Are functioning alcoholics still degenerates?

I love to drink. I don't drink everyday, but 2~3 times a week, I get drunk. I mean stinkin', passout drunk.

Now before you start calling me names, here's what my drinking is like:

1. I never cause problems when I drink.
2. I never drive when drunk.
3. I'm never late to work the next day.
4. I'm able to function properly at work everyday.
5. I am married and have 2 kids, and my drinking has never caused any conflict in my duties or responsibilities as a parent or husband.
6. I make a decent living. Not rich, but not poor by any means.
7. I never drink during the day. Only at night, after having dinner with my family and retiring to my "man-space".

Now, here's my problem. Truth be told, I'm sure I could be a lot more successful, and a lot richer if I didn't drink at all. Because, the day after I drink, I'm only functioning at 80%. And getting motivated is hard as hell. It's good enough to get by, but I wonder if my life would be better if I gave up drinking all together.

But on the same token, I enjoy drinking. I really do. I like how it makes me feel. I like having to forget all my troubles just for a few hours.

Am I wrong for enjoying drinking?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol-related_dementia
health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/appendix-9/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm in a similar boat. I really enjoy getting drunk, but I know I'd get more done if I gave it up. Ask yourself, what could I do with that time instead of getting wasted? Probably something much more fulfilling.

A drink or two is nice, especially during special occasions. But to get absolutely drunk is degenerate.

But drinking itself is fulfilling. Should I convince myself that it's not?

Alcohol is degenerate. But it's fun. It's the only vice left that I haven't managed to kick. I've stopped smoking, taking drugs .. But a nice fridge pack of beer is too hard to resist.

Work is not everything, you should be able to find a balance and family should always be your top priority.

I dont have a family of my own but i do have job and i like to get stoned/wasted often and since it doesn't tamper with my job and im fairly young i feel like it's fine.

I drink about 3 shots of vodka a night with ice. It gets me nice and buzzed and I don't think I'm quitting anytime soon. It dulls a lot of my physical pain and helps me relax

Is that wrong

You will feel differently when your skin is yellow, your abdomen fills with fluid and has to be drained by a needle every week, and you eventually die early by vomiting liters of blood.

It's degenerate.

Yes

3 shots a night doesn't make you functioning alcoholic. I drink about 500ml of scotch everytime I drink. That's a lot. I admit. Hence, I admit I'm a functioning alcoholic.

>1. I never cause problems when I drink.
Yet
>2. I never drive when drunk.
What if you decide to drive while drunk?
>3. I'm never late to work the next day.
>4. I'm able to function properly at work everyday.
>5. I am married and have 2 kids, and my drinking has never caused any conflict in my duties or responsibilities as a parent or husband.
>6. I make a decent living. Not rich, but not poor by any means.
>7. I never drink during the day. Only at night, after having dinner with my family and retiring to my "man-space".
Ultimately the rest all fall into the category of your health. Binge drinking--acute ethanol exposure--causes unique symptoms compared to long-term alcoholics that drink everyday.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying drinking, and in fact drinking responsibly has been shown to be more healthy than not drinking at all, but if you're pounding down a lot of alcohol at one time you are seriously harming yourself and shortening your lifespan. Consider spreading it out more.

Pussy

Just live strong, raise and non degenerate family and enjoy what little time you have.
You will eventually die anyway

Yes. Compare what you have with what you could've been and that'll convince you. Also
>my drinking doesnt make me a bad dad
What if you're blind drunk and your wife has a heart attack? Will you be able to take care of it? Work is not everything, being 80% good at your work doesnt mean youre a 80% good dad

That's not always true. I know many people who have drank all their life and never had any problems.

I get drunk a few times most weeks but certainly wouldn't describe myself as an alcoholic. I think that's honestly a meme term used by a lot of weak minded people to make themselves feel better about their lack of self control.
>Truth be told, I'm sure I could be a lot more successful, and a lot richer if I didn't drink at all. Because, the day after I drink, I'm only functioning at 80%
If you think this then stop drinking, at least a couple months, and see how it goes.

>4. I'm able to function properly at work everyday.
>the day after I drink, I'm only functioning at 80%.

These are contradictory statements.

No. It's your own choice if you want to ruin your liver.

No it's not. It doesn't take 100% of me to do my job. I can do it just fine operating at 80%. 80% of me, in fact, is better than most people operating at 100%.

'A study published in August 2010 in the journal, “Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research,” followed 1,824 participants between the ages of 55 and 65 and found that even after adjusting for all covariates, abstainers and heavy drinkers continued to show increased mortality risks of 51 and 45%, respectively, compared to moderate drinkers.'

Responsible drinking is fine and healthy.

Asking Cred Forums if your life style choices that you've consciously made are degenerate, is degenerate.

I drink really heavily every day, I'm 20.

Is there hope for me? I don't drink good stuff either, the most cheapest and strongest alcohol you can buy, about 3 litres of 7.5% cider every day.

Am I truly fucked? I don't mind if I die, but I don't want to upset my girlfriend or family.

The only problem with drinking are people with their own agenda against drinking.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol-related_dementia

Please get help my friend.

>drinking estrogen

>functioning alcoholic

that's one hell of an oxymoron you have there

This. Makes no sense. If you know you're degenerate, you would never do it in the first place. I'm asking because I come from a culture where drinking is very much accepted. So I'm confused. Hence, my asking the autistic geniuses at Cred Forums

It's a gamble. Watch youtube "rain in my heart" doco. 2 out of 4 in the doco died. One died of liver 10 years after quitting. Watch the doco thou

7.5% is a really low percentage, unless you are fucking gay there's no way you get drunk with 3lts.

It will fuck you up in the long time tho

>Are functioning alcoholics still degenerates?

Yes.

I drink about 5 beers a day. It's nothing. Overeating dinner makes you feel shittier

Same boat. Start smoking weed via a vaporizer (I use a magic flight box). It got me off all alcohol. Again, after 8pm just about every night with the booze. Va ping is 99% better for you. Also start working out in the am. I get up at 430, gym opens at 5am. Just stick with it. Most people that consistently go have some sort of substance abuse. We tend to max everything out in our l8ves But honestly as I write this post I'm on my 6th beer and can honestly say weed saved my life. War fuckin my up really bad mentally as well as being wounded. Stay strong OPPO. Live long for your kids, protect your liver, and cut back on the drinking...Faggot...

Ur a gay

I see you've fallen for the nihilism meymey

Right. Not yet at least. But degeneracy is about the population level.

13 total of beers/shots(1oz) /glasses of while (8oz) total in a 7 day period is officially classified as an alcoholic. If you drink that or more and still function you're a functional alcoholic.

As long as you can take control of your self and can see that you're doing it moderately with no repercussions, you're safe.

Hey do you have a source on that figure? I've never heard it before.

Why leaf?
I'm able to work fine the next morning. I drink a ton of water so I'm not dehydrated. But I'm finding my tolerance is increasing and I'd rather not start drinking more. Any advice?

You're really running hard from some demons my friend. Now is the time to ask for help from family/friends or do some independent hunting for a therapist.

It's not an oxymoron. There are people who function quite well, and even thrive, while being dependent on a chemical.

Acetaminophen, oxycodine, caffeine, Adderall, nicotine, Alprazolam (Xanax). All these are drugs, yet plenty of people function just fine and even lead very successful lives using these substances.

I would say so. Everyone has their vices because without release valves people would go insane or commit suicide.

>be a wage slave
>over worked/stressed/anxiety
>women are whores/unloyal
>the world is full of fuck
>etc

Remind me how this equation cant involve getting drunk at least every other day.

You should drink because you enjoy not to escape your shitty life you fucking weak faggot

Up until the industrial revolution, everybody who could afford it (and that was nearly everybody) was drunk all day and night. They still managed to fight a lot of wars, burn a lot of witches, get really muddy and not bathe, etc. etc. despite being drunk. So it is safe to say that there is no problem with a white man being drunk all day, it is his culture. Furthermore, there is evidence that the original settlements developed in Mesopotamia were designed around the production of beer -- as in, the desire for a steady supply of beer is what made people first start to form civilization.

I used to make a living detoxing """functional alcoholics"""" who would do nothing but shit and piss themselves, laying incoherently in a bed unable to speak. For weeks.
They're worse than your most severe autistic

and you say it's not degenerate?

>2-3 days A week I get stinkin passout drunk
>doesn't effect my family at all
How naive are you?

Hunting it down right now. It was a US Federal pamphlet at my hospital. That stated the numbers and then gave a nation wide number to call. Looking for a link.

You're probably a douche bag when you're drunk and annoy a lot of people.

You sound like a faggot to me. I hope you get cirrhosis

Once tolerance starts to inctrease, theres no turning back, you'll keep drinking more & more

I empathize with you completely on every level but alcohol isn't the answer. I don't know what the answer is but alcohol puts you in a state of even more unrest when you are hungover especially if you have anxiety on a day to day basis.

That's not fair dude. I don't piss myself. I don't shit myself. I have a $600k house, fully paid with no mortgage. I have 2 very outstanding children who are star students and athletes in their schools. By any definition, I'm functioning properly. Don't put me in the same trash as those you call "functioning alcoholic".

>the freudian jew
no but really user needs to talk to someone

Found it:
health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/appendix-9/

This.

I'm a recovering alcoholic.

At my bottom I was drinking 1.5 litres of vodka a night and waking up for work the next day with little more than a mild hangover.

It creeps up on you - stop now.

An alcoholic is someone who absolutely cannot handle being sober for more than a day or two.

Ive gone 3 years but I voluntarily quit for my on call 24/7 job.

Is it bad to drink up to 6 beers a day, I don't get drunk from it but I like the taste of it and it's nice to end the night playing a game.

You piece of degenerate fucking trash.

You SAY All of those things in your list, but how the FUCK you would know? You're drunk retard. And even if you knew it, you would have such extreme cognitive dissonance kick in so you could keep drinking it wouldn't fucking matter in the least bit.

Fuck you. Potheads are a million times more tolerable than drunks.

Soberfags will die in (((wars))) while I'm laughing dead as fuck

No. I don't annoy a lot of people. I stay to myself when I drink. I make sure I don't get overly drunk when I'm in a social situation. I only get pissed drunk when I'm alone in my man-cave. And I like it.

Officially it is bad, yes.

Okay so I'll try to keep it to only 3 shots.

It scares me sometimes how this shit can creep up on one.

Yes

Do not do that, you destroy your brain and liver, cut it out. But don't go cold turkey, you must step down gradually or you might get delirium tremens, which you can die off if you are not fit.

You heart rate will go up to like 180 bpm when you are sitting, things will start to feel crawling(crawling in my skin that gay song), you will get hallucinations.. if this happens you must drink more.

Been there. Done it. Wasted years. Get out.
There is no such thing as a functional alki or amphetamine abuser, it's just the matter of time when the train crashes.

You just shit your self with this mate, cut it out and start working out. In the start it isn't even ok with 1 beer in the weekend even, that can come later learn to control it then rather then avoid it, seek it.

You're fine. It doesn't impair your ability to be a productive member of society. Fuck the self appointed moral fags. Beer and liquor are manufactured because lots of people like it. It makes them feel good. However, in the future, you may find your health suffering. LOTS of intelligent, successful, and famous people liked to drink. Just make sure that you do not become famous BECAUSE of your drinking.

This thread consists of three people:
>casual drinkers who think they drink too much but in reality not enough to do long term damage
>hardcore alcoholics who lead shitty lives and use alcohol to drown misery
>anti-social weebs who don't leave the house and probably have never drank before

One point of advice for you in the mean time OP is to make sure you're taking a good B-Complex vitamins. Drinking rekts your the B hard in your body.

Studies show more.intelligent people drink because they are more aware/insiteful than the average idiot.

I'm not weak minded or even physically for that matter you lilly livered cuck

What if I exercise everyday though? Still have insane negative health effects over time?

>You piece of degenerate fucking trash.

Thank you. This is what I was looking for. I think...
But to be fair, I'm not drunk all the time. Just 2~3 nights a week. Granted, piss drunk. But not drunk all the time. So I would know if my life was going to shit. But, to be honest, it's not going to shit. It's just... Okay.....
And that was the reason I posted this in the first place.

You forgot the tow truck driver bruh

What the fuck are you talking about?

3lts at 7.5% alcohol, is equivalent to 600ml alcohol at 37.5%. It is basically an entire bottle of Scotch by alcohol content.

You are a dumbass, who fails at basic maths.

It's much easier to be a functioning stoner than an alcoholic.
So while I don't judge, I'd be more inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to stoners than alcoholics.

Fuck you. He SAID that he keeps to himself to avoid annoying people. YOU seem to be the annoying one. Only one post, and two people hate you already.

>functioning alcoholic
Like jumbo shrimp, that's an oxymoron.

Tell your liver and brain I said rip in piece