The Nag Hammadi, Dead Sea Scrolls, Book of Enoch, Gnostic Gospels, etc

Today I bought this collection from the Nag Hammadi finds, which contains a large amount of Gnostic writings. I was wondering what you guys thought about these "non-canon" books of the New Testament in particular.

As a sort of background for those not in the know, the Bible assembled by the Church is only a fraction of the extent writings done by Christians or others on Christ and his time, and the Nag Hammadi library was a pretty large collection of those writings which apparently the Church desired to hide since the teachings didn't fit their narrative.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ETFeZUwcBRQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absurdism
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Weren't those scrolls written by some isolated cult which wasn't part of Christianity?

all i know is that Erich von Daniken loves these books, they are much of the foundation of his writings.

they talk about the wathcers, annunaki, and otherdivine encounters that are probably ayy lmaos trying to redpill a bunch of monkeys

no they were censored away by the Council of Niece in 300BC

didnt fit the narrative. jews being jews.

Fun to learn about, but when you think of the larger function religion has (social cohesion, moral guidance, community interaction, etc) it's not really important.

The Christianity we have now is actually pretty decent, and I think gnosticism has even more potential for poz. It just has a liberal, contrarian feel to it.
>um ACTUALLY the old testament god was the evil Yaldabaoth who created this world as a PRISON

If you believe in Perennialism, gnosticism is just another path toward the higher truths imbued in all major religions, and isn't the only way to experience direct knowledge of the divine (gnosis). I enjoy reading about esoteric Christianity and occultism and gnosticism and kabbalah, but I don't think it's useful on a large scale because most people simply won't get it. When it comes to esotericism I think it has to be a personal journey or something done with a small group of like-minded people. The masses simply aren't receptive to these ideas.

Your timeline is a bit out but you are basically right.

>The Christianity we have now is actually pretty decent
No, biblical christianity is Saturn worship. You might as well worship the black cube in mecca, because it's the same thing.

Early Christianity was a stew of many different beliefs and interpretations of the sacred texts. Some of them radically different from each other.

Our Christianity is descended from the "winner" of these disputes, who, once in power, purged all the other versions of Christianity and established their beliefs as the orthodoxy. Our bible is the set of beliefs that Christians "settled on", but there were many more "sacred texts" that could have been used if the winners had been a different sect.

>The Christianity we have now is actually pretty decent

Which one? The one about prosperity and how to lose weight that's being pumped into the minds in huge makeshift stadiums? Or the one that's devoid of any spirituality?

Which obscure form of paganism should we convert 2 billion Christians to? What's your plan to make it happen?

Not really.

Mods! Not political. saged

As a christian how can we hope to know what is and isn't true.

>2 billion christians are feeding a saturnine egregore with their prayers
Anything but Islam is better at this point.

Gita is more interesting.

youtube.com/watch?v=ETFeZUwcBRQ

Yeah you should have seen the rock concert at the Council of Nicea. The tattooed pastor signed Constantine's helmet! Jewish academia won't acknowledge!

They're interesting reads, publicly proclaiming reading them gets one nowhere though.

Take your heresy somewhere else, heretic. Or do you not realize the satanic element of gnosticism? Gnosticism turns Christ into a mere intellectualism, attainable only by those 'illumined' by gnosis. In reality, you never know anything, and deceive yourself. Read the Athanasian creed and follow it, avoid gnostic heresies

You can also checkout Prometheus Rising

What is interesting is that all these writings confirm that actually Jesus existed, and something very important happened these days.

>The Christianity we have now is actually pretty decent,

If "decent" means a decadent interpretation that doesn't follow the original teachings, putting the personal needs of some wakos and losers over the truth?....

Massive chuckle

>Modern Christianity is a stew of many different beliefs and interpretations of the sacred texts. Some of them radically different from each other.

Fixed.

>Gnosticism turns Christ into a mere intellectualism, attainable only by those 'illumined' by gnosis
Christ is one big solar/serpent allegory. He's about as real as Hiram Abiff.

>jew-tales left out of the jew Bible
great thread shlomo
maybe the demiurge will fuck you up

Some one is butthurt that they haven't actually communed with the holy spirit. Merely passing on any such contact into a cracker and wine.

Better at being blatant, yes.

>What is interesting is that all these writings confirm that actually Jesus existed, and something very important happened these days.
but what. I just want to know the truth of the divine, but I have no idea what to do.

All of modern Christianity is descended from the sect that became orthodoxy in the 300s. lol @ all you conspiracy retards and fedoras trying to shoot sassy zingers in my direction instead of replying substantively

>OH YOU MEAN THE CHRISTIANITY THAT KISSES THE FEET OF MUSLIM REFUGEES? YEAH NO THANKS BUB

Try to imagine you're talking to an actual person and exchange actual ideas. This starts with reading what I said and figuring out what I actually meant by it. Click my ID and see my other posts if this helps orient you.

You must be smart.
A smart contrarian bandwagoner.

500 mg of benadryl and a bible my dude.

>gnosticism

Gnosticism is just mysticism , and mysticism is the base of ALL religions

The key here is that Jesus didn't came here to teach us a religion, neither his apostles.

Nag Hammadi is certainly interesting.
>"There is no God but me"
>You lie, Samael
the second line is nowhere to be found in modern scripture but the first is considered canon and YHWH's words instead of Samael's

What did they mean by this?

>I was wondering what you guys thought about these "non-canon" books of the New Testament in particular.
Boring as fuck rambling that isn't even Christian.

If you want a braindead religion join Islam or the Democratic Party instead.

>fedoras
There's not a single atheist post in the thread. You're living in your head.

Lots of people fell for the organized religion meme though. The sheep allegory is appropriate for most of them. A sheep knows nothing of the shepherds intentions.

I remember The Bible said to tell the difference between false enlightenment and true enlightenment is that the true spiritually fueled prophecies will always be correct but false teachings will be mostly correct but still have noticeable errors in their word.

What can I do with this information. Do you guys think it's reliable.

Religion is political newfag

One must eventually accept that one's subjective experience is all that we have for ascertaining any truth in the world. Benadryl brings one to a level beyond what most humans are capable of comprehending to be quite honest.

The book of Enoch is considered for some as "non canonical"

But the Bible has references of it, in other books.

The great problem with the "un-canonical" gospels is that we will find a hard time to confirm if they are real or fake, because the new testament canonicity is way more fragile than the old testament.

But Im pretty sure that at least one of these un canonical gospels are

>I just want to know the truth of the divine
go meditate. Even gnostic jesus would agree with my advice.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absurdism

>which apparently the Church desired to hide since the teachings didn't fit their narrative.
It was because these books were wrote much time after what the cultists claimed.

It was not because it didnt fit their narrative, it was because some cults wrote books and claimed it to be the word of some important person in past(Enoch's case)

So you're trying to say the truth is way too hard to know?

> how can we hope to know what is and isn't true.

Stick with philosophy, then you can start going to more mystical ways.

Greek philosphers spoke a lot about the divine

>Benadryl
How do we know that isn't just an illusion that fools us.

then everything is merely an illusion

I don't follow that logic.

So Jesus is Neo...or neo is Jesus?

Sorry, misread what you said.

Both respond roughly to the same "savior" archetype. It doesn't really matter.

>>Benadryl
Almost ruined my entire life with that shit

it doesn't open shit up, it just makess you hallucinate but you believe 100% that everything is real

last time I used it some creature in a world made of foam told me that all I had to do was trip on benedryl one more time and I would get to stay with him forever

Didn't want to be in foam land forever, so i stopped

>Didn't want to be in foam land forever, so i stopped
>TFW user missed his chance to reach ascension.

oh fug, 300 AD

bumping for interest.