/og/ - ORTHODOX GENERAL

If you don't have an Orthodox parish in your area, send an email to Ancient Faith Ministries and ask them to put a mission to your area

Understanding how divorce works in Orthodoxy
Mass Baptisms in the Philippines

romancatholicsmetorthodoxy.wordpress.com/2016/09/18/philippines-february-3-2016-99-baptized-in-mass-baptism-into-orthodoxy/

workersectingreece.wordpress.com/2016/09/18/december-2015-new-orthodox-baptisms-in-philippines-two-filipino-protestant-bishops-four-pastors-and-their-flock/

romancatholicsmetorthodoxy.wordpress.com/2016/09/17/september-26-2015-mass-baptism-in-kiamba-philippines-187-former-philippine-independent-catholic-church-members-baptized-orthodox-christians/

workersectingreece.wordpress.com/2016/09/18/december-2015-new-orthodox-baptisms-in-philippines-two-filipino-protestant-bishops-four-pastors-and-their-flock/

romancatholicsmetorthodoxy.wordpress.com/2016/09/18/philippines-february-3-2016-99-baptized-in-mass-baptism-into-orthodoxy/

Orthodox hymns
Aramaic: youtube.com/watch?v=9nJP-4JzMhQ
Greek: youtube.com/watch?v=AE1FzSC8DBs
Spanish: youtube.com/watch?v=xc91xrGtaKo
Serbian: youtube.com/watch?v=DUCF4ZXpIuU
Bulgarian: youtube.com/watch?v=3wm4RlnnaOU
French: youtube.com/watch?v=GI92g8JWwn8
Arabic: youtube.com/watch?v=Y8r5r4R2yuE
English: youtube.com/watch?v=LUjtgV6OPBM
German: youtube.com/watch?v=2bYq1BqHURs
Chinese: youtube.com/watch?v=PS1uf0oQCg4
Russian: youtube.com/watch?v=hQAgrCuKwPc
Romanian: youtube.com/watch?v=M-rgQve74BI

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s1RhCRUttX5d
youtube.com/watch?v=u3d_yxJhmjk
youtube.com/watch?v=Utf0C_vEHq4
youtube.com/watch?v=yeRXbLAIPcU
youtube.com/watch?v=5PwYEyBNXKs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donation_of_Constantine).
pastebin.com/bN1ujq2x
saintandrew.net/files/catechumen info/Catechumen_Renunciations_and_Affirmations_Form.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=XP0J2eDPIjU
youtube.com/watch?v=fHZtbnaXuGk
youtube.com/watch?v=QxcOv4zPoVo
youtube.com/watch?v=noetoc2W4Pc
youtube.com/watch?v=u0iOBOIwQ2o
youtube.com/watch?v=qDoyZtkrU0s
youtube.com/watch?v=XN6UNVwlRbk
bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-06-16/the-orthodox-church-stays-in-the-dark-ages
nytimes.com/2016/09/14/world/europe/russia-orthodox-church.html?_r=0
youtube.com/watch?v=0pqax_dPgTk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_doctrine
youtube.com/watch?v=5bWHSpmXEJs
vocaroo.com/i/s0dylRZMj0aF
youtube.com/watch?v=bSe0E1Mp2Ss
youtube.com/watch?v=EujDxGh0TOI
youtube.com/watch?v=Z8fjENN9GbA
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_of_the_Latins
youtube.com/watch?v=sAnsZRV-VbI
youtube.com/watch?v=8cuimdSqur0
youtu.be/AqrW5kBWgvo
prudencetrue.com/images/TheLadderofDivineAscent.pdf
holytrinity-lansing.org/index.php/news/102/109/The-Sin-We-Stopped-Feeling-Sorry-For/d,betterDetails.htm
pravoslavie.ru/english/93828.htm
events.orthodoxengland.org.uk/tag/usury/
globalresearch.ca/interest-free-banking-russia-debates-unorthodox-orthodox-financial-alternative/5495331
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_pagans_in_the_late_Roman_Empire
mountainman.com.au/essenes/codex_theodosianus.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Best general

Does the idea of unforgivable sin exist in Orthodox Christianity?

Damn, threads are being bumped fast tonight.

You mean Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit?

Denying the existence Holy Spirit, for instance.

Fuck it. It's the closest thing shitslam

Show me the qts

Orthodoxy has icons. Islam allows no such thing. The two are entirely different, boris

My area is already full of them, but they appear to be a great addition, so I support this notion. Used to live near a hive of Antiochans and they had the most modestly nice looking yards around.

I think that is forgivable. The issue with that is attributing the Holy Spirit's actions to Satan, and being a learned, religious Jew who knows better.

Come Lord Jesus.

Can confirm additionally that they have qts. Young folks going on a Sunday tend to be remarkably well-dressed, especially compared to what you'd expect at a typical Roman Catholic church.

Antiochian Orthodox in the U.S. are mostly converts.

I have nothing against faith really, it is part of human conscious, what triggers me are churches and fat pope businesmen we have here in Russia. Fuck them.

Orthodox Churches are beautiful, tho

Really? It seemed like they were predominantly second-wave Eastern European immigrants. I accidentally blocked this one old guy's driveway once and he left a note on my windshield written with a highlighter on torn piece of paper towel and then shook his fist and yelled at me when I went to move my car.

I hadn't been so ashamed in a long time, but it was also super comfy.

Antiochians outside of the U.S. are mainly Syrians, dude.

In the U.S., yes, they are mostly converts

Wait, is that Natalia?

Yeah

vocaroo.com/i/s1RhCRUttX5d

holy shit

Get redpilled, my friend

Hmmmm. I'll have to give that some thought when I go back to see where I used to live. I really didn't see much of any evidence of Levantine influence. Something not too far off from white Greeks was my guess. But whatever it is, it was at least entrenched enough to be multigenerational, so the conversion would had to have happened a while back.

And there are a lot of orthodox churches here of one particular kind or other clearly built a few generations back or more during the period of high European immigration.

CAPTAIN POWER

Funny that I ran into this thread today, earlier today I was watching this video: youtube.com/watch?v=Utf0C_vEHq4

Is it normal for christians in that area of the world to wear headscarfs (I dont want to label them incorrectly as hijabs)?

That's possible, but Antiochians always do their services (in America) in English, and they build more missions than anyone else, that's why they tend to converts. Even 70% of their clergy, in America, are converts.

For worship, Orthodox women generally wear headscarf because of 1 Corinthians 11:5. It's not required, but it's pretty common

youtube.com/watch?v=yeRXbLAIPcU

I suppose that fits. I don't stop by these threads often, but one time I was talking to an Antiochian and he gave me a youtube service to listen to and encouraged me to come check out the curious church down the road that had caught my attention.

>i bought four of these motherfuckers where's the fourth
lol im FUCKING FUNNNY

Here is the standard Orthodox Sunday Morning service in English: youtube.com/watch?v=5PwYEyBNXKs

IS THAT MUMMY?

I dont really know about all of the differences between all of the different branches of Christianity. But if I were to ever convert (currently agnostic), I dont want to be a part of whatever the fuck the current pope is. And I also detest the fundamentalist evangelics from the 80s, who made their entire religion look like a freak show.

I might read into Orthodox Christianity. I guess it will do me good to read into all of the different types and compare them. But hey, at least the orhodox women actually follow these simple rules in the book.

Australia, give it up, Canada has you beat

There are a ton of kinds of Christianity to chose from. What makes Orthodoxy so special, is that it's the kind Christ himself started. Almost all the other kinds started over a thousand years later (The Roman Catholic Church started with the "Donation of Constantine": en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donation_of_Constantine).

I have put a ton of research into Buddhism, and I find the Theravada branch most interesting because of that very reason (Theravada is the first ever branch of buddhism). Why would a founder of a religion set specific goals if he didnt intend for them to be followed in the first place? Maybe Orthodoxy will ring that same bell with me.

Orthodox do still follow the rules. For instance, the NT prohibits eating blood (acts 15:29). The Catholic Church says this is no longer in effect, but the Orthodox follow it.

Ten differences between Orthodox and Catholicism.

1. Orthodox reject inheritability of sin. Death and suffering are human nature, we only don't suffer them when partaking in perfect synergism with God's energies, which we haven't since the fall.

2. The Orthodox reject the "satisfaction theory of atonement". The Orthodox subscribe to "Christus Victor" (the idea of atonement illustrated in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe).

3. Hell in Orthodoxy is not separation from God. Hell, like heaven, is experiencing the full radiance of God's light and presence, but with a negative relationship so that it is like fire.

4. The Orthodox reject the idea that our understanding of dogma develops. The idea is to keep the exact same understanding the Apostles have, invented terminology is not meant to develop the understanding, but to PROTECT it from being "developed".

5. Catholics define usury as excessive interest, Orthodox define usury as any interest.

6. The Orthodox reject the Catholic idea of supererogation.

7. The Orthodox reject Purgatory. The Orthodox do, however, distinguish Sheol (called "Hades" in Greek) from Gehenna.

8. Orthodoxy places enormous emphasis on fasting, in fact more than half the days of the year involve some sort of fast. And there are even some days which are total fasts, no intake, period. Two consistent fast days (almost every Wednesday and Friday, no meat, dairy, eggs, fish, oils or wine) trace back at least to the Didache.

9. Orthodox draw most of their priests from the married laity, but most of their bishops from monks.

10. Infants can and do receive Holy Communion.

Get fucked seppo cunt.

Beautifully put

I remember you posting this list a while ago whilst scanning pol. Thanks for this, I will read more deeply into it.

Orthodox pastebin
pastebin.com/bN1ujq2x

>Form for converts
saintandrew.net/files/catechumen info/Catechumen_Renunciations_and_Affirmations_Form.pdf

>Orthodox cartoon
youtube.com/watch?v=XP0J2eDPIjU

>Comparison of Orthodox and Catholic services
youtube.com/watch?v=fHZtbnaXuGk
youtube.com/watch?v=QxcOv4zPoVo

>Comparison of Orthodox and Catholic Liturgical hymns
youtube.com/watch?v=noetoc2W4Pc
youtube.com/watch?v=u0iOBOIwQ2o
youtube.com/watch?v=qDoyZtkrU0s
youtube.com/watch?v=XN6UNVwlRbk

>Media Attacks Orthodox Church
bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-06-16/the-orthodox-church-stays-in-the-dark-ages
nytimes.com/2016/09/14/world/europe/russia-orthodox-church.html?_r=0

>Putin's faith in his own words

>Verses backing up veneration and intercession
Exodus 18:7
Joshua 7:6
1 Kings 13:6

>Based Patriarch
youtube.com/watch?v=0pqax_dPgTk

Orthodox Church on immigration
>Such an important aspect of modern life like mass migration is not left unattended. Unlike the Catholic approach that unduly favors migrants, particularly in Europe, the Orthodox notices the negative nature of the process, as well as the fact that it leads to confrontation of different identities and value systems. In addition, the Orthodox Church propose to look at the roots of this phenomenon. The reason for the migration is the liberal, hedonistic ideology bleeding the peoples of Europe and the interests of the capitalist elite, who need a cheap and disenfranchised workforce:

>Attempts by indigenous people of the rich countries to stop the migration flow are futile, because they come in conflict with the greed of their own elites who are interested in the low-wage workforce

Thanks

Sure thing

Orthodox are Muslim tier retarded. They even wear the same stupid hijab.

Orthodox are by far the most conservative
see, for instance

>This thinking of Newman had a major impact on the Bishops at the Second Vatican Council, and appears in their statement that ″the understanding of the things and words handed down grows, through the contemplation and study of believers, ... (which) tends continually towards the fullness of divine truth."[1]

>Orthodox Christians tend to be far more conservative and suspicious of change than either Roman Catholics or Protestants. As such, many Orthodox theologians reject the concept of doctrinal development outright

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_doctrine

Not generally outside of worship though.

bump because im trumped out for the night.

Protestants > all the demon Xtians

Is that so?
youtube.com/watch?v=5bWHSpmXEJs

she seems cool

Not to me

I have a lesbian Univeralist minister in the family (or whatever exact word they use for it) and she's really cool as well. But it seems like a bunch of pagan bullshit for the most part and I wouldn't turn to that for spiritual needs.

On the other hand my old church got a hold of a retired cop as a deacon. He's cool as fuck and lays out dope homilies when the let him do it, but you can see he's a man who decided to repurpose the rest of his life to serve God, and I would definitely strongly consider his advice even though he doesn't have a degree from a divinity school or anything like that.

Any idea if it's easy to transition from Lutheran to Orthodox?

Apparently there's a Greek Orthodox church in my city. All the Lutheran synods in the US have really moved left so there's no point in wasting time on a Sunday in their churches.

The guy who in charge of the classes at my parish (under the priest's supervision) is a converted Lutheran.

vocaroo.com/i/s0dylRZMj0aF

Can somebody explain what "Orthodox" means exactly? From what I can gather, it pretty much means the churches to the east of the Catholic church and not any one church, since you have the Russian church vs the Greek church and a few others. If this is true, then why are the ethnic Ethiopian, Armenian, and other churches not considered orthodox?

They are all one Church. They just don't have a Pope, but they have councils together, and if you are ordained in one, you're ordained in all, and can take Communion in all. It's just decentralized as far as leadership goes.

Armenian and Ethiopian are Oriental Orthodox (as are Copts), Greek and Russian are Eastern. Literally the only difference is Oriental say Christ is one nature, human and divine, and Eastern say Christ is two natures, human and divine. They are de jure two separate churches, but de facto one, since they frequently commune together.

ONLY JEWS KNOW THE TRUTH ABOUT JESUS.
youtube.com/watch?v=bSe0E1Mp2Ss

Orthodox women wear hijab to church... Cucked by islam

C U C K E D
U
C
K
E
D

Islam stole it from Orthodoxy, idiot.

If I was standing next to a qt like that during Mass I wouldn't be able to concentrate, Lord forgive me.

Also Roman Catholic vs. Orthorox you can think of roughly as the Roman Empire splitting into its Western and Eastern halves as it fell apart. There are technical disagreements between the two, which is probably what you're interested in, but that geopolitical reality is not to be ignored when wondering why we have different words for them.

Yeah, but the politics also tied into the technical disagreements. For instance, the Filioque was largely adopted by the Pope because Henry II of Germany demanded it.

And, of course, the Pope's authority was primarily about politics, not about ruling Christian doctrine. The Catholic view of the Pope stemmed from the Donation of Constantine, a Medieval forged document used to give the Pope power over kings. It was that document that caused the schism.

The two are basically inseparable. Jumping ship to the Americas, Mormons taking over Utah, Islam as a political device, Khazars adopting Judaism. The Schism as you just pointed out.

Religion is 100% on topic for a board about politics.

Women covering their head in worship was an ancient Jewish practice which is also supported by the NT

You shill, you post this shitty image of this TIMID MOUSE WOMAN again I will rise up out of my grave and drag you out of yours and fucking set you before the throne of God. Christianity is about perseverance and courage. You post good icons, not this frail shit you hear me? You are a shill

>3. Hell in Orthodoxy is not separation from God. Hell, like heaven, is experiencing the full radiance of God's light and presence, but with a negative relationship so that it is like fire.

This directly contradicts the Bible pretty much every time hell is mentioned.

The Bishop in Rome (the Pope) and the eastern churches had fundamental disagreements from the very beginning, as we were still trying to figure out what Christianity would be. The actual strict split or Schism we have now is a result of a mutual excommunication of each church of the other in around 1054, long after the actual fall in the west. The western church continued in the west while the political system did not.

I have a treat for you
youtube.com/watch?v=EujDxGh0TOI

This man quotes Psalm 118:6 saying
The Lord is mine and I will not fear what a man does to me.

I don't see that in this woman.

Hebrews 12:29
Psalm 97:3

>The Bishop in Rome (the Pope) and the eastern churches had fundamental disagreements from the very beginning
Not really.

Ukranian detected. Poklonska isn't timid and has persevered through alot, including assassination attempts and beatings.

Blessed are the meek.

>still worshipping a kike on a stick instead of your own heritage

Why don't you embrace the true european gods?

Going to a greek orthodox church on sunday. Anything i need to know? Is it okay if i just sit in the back and listen/watch? I dont really know if im supposed to do anything

but you're american

2nd generation swedish immigrant

Bowing, sign of the cross, kissing the Gospel (if you get there during Orthros), etc. You'll know what to do because everyone else will do it. You can't receive the Eucharist though.

I am a convert. If I have the choice, I go to the Antiochian churches, and then the Russian ones. Russians/Antiochians tend to use more English, from my experience.

Maybey not 'fundamental', but little disagreements were blown wayyyyy out of proportion by all sects in existence in the early years.

Your pictures speak nothing of this in the spirit.

degenerate

I'll be waiting for you

The Orthodox have plenty of Western Church Fathers

My picture is meekness, yours is weakness

faggot

How degenerate can you get?

What's weak about a Prosecutor General?

As long as you have been baptized, yes it is relatively easy.

>Hebrews 12:29
"For our God is a consuming fire"

This is talking about God, not hell. Not sure how you could get this confused, unless you think all fire references in the Bible are hell.

>Psalm 97:3
"Fire shall go round before Him, and burn up his enemies round about."
That is not a description of hell. See above.

Let's see what the Bible actually says about the gehenna of fire (hell).

Luke 13:28
In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but yourselves being thrown out.

Thrown out of where? If they are getting thrown out of God's presence, where do they go? And there are no tears in heaven, so these people are certainly not weeping in paradise.

Matthew 7:23
And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

Jesus sends them out of His presence. This utterly destroys the idea that heaven = hell, where do you guys come up with this crap?

Islam is a poser.

youtube.com/watch?v=Z8fjENN9GbA

Natalia talking about faith and having a chapel built outside the prosecutors office.

You're icons are total shit, nobody is inspired by this clueless vapid look on this woman's face in the photo or the painted icon. Just because they dress the part it doesn't' mean they have the spirit within them.

Find better icons, find better saints. You find better men who have the fear of God in them and that is shown in their eyes.

It's Gabriel Or Raphel, can't read this shit

The Kingdom of God is the Church, they are out of Communion with God, not a part of his Body

What is this describing?
Deuteronomy 4:24

What fire is being experienced here?

Welp, time to trigger Greeks today

4th Crusade
t
h

C
r
u
s
a
d
e

>2nd generation
Get on the real American tier; My family has been here since 1698.

>Weakening Byzantine Empire
>Accelerating downfall
>Removing shield of Europe
>Allowing sandniggers into the Balkans, Austria, and Poland.

Just go to /his/, we need as many religious neckbeards as we can find!

dude in the middle of the front row is making 10/10 power stance

Time to trigger Latins

BATTLE ON THE ICE

Gabriel is really into wearing blue, it always throws me off.

>this easily triggered

>Ignoring Western Europe's cuckery in the name of profits

How do I get one of these orthodox qt 3.14

Also, I am Northern European.

Is interracial marriage allowed in the Orthodoxy? A qt I've been dating is Orthodox.

Be Orthodox and not be a bum, and you're set.

Been reading Ressentment by Scheler, he refutes Nietzsche on his claims that Christianity is founded on resentment, the inversion of values, etc. I'm surprised you anons don't talk about this book more often, considering all the Nietzschean fedoras out there

They're permitted so long as both are Orthodox, but also discouraged.

>not orthodox

I'm out

Well, your woman-stealing ass should be.

Nietzsche is just elevated rhetoric, like Shakespeare. He knew this, his work is not intended to be a serious argument, his version of history is just a vehicle to express his philosophy, he doesn't use any methodology.

>The Kingdom of God is the Church, they are out of Communion with God, not a part of his Body

This has nothing to do with hell. Can you please stay on topic.

>What is this describing?
>Deuteronomy 4:24
>What fire is being experienced here?

This says that God is a consuming fire. Does fire = hell? Where does it say people getting thrown into hell are getting thrown into God?

Do you seriously think the kingdom of heaven = the gehenna of the damned?

"Get out of my presence", "weeping and gnashing of teeth", these are not descriptions of God's presence.

But you have the words of Jesus Himself, if you don't listen to Him, why would you listen to me?

Matthew 8:11-12

"I say to you that many will come from east and west, and recline at the table with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven; but the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

Discouraged? How so.
And I've been non-denominational Cristian my whole life, would I still have to convert?

Churches are probably the only thing with at least some architectural taste and value in most russian cities, especially small ones.

>not paying merchant princes
>expecting them not to care
We forgave Byzantine genocide. No way the Byzantines lying again would ever fly.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_of_the_Latins

God sustains literally everything, nothing exists without him actively permeating and sustaining it. When with the Second Coming, we will all acutely feel that presence, more overwhelming than anything imaginable, and it will either be positive, or negative. Those with the positive experience will have full Communion with God and *Theosis*, the others will feel God but their very being will be at odds with him, producing intense agony.

Nice proxy, OP. You're obviously a Brit.

Orthodoxy not teaches that demons and sinners will be in Paradise. Orthodoxy teaches that God's presence will everywhere, in hell too. After the Last Judgment will transform this world. sse Rich man and Lazarus
23. And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
25. But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
26. And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.
(Luke 16:23-26)

My parish's manual discourages it on the grounds that it less likely to produce a harmonious marriage.

Sample conversion form from the Antiochian Church in America

The only contemporary source for the Massacre of the Latins is William of Tyre. Contemporary Venetian and Genoese sources only mention great damages and an expulsion of merchants and moneylenders.

People are more than their jobs. Devotion to God transcends career (or lack thereof). She does not seem to have the tempered, fiery passion for God that would inspire Christians (or would-be Christians) to have such a deep-seated devotion that their heart is rooted in God never to be moved. Paul and other defenders of the faith had the fiery, steadfast conviction in their hearts to follow God through peril or to the ends of the Earth if need be.

If you're a preacher of homilies or a defender of the faith in writing. Outside of that you're generally supposed to subdue the passions.

we fought them off tho

Paul was a passionate man when he wrote 1 Corinthians 13. Passion is not something to subdue. Being overcome by your passions and letting them control you can be an issue but not passion itself.

I was an ortodox christian until 23 (now I'm 33). Read a lot of books, visited a church every week, not just "believed". Now I feel a little nostalgic about it, but maybe because I was young back then.
This song is very nostalgic for me, don't know why:
youtube.com/watch?v=sAnsZRV-VbI

youtube.com/watch?v=8cuimdSqur0
your music is the shit

> Passion is not something to subdue.
Dude, are you even Orthodox

Read the Way of the Pilgrim.

And Laurus (Lavr in Russian), by Vodolazkin

Same thing, senpai. Still respect the faith and am a '''cultural orthodox''', tho.

Comfy pravoslavnik music:
youtu.be/AqrW5kBWgvo

I meant in the context of being passionate towards God. The meaning of passion broadened in that last sentence. I was raised in the Roman Catholic Church.

I sometimes speak as though others understand when I am changing the context of a word from sentence to sentence.

I understand the whole "restraining passions" bit of things. The heart of the matter that I was addressing was passion toward God reflected in the eyes of the believer. There is truly a glorious look in the eyes of one who is tempered and passionate towards God.

I can understand the logic behind that, but I don't really think it applies to my case. I grew up military (read: white), so I don't really thing there would be very much of a culture clash between the two of us

God himself, in Orthodoxy, is impassible, and becoming dispassionate is therefore more Godlike.

>There is truly a glorious look in the eyes of one who is tempered and passionate towards God.
Would you mind quoting some Church Fathers who elaborate on what you're talking about?

What is the Orthodox view on swinging, incest, adultery, and birth control?

I ask for a friend.

There is no racial rules in the Orthodoxy Church. The main concern is that you are an adherent of the faith. A mixed-race marriage within the faith is certainly preferable to same-race marriage of different faiths. If you seriously accept the faith, you will be welcomed and your marriage will be blessed.

Condoms (but not pills) are allowed by many bishops, provided it is within marriage and is not used to produce a sterile (childless) marriage. Otherwise, everything else you listed is a major sin.

Like...go to Hell major?

Just found out there's an Orthodox church in a Town only an hour away.
What's the protocol for joining the church? Is it a drop-in service? Do I speak to the priest?
Religion hasn't properly appealed to me but I was raised protestant and have always believed in Jesus Christ, this seems like an honest faith compared to corrupt Catholicism.

being orthodox is like being muslim. prove me wrong

Woah woah we are not dispassionate athiest cucks, The fruit of the spirit is JOY. We are not stoics, to deny that is to promote a doctrine of demons and a false gospel. It's almost gnostic what you are saying here.

Jesus was not driven by dispassion but the most fiery passion in the temple when he went into a furious RAGE whipping these kikes and breaking their tables.

The eyes are a window to the soul, you have no passion for the Lord, you have no faith in the Lord. Does it not displease God when we sin, is his wrath not overflowing and poured out onto the nations in in the last times?!?!?!

We don't generally make claims about individuals and their salvation except for canonized saints, but if you're a practicing Christian and you do these things, you're not going to have a pleasant time when it comes time for you to be judged by Christ.

You generally come in *during* the Othros service, and remain afterward for the Divine Liturgy (there is no break between the services).

Don't come in during the Readings or the entrance of the Gospel, if these are happening when you come in. If you come prior to the veneration of the Gospel, an Orthros thing, then walk quietly up to the Gospel, bow and make the sign of the cross, kiss it, then kiss the hand of the priest holding it. It is customary, when coming in, to light a candle too (which you are supposed to buy, most parishes do that by the honor system), and say a prayer and light and place it. It is also customary to venerate the icons in the narthex (by making the sign of the cross and kissing the hands on the icon, some also bow and touch the floor). Do not come up when the Eucharist is being given, but you can receive the Antidoron. There is a lot of making the sing of the cross (every time priest mentions all three persons of the Trinity, as a solute to each person in the Nicene Creed, and several other instances).

When greeting a priest, it is customary to say, "Father, bless," and hold out your hand, and when he places his hand in yours, to kiss his hand.

If the priest does not come up and talk to you (which he very well might), you can talk to him whenever you're comfortable, either at the first service you go to, or later.

a kremlin run shitfest pretending to be a religion.

dull farting sound

Jesus was subject to the blameless passions, but his body was also susceptible to pain and death (as all humans are due to the fall) prior to his Resurrection

Please take a look at this and search for "passion" with cntrl + f: prudencetrue.com/images/TheLadderofDivineAscent.pdf

>The eyes are a window to the soul
But are you holy enough to be able to discern through them?

t. Soros

This is a big help, thanks.

No problem.

Also, try to dress well. Definitely no shorts or sweatpants (more conservative bishops also make it mandatory that women can't wear pants, but onlyskirts longer than the knee and have their heads covered, but that depends on the bishop).

Fuck your theladderofdivineascent.pdf file. Jesus never sinned, he was most righteous in every way and superior to the sinner. His rage was an act of passionate love, just as passionate as his willing death on the cross.

You also never replied to me on joy. Also it is written that "Jesus wept" Paul and Peter flew into passionate fury in some of their letters. Read them.

Passion - "the suffering and death of Jesus"
passion isn't licentiousness

I have a question. I had someone tell me that in Russian Orthodox you're not allowed to have sex during fasting periods and that most days of the year are during fasting periods. In order to strictly observe this, there is only a few days per year you can have sex with your wife. Is there any truth to this?

It's written by Saint John of the Ladder, your being sacrilegious

Jesus experienced passion and death, and was raised passionless and immortal. He is God, and shepherd of his flock, he only got angry when people tried to corrupt them or mislead them. He wasn't just going around angry all the time--in fact, he asking the Father to forgive the people who were torturing him, he wasn't getting angry at them.

No.

Yes, most days are fasting day, as in more than half, but there are still plenty of non-fast days.

>Yes, most days are fasting day, as in more than half
Keep in mind, too, this is counting long fast periods like Lent, and the Dormitoion Fast and the Nativity fast. Most weeks only have two fast days in them.

So is it true that if you want to follow Orthodox, you dont have sex with your wife during fasting periods?

Are you fucking kidding me? What the hell are you smoking? Yes he grew up as a normal human child who had emotion, fiery zeal, like Elijah, like Moses, and David, and Saul of Tarsus.

“He looked around at them in anger, deeply distressed at their stubborn hearts” (Mark 3:5).

Did he not also call these Pharisees whitewashed tombs? Vipers? Thieves?

In ecclesiastical Greek, ‘dispassion’ means freedom from passion through being filled with the Holy Spirit of God as a fruit of divine love. It is a state of soul in which a burning love for God and men leaves no room for selfish and animal passions. How far it is from the cold Stoic conception may be seen from the fact that St. Diadochus can speak of ‘the fire of dispassion

I meant no disrespect to blessed John.

You are wrong, he agrees with me. What they mean by dispassion is carnal lust, or passions of the flesh, like pride and gluttony.

>In ecclesiastical Greek, ‘dispassion’ means freedom from passion through being filled with the Holy Spirit of God as a fruit of divine love. It is a state of soul in which a burning love for God and men leaves no room for selfish and animal passions. How far it is from the cold Stoic conception may be seen from the fact that St. Diadochus can speak of ‘the fire of dispassion

that's from the ladder of divine ascent

Yeah. You should basically be living like a monk during fasting periods

Most anger is not blameless passion. Christ's anger was solely limited to those trying to mislead or corrupt his flock. Concerning other anger, Christ said it is as if you murdered.

That's from the notes, to be precise.

But yes, God himself is a fire of dispassion. Dispassion is not meant to be without feeling, rather it's meant to be extreme spiritual feeling as opposed to outward, fleshly feeling. That's why icons never smile or laugh, even though the fire of dispassion is an intense feeling of bliss.

But, spouses denying eachother sex is a sin, according to the Bible.

You do not understand what dispassion is. Dispassion is purely that which is not carnal passion, which is full of rage, and sorrow, and joy and love. You can be very expressive with dear ol John's dispassion, even smiling and laughing and whipping bankers.

Remember how fucking pissed Paul was with the Cretans? That was great! MORE

You are acting like a godman stoic, which is exactly what John was meant by this
How far it is from the cold Stoic conception

Passion has been a glorified word in the Catholic church referring to the utter fiery zeal of God dying in agony on the cross and his saints fighting to their last dying breath with every last breath of rage and joy. And I'll be damned if some pleb struts about acting like he knows better than over a thousand years of proud Roman tradition.

not a counter argument because muslim women generally don't do it outside of worship either. They are just constantly worshipping so ortodox are muslim-tier by wearing the hijab.

If that was true then why are jews and christians generally against women covering up their hair? It is contrary to christianity and jewdom.

Pretty sure it's the other way around. Women who cover their hair in ortodox majority places are generally seen as outsiders.

7:5

Paul was their spiritual father. Spiritual fathers are supposed to get angry as their disciplines (even if they are not inwardly in passion), in Orthodoxy, since it keeps them in humility. It says this right in the Ladder of Divine Ascent.

You're quoting the translator note as John. The note is accurate, but please don't quote it as John's words

>If that was true then why are jews and christians generally against women covering up their hair?
Like nuns?

Orthodox Jewish women do cover their hair in worship.

1 Corinthians 11:5

Yes what Im asking is, I was told by someone that it Eastern Orthodox it is required, but making it a requirement would contradict 7:5.

And if you want to know why women covering their hair is a thing, it's because hair was seen as extremely sensual in ancient times, the part of a woman that would grab the most attention (even today, women spend more time on their hair than anything else, they put a lot of effort into making it trendy and desirable). For a woman to cover her head was seen as a sign of humility for this (but men can also get excessive about their hairstyles, which is probably why Paul suggested men keep their hair short).

>The note is accurate

>Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:
Neither give place to the devil.

>Be angry
>be
>angry

It says in fucking torah that you do not ADD nor TAKE AWAY from the letter of the law. The spirit of godly anger is always just.

What are we on some godamn time table where if you were born in the 2nd century or later it's unjust to feel god's divine anger?

No, it's 7:5 says to stop sex during periods of fasting and spiritual prayer and penance, but only "for a time". Not something permanent. If your spouse continually denies you sex on non-fast days, that is actually one of the few grounds for divorce in Orthodoxy (see the link in the OP on divorce).

The hair covering is a superficial symbol of lower status for women, therefore making all the men sexy, encouraging marriages and high birth rates.

In the New Testament is also says don't try to lawyer the letter, but follow the Spirit. You, by seeing this as a commandment to be angry, are trying to lawyer the letter, when the purpose of this verse is saying make sure that that you don't let the sun set on your anger, not "You should get angry (except at night)".

THATS MY POINT YOU ARE GOING TO THELETTER. You are forbidding to be angry by pointing out Commandments. Dispassion does not mean being a cold stoic, you can still laugh and be JOYFUL and angry, but just as a new creation and in a new way. OI VEY, READ YOUR TORAH?!?!

And having your head uncovered, for a man, back then was seen as a sign of submission and humility toward God. Probably because while men didn't show much status in their hair (as women did), they often did through hats

I'm pointing out that Christ himself said to avoid anger.

It's very difficult to be contrite while angry. If you want emotions, the sort Saint John of the Ladder does stress are weeping and sorrow over your sins.

So its true, according to Orthodox its not a 'you may abstain', but a 'you must'. And Orthodox considers fasting days as the days you should abstain, and Orthodox considers and more than half of the days in a year as fasting days. So in order to truly follow Orthodox, you'd 'have to'(as in non optional) abstain more than half the days in the year. Which is a contradiction to 7:5 which reads not like 'you must, its not optional' but more like 'you might(as in its just an optional choice) abstain if you want to'.

If you are putting on your new self, then you are acting in the spirit instead of the flesh. If it's difficult to be contrite while angry, ask God to help you with that and he will. You should not assume that all people are unable to put on their new self to take part in acts of the spirit while in this life. If it was impossible to do, Paul would have been writing in vain.

The actual text doesn't have "you might" in it.

Paul's job was to shepherd people. If that is your job, then you should definitely use anger with them. But if you aren't a shepherd of others, then you are only the shepherd of yourself, and therefore you should be considered with disciplining yourself and being harsh on your own sins, rather than seeing the sins in others.

*concerned

I'm sad that our ortodox church is full of vatican agents who are changing the course of the church.
They even let one of the oldest churches flooded & they're letting albanians have our monastiries on Kosovo as their national treasure.
Our police is persecuting people who are defending the ortodoxy, really hard times for a true believer here.

So they don't eat any meat unless it's cooked well past ideal? I'm out.

Saint John Chrysostom (who knew first hand), said if you are true Christian, you will almost surely be persecuted, and it can't be done from outside the Church, Satan will see it done within the Church

We're not Pharisees about it. We prohibit blood practically, not according to Kosher rules. Don't eat things like blood sausage, don't eat blood stake, etc. Most blood concerns are addressed by draining the meat prior to cooking anyway (which is probably why eating strangled animals is prohibited).

The reason for this is, eating something flesh with its lifeblood is considered physically communing with it, which we're only supposed to do with Christ.

*if it can't

If you are in Christ, then you know and have faith that your sins are forgiven. Not as an encouragement to sin (as Paul says -- just read Paul for full clarification if needed).

Paul was saying "be angry" to the Ephesians and not explicitly in reference to designated shepherds.

My point still stands of joy or laughing in the spirit (or as you would say "dispassionately").

>Like nuns?

Nuns are semi-islamic except that they don't marry and have sex. All they do all day is worship.

Christians are not supposed to follow the rules in the bible. Following the rules shows disbelief, christianity teaches that Jesus died for our sins. The rules in the bible is just a catalogue of the sins you are forgiven, it's information to reflect upon and appreciate that you are forgiven for trespassing.

Following them shows a disbelief in the whole "Jesus died for your sins" thing. What did Jesus die for if you are going to follow all these rules anyway? Only muslims try to follow all the rules.

The islamic influences on ortodoxy is obvious. Not proper christianity.

I'm pretty sure no Christian believes Jesus' sacrifice means you can do anything you like free of sin.

>tfw Catholic
>tfw cuckpope
>tfw schismatic shitters are the greatest followers of Christ left
save the west, slavs, please save us from ourselves

I mean in Greek

>Christians are not supposed to follow the rules in the bible
t, Luther

I can't abandon the true faith, no matter how aesthetically pleasing others may be.

Really? In modern Greek or in Koine Greek?

Orthodox is the true faith, though. None of the Church Fathers agree with the Filioque, for instance (which in itself is just a non-canonical change in the Creed, but in its explanation by the RCC, is heresy). Saint Augustine, for instance, said the Spirit proceeds principally from the Father but also from the Son, whereas the RCC says the Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son as *one principle*.

In Koine Greek.

But the Orthodox Church agreed with the teaching of the Filioque at the council of Florence

How does one learn that if you're not very good at language learning or are you just out of luck and have to take other people's word for it?

We reject the Council of Florence, as ultimately did all the bishops who agreed to it.

The reason we see it is as invalid, is precisely because it's heretical. It's a robber-council, called solely to support the Emperor's politics (which, in all fairness, were urgent, he needed the West's help against the Turk), not in the name of the Spirit.

>called solely to support the Emperor's politics
But I thought the Emperor shared in the authority of the church, caesaropapism and all that. if you can just agree and disagree with councils at will, how can anything be ecumenical?

Well you could take a look at Young's Literal (or the KJV, which is the second most literal popular translation).

We don't subscribe to Caesaropapism. The Emperor does have the right to call councils, but he has to call them for valid reasons and following correct protocol.

Councils are witnesses to the truth, not some top-down factory for it. Whether a council is valid or not, is concretely attested to by whether or not the Liturgy incorporates it somehow. Prior to that, a simple indicator is seeing whether or not it teaches things taught by the Church Fathers; if not, it's a robber council.

>Whether a council is valid or not, is concretely attested to by whether or not the Liturgy incorporates it somehow.
What does this mean? Liturgy isn't doctrine
>Prior to that, a simple indicator is seeing whether or not it teaches things taught by the Church Fathers
Many Church Fathers were wrong about things, and some believed straight heresy

>What does this mean? Liturgy isn't doctrine
It is for us. The Liturgy is the final word on all doctrinal matters, it is what Church *officially* teaches.

>Many Church Fathers were wrong about things, and some believed straight heresy
Some fathers erred about minor things, none were heretical. To be a Church Father, in Orthodoxy, you have to have taught without heresy, and be a canonized saint.

You sound more like a Protestant than a Catholic to me

He died for your sins, didn't he?

>5. Catholics define usury as excessive interest, Orthodox define usury as any interest

sign me up.

>Not only in Psalm 15:5 is this teaching found. It is a fundamental principle throughout the Word of God. In Exodus (22:25), Leviticus (25:37), and Deuteronomy (23:19) the charging of interest on loans is forbidden. Prophets like Ezekiel (18:13, 22:12) thundered against usury. Charging interest is clearly and strictly forbidden by God.
holytrinity-lansing.org/index.php/news/102/109/The-Sin-We-Stopped-Feeling-Sorry-For/d,betterDetails.htm

>Business expectations in lending, often ghostly, become more profitable than the production of tangible goods. In this regard, it must be remembered about the moral ambiguity of the situation, when money is used to "make" new money without the application of human labor. Declaring the credit sphere to be the main engine of the economy, its predominance over the real economic sector, comes into conflict with the moral principles, revealed by God condemning usury.
pravoslavie.ru/english/93828.htm

>Debt is usury and usury is enslavement, and enslavement is always a source of evil. Therefore, debt is always to be avoided as far as possible; at best it can only be a temporary necessary evil. Usury was and is forbidden by the Church. Catholicism, which for many centuries kept much of the heritage of the Church from the first millennium, forbade usury until the late 18th century.

events.orthodoxengland.org.uk/tag/usury/

>Dmitri Lubomudrov, the Orthodox Church’s legal adviser told the media at that time, “We realized we couldn’t stay dependent on the Western financial system, but must develop our own. As with the Islamic system, the Orthodox one will be based not just on legislation, but on Orthodox morality as well, and will be an invitation to businessmen seeking security at a time of crisis.” Among its features would be interest-free credit issuance and prohibition of investment in gambling casinos or such activities going against Church moral values.

globalresearch.ca/interest-free-banking-russia-debates-unorthodox-orthodox-financial-alternative/5495331

He didn't die to give us the luxury to sin, he died so we could have the freedom to stop sinning.

hey fudge packers

>literally bluepilled on religion
top kek.

That would be Scientologists

no it's the cuckstains faggot

I'm referencing the South Park episode where Tom Cruise is literally packing fudge

6:16

shut up

Exactly. Even im agnostic now and grew apart from the faith and church, im still very proud of ortodox cultural heritage i have been born into. The music, the arts,monasteries, the customs are truly riches that needs to be presetved, admired and enjoyed .

>Even im agnostic now and grew apart from the faith and church
satan won huh

The faith is the greatest treasure the Church has, and the one which all others are mere expressions of.

Why were the Romanovs made martyrs. I would love to have had the white guard win but martyrdom is kind of a lot getting killed for mostly political reasons.

>he died so we could have the freedom to stop sinning.

People had that freedom before Jesus as well.

Trump utterly destroyed her.

He talked about real plans and policy and Clinton just talked about Trump.

He had her on the ropes the whole times. All she could do was arrogantly smirk while she was losing. It was embarrassing for her and for the Democratic party.

Almost all the polls except for LOL (((CNN))) agree.

Trump dominated

I think from around Romans chapter 2 through around chapter 8 is some of the best to come out of Paul. How does it look in the Koine Greek?

The Bolshevik politics were extremely anti-religious, so it is sometimes hard to distinguish

Do you object to Saint Duchess Elizabeth being given martyr status, for instance?

The more you sin, the more you lose it. That is what Paul means by being enslaved to sin

Please don't be childish. You act exactly like kind of people that were the reason i distanced my self from religion. Faith is personal thing.

Did the Orthodox ever use violence/coercion to convert people like the Catholics did?

The King James is mostly faithful to the Greek, so if you want an idea, just read that.

The guy is mocking religion, in case you haven't noticed

No

So does that mean the Church of the Roman Empire from 300AD onward wasnt Orthodox?

Very nicely said bro. But in my case faith just does not speaks to me any more. There were times i could find peace and serenity in it, but now... I have seen to many poverty, injustice, blood and bad things happening to really good people.

Problem for me is I can't grok the early modern English it might as well be Frisian.

It didn't forcibly convert people. Forcible conversions in the West didn't really start until after the fall of the Roman Empire.

Christianity is, well, pretty much THE faith about poverty, injustice, blood and bad things happening to really good people. God himself was tortured to death, and 11 out of 12 of his Apostles were put to death as well. Christianity doesn't teach that being good will make your life easier, it teaches that very often being a good persons is what makes Satan more incited against you.

Google "Orthodox New Testament pdf" then.

You can also buy a physical copy

>It didn't forcibly convert people. Forcible conversions in the West didn't really start until after the fall of the Roman Empire.

I didn't say forced conversions only that they used violence and coercion in their efforts to get people to convert. There were terribles laws and crimes committed against pagans and their property or even people sympathetic to them including torture torture and death.

Whilst they didnt give them the convert or die ultimatum they did effectivly tell them to either practice no religion other than christianity or die.

What I want to know is, was the Church of that time Orthodox and whether countries like Russia or the Balkan ones had simmilar experianecs.

Redpill me on Catholicism.

I am a once strayed catholic, currently strengthening my faith and kind of searching for the right path. I know that faith alone is nothing, Christ himself has tasked us to form a church and worship the Lord together. All of my family is catholic and my gf as well.

I don't want to leave the catholic church, I just would like to hear from some of you why orthodoxy might be a "purer", "truer" way of Christianity.

Torture and death wasn't actually used against pagans.

After you ask here look for the Tripfag named wolfshiem he has an extensive pastebin and some quality sources which if you combine with the pastebins in this thread should give you a solid ground.

If you want the protestant presepective lookout for a person called praceton

>and whether countries like Russia or the Balkan ones had simmilar experianecs.
No, the change from paganism to Christianity was actually without any serious conflict there

Thanks.

>between 389-391 he issued the infamous "Theodosian decrees," which established a practical ban on paganism;[74] visits to the temples were forbidden,[73][75] remaining pagan holidays were abolished, the Sacred fire of Vesta in the Temple of Vesta in the Roman Forum was extinguished, the Vestal Virgins disbanded, auspices and witchcraft punished. Theodosius refused to restore the Altar of Victory in the Senate House when asked to do so by pagan Senators.

>In 392 he became emperor of the whole empire. From this moment till the end of his reign in 395, while pagans remained outspoken in their demands for toleration,[76][77] he authorized or participated in the killing of pagan priests, destruction of many temples, holy sites, images and objects of reverence throughout the empire[1][78][79][80][81] and participated in actions by Christians against major Pagan sites.[82] His later decrees were seen as effectively a declaration of war on traditional religious practices[12][13] and for anyone caught, was a death sentence, as well as an automatic confiscation of property, even for private familial rites within the home.

>Paganism continued to be practised by a large portion of the population, although they had to worship their gods undercover in order to comply formally with the edicts.[83] There were many who pretended to convert to Christianity while secretly continuing pagan practices,[101] and many Christians converted back to Paganism; numerous laws against apostasy were promulgated and penalties increased from those in the time of Gratian and Theodosius.[102][103][104][105] Pagans openly voiced their resentment in historical works, such as the writings of Eunapius and Olympiodorus; some writers blamed the Christian hegemony for the 410 Sack of Rome. Christians destroyed almost all such political literature and threatened to cut off the hands of any copyist who dared to make new copies of the offending writings.[106][107]

>Leo I the Thracian succeeded Marcian and became the first emperor to be crowned by the Patriarch of Constantinople.

>In 472 Leo I published a new law in 472 which imposed severe penalties for the owner of any property who was aware that Pagan rites were performed on his property. If the property owner was of high rank he was punished by the loss of his rank or office and by the confiscation of his property. If the property owner was of lower status he would be physically tortured and then condemned to labor in the mines for the rest of his life.[14]

Does this not strike you as coercion?

So nothing like the stuff Ive posted above happened in places like that?

Yeah, he actually got excommunicated by the Church over his killings eventually. So did Emperor Maximus, who was excommunicated for putting Priscillian to death. The major writers of the Church then opponly opposed killing people for these things

Most of the temples were state-owned

>Orthodox New Testament pdf
Like this?

>So nothing like the stuff Ive posted above happened in places like that?
Saint Vladimir destroyed the large idol by his palace, which was popularly venerated, after he converted. That's about it.

Yeah

IS THAT NATALIA????

>Yeah, he actually got excommunicated by the Church over his killings eventually.

No he didnt , he got excommunicated for having a Gothic garrison massacre 7000 people after they rioted at a sports event because of their dislike of having a foreign garrison.

Not only that by Leo was made a saint.

> So did Emperor Maximus, who was excommunicated for putting Priscillian to death

Who was more of a heretic than a pagan and the excommunication was about him ignoring the pope and trying the man himself.

I ask you again do you honestly as a Christian do you not see the acts in as coercion?

Just to clarify it was theodosis who had the garrison issues not leo

Among other things, yeah

Leo actually isn't a saint. I know wiki says it, but he is in fact not on the roster of Orthodox saints and never has been.

Could you give some primary source on Theodosius's killings here? I'm not seeing the death penalty prescribed by any record of his laws on that, except in relation to sorcery.

I also found a Orthodox Study Bible pdf that has over 13thousand pages.-

>Who was more of a heretic than a pagan and the excommunication was about him ignoring the pope and trying the man himself.
No, he probably could have avoided it if he spared his life, as was begged by several bishops. He probably could have gotten away with exiling him (plenty of heretics had been exiled before--plenty of saints had been too, in fact, such as Saint John Chrysostom and Saint Athanasius), but putting him to death was over the line.

Yep, it's pretty good, it's based on a modified NKJV text. Although the one I showed you is an original, Orthodox translations, the Study Bible has a lot more in the way of helpful commentary, particularly on showing how important the OT and how very much it intertwines with the NT

>Among other things, yeah

God dam this why religion terrifies the life out of me. You have all this talk about love and create these breathtaking buildings and rituals, but wherever I look I find rivers of blood which people justify, no shame no regret.

I thought the Orthodox might have been the different ones but no this same problem is here too. People who arent potential converts or members just cease to be people

>Could you give some primary source on Theodosius's killings here? I'm not seeing the death penalty prescribed by any record of his laws on that, except in relation to sorcery.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_pagans_in_the_late_Roman_Empire

Look at the references to links to the theodosian code.

>No, he probably could have avoided it if he spared his life, as was begged by several bishops. He probably could have gotten away with exiling him (plenty of heretics had been exiled before--plenty of saints had been too, in fact, such as Saint John Chrysostom and Saint Athanasius), but putting him to death was over the line.

So the only proof of the Church talking out against religious persecution is not pagans but their treatment of heretics?

Alright I'll try to check out this Eastern / Greek Orthodox pdf It seems easier to comprehend than KJV.

Dude, the Church did not have power over the emperor. Ever. And many Orthodox themselves were persecuted by "Christian" emperors who wanted to profess heretical Christianity. Saint Maximos the Confess had his tongue cut out and his hand cut off for his writings (which are highly valued by the Church to this day), since he defied the Emperor.

I did look, nothing in his code says anything about pagans or pagan priests being put to death.

>His family doesn't predate 1650

>wherever I look I find rivers of blood which people justify
Keep in mind you can thank Christianity for making gladiator fighting illegal.

>Dude, the Church did not have power over the emperor. Ever.

look at yourself you are still refusing to acknowledge the horrors that took place, you just move the goalposts slightly

"I ask you again do you honestly as a Christian do you not see the acts in (You) (You) as coercion?"

"Among other things, yeah"

>I did look, nothing in his code says anything about pagans or pagan priests being put to death.

356 16.10.6 Those guilty of idolatry or pagan sacrifices may be subject to the death penalty.

346 16.10.4 "Pagan temples are to be closed, access to them is denied, and violators may face the death penalty. [There are three possible dates: 346, 354, 356. Pharr offers no insight; however, Bradbury leans toward 346 for the sake of consistency with 16.10.3. Th

341 16.10.2 Sacrifices and superstition are forbidden.

397 16.5.33 Apollinarians shall be exiled from the city (Constantinople) and those who assemble secretly shall have their meeting places taken.

399 10.10.16 Pagan temples in rural areas are to be destroyed.

423 10.10.23 Pagans are to be exiled and have their possessions confiscated.

425 16.5.64 "Manichaeans, heretics, schismatics, and members of every sect averse to the Catholic Church are to be banished from the cities."

mountainman.com.au/essenes/codex_theodosianus.htm

>The more you sin, the more you lose it. That is what Paul means by being enslaved to sin

Good thing that sins are forgiven then.

How did you find Christianity fellow Cred Forumsacks?
What led you to this point?

do orthodox girls shave their pubes?

i ask because i'm looking for a good virgin christian wife who is fully shaved.

hard to find. maybe ortho girls are better?

Yes, that's definitely coercion, but it was performed on the state's part, not the Church's part. It wasn't like, for instance, the Roman Inquisition.

Provided you get them absolved (John 20:23)

>Keep in mind you can thank Christianity for making gladiator fighting illegal.

And i can thank Islam and protestantism for making widow burning illegal that doesnt excuse their behaviour

Orthodoxy is really the only viable alternative to the current year ideology.

I don't really ask women whether or not they shave their pubes

Are you similarly going to blame Christians for Roman Emperors who profess Christianity but heavily persecuted the Orthodox for not complying with the Emperor's brand of Christianity?

is there a rule against them shaving?

have you not had sex with ortho girls? do they really remain true virgins?

>Yes, that's definitely coercion, but it was performed on the state's part, not the Church's part. It wasn't like, for instance, the Roman Inquisition

So why on earth did you deny it was coercion before?

Why did yo lie to me and say that it wasnt used against pagans in Where was the Church when it came to speaking out in their defence and stopping the Christian mobs?

>Are you similarly going to blame Christians for Roman Emperors who profess Christianity but heavily persecuted the Orthodox for not complying with the Emperor's brand of Christianity?

"God dam this why religion terrifies the life out of me. You have all this talk about love and create these breathtaking buildings and rituals, but wherever I look I find rivers of blood which people justify, no shame no regret."

Dam strait I do it seems that everyone but the most minor sects have bloody skeletons in the closet that they just hand wave. Its what scares me most about Christianity, its like christian Taiqua

Not that I know of.

I seriously doubt more than one in ten Orthodox women who continuously attend Church from childhood, have sex prior to wedlock.

damn. that's pretty good numbers.

do they have any sexual contact?

are they cute?

i may have to switch from roman catholic. It's a mess over here. Although, I guess I am partially to blame since I did deflower my fair share of girls in high school.

>So why on earth did you deny it was coercion before?
I didn't.

>Why did yo lie to me and say that it wasnt used against pagans
I was wrong, it was.

>Dam strait I do
Why? Does this really make sense? We commemorate as saints many people who were persecuted by emperors, and see them as heroes, and you say we are to be blamed for the persecution? The very guy who wrote our Liturgy, Saint John Chrysostom, was exiled by a Christian emperor, recalled, and then exiled again eventually and forced marched to death.

BJ's and anal count as losing virginity in Orthodoxy

Orthodox women are, in my estimation, very above average in terms of attractiveness.

Damn.

And you all are more Platonic and mystical too, right?

God predicted feminism as a consequence of the fall into sin within the first three chapters of the Bible.

you cant baptize a roman catholic into eastern orthodoxy.
for fucks sake, its not a different religion.

We see Platoism as theological training wheels, so to speak. It's something you don't really use at the higher levels, but it's a good way of making intro understanding accessible.

We are mystical in the sense of "theology", in Orthodoxy, means direct experience of God (writing is more called "philosophy," unless it is writing about direct experience). We're also mystical in that mystery is a big thing; we don't try to fill in doctrinal gaps in Christ's teachings (as Catholics do), we simply take them as mysteries and presume Christ didn't teach us for a reason.

I didn't.

"I ask you again do you honestly as a Christian do you not see the acts in (You) (You) as coercion?"

"Among other things, yeah"

>I was wrong, it was.
Did you research this previously or was this just an automatic denial?

>Why? Does this really make sense?
Of course it does for the same reason why Communists and political ideologes dont get excused for the horrors they carry out.
>We commemorate as saints many people who were persecuted by emperors, and see them as heroes, and you say we are to be blamed for the persecution? The very guy who wrote our Liturgy, Saint John Chrysostom, was exiled by a Christian emperor, recalled, and then exiled again eventually and forced marched to death.

How many Saints were persecuted for trying to protect the Pagans of Rome?

One downside about the Orthodox women, as I understand it the people who stick true to Orthodox traditions dont have sex during fasting days and more than half of the days of the year are fasting days. So you may end up switching to a traditional Orthodox girl who observes this tradition with many day per year of no sex.

You actually can, it's just up to the bishop. Catholic baptism are invalid until the person is received into the Church, so with that in mind, you can just give them a new baptism

Dont forget that they are people as well and people of the modern age at that, if you go in there expecting an avatar of Christchan or some 19th Century lady you are going to be disappointed and unfair to them.

this is what catholicism allows

There are actually Orthodox women like that, especially at Antiochian parishes, they are the anti-modernism types. The male equivilant is the sort that grows a beard as an anti-modernist statement, and there are those too.

How similar are those to Mennonites or Amish?

Id be hesitant there given that many protestants wear white collars and call themselves pastors

I didnt say or intend to imply they are regular girls but I was trying to help ground himself so he doesn't get wound up in the fantasy being sold to him, which will only harm him and the girls - hence the whole Christchan avatar reference.

I know its your prerogative to convert people but fueling false exceptions is a hurtful way to go about it to all third parties involved. Afterall this user has already talked about turning numerous girls to sin.

Far less inbreeding for one and far more accessible for converts.

>"Among other things, yeah"
How is that a denial?

>Did you research this previously or was this just an automatic denial?
I did in the last debate I had on this.

>Of course it does for the same reason why Communists and political ideologes dont get excused for the horrors they carry out.
I would excuse communists from murders by individuals. If the Communist Party does something, that's something else. Similarly, I'm not going to hold the Church accountable for the actions of the Emperor, especially when many emperors have persecuted the Church

>How many Saints were persecuted for trying to protect the Pagans of Rome?
None that I know of, but Saint Basil, in describing something that contributed to his return to Christianity (he was raised a Christian, but fell away), talked about how there was a city infested with plague, and all the pagans fled leaving the dying and sick behind, while the Christians stayed despite to the risk to care for them, some of whom had helped persecute Christians not so long ago.

Not at all if you mean not using technology, but there are some similarities otherwise, in some cases.

I thinking if fornicated a lot, he really doesn't have much of a place in trying to look exclusively for a virgin.

When Manny Pacquiao when was in Greece, he visited several churches and spoke with many clergy and priests. He sought after spiritual guidance for him and his people.
Perhaps that's why numerous Filipinos are now learning more about Orthodoxy.

Hopefully Prince Charles will do the same for the UK

>How is that a denial?

"Do you not consider this to be coercion"

You answered yes which indicated that you did not consider these actions to be coercion. Hence denying there being any coercion.

>I did in the last debate I had on this.
What were the fruits or outcome?

>I would excuse communists from murders by individuals. If the Communist Party does something, that's something else. Similarly, I'm not going to hold the Church accountable for the actions of the Emperor, especially when many emperors have persecuted the Church

Its no different from infighting and the irony of the good Samaritan.

>None that I know of, but Saint Basil, in describing something that contributed to his return to Christianity (he was raised a Christian, but fell away), talked about how there was a city infested with plague, and all the pagans fled leaving the dying and sick behind, while the Christians stayed despite to the risk to care for them, some of whom had helped persecute Christians not so long ago.

Would you be able to find out if there were any from your priest?

I see it more as casting bait before a shark or wolf at a place where people gather. All this user has talked about is getting a virgin, indeed he implied he would leave Catholicism in pursuit of this.

That's a really tiny church.

seriously fucking kill yourselves

I grew up orthodox and it was horrible

neither catholicism nor orthodoxy allow for female priests, but orthodoxy does allow married men to be priests.
all of church hiearchy have to be monks tho

TFW no Orthodox churches near me in Wisconsin.

>Perhaps that's why numerous Filipinos are now learning more about Orthodoxy.

Im skeptical about the Philippines given the Churches failures in the past there - ie they converted a bunch of protestant priests and their congregations only for them to leave afterwards.

However if this is happening at a more general level ie people leaving parishes instead of following a certain pastor then things will get exciting.

>Hopefully Prince Charles will do the same for the UK

Whilst a CoE going Orthodox would be nice I think its highly unlikely especially given the modernism debate and the crowns need for neutrality.

The best bet for the UK would be if the Church there was ready to catch the Christians falling out of the dying protestant churches and start getting some prominent Orthodox intellectuals and members who are British. Im fairly sure the Catholics are going to try something simmilar

this ffs
i ve never heard about any serb woman abstaining from sex on fast days

>I grew up orthodox and it was horrible

How so? What is your Story.

>You answered yes which indicated that you did not consider these actions to be coercion.
Sorry, misunderstood it, I thought by "Do you not" was intended in the same sense as "don't you"

>What were the fruits or outcome?
It was on Cred Forums, so nothing really. It was started by someone accusing the Church of burning the Library of Alexandria

>Its no different from infighting and the irony of the good Samaritan.
Except the Emperor is not clerical position (in fact, clerics are forbidden from holding political office).

>Would you be able to find out if there were any from your priest?
Probably.

> All this user has talked about is getting a virgin, indeed he implied he would leave Catholicism in pursuit of this.
And he will probably find one in Orthodoxy, but if that is all he wants, he shouldn't come to the faith.

Chapel, really

Do you talk to women who attend church and are religious about their sex lives?

How to become Orthodox?

Fresh bread

How do you reconcile the fact that in Orthodox christiandom, Icons are prayed to while the book clearly states that noone can be worshipped except for God?

You know damn well we don't pray to icons, Kraut.