Excessively Low Gas Prices in USA

What is with the low price of gasoline in the US /pol? How is it even possible? What is gonna happen when the price bumps back to where it was a year or so ago and beyond? What will happen to the economy when it does?

Other urls found in this thread:

telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/07/31/texas-shale-oil-has-fought-saudi-arabia-to-a-standstill/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>actually using 87
fucking women

People will go Apeshit. The price increase from the 90's/early 00's to the 10's was gradual so we accepted it. If gas instantly goes back to $4.00+ a gallon people will start burning shit.

Never again. Get used to the Future.

it'll only go up on account of taxes. Balance of trade on oil isn't nearly as bad as it used to be, and if the price shoots up again, we have plenty to send from alberta. I doubt we'll hit anywhere near $140/barrel again. $100 likely at some point in the next 5-10 years though.

Seems like the only thing floating the US economy through the last few years has been falling gas prices. It seems shaky that they have been down so long. What is keeping them down Idk.

>actually falling for the gasoline jew and paying more for the same product.

Are you interested in buying some of my Super Premium Milk? It's identical to standard milk, only it's Super Premiumâ„¢ and costs $6.99 a gallon.

Unless your car calls for higher octane, you gain nothing by using it

>How is it even possible?

A few factors.

First when the price of oil/gas was high investment was made to update refining and processing.

Now with the price low producers are going all out to cut oil production prices, while refiners are doing everything they can to consume and produce as much as they can because they have a fixed profit per unit processed.

Not so sure about that. I'd wager a dollar the day Trump seizes the Oval Office corporations start to fuck him and his presidency over anyway they can. I wouldn't be surprised if gas jumped in price when Trump wins.

>What is keeping them down Idk.
Saudis are currently trying to put the fracking industry out of business. The second they succeed prices will start turbo-climbing back to buttrape levels

KONY 2012!

>Not having an econobox k-car with a sewing machine engine that can run on cat piss and cooking oil.

So the increased cost was refineries updating, now they are updated the corporations are can passing the savings of modern refineries unto the consumers? Sounds ludicrous because the corporations could just keep prices up and rake in hand over fist.

I thought there was some oil / petro dollar war being waged? What happened to the news?

Why would it go back up, user? Oil is plentiful.

The high prices were a temporary thing, caused by the lag between demand outstripping the existing fields, and the development of the shale fields - it took time to take the necessary technology out of the R&D labs into production, acquire the oil leases, train the drillers and riggers and all the other skilled positions, and drill the tens of thousands of wells to get to this point where the US is producing more oil than it can use. But at this point adding more production is easy, just drill another hundred wells and voila. We've got hundreds of years of oil in those shale fields, user. Not all of it is recoverable now, but an awful lot if it will be recoverable over the next hundred years - there are fields in the US that are over 100 yrs old and still producing, hell there are *wells* over 100 yrs old and still producing.

We went through a similar hiccough in the 1970's when we developed offshore well technology. Oil prices stayed flat for 30 yrs until spiking demand in China and India outstripped supply, leading to the recent (late 2000's) spike.

gas prices will stay low as long as inventory on oil is as high as it is approximately. as the american oil industry has cut jobs it has increased oil production on land. not even off shore oil

china has oil, canada has oil, the uk has oil, japan, russia, almost every one in the middle east, chile ect. its called the oil glut. the price cant go up until oil goes back to 80-100 a barrel and inventory is to high for that

87 is correct for most cars, gb2/trolling/o/

Actually it's beneficial to use higher octane every once in a while in cars that normally use 87.

>hurr let's put 87 fuel into a plane and it should work, right? fuel is fuel

I can't wait for Teslas to become more economical.

Sorry fag, but I'm not going to fund the corn jew after they voted for cruz

That is what I read somewhere a while back. If that happens the US could dip into an economic cluster fuck. Seems like everyone is maxed out. If gas doubles that hits the weekly burger fund for middle to lower class.

They won't succeed. This is a power-play by the Saudis to prove they control the oil market. They even ignored OPEC. lol, but for the US this is a vanity thing to do fracking and support the oil industry here.

Kinda wish she was peeing on the handle. Kinda wish I was smelling her clit.

Oklahoma here.

US companies have cut capex and operation costs to the point that they can keep the doors open at $25 a barrel.

Saudis have FUCKED themselves. They have about 3-5 years of runway left to play this losing game. They can't maintain the ostentatious, government paid for lifestyle. Their country will collapse.

You're retarded. The economy was way better pre-2014 oil market crash. Those were the days when a high school diploma could earn you six figures in some oil rig job. Once oil lost its value, all the high paying jobs and new investment dried up.

All we have now is tech.

>paying extra to develop premature knock
these people really exist

The Saudis are dumping oil in an attempt to strangle frackers. According to their playbook, the frackers should already be dead. But they're not... they've managed to cut costs significantly

telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/07/31/texas-shale-oil-has-fought-saudi-arabia-to-a-standstill/

basically this is how the free market is supposed to work except it never does

>nobody remembers steven chu saying that he wanted our gas prices to reflect those of the ones in Europe

Dirty James
Just dirty

Nice quads dude

No it won't, user. It will go up just to the point where it's profitable to drill more shale wells, then the price will flatline. There may well be temporary fluctuations since this isn't instantaneous, but the american oil producers will pump all they can as sooon as the price goes up enough that they can make a few percent profit, and this oil flooding the market will keep prices at just over their breakeven price. This is what happened for 30 yrs from the late 70's through the mid 2000's, there's no reason to believe they've changed their basic greediness.

Well we can make a crazy titload put of shale now plus venezuela has the world largest untapped reserve so were fine for another 20 years

I am just saying there are a lot of people in the country living hand to mouth. They get their pay check and blow it every week. They see gas drop and they save a few few bucks that they use to max out their credit. Gas goes back up, they can't make the payments on whatever shit they bought and they are fucked.

When your gas prices go up, my economy does too. Quit stealing/buying sandnigger fuel and help a bro out here.

Actually we've cut too much too quickly and once market scarcity sets in we might see a really big, prolonged spike in price while US production catches back up.

>Actually it's beneficial to use higher octane every once in a while in cars that normally use 87.

No, it's not. 89/91/93 octane is WORSE, it resists knock, and is required for higher compression ratio engines/forced induction engines.

If the company advertises that it is 'cleaner' then all of their gas has the same level of additives.

Lots of DUCs out there..

Octane is gasoline's resistance to premature ignition... aka engine knock. High performance engines often have higher compression and therefore higher combustion chamber temperature which makes them more likely to prematurely ignite the fuel. These engines need higher octane.

Putting higher octane fuel in a car that was designed to run on regular will do absolutely nothing and is a total waste of money.

>87 in a plane
Actually it probably would work. I'm a pilot, a lot of light aircraft are getting re-certified to run 91 octane pump gas and really a lot of those engines used to run much lower grade aviation fuel back in the older days.... so yeah it actually probably would work.

Yep, Saudi is fucked. We've figured out how to produce shale oil fairly cheaply in the last few years, and it'll only get cheaper as the cost of that R&D is amortized, and new processes and technology are developed

Disgusting skank. I enjoy the smell of gas not your leg hole

"LOL look at me fill up my gas tank with my vajayjay exposed xDDDD"
>be women
>go to gas station to fill up car with gas
>still have to act like a slut
Women are incapable of doing anything without been a whore.
I'm not a fag or anything but it's fucking stupid, giving them rights was the worst decision man has ever made in history.

None of that indicates a good economy. Sure, some kikes may be making a bit more money because the low gas prices have caused people to take advantage of it by getting around and spending money. Doesn't mean anything for anyone else though

You know what? For as much flak as the faggots get, we all know a man doing this would look fine. Vaginas need coverings. Too exposed and wafty

I never understood the Saudi's strategy. The shale isn't going anywhere. even if they put all of the current guys out of business someone else will just come along and start drilling it again once the price went back up.

Hell the strategy isn't even working. Shale is still making some money with very low operating costs.

I mean if someone sees a way this could hurt the long term oil industry in america I'd like to know. but it looks like those desert cavemen are just pissing themselves for no reason.

Unlikely. Drilling has already stsrted ramping back up simply because production costs have dropped enough that it's now profitable to produce oil for prices that were bankrupcy-inducing just two years ago. The Saudis are so seriously fucked.

depends on ur car m8. If u drive a shitbox from the 90's u probably just use regular. If you have a turbo like an impreza or something then use the 89-90 octane.

Exactly right my Google!

Anyone else well enough off that $2.50/gallon vs $4.00 or even $5 isn't that big of a deal?

I understand the price of industry/transportation goes up but think about it: did stuff really get that much more expensive when gas was higher... or cheaper with it being lower?

>pilots and engine experts shitposting on a vietnamese upvote board

You want gas prices to go back up? Fucking oil industrial shill detected.

Be fucking ready up here in ND for the price to stay low. We're gonna drill more and more when the Robot Rigs come out...that's right no more oil workers, just oil. The Middle East is so fucking Fucked!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because oil is bought and sold using US dollars. Iraq tried to be funny and started using Euros. When the Iraq regime failed, it went back to the US currency.

People say we fought the war for oil. but it doesn't matter who gets the oil. The only thing that matters is that the oil is sold using our currency.

Yes, I would say $2.50 vs. $4.00 is HUGE. $5 gas is absolutely horrific.

If you're a NEET who doesn't drive anywhere, you may not notice the effects.

>why is gas such a low price
wow maybe it has something to do with us being at war with nearly every single top producer of it

Are you saying the Iraq war wasn't a total waste of $6 trillion dollars?

There was a lot of price increases at the time of high gas. Most of the prices did not go down when gas dropped. Trucking and shipping costs during high gas prices pushed cost of goods up across the board. Anyone shopping for groceries during this time should have noticed the effect if they were semi conscious of their economic environment.

Fucking oath.

Supply and fucking demand cunts, doesn't matter how many cronys, goys and gubment shills try to manipulate the market.

>SUPPLY
AND
>DEMAND

You blokes should be pumping this shit straight into your twin turbo V8s, not whingeing.

as long as oil is traded in dollars, they will continue to print money. A gold back currency would be disastrous for the US, but as long everyone sticks to the status quo and uses fiat money, that trillion dollars means shit.

This.

My auto insurance has skyrocketed though. Too many fucking illegals on the road causing damage. As well as all these bigger companies buying the little ones and creating a cartel monopoly. Esurance which has bad reviews is owned by allstate I found out today. Berkshire Hathaway aka Warren Buffet Baffoon owns Geico. Your other options are 21st and farmers (expensive). I had 21st but even they raised prices.

>>Supply and demand > Some jackass' words
>This.
This.

Well I go through about a tank of gas/week and it's currently running maybe $30-35/fillup. So if that goes to $60/fillup that would suck but we're only talking about $30/week.

I mean $30 less in my pocket sucks but that hasn't been a lot of money to me since I was a kid.

We don't want your faggot oil

>leaf
>leaf
L
E
A
F

A fucking woo

Now's the perfect time to store up gas in barrels so you can sell it later for a high price.

supply and demand mother fucker.

Why, (((gouging))) of course. Every time the price of gas goes up a penny, the media will release stories of refiners (((gouging))) consumers.

#IStandWithKony

The Arabs are losing money hand over fist but are still pumping the oil as fast as they can. The reason is because America was looking into alternate fuels, fracking, etc... When they dropped the price of oil and kept it there, this has shuttered roughly half of the companies that were trying to make America self sufficient from the filthy Arabs. Once those companies are shut down, bend over goyim, fat Arab dicks ramming your asshole until it bleeds.

Think about it on a mass industrial scale. That kind of increase will effect any industry that uses petroleum as a fuel source, which is like everything.

The cost is not only going to effect your gas prices, mostly everything will go up in price. So indirectly your pocketbook will take a hit from things other than just filling up your gas tank.

Must be nice. I burn a tank a week @ $110 a tank

Or you could just fucking get into commodities trading? It's much easier than filling up fucking barrels and will give you profits just the same.

Pretty much, the Sauds can't stop their massive seawater injection program on Ghawar until the field is tapped out. The Russkies got some supply left and NA - SA will start to pump hard after that. By the 21st century is over though it will be the end of the oil age and should be down to under two billion people. Energy is life and lack of it is death when living in the oil age. Interdasting times and except big shocks down the road!

>tfw mississippi
>one of the states with the cheapest gas in the US

Gas is currently $1.77 per gallon where I live. Gas got as low as $1.22 earlier this year. How does this make you feel Good-State cucks?

That and Hillary promised to kill there enemies for them if they would drop oil prices (to fuck over Russia) Venezuela was just a lucky side product.

In the name of Kek, Christ-chan, and the Memes, Awoo

At least your PM is importing refugees and working tirelessly to make sure Canada becomes a humanitarian superpower rivaling none other than Sweden.

because we are losing the dollar to the Chinese i keep telling you guys this, but i keep getting called anigger.

Nigger

Yeah, I forgot about Russia.

Yeah, I commute 140 miles per day roundtrip. It's made a WORLD of difference to me.

Most people don't realize the role refineries play.

TWFs are more of a threat. Fuck backdoor immigration. Companies paying imported flippers 17/h to fuck up constantly instead of licensed Canadian journeymen.

>How is it even possible?
Simple Supply& Demand concept . Less fuel demand is also a signal that people aren't out driving around, and shopping (Stimulating the economy) like good goys.

We aren't going to see real high gas prices for a while. But they are expected to go up. Most shale wells decrease 33% year over year. There's really been no drilling for 18 months now. American production has decreased over a million barrels a day since it's recent peak. Global consumption continues to grow.

Gas is only still low, because OPEC continues to pump at a record pace. Without their increased production, we'd be at an equilibrium by now. But they can't afford this. Energy companies are hurting right now, but so are OPEC and Russian governments.

Saudi Arabia is especially fucked. 2/3 of the population is under 30. They don't allow sex outside of marriage. Parents wont let their daughter marry someone who lives with their parents. Normally the government would give you a do nothing job, or enough welfare to buy a house. They can't afford to hire or give away anything now. They also have an ever increasing demand, that would make them a net importer by 2035.

then stop buying a million barrels a day

As always I am glad that I never have to live in Mississippi.

well i am sure the gas smell helped eliminate some of the fishiness.

Youre not smart enough to figure out how to live well in MS like I can.

cuckboooyyyyyy

We didn't need to. There were a lot of drilled but uncompleted wells from the crash, that were getting completed and going into production as the price/delivery contracts warranted. Driling started back up a few months ago. There won't be a significant spike, at least not for long, not for many decades. We're moving back into a price-stable period like the late 70's through mid 2000's.

If you pay a shit ton to modify your Cessna to run diesel with an STC, maybe. 100LL is what they run.

>Real men use Jet-A

Are you that fag from the other day who says he works for American Eagle but really works for PSA?

I'm in Alabama and its $2

>live well in MS
>live well in a swamp-filled, disease-ridden dumping-ground of thieves and murderers.

okay.

>not understanding the internal combustion engine

US conquers venezuela, calling it

>Driling started back up a few months ago

The rig count has been continually rising, but it usually by 5 or less a week. When oil was at $100 there was 1500 rigs active, right now it's 1/3 of that.

Can't really tell if you're disagreeing. I think there's room for a happy medium of about $60 that most producers globally can handle.

I hope we bleed the Saudis dry. I hope their children will ride camels instead of cars and SUVs.

Just add a detergent to the 87 every 6 months or so. No need to pump 89/91.

Using quality 87 from a distributor that uses additives (shell, Chevron, Mobil, etc) vs the "cheaper" 87 from ampm and such will keep fuel system clean.

I wouldn't mind living in Mississippi if I had a wife or something. But since I don't I'm sure as hell not gonna move there single and expect to meet a wifeable woman.

>Blue state tries to insult a state
I can replace swamp-filled with cheesteak-filled and say the exact same thing about PA.
And what the lynching fuck is a Philadelphia? Sounds horrible...

I can confirm that I havent seen a wife in I dont know how long

>cheesteak-filled
Glorious.

>Philadelphia
Every family has a retard.

>what's keeping them down

the question you should be asking is why they were so high in the first place

people got used to getting fucked up the ass with stupidly high prices that they thought it was the new normal

Thats some sweet damage control you got there. Pennsylvania is trash you blue state spooch mooch

>$4.25 a gallon

Went to the Hummer dealership and bought an H3 at their going out of business sale.

>$15k off of sticker price

Traded it in for a BMW 5 series two year later

>Got $3k more for the car in trade than I paid for it

>gas was $2/gallon.

What a time to be alive.

>trying to put the fracking industry out of business

ironically, they're putting themselves out of business. with oil prices pushed low by saudi's, oil companys are searching high and low for cheap new oil... whether it comes from discovering an entirely new type of oil extraction that is cheap as dirt or if they continue to innovate existing oil extraction (fracking, oil sand bitumen, etc) till it becomes profitable at these prices set by the saudis and their market flooding.

their time is coming. the united states fracking industry is eventually going to fuck the saudi's in the ass. my guess is once the us doesnt need the saudis anymore, theyll become a bit more friendly with iran out of spite for 911

The building boom in Calgary is proof of this. 5 years ago the sky was the limit.

There is so much $100/barrel oil in NA it isn't even funny. What's amazing is that our gas prices aren't that much different now than when oil was at that price.

You do realize alot of gas stations use the same gas for all octanes dont you?

He's the guy with the 6 cylinder, base model Mustang that wants to talk about cars nonstop.

So no, he has no clue.

Also, I've had cars that say you need premium, and I'm too much of a Jew to pay for it. Never had an issue, it's retarded.

There are STCs out there for a lot of piston singles to run "mogas" which is just 91 octane pump gas that has no ethanol. Some aircraft only need the paperwork and no actual modification.

Jet-A diesels are neat but won't be common for a while.

Also, no I don't work for an airline I just fly for fun.

Still have my CFI after all these years. There are some pretty cool things going on in GA right now.

It's pretty stupid that we are still hanging on to a fuel standard based on 1960s Lycoming engines when there are so many innovations going on.

How to you guys get the "mogas" to the plane? Jerry Cans from the local Shell station?

gas is $1.75 near my house, its glorious

1.79 right now.

US is already the largest producer of oil in the world and controls the gulf which has more oil than the entire middle east. Saudi is fucked.

Gas is never too low, faggot

>It's pretty stupid that we are still hanging on to a fuel standard based on 1960s Lycoming engines when there are so many innovations going on.

Sadly, we're pretty much running the same 1960s Lycoming engines in... almost everything. I sure wish we could have something with electronic fuel injection and a modern electronic ignition system.... but nobody can afford to get one certified I guess.

>How to you guys get the "mogas" to the plane? Jerry Cans from the local Shell station?

This is how some do it, others have stuff ranging from pickup truck mounted tanks to small fuel trailers. I haven't done the modification on my plane because it costs $3,000 and since I often fuel up at remote airports that don't have mogas it just wouldn't be worth it.

Saudis are already feeling the crunch. They were living high on the oil profits, the locals get cushy government-related jobs, and there are foreign contractors all over the place. And the line of succession issues could lead to some bad stuff going on.

Meanwhile, they've got the threat of OPEC and especially Iran ignoring quota limits. And then there's Venezuela getting fucked over by the low prices too.

They fucked over Texas in the 80s by cutting prices, but it's not going to be so easy this time, especially if the frackers can keep producing at low prices. I would expect that the exploration and drilling was the expensive part of fracking, so they have a real chance.

No tard. A couple people already covered it, but the demand was out pacing supply, which caused a price spike. When it was high, companies went "holy shit, if we can refine X times faster/better...we'll be even more rich". This also happened on the production side, with fracking tech rapidly developed as it was profitable at such a high barrel/$.

Now we have tons of more/better infastructure because we assumed oil would stay high/demand would grow even more. But the sand googles decided to be cheeky cunts and fuck our shit up familia.

>implying American Eagle is a job to be proud of

What is this, 2006?

fuck all y'all. You guys over in the south or other flyover states?

>mfw when local gas is 2.75 for 93

Try getting a car with a nice big turbo or supercharger and floor it with skunk piss gasoline getting injected into the engine.

COME AND TAKE IT RAGHEADS

Dallas, TX

What plane do you have? I've been looking at 1970s 172/182s. I'm itching to buy one, but I don't know if it's worth it or not. I'd like to get 3 people and bags 500 miles at a go, but I don't know if I'll be able to manage that or not with a Cessna that isn't a 210 or better. I got my multi-engine in a shitty Piper, so it might have led me to disregard them, and Beech's are really expensive.

What do you suggest in the $50k price range? A friend of mine just bought a nice Bonanza, but it was $90k, a bit rich for me. I haven't flown GA in a long time, but I'm cool with a plain old OBS and simple nav radios. I don't need a G1000 or anything like that.

I fill my motorcycle up with about 7 bucks and its good for 60-70 miles.

>implying the jews don'tt control the oil industry with war
There hasn't been much war lately since the blacks are trying to save America from their corrupt police force. Expect a major happening within a few years that attempts to bring America into another war.

That guy said it, not me.

>10 year upgrade on the Saab with the hope to someday flow to AA under a bunch of TWA furloughs
>2002

Of course, now they are paying first year RJ shits $50k/year with a signing bonus. Maybe I'm the idiot (didn't work for Eagle).

It's amazing how many of us shitpost on this board on boring overnights.... Really rustles the cranium cashews.

>also, anything US Air is poison for your career, but you knew that

Like the majestic boer, we have designed a way of life to not just survive but also prosper in a hazardous enviroment filled with black people.

Higher Oil prices is actually a good thing, if Oil prices go any lower than they are now the economy will tank, that's exactly what happened earlier this year.

Americans shouldn't have to pay for gas. Foreigners should pay double, and ragheads should be banned from using internal combustion at all.

>ctrl+f
>vw

nowhere else in the thread but my own ID.

all this bullshit about gas and nobody brings up how VW TDI's got BTFO for having too-good mpg.

Thanks

Vw is great and all if you can do your own upkeep. Otherwise repair costs are really prohibitive

I can't wait to shitpost on Cred Forums while commuting to work

Prices aren't going to go up for awhile.
Russian and American oil companies have to exit, which will take awhile since most of the cost was fixed entry costs that are now just sunk costs they don't care about.
Also OPEC would have to control firms cheating the cartel which will be difficult.
These prices are here to stay for awhile.