Forums and probably Cred Forums, with 50% of the posters trying to argue, 25% trolling the 50%, P nowhere to be found, and the other 25% crying that it's a shill thread for forum sliding.

It's like some people come here just to roleplay what it would be like if they could say the things they really felt to people that they know IRL, but they are too afraid at the real world repercussions

It has gotten so much worse this past year. I know a lot of it is do to the election, but a lot of these meme loving fucks are going to stick around..

Perhaps no one gives a flying fuck enough to give you an actual reply and instead are compelled to mock your effort.

Take your little thread elsewhere self righteous cuck,

What in the fuck is wrong with you? What exactly is your argument? Because you aren't making one.

Are you positing that we DON'T have shorter attention spans? Or do you just believe that it doesn't matter?

Also, sage is not a downvote,newfag. And announcing a sage is against the rules.

I don't see that there is any other solution other than something like pic related.

"If you can't explain something simply you don't understand it at all" - (((Al Einstein)))

Stop being mad that nobody responds to your cucked long-winded posts, m8.

Yeah the OP isn't really optimal but isn't the topic important though? I know this isn't strictly speaking Cred Forums related by it seems to me that there isn't a single person in the world who would not profit from a series of exercises which could prolong his attention span.

A

Come on bro
Look at the age we live in. We rather text than talk on the same phone we use to text. These modern times require the message to be conveyed quickly and with some interesting visual/tactile/audio stimulation to embellish the message. Hence emotes etc.
Though OPs point is well intended, it doesn't pack the punch of all the things he listed which are the opposite of this thread. Being intelligent doesn't sell. Being interesting, titilating and stimulating for the parts of the brain that has nothing to do with our frontal cortex is. Sure it's perhaps a bit depressing. But it's reality. It's marketing. It's advertising. And this little micro world we call Cred Forums is no different.

>cucked
Again, you prove my point. I don't care if people do not like what I wrote. My only concern is that the majority of Cred Forumstards won't even begin to read it when they see how long it is.

I realize that the OP isn't optimal for just a broad conversation of evanescent attention spans. But I wanted to get at the topic in a way that related specifically to our board. I'm just always concerned with bettering my environment and those around me. And I don't exclude myself from the guilty. I do it to, I got used to glancing over any reply that was too long.

But I have in the past couple of months forced myself to stop ignoring long posts and read them all. By ignoring long posts, not only do you miss out on some real gems, but by reading only short posts, you are training your brain in a very negative way. It's why we have seen such a rise in the meme culture to the point it has become an issue in the fucking US presidential race.

We think in terms of language. It is how we express our thoughts. And when you just read the short posts, you're just taking in a bunch of repetitive memes, and eventually you start thinking like that and responding like that yourself.

THIS! I made a long as post about Nordicism (three full text boxes) and got 1 response which was "SHITPOSTING LEVELS HAVE NEVER GOTTEN THIS HIGH". I made a threat called "Drumpf BTFO" and got 100s of posts.

jesus will you faggots shut up

>We rather text than talk on the same phone we use to text.
God, I absolutely hate this. So many people that I do business with just want to text. I hate it when I am busy working and a client starts texting me asking questions that I could answer in literally 1 minute on the phone, but takes 5 or 10 minutes via text. And I have other business partners who don't answer the phone half the time when I call, but will answer right away if I text.

I find it interesting that marketers have been largely responsible for this trend to the point where now it is coming back to bite them on the ass because all of their old advertising tricks won't work as well anymore and they are scrambling to try and figure out how to stay relevant in this modern age. I'd be very interested to see what the effectiveness of traditional advertising has been over the past decade.

Maybe but that's not hardly as relevant as finding methods through which you can increase your ability to concentrate. There are Christian general and so on and so forth, and yet there's no "meditation" general or anything of the sort simply because we do not have anyone that has enough knowledge to lead these threads.

No.

I feel your pain. I get extremely annoyed when people disregard something a Canadian says offhand because of his flag. I really like Canadians, I think you guys are based as fuck, and some of the best threads with the most intelligent debate on complex issues I've ever had have been with Canadians.

Of course you could be trolling me right now. But assuming you're not, imagine if you made that thread about Nordicism, then immediately made another on the same subject, but instead said something like,"Christcucks eternally BTFO". You would no doubt get far more replies.

It's pathetic how many people on this board complain of shill threads, slide threads, troll threads or whatever, but never actually make good threads themselves, and don't reply and contribute to good threads others have made. The same people who complain about click bait titles, and at the same time only reply to click bait titles.

This is exactly how I feel. I used to make really long threads but after getting no replies I switched to "DRUMPF BTFO" to actually get a conversation going. It's the only way to have any activity on the board. Although I don't know what the solution would be sense censorship would only make it worse.

>Make a thread about the topic, and in the OP, write out a very well thought out post, stating what the topic is, why it is important, a link to necessary sources, and possibly your personal opinion or viewpoint on the issue. The post should be 2,000 characters. It should probably be a longer post that you edit down, or if need be, spread out over multiple posts.
I often read tl;dr posts (if they are interesting and insightful) and consider them greatly.

>So, how do we get our attention spans back?
Write the giant piece on your blog, not Cred Forums, then link to it with a short synopsis.

That being said we have to now imagine what sort of device the typical Cred Forumstard uses?

I assume more and more use phones and tablets to read and reply. They treat anything too long to read as a nuisance and will react quicker to something with a controversial picture and simply one sentence or acronym.

People don't generally have patience. And on a board which refreshes the entire first page every time one reloads it, it's pure competition to generate interest.

Serious posters have to learn how to use this tactic in their OP and then begin to really convey their message in its entirety once attention has been captured.

There's no reason why these shills with '1 post by this ID' should thrive here.

Oh, I totally agree with you. It's very important to look at an issue from the perspective of trying to find a solution. But at the same time you have to get people to accept that there is a problem.

I have tried to start threads on spirituality before, with varying levels of success. It almost always turns into a shitstorm though of atheists and straight edgers arguing against spiritual practice and psychedelics. I've said many times that Taoism is the ultimate redpill.

But even now, I feel like I have to qualify what spirituality means. People immediately equate it with religion, and especially claims on the nature of reality like Genesis. Spirituality at it's most basic fundamental core is basically selflessness and expanded consciousness. This can manifest in altruistic kindness to others and the psychedelic experience that one can gain from many different practices, from meditation, to consuming plants and mushrooms.

I have been a practicing Taoist for 20 years. It has made many incredible things manifest in my life. Qi Gong meditation is an absolutely amazing tool for cultivating many beneficial attributes, especially patience. And simplicity is also a large part of this practice. So that's not to say that something is either good or bad based on how long or complex it is. The point is, being able to describe a phenomena or express an idea as clearly and succinctly as possible. And at the same time, you have to be willing to hear others who may not be able to.

>"we"
don't rope me in with your retarded ass. It really isn't hard to focus on something.

>wah wah why won't anyone pay attention to my posts :^(
t. literally you. You should be happy you got any replies at all you fucking faggot

I have always deliberately looked for long posts for the very reason you mention, but then I'm far too old to be on Cred Forums. (Doesn't make me an oldfag however).

>Spirituality at it's most basic fundamental core is basically selflessness and expanded consciousness

That's where you're bound to lose people. You've certainly lost me.

If the goal is the restoration of our capacity for attention, then the notion of spirituality does not necessarily intervene. Attention is a cognitive function and no reference to any sort of non material realm has to be made in order to talk about the means through which one can improve it.

The important thing, in these cases, is a practice and a path to conscientiousness with regards to it.

It is interesting that you mention Qi Gong, however, since I've recently taken an interest in it and have been trying to establish a practice for a few days now. I guess it's a pure (((coincidence))). I bought some book about Shaolin Qi Gong or something of the sort. I can't barely do the five fundamental stances.

It is what it is. An anonymous image board anyone can post on.

Whining is really not going to help shit.

You're jerking yourself off. I like reason intelligible discussion and get it when I can here, but I don't expect it.

I think that attention does have to do with the non-material. I don't want to get into a philosophical debate here, but I think that consciousness is non-material.

But anyway, like I said, spirituality is misunderstood. It isn't about making any claims about the nature of reality. And I huge part of spirituality is cultivating patience.

For example, Sam Harris who is one of the so called "Four Horseman" of the atheist movement and a man he denounces and outright attacks all religions is a proponent of spirituality just based on experiences he has had from learning to meditate and experiences he has had of feeling universal love and transcendence of the self to the one. If you want to look at it from a materialistic way, you could say that we are all made up of the same matter and energy, and therefor making distinctions among us is mere illusion. These can be very difficult concepts to grasp without experiencing them firsthand, which is why many recommend psychedelics for many people.

An expanded consciousness allows you to dissolve barriers and change programmed behavior. I'd say the biggest focus of Taoism is "unlearning" or stripping away shit that you have accumulated, such as irrational fears, bad habits, prejudices, over thinking and so on.

Western science is really beginning to adopt one of the big Taoist practices of "No Mind" only they call it "mindfulness." It is a really great practice you can do in your day to day life, something you can practice at any time. If you combine that with your Qi Gong breathing techniques, you will soon begin to see a number of improvements in your life, from improving your bowel movements to an increased ability to focus and pay attention.

I'm actually not whining. I don't really care if I get replies. But I like it here. And I just want it to be a better experience for everyone. We have accomplished so many great things this election cycle, I just believe in us and we feel we have the potential to do great things. That we can breed here a new way of thinking and looking at the world that will shield us from becoming programmed cogs in the machine, and that we can welcome others into our flock and make their transition into awakening a pleasent and worthwhile experience.

>>>/yourblog/

I have tried making a thread catch on recently. The problem is even a few paragraphs are too much to catch interest.

Cred Forums needs to be redpilled on the banks. the multinational organizations. the monetary system. It's a chance for Cred Forums to really learn about Jewish influence without resorting to racist conspiracy theories. But at the same time it allows Cred Forums to vent its frustration against the Jews other than vague complaints about the media and soros.