Rank the worst war zones of the 20th century?

Rank 1-4, 1 being the most hellish/horrific battlefield endured by men

Your choices:
Vietnam
WW2 Pacific Theatre
WW2 Russian/Eastern Front
WW1 Trench Warfare

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.sciencemuseum.org.uk/1920-penicillin-discovery/
youtube.com/watch?v=klew64gasjw
youtu.be/IWHbF5jGJY0
youtube.com/watch?v=WM8bTdBs-cw
youtube.com/watch?v=_qmCwn3zOFM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran–Iraq_War
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Marshes
youtube.com/watch?v=k4Pd527GN48
youtube.com/watch?v=aqAOLkSHVc4
youtube.com/watch?v=InRDF_0lfHk
youtube.com/watch?v=pmBq_xtuOUM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

1. WW1 trench warfare
2. WW2 Russian / Eastern front (Stalingrad)
3. WW2 Pacific Theater (Okinawa, Baton Death March, Japanese Hell Ships, etc)
>
>
>
>
>
4. Vietnam looks like a pussy war by comparison

Care to explain?

1. WW1 Tranches
2. WW2 Eastern Euro Front
3. WW2 Pacific theatre
4. Iran/Iraq War
5. Chechen Wars
6. Vietnam
7. Average day in palestine

Vietnam - 2
WW2 Pacific Theatre - 4
WW2 Russian/Eastern Front - 3
WW1 Trench Warfare - 1

Vietnam is the worst due to psychological conditions present. Public opinion, mixed with the higher chance of PTSD as a result of prolonged asymmetric warfare meant soldiers endured greater stress.

WW1 ranks next due to abhorrent conditions, monotony, entrenched helplessness, and suicide tactics. Arguably, Civil War engagements involving trench warfare were just as bad, if not worse due to lack of medical sophistication.

WW2 Eastern Front... enough said.

WW2 Pacific Theatre ranks lowest becasue of overbearing US morale throughout the duration of the conflict. This was only bolstered post VE Day. The conflict also ended with minimum US casualties due to the atomic bombs.

ostfront ww2 easily

No, physiologically Vietnam was on another planet of horror.
>Dead soldiers don't have night terrors

Vietnam had a fairly low attrition rate for the Americans though. WW2 eastern front had absolutely hellish conditions from whether to supply shortages and an atrocious casualty rate for all sides and extremely high amount of combat time on both sides for the average soldier.

>1. WW2 Eastern Front
>2. WW1 Western Front - or tied with 1.
>3. Pacific Theater
>
>
>
>
>30. Vietnam

1. The streets where feminists protested
6000000. Everything else

1. WW1 Western Front
2. WW2 Ostfront
3. Vietnam
4. who the fuck cares

western front was absolutely hellish. months in a single position where you weren't even able to rotate off the front lines. i love the anecdote i've heard about german troops wallpapering their trenches because they had been entrenched in the same positions for so long.

A bunch of boomers seeing a few of their friends die and killing a bunch of gooks whilst being in shit conditions is nothing compared to the millions of deaths that occurred in the trenches alone. Constant fear of dying in static positions where you had to sleep facing a certain way in the event of a gas attack that would make you shit out your lungs, or worrying that you'd have a bomb shell land on you putting you out of your disease filled misery is much much worse than anything vietnam can even dream of being.

oh yeah also hella gas and flamethrowers and barbed wire etc in ww1 that were super new tech being used effectively for the first time in warfare. must have been hell.

WW1 was the worst conflict men have ever endured. WW2 was the second. The worst battles from each were probably Passchendale and Stalingrad.

There was cannibalism on the eastern front and certainly when Stalingrad was encircled. Let that sink in.

Vietnam is definitely a shitty situation, but I doubt it was as consistently intense and horrifying of trench warfare or the pacific front in WW2. The Pacific just seems like vietnam except with a more zealous and well equipped enemy, in terms of infantry combat. The naval aspect adds whole other level...

>Passchendale
agree with stalingrad but i think the somme or verdun was a worse battle simple because of the hellish amount of drumfire shelling.

They figured out to rotate troops off the frontline..

I don't disagree, which circle of hell is really worse? The one thing which always stuck with me was the sucking mud of Passchendale, it's absolutely horrific to imagine men like me experienced that.

Yeah I mean the state of medicine in WWI is something people forget. No antibiotics, surgery was still very hackish on the battlefield, shit, piss viscera and corpses everywhere, forced to die in pointless wave attacks, yeah.

It was pretty horrible.

and that was the entirety of the spring and fall on the ostfront. that russian muddy season.

took them a while man and a lot of troops got stuck on the front lines esp on the german side afaik.

You have two options:
>Fight a clear enemy who you have a good idea when and where they will strike. There is an even exchange of surprise attacks and defensive action.
>Fight an obscure enemy who will be disguised. You cannot attack preemptively. Military action is routinely defensive. The enemy almost always attacks you first, and you have little to no way of confirming enemy casualties.

Pretty much every single pre-Cold War conflict falls under option one - with both world wars included. Modern asymmetric war is vastly more taxing on the minds of soldiers becasue they do not have a clear enemy. WW1 soldiers might have gotten shell shock, but they weren't pathologically afraid that complete strangers would try to shoot them when their back was turned. Doughboys and Boomers came back with problems, but few had PTSD, and they had a positive public image. They were heroes - their mental disability a bag of honor. Vietnam vets were derided and hated - to the public they deserved every bit of lasting fear imaginable.

Would have to agree. My great grandfather fought in North Africa, and stated that it was largely a vacation. He was reassigned did some cool shit in Italy and brought home some loot. My fucking crackhead cousin sold it all for drugs though.

By ranking of where I don't want to be:

1. Korea, Chosin Reservoir
2. Eastern Front, WW2
3. Western Front WW1
4. Pacific Theater, WW2
5. Iran/ Iraq war

Those are those most brutal ones I can think of off the top of my head.

>Vietnam is the worst
No, not even close. The casualty rate of the Vietnam was pitiful compared to other wars and the conditions were much better to fight in, and were almost always at an advantage to the enemy, even with the Guerrilla warfare

>Civil War engagements involving trench warfare were just as bad, if not worse due to lack of medical sophistication.
Medical sophistication wasn't very good at all in WW1, they had barely just invented antibiotics and the fighting conditions were terrible, as was the casualty rate. Something like only 30% of all French soldiers survived unscathed. Not to mention the millions of artillery shells, which churned up the ground into a muddy moonscape which many would drown in.

>WW2 Pacific Theatre ranks lowest
it was leagues worse than Vietnam in almost every way except public reception.

1. WWI Trench Warfare

A bunch of dewey-eyed fools marching into an absolute slaughterhouse that accomplished nothing. WWI was a brutal war.

2. WWII Eastern Front

The Eastern Front was extremely brutal but moreso for civilians than the soldiers. It was hell all around but for soldiers, they had something to fight for. Despite high casualties, the Russians/Germans had hope they were fighting for a better world.

3. Vietnam

For the Vietnamese I can't imagine it was so terrible. They were dying in horrific ways, but the Americans had Operation Phoenix, which by a Phoenix operative account went like so:

>The normal procedure would be to go into a village and just grab someone and say, 'Where's Nguyen so-and-so?' Half the time the people were so afraid they would not say anything. Then a Phoenix team would take the informant, put a sandbag over his head, poke out two holes so he could see, put commo wire around his neck like a long leash, and walk him through the village and say, 'When we go by Nguyen's house scratch your head.' Then that night Phoenix would come back, knock on the door, and say, 'April Fools, motherfucker.' Whoever answered the door would get wasted.

Getting killed for fighting against *that*, I think it was a just cause for them. And on the American side we were pretty detached from the war. Dropping napalm on jungle gooks; it was horrifying and war crimes were abound but I don't think many people felt personally responsible for genocide.

4. Pacific Theater

Those filthy nips attacked us first and got what was coming to them.

from fun to not fun:

>WW2
gassing jews and shooting britbongs
>vietnam
smoking blunts and fucking chingchongs
>eastern front
really fucking cold
>WW1
face blown off, all round trolled

>No antibiotics
u are retarded. the had penicillin
>surgery was still very hackish on the battlefield
it always is... ever hear of first aid dumbass?
>wave attacks
these only lasted for the first half of the war, the rest were night raids. suicide tactics were only popular with retarded commanders early - whom were soon replaced by younger commands

>WWI

Literally nothing else compares. With these ther wars you have the moving front, measurable progress, technology is more advanced, everything is different.

WWI is literally the death of an entire generation and a wake up call that THIS is what war in the modern era is like.

>mortar "drum fire"
Literally so many 400mm cannons firing at once that it sounds like a snare drum rolling. Then, as that rains down around you, you're forced to run toward into a field filled with dead bodies in all states of decay, with a cratered landscape like the moon, but squishy, with pools of acrid green water, where dead bodies float amongst human shit.

It's the worst by far, you had literally tens of thousands of people freezing to death in a single night, 720000 people starving to death in Germany during the "Turnip Winter", literally tens of thousands of casualties on a single day routinely. Nothing else compares.

All of those things werent in nearly as wide use as they are today, it wasn't american civil war tier but it was still leagues worse than anything even if just counted in sheer scale.

Here ya go. blog.sciencemuseum.org.uk/1920-penicillin-discovery/

This post shows COMPLETE and utter ignorance.

Name one engagement in the Civil War that lasted more than a month and killed more than 100000 people? What's that? It didn't exist? Because that shit happened routinely in WWI

being a white minority

World War 1 holds no comparison in modern history. The Western world exterminated an entire generation of men for no real gains, in wholesale industrial fashion. To be a Soldier in World War 1 was a death sentence.

At least in World War 2, you had agency as a soldier. World War 2 was shitty for civilians. It still killed soldiers in industrial fashion, but at least those soldiers died accomplishing things.

Vietnam a retarded imperial conflict of limited casualties. 55,000 Americans got killed in over the Vietnam War. Consider that that man Americans were killed in the Second Battle of France.

the worsts death are not military related

USfags in this thread are all "muh vietnam was the worst war of all times, because muh america" come on

>and utter ignorance.
autism

So, having nightmares is worse than dying slowly with your guts spilled out in a muddy trench?
Don't forget the every other war had soldiers with PTSD as well.

1 WW1 trench warfare and it isnt even really close
2 Pacific Theatre
3 Vietnam
4 Russian/Eastern Front

et tu, niggus??

You got BTFO'd pretty hard there, too. But nobody can top your rifle-dropping antics in 1940.

It's true you dumb Slav. A bit redudant though I will admit.

Fuck off people only counting just casualties. Dead soldiers don't have to reintegrate into society. Un-televised wars don't wane on countries the same way mass coverage does. Also, the world wars were seen as riotous and it was fucking religious to become a soldier. Killing people was viewed as a good thing. In modern society people are conditioned to committing violence. You turn them into soldiers and you're going to fuck their head up a lot more.

1. WW1 Trench Warfare
2. WW2 Pacific Theater
3. WW2 Ostfront
4. Vietnam

>wane

stopped reading

Europe should have paid attention to the American Civil War.

It was the first truly modern war. It was the war that introduced Machine Guns, repeating rifles, instant communication with the capital and the national leadership during battle, amphibious beach landings under fire supported by naval artillery, indirect artillery strikes, submarines, ironclad warships, and the deliberate targeting of an enemies industrial capacity and their civilian workforce as a legitimate war aim.

Its why US Casualties in World War 1, even for its short term relationship with the war were so low. The United States was the sole Western Power that learned how to fight a modern war. At tremendous cost. But not at as much cost as France, Germany and Britain learned once technology had advanced. Going into WW1, they still used the same tactics the Federal Army used, and ultimately rejected in the US civil War 70 years prior.

>you dumb Slav
my bad, let's settle on autism and ignorance. what the hell, why not both

I'm definitley going to say WW1 the sheer technological leap alone to automatic loading weapons literally created entire oceans of dead bodies all while the commanders still played off old CHARGE 19th century tactics.

Then Vietnam. My dad was a radioman for an Australian special forces units, the things he told me about how the Vietcong fought, to when you fought, it was fucking unimaginable. You do a nighttime patrol, in the jungle you can't even see your hand in front of your face all you can do is hold your comrades shoulder and walk in line to the sound of footsteps, bugs that can kill you, animals that can gore you (boars and pumas) and ambushes where you don't even get a chance to shoot you just either immediately die from headshot or drop to ground and wait till they run out of ammo, most of the time, the VC were so close you could hear there magazines click and fall out of their guns. Muzzle flash. Dead. Fuck that.

How many fucKing times are you gonna say literally? It makes you sound like a 12 year old

>it's cool not to have a vocabulary
>it's cool to be an uneducated nigger

>a legitimately interesting thread on Cred Forums

Wane is far too close to wang to be taken seriously. It completely blows your entire post. I take it you are uneducated?

I've heard that plastic surgery more or less got kickstarted because of all the mutilated WW1 soldiers

upside is that they'd treat you really well if you were a mutilated WW1 vet. they'd put you away in some forest retreat so the world couldn't see how much of an abomination to humanity you had become

truly a simpler time

no, any modern conflict with asymmetric warfare will do faggot
>said it was the worst becasue it was the only choice among the list with the aforementioned quality

hope your fucking country gets bombed, even if your saying that as a US citizen

>The Western world exterminated an entire generation of men for no real gains

can KEK make this happen to the nu-male cuck millennials?

All war is hell. Most of you faggots would shit your pants at the first sound of gun fire. Stop trying to compare them. They all are hell.

I've served and seen a lot of death. I would never rank my experiences up against another war because they all are equally horrific.

china in literally any war at any point in time.

fucking gooks are brutal to eachother.

You're fucking dumb. No wonder you are stupid.

POG spotted

Thats unsupported. Field grade American officers didn't listen to the advice of their british and french counter parts and made the same mistakes they made at the beginning of the war.

Americans had a fascination with "walking fire" sending in battalions of infantry at a time to sweep, which didn't work. British, French, and German armies had already mastered the use of small assault troops supported by rolling artillery barrages which probed and broke lines that could be better exploited by the remaining infantry brigades.

Americans didn't break easily though, despite the more advanced german tactics they faced.

>my shitty noob war was not included
stay salty failed rambo

>smoking opium and fucking gook whores while burning down the occasional village is as bad as the battle of the somme

The thing to note is that that England, France and Germany followed this tactic. The US Army did not. The US Expeditionary force to France in 1917 used a strategy of diffusion of command, giving maneuver initiative to the commanders at the company level in accordance with the overall division strategic aim.

8 US Divisions fought at the battle of Second Marne, compared to 4 British Divisions. Yet a British Force half the size of the American force sustained 16,000 casualties to the American 12,000. And not for lack of effort. The US 3rd Infantry Division found itself at the very center of the German advance on the Marne line, but its commanders already knew how to deal with indirect artillery and machine guns, having gone over these problems ad nauseum at West Point in their examinations of the US Civil War.

>if you're a dead bastard you don't have to worry about much

when you're dead you don't have to worry about anything
>basic fucking logic

Nothing compares to The Great War. Nothing comes close. The sheer human carnage is unimaginable. It was as though a beast appeared in Europe and all the world competed to see how many men they could feed it.

For years, the western front barely moved. Consider the reality of that for a moment. This fight kills tens of thousands of men on quiet days, and the fighting was so condensed that often the dead were unreachable. Consider how many resources had to be dedicated to simply removing casualties from your own trenches. Eventually you will realize the men who fought in this war did so among those who the war had already consumed.

Imagine the smell.

Imagine what the earth looks like after being shelled millions of times (Not Hyperbole).
Soldiers in The Great War were sentenced to die upon and dissolve into a place that had essentially become the moon..

Fucking this. I don't think a lot of people here understand how horrific the western front was. Surrounded by half buried dead corpses all up and down the trenches, flys and maggots coming off the bodies into your food and drink. Artillery constantly raining down causing literal shellshock, not the pussy ass PTSD guys get now, watching your comrade slowly sinking into the mud over the course of a day screaming for his life with no help possible

It's better than being a bitchy mongoloid living in a worthless shit hole.

youtube.com/watch?v=klew64gasjw

Iran/Iraq war was literally ww1 but innamideast moreso. Both sides had little air support and were locked into trench warfare with largely armor/infantry based conflict.

Why dont you go back and play some more video games.

WHY THE FUCK did WW1 have to happen? Jesus Christ.

WW1's trench warfare situation was caused by a combined incompetence

1. WW1 Trench Warfare
2. WW2 Ostfront
3. WW2 Pacific
4. Vietnam

This is basically not up for debate and I'm glad most people seem to agree. WW1 western front was the worst warfare experience for soldiers in perhaps all of human history.

actually, most soldiers just fired blindly at each other all day and occasionally suck over to enemy trenches during the night to try and sneak attack.
>suicide tactics became an old meme that weren't used for more than one year

are you retarded

sure thing Josh

>WW1 western front was the worst warfare experience for soldiers in perhaps all of human history.
i'd take it over the american civil war.

and you are the neckbeard who thinks he understands war. Not a single person here posting their power ranks has seen any combat.

And lets not forget the greatest tragedy of World War 1.

The destruction of the Second German Empire. Its destruction marked the end of the High Nobility in Europe. The House of Hohenzollern, the House of Hapsburg. Hell, lets even throw in the Romanovs and the House of Saxe-Coburg that renamed themselves "Windsor" and threw away what little royal rights they had left in order to stop the mouth breathing mobs in Westminster from declaring a Republic.

All of this set the stage for the collapse of Europe, and the Second World War. The First World War also made it inevitable that the United States would become the dominate global power, at least a century before it was ready to assume this role. The entire story of the 1950's is US policy makers and diplomats realizing they had gone from a second string power to THE power and wondering wtf they were going to do now, now that the European Empires had collapsed.

World War 1 was a catastrophe. World War 2 was just the aftershock.

WW1 Trench Warfare was the worst. Imagine being in the smelliest, most disgusting enclosed place for 6 months with constant shelling which is like Russian Roulette wearing the same clothes and having to look at your dead comrades rotting away.

In other wars at least you move around and battles are over quick. That's why so many WW1 veterans got shell shock aka turned into vegetables.

the vast majority, almost 90% of ordinance fired in WW1 didn't hit anywhere close to targeted positions. troop fortifications were months away from reaching Maginot Line levels. the development of mechanized warfare beat out fortifications and was the fuck all countermeasure to that way of war besides deep bunkers.

>citation needed
>1916 was the bloodiest year of the war

Unified Germany is a threat to France and Britain that had never been posed before. there was only one way things could go after 1871, and it included total war

>Vietnam above ww1
americans lmao

soldiers rotated out like every three weeks bro

youtu.be/IWHbF5jGJY0

When I think of the assholes who get "triggered" today and need safe spaces with coloring books after people say mean things to them, I just remember WW1. PTSD so bad that it manifested physical symptoms. It broke their minds and some never fully recovered. And they were lucky not to become mulch in the artillary.

nah Civil War soldiers had a pretty big variety of experiences and a ridiculously important cause

almost everybody in WW1 was stuck in a trench waiting to get shelled then being machine gun fodder for literally nothing

All war is horrific but its pretty much generally accepted the western front during WW1 was worse than any other conditions faced in other wars. That and the TE and central powers essentially were fine with sitting there and letting people die until they would maybe one day give up and call it a draw.

it's been proven that like 90% of the footage in this video was staged. don't let the propaganda affect you emotionally

>whites could have pacified and colonized the entire world
>instead we killed each other on an industrial scale and let the Googles inherit the earth

never again senpai.

guess what, no one gives a shit. artillery improved around that time as well. 11.5% of British soldiers ever sent into battle during WW1 died. A higher percentage died during the Crimean War.

literally not one person has put that

downside of this was your entire army had to experience the hell that was the somme, or verdun, for a minimum of three weeks. most rotated through more than once. had a devastating effect on the morale of the army as a whole.

finally someone who doesn't buy into myths and legends of ww1.

This metallica song was written about a World War 1 Soldier.

youtube.com/watch?v=WM8bTdBs-cw

Now think about that. 80 years after the fact, a rock band made a song about the suffering of a World war 1 soldier.

And god, its horrific.

Iran-Iraq War was crazy, shame there aren't any real good documentaries on it

youtube.com/watch?v=_qmCwn3zOFM

Also, I gotta say, Chinese wars? They fucking DECIMATE each other its absolutely incredible.

America did far worse in WW1 than any other country at that time. The only Americans that did ok were the Marines - and they were only slightly better because they had experience from the Phillipines.

WW1 was the 9th bloodiest was by casualties. Stop blowing it out of proportion - two fucking rebellions in China had more deaths, faggots

lmao, so the gist of your argument is... world war one wasn't that bad? actually a pretty good time with the lads?

I think you're looking for another word. Decimate means to kill 10%. Chinese wars were hugely destructive but because a lot of people died in famines. There armies were fucking monstrous too, they were very good at logistics so could get several hundred thousand peasants under arms, clothed, armed and fed. Most large European armies during the middle ages struggled to get above 20k. 50k was considered very big. Roman armies were bigger but they never got to the same size as Chinese armies

deaths alone dont represent how shit the conditions were

stop moving the goalposts, you were originally saying vietnam was worse than world war one, now you're going by total death toll?

compared to plenty of other conflicts, yes. hell fucking yes. there is too much mythos surrounding WW1 that people like to pull from deep out of their asses.
>troops were rotated
>most confrontations were during the night
>suicides runs were not popular for long
>medical treatment advanced throughout the war
people even called it The Great War at the time, but there had already been greater conflicts. If we're going by casualties - WW2. it shits on everything. wars had already been fought in fucking shittier ways than WW1 - historical accounts just meme it out of proportion

More than enough time for your limbs to literally rot off your body while you wallow in the shit piss and gore of your friends senpai.

>since other faggots decided death toll was the new goal

The main problem with the Western world today is that we lost the thread one hundred years ago. We lost thousands of great writers, poets, composers, inventors, scientists, philosophers, statesmen... all for nothing. If they could have seen a glimpse of the world today, they would have laid down their arms without a moment's hesitation.

It was the Great War. World War One is a neutered name that rightfully belongs to a shitty Hollywood franchise, not to the greatest tragedy in history. And now they're making a popular video game of the whole affair, so the next generation of kids can have thrilling FPS action be the first thing that comes to mind when they think of it.

Ok. Obliterate. Completely destroy. Entire nations of people were completely destroyed numerically in Chinese wars. Wew lad.

European Armies were also hamstrung by a quality level it should be noted. Chinese Armies viewed attrition as an acceptable outcome. European Armies did not. This was the major difference between the two, and also why Europe developed professional armies and China did not.

In fact, China is unique in its lack of a professional military among the various civilizations. Even Japan developed a warrior caste. But in China the military was considered an unimportant arm of the State. I suppose this could conceivably say good things about the State, but in practice it meant China was also subject to invasion by vastly inferior neighboring powers, and peasant revolts on horrific scales.

It took the generals quite a long time to realize that they needed to do this.

Too fucking many Americans skip to where we entered the goddamn war.

Deaths plus the static nature of the battlefield. People forgetting that the question of battlefield conditions.

You're avoiding the sheer tonnage of shells with a pecentage.

>Don't worry men! Only 250,000 of the 2.5 million shells in this initial bombardment will hit their targets! We've nothing to fear.

You're not actually that stupid are you?

>rotating every few weeks somehow lessens weeks to months of standing in shit and piss water breathing in chem gas as well as dead body smell/bodily fluids, getting bombed, having lice, maggots, rats, and flies constantly around you and an inability to sleep

it was a war fought for no godamn reason. too many nationalists with their heads too far up their own aristocratic asses. hence the lost generation

>troops were rotated
meaning your whole army was exposed to the hell of these major battles
>most confrontations were during the night
meaning you were never safe enough to relax, or sleep
>suicide runs were not popular for long
then why did 50k die in the opening assault of the somme, years into the war?
>medical treatment advanced throughout the war
some things can't be fixed.

bullshit. The chinese were far better at logistics than European armies and their armies were far better equipped. better engineers, better planning, better communication systems and were overall more sophisticated in every level. European medieval armies were very backwards compared to the Middle East and East Asia.

Warrior caste in Japan is mostly a meme. It just meant someone who was legally allowed to carry weapons. Their military philosophy was basically a mixture of what had come in from South Korea and China.

China had dynasties that lasted many hundreds of years, they collapsed from different reasons. They were invaded and conquered by nomadic horsemen from the North on more than one occasion, but so was Europe and the Middle East

lol what mechanized warfare. That shit didn't start getting introduced in the late 1916's. Before that we had 2 good years of machine gunnining down mass infantry charges.

And the Tank really did not come into its own until 1918, when Germany was on the verge of a military coup anyway.

World War 1 ended borderline inconclusive, and only the threat of that Coup convinced the Kaiser to surrender. In retrospect, he should have fought to the death. Would have saved Western Civilization a world of hurt, considering how badly France and Britain fucked up the peace.

>gas masks
>chemical weapons can easily kill your own troops if the wind shifts
>chemical weapons can easily kill your own troops if they take a position previously fucked by chemical weapons (they figure that one out real fast)
>chemical weapons memer
>all wars have dead people, and pest little things

Ww1
Ww2
Korean war
Spanish American
Gulf War 2
Gulf War 1
Grenada
Kosova
Vietnam

Why everyone forget Korea?

Why don't you kill yourself

>pretty much every other war was the same!
We're learning, aren't we?

20th century ignouritous!!!!

i dont know if youre trolling or if youre actually just dumb

they didnt really talk about the korean war much when i was in school

>forgotten war

>Can't even spell Bataan right

As for op, I'd say its a toss up between Stalingrad and some pacific campaigns

None of them were on the scale of stalingrad, but I wouldn't say they were anymore pleasant.

In stalingrad you had the biting cold, frostbite, but the corpses froze

In the pacific you had the brutal heat and humidity, disease, decomposition, smell

I would not want to be in either

No way. If you are talking about random feudal fiefs vs. other random feudal fiefs, sure, this argument is valid.

But consider the invasion of the Holy Roman Empire by the Mongolian Empire and the declaration of Reichkriege. The Medieval Armies of Europe halted an armed juggernaut that (literally) raped China.

Certainly, the reacted far too late to save Russia, and it was only the devastation of Poland and Hungary that resulted in the Reichskriege, but the Mongols were absolutely unable to defeat the Medieval armies and retreated.

Medieval Armies get a bad rap because they were disorganized at the national level. Except when they were not. And the story of Europe was the increasing power of the Kings that were able to focus their national militaries better, and ultimately conquer the world with them.

no jungles, no trenches, limited urban fighting. comparatively low intensity, ended in a draw?

War still going on and I'm ready, that's a war I will be glad to fight, they are all brainwashed zombies to me

>all wars were the same

...they weren't tho

1. WW2 Hiroshima and Nagasaki
2. Stalingrad
3. Vietnam
4. London bombings ww2

it's never going to happen. a world war in this ear means nuclear war. hell, if we make it another 15 - 20 years without nuclear war annihilating us there is never going to be another major world war.

for now the second cold war is just going to continue, and perhaps until humans stop identifying by nationality.

No.
Absolutely different than any war has ever been.
Hopefully different than any war will ever be

It was the first Industrial Total War. It took two years for the armies to learn how to attack each other properly.

shoehorned pepe is bad form, even for a Cred Forums

That's nothing compared to the hell that the women must endure who's brothers/fathers/husbands died. ;)

youve just compared a couple specific events, a sort of lengthy event in a war, and the entirety of another war

Are those little red things all bits of gore on the street? Nice find if that's a 9/11 pics, there's a very limited supply of 9/11 gore.

WW1 trench
WW2 Eastern front
Vietnam
WW2 pacific theatre

well, I did list WW1 as my number one. >Vietnam is the worst
^typo, whole sentence was fucked really

Eh, don't judge muh logic.

That would be Hillary's shoe from earlier in the month; when she had a moment of collapse in honor of the World Trade Center.

oh yeah and bugs

Why the fuck is the Iran-Iraq War so underrated? I literally think it's the most brutal war in history
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran–Iraq_War
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Marshes
>two groups of people that have been fighting for thousands of years
>one ruled by ruthless military dictator vs the other full of insane religious zealots
>nobody gives a shit about the Geneva convention
>both sides actively launch chemical bombs into each others cities and kill countless civilians to try to make the population war exhausted but it just pisses everyone off and bolsters their ranks
>Iranians literally empty their prisons and send waves of child soldiers and prisoners to clear entire mine fields so their soldiers can advance
>Saddam fucking puts electric wiring over an entire swamp, fries thousands of advancing Persians, then uses their bodies in concrete to pave roads
>Iraqi helicopters proceed to hunt down all the Persian soldiers remaining in the swamps
>Iranians just don't give a shit and keep sending thousands and thousands of soldiers
>50 Iranian helicopters en route to the Marsh are ambushed by the Iraqi and blown out of the sky
>helicopter dog fights
Persians and Arabs hate each other so much it's almost hard to comprehend.

*by the Iraqi air force and blown out of the sky

WW2

Eastern Front
China
Pacific
Western front

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Marshes
holy fucking christ that sounds awesome!

WW1 western
WW2 eastern
WW2 pacific
Vietnam

1. WW1 Trenches
>9 artillery shells for every man on the front.
2. WW2 Russian/Eastern Front
3. WW2 Pacific Theatre
4. Vietnam

WW1 trench warfare

that was literally the worst war ever, and is the reason we invented rules for war

This.

Fuck the burger and muh 'nam.

vukovar 91

hospital

hell on earth.

Sadly, this.

>posting on /his/ ever
literally a reddit board

Kys Rambo

WWI Ammonia trench warfare ...

youtube.com/watch?v=k4Pd527GN48

video related

It's not about number of deaths. It's about prolonged suffering. Bad battles in wars lasted a couple days tops. It was over. WW1 battles lasted months and there was no moving front. Millions of shells could land in a day and you sit there living with the dead and mutilated and feces. It was hell on earth and that's where people spent years. A quick death is better than prolonged and torturous.

fella looks like he is gonna die happy

During the battle, shells and rockets were fired into the town at a rate of up to 12,000 a day

Osijek's General Hospital, the largest hospital close to the battle lines, was 80% destroyed. Although almost completely gutted by rockets and heavy artillery blasts, it continued to function. From the very first days of the conflict, all medical and surgical care was conducted in a maze of tunnels beneath the hospital that doubled as an air raid shelter. The situation was similar in hospitals of Vukovar, Vinkovci, and other Croatian towns and cities near the front lines. The occupied hospital beds were jammed together like sardines and filled all available space.

they just take BBC while their husband is getting his balls blown off by a taliban IED

"Happy" yes .. of course

Although every WW 1 poster itt makes valid points, and vivid vignettes of the horrors of that war, I am not convinced it was worse than the eastern front.

The eastern front was worse for both civilians and soldiers. In WW 1 trench warfare is terrifying, but with the eastern front, if you were captured you were either tortured horrifically or enslaved. And so what if you couldn't move in WW1? The ability to move on a MASSIVE front is far worse because of the psychological "road to nowhere". Swamp bogs, mass civilian murder, you idea of never knowing if or when you'll die, your own leaders killing you if you do not rush into a machine gun nest, the absolute chaos makes the eastern front seem worse.

But what do you think?

the largest single land battle fought in Europe since World War II

vukovar 91

1.- 4. 2 African shitholes + 1 middle eastern shithole + 1 Asian shithole

The place names within each continent are interchangeable

Theme: youtube.com/watch?v=aqAOLkSHVc4

>implying anyone miss the nobility in Europe
Wew lad. Bunch of parasites living off the taxes of the working people.
Anyway, they were destroyed because nobody needed them anymore. Officiers chosen because of their skills and not because of their birth proved to be superior.

>ignorance isn't bliss

dude is faded

>I met this wonderful guy online.
American soldiers are pointing their guns in the wrong direction

Fucking spastic

Russian / eastern front or trench warfare though the pacific theatre had its fair share of horrors

Why the fuck did you even put vietnam there? It's nothing compared to the others

WW2 Russian/Eastern Front.

PTSD is a bitch.. You cant understand if you never experienced it .. it was the strangest of things for me .. I am a different man now ..

WW2 Russian/Eastern Front
WW1 Trench Warfare

both were equally basically hell on earth for different reasons... would you rather be bombarded 24 hours a day for weeks before being told to run through the mud towards a line of machine guns or be starved to the point of cannibalism in minus 30 degree temperatures with nothing more than a shitty coat?

vietnam doesn't really compare, although the vets got a raw deal afterwards...

Vietnam vet messages echo in eternity.. youtube.com/watch?v=InRDF_0lfHk

stalingrad obv

Not as bad as trench warfare

WWI
WWII Eastern Front
Bosnian War
Algerian War.

Surprised no one is mentioning any ancient or medieval conflicts. Sure the casualties were much lower, but keep in mind that bullets and incendiary bombs help to seal wounds. Wounds from blades were absolutely horrific, blood would have been gushing everywhere. It was harder to kill people with blades too, and no human rights treaties, so imagine all the poor bastards with lost limbs being finished off by the enemy at the end of a battle. That plus the diseases and awful quality of field surgery. Sieges by the Mongols especially would've been terrifying.

Women and children were fair game after ancient battles as well. And the soldiers would have known that their families were doomed if they lost.

1)Western Front, 1916. Specifically Battle of Verdun. I rank this the first among the worst. Read up on it a bit. The entire battle was a bid to bleed out the French Army by sacrificing as many Germans as it took to get the French to give up. Generals back then gave no shits about the troops.

I won't bother with ranking the rest other than to say the almost 2-1/2 yr long siege of Leningrad was particularily nasty. Over a half million German casualties, 3-1/2 million Russian military casualties and over a million Russian civilian casualties. A dark, horrible, time in human history.

Compared to what we equip our medics now it was fucking terrible you mook. You've got a better chance of surviving a gunshot in today's war that WW1 wouldn't even lift a finger to. Combine that with proper body armor and self aid treatment options the mortality rate is vastly different.

I was also going to comment on the. The word has lost its meaning.

everyone forgot about emus. so hurt so disapoint

1. American Revolution in Washington's Army, especially at Valley Forge
2. British soldier in India/Afghanistan
3. The Grand Armee retreating from Russia

Soldiers before the 20th century had it bad.
4. Everything Else

becuase the title of the thread is "Rank the worst war zones of the 20th century?"
20th century dude

>u are retarded. the had penicillin
american education strikes again

My grandfather has told me absolutely horrific stories of stalingrad, but I think WW1 might have been even worse.

I just remember a picture of him when he returned from a front, a 186cm man weighing just 38kg (80 pounds)

nice. banting or did he just count calories?

1) WW1 Trench Warfare, why do you think french were so reluctant to fight germans all over again ? This war took half of french men between 18 and 30, you have a list of 10-15 men in almost every single village in France
2) WW2 Eastern Front, especially if you were russian
3) Russian Campaign under Napoléon
4) Vietnam

>and certainly when Stalingrad was encircled
Leningrad. Stalingrad is the one over which the biggest and bloodiest battle in the entire human history was fought.

>being the only one left alive in the trench
>a wasteland of rubble and dead bodies all around you
>still finding the strength to your position
Can't even imagine what I would do in his place.

The correct rating:

WW2 Eastern Front

Close second:
Pacific theater/China

Also

>WW1 trench warfare
>b-but muh-great-grandpa was there. He got trench foot and PTSD. bwaaaaa

Try being a russian conscript in 42 fighting the germans. Their plan was simply to exterminate russians

>NKVD was just as likely to shoot you as germans
>shit medical care
>human wave attacks that pale in comparison to WW1
>command has complete disregard for your life
>penal battalions
>no point in surrendering as the germans will starve you and once russians liberate you from prison camps, they will kill you for "collaborating" with the enemy

okay play this video at 6:30 and
>youtube.com/watch?v=_qmCwn3zOFM

and then start this song and just watch its pretty good: youtube.com/watch?v=pmBq_xtuOUM

Sounds horrific. My dad was conscripted into this war on the Iranian side, I feel very ashamed not knowing the magnitude of this war. Thank you user

>Vietnam for pshicho damage

You fucking what you shart in mart retard?

During Stalingrad my great grandfather had to to stand of one of the largest artillery barrages on the eastern front. Thousands of Katyushas lighting up the sky and pummling the ground. Then out of the horizon steel beast come crawling. And worst off you hage only one way to kill them, get coose enough to throw and explosive charge, there is no support and no reinforcement.

I think that does more damage than a Jungle Gook that has no clue how to aim firing through the bushes.

My great grandfather was in WWI and Stalingrad, in the Romanian legion, and I remember a story about how he was sleeping under a tree and when he woke up and walked around, a mortar landed on the same tree, lol

WW2 Russian front was probably the worst, the cold was unbearable and the casualties were the highest in the history of war iirc. There's plenty of evidence on unspeakable acts of savagery too and thats not counting the ones that remain buried.

All this wrong
the worst battle in HISTORY was:
>Utoya 22.july

THINK OF THE CHILDREN, BREIVIK KILLED ONE BILLION CHILDREN WITH A CHAINSAW, THEN HE BLEW UP THE ENTIRE CITY OF OSLO WITH HIS NUCLEAR VAN!

>THINK OF THE CHILDREN, BREIVIK KILLED ONE BILLION CHILDREN WITH A CHAINSAW, THEN HE BLEW UP THE ENTIRE CITY OF OSLO WITH HIS NUCLEAR VAN!

That'd be pretty hardcore

It wasn't hardcore, it was gruesome, he captured one child of every available gender and ethnicity (thus amounting to one BILLION children) and ran through them for hours with his chainsaw, the police couldn't stop him in time because they had misplaced their key to Norways "gunbox" (super secret goverment secret, don't tell anyone, but Norway actually have ONE WHOLE GUN hidden in our safest vaults)
Then he blew up all of Norway with his atomic death van, killing democracy and ushering the age of darkness we live in today.

>ONE WHOLE GUN

Are you fucking crazy, guns are dangerous as shit, you are essentially the redneck America of Scandinavia.