Is (((Ironic Humor))) the Death Knell of Civilization?

i.e. I have ironic humor about the stuff you're unironic about and vice versa.

It's almost as if on a civilization wide level all of society became a self-harming, self-aggrandizing emo SJW that's like 'what's the point of living, anywaaays; hey look at this painted film."

I hate it.

Other urls found in this thread:

citypages.com/arts/tim-heidecker-on-why-donald-trump-isnt-funny-anymore-7576928
youtube.com/watch?v=5lXC-oY5zo0
youtube.com/watch?v=tNTjNkD7ifU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Irony isn't something you can control. You can't forcibly be ironic about something.

You can write dramatic irony into a plot or make it part of your story or comedy routine. Wut?

Sure. That way you are being God. You can do anything.

You aren't really answering my question though, lucky sevens.

That is situational irony. There is more than one kind.

This guy gets it.

Thank you DAVID FOSTER WALLACE. This dude was the most honest person I've read.

Don't you mean sarcasm?

It's ironic that OP claims to be ironic even though he isn't.

Irony is described as "situational irony" by Merriam-Webster. It's the same thing. There's irony, and there's what people have made of irony, a watered down version of what it really means.

A sword can be made of iron. Does that make it irony?

IT'S LIKE RAAAIIIIIIN ON YOUR WEDDING DAY

yeah, this is exactly what I was getting at. It's like half of people think this guy is serious, and half of people think this guy isn't. It's like with Tim Heidecker ''''making fun of /pol''''. Do I laugh, ha-ha? Or do I kill myself? This is the idea.

Or maybe tim makes fun of both sides by resting somewhere in the uncanny valley between taking it seriously and not taking it seriously. This is the feeling I get from watching South Park these days too.

The death knell of civilization is the loss of its religion. Regardless of what you think about religion, it gives people purpose. Metahumor and modern art are symptoms, but they're just manifestations of meaninglessness.

That's sarcasm idiot. God when did people start confusing those terms so badly.

When Chandler in Friends says something along the lines of "could this BE any funnier?"

That's not called irony or 'being ironic'. That's called being sarcastic. And he's using the sarcasm, or facetiousness to highlight the irony that it's actually not funny even though it supposedly should be.

It's ironic if you go to a comedy show and come out crying.

If you're telling someone how you loooooove immigrants with a sneering tone, you're being sarcastic.

It's ironic for you to have said that considering you're a well known racist.

But you weren't trying to be "ironic" you were trying to be sarcastic. It would be ironic if you were being serious, considering your racist past to suddenly support immigrants.

I agree ironic humor is cancer. It's only a matter of time untill 10 year olds are running around saying HAHA I'm behind 20 layers of irony!!1 I think at that point god god should come down and put a stop to this degeneracy, or maybe a nuclear war should break out.

It's so strange that I say this when I have been partaking in ironic humor for a few years now. But I have seen its dangers. Acts like MDE are cancer, and honestly need to be stopped, but I'm afraid it's already too late.

Being sincere>Being ironic

A diabetic, about to lose his life rushes to hospital only to get hit by a truck. Is not ironic. That's bad luck.
A diabetic, about to lose his life rushes to hospital only to get hit by an ambulance. That's ironic.

Perhaps if he got hit by a truck that's loaded with insuline... that's ironic.

its a cycle

seriousness is satirized to break tension
the liberating feeling of humor and satire is pleasurable and pursued so people become serious about their humor
until the humor is taken seriously
and then we have to get serious again.

ironic humor is ment for people who spend their lives in classrooms library's and arm chairs.

Those that are more swayed by ideology can find humor too confusing.

This man tried to be funny. Ironic.

I'm not confused by it--i just think it's boring. It's so fake and try-hard. I've noticed this too: with the friends I know who like that shit, the point is 'not to laugh.' It becomes a self-mockery of mockery. The infinite jewst.

sentimentalism is just some random movement DFW came up with once he realized he was going to achieve literary icon status. sentimentalism isnt even an accurate characterization of his work, novels or essays. most of his stuff was dripping with irony.

he had style but there's a lot about him that was entirely contrived. this sentimentalism literary movement is one of them.

>not being post ironic

Is this post satire?

Was DFW redpilled? I have watched a few of his parts of his interviews, and he seems to be a standard lefty. I also heard that in Infinite Jest America removes it's borders to Canada and Mexico... so yeah that's pretty blue pilled. Although I do agree with his position on irony going to far.

Sounds like you're describing "Catharsis". I have no idea what your refer to as "ironic humor" is. Irony is irony. It's humorous. But calling something ironic humor...

Sort of my point. Did you think I disagreed with you? What made you think that if you thought that? Curious.

Let me put it this way: He and Matt Groening were fans of one another's work.

No, it's jews and niggers. Fuck off lit, everyone else knows how to like things.

sounds like you're talking about people too insecure to take astance on anything and the mockery is about people who do?

stop pretending any of it is ironic in the first place. everyone who claims to like things ironically or use nigger speak BAKA DESU FAMMING is an inbred retard. there is 0 irony in it when it becomes the way you act 24/7.

That's just it--it's situational humor, as if the 'scene' (our life) were the subject of an audience. Maybe social media is contributing to the notion that life is a stage? I think a good example of this is that faggy show Scrubs where the characters break the 4th wall all the time.

>he didn't understand Infinite Jest

Please never come over to /lit/

His description years ago of the Simpsons now seems to apply to everything, especially comedy: "relentlessly corrosive to the soul"

Now I understand you. Yeah, I recognize this. It's (((they)))r kind of humor. The de-moralizing kind.

>Or maybe tim makes fun of both sides
No he fucking does not and I'm fucking tired of hearing this excuse. Every fucking time it's this or "muh 7 layers of irony". Neutrality is a meme and his potent butthurt is 100% real:
citypages.com/arts/tim-heidecker-on-why-donald-trump-isnt-funny-anymore-7576928
>I was talking to this guy on Twitter that maybe we should start a campaign of 'the joke is over.' It’s not funny anymore. We should just start ignoring this guy to starve him of the attention he is obviously doing this for. It’s running its course. From a guy that likes to watch politics it is fascinating, but he’s becoming less and less of a joke. It’s feeling more and more like the real thing and it’s not quite so funny anymore.
This guy unironically views Trump as a 21st century Hitler and every time you make fun of him for being rattled by Cred Forumstards and singing about being a cuck his fanboys go "lol you got trolled muh irony lmao"
Links related:
youtube.com/watch?v=5lXC-oY5zo0
youtube.com/watch?v=tNTjNkD7ifU

As in the audience would find what was happening humorous ::laughtrack::--but you could take it another step and say that it isn't really funny. It's sad, and now we understand this you can tell when ironic 50's sounding laughtracks are often placed over tragic scenes---making fun of the audience as it makes fun of the sit com.

>What made you think that if you thought that? Curious.
DFW talked about stripping irony out of his work but he didnt actually do it. im reacting more to the pairing DFW's pic with what you said than strictly what you said.

>I also heard that in Infinite Jest America removes it's borders to Canada and Mexico
i dont remember anything about the mexican border but he didnt get rid of the canadian border. the US forced canada to take a part of the US NW that was a toxic wasteland. so our border was changed and it pissed the canadians off.

which would itself be dramatically ironic if he did it unintentionally. It's not funny though. It's sad. His book was terrible.

I never read it, I'm just curious about Infinite Jest and DFW. I pretty much know nothing about infinite jest aside from tennis, the page flipping gimmick, and the globalism. I was actually contemplating reading it, but I'm not sure right now.

It's about 'muh consumerism.' (((Marx))) shit.

Tim is just fucking so high all the time. He probably doesn't know what the fuck he's serious about.

>he gets famous
>he gets it in his head that he needs to lead a literary movement
>he decides the movement will be sentimentalism
>shits on irony in interviews
>maybe there's an essay somewhere too
>he dies
>"sentimentalism" promptly dies with him because it was a "movement" entirely contrived by him.

essentially what I'm getting at is that it's just an endlessly recursive rabbit hole. It's fractal. What is funny about fractals? Absolutely Nothing--unless you're a madman...in which case everything's funny, and so it's moot.

>I was actually contemplating reading it, but I'm not sure right now.
it takes a really long time to read. IJ has its moments where it's a really fun read, which is more than i can say for most books, but a lot of the in-between is a long hard slog.

i read it a long time ago and i was really determined to get through it. if you're not motivated to finish it then you'll probably read 100 pages then put it away. i know so many people that have started it and when i ask them about it later they tell me they've quit. actually, im the only person i know that's finished it.

>It's fractal.
what's fractal?

I never read IJ by DWF. But I did read A brief history of cripplechan. It was a good book.

We're already post-civilization. We're aware of everything that defines us as a civilization, that social rules can be arbitrary, and powerful people use this knowledge to shape the world to their liking.

Life has no purpose. No one intelligent enough to seek meaning will conclude that any modern religion will provide that meaning because they're all so dogmatic and petty and scientifically unsound. Society is broken. Our lives are at the whim of a cabal of psychotic jewish billionaires acting on their immediate impulses with no thought for the future.

Humanity is faced with a collective existential crisis. What is our purpose in this universe? Where is god? Why do we exist in a world that seems a lot like hell sometimes?

Some of us have retreated into fundamentalism, thinking they can carry out ancient prophecies and force god to make an appearance. Some of us come here. Most just surround themselves with distractions so they never have to listen to themselves think, because everything is OK.

Everything and more. Good book

>Humanity is faced with a collective existential crisis.
That's called the human condition. It's always been there. Stop being such a drama queen.
>Our lives are at the whim of a cabal of psychotic jewish billionaires acting on their immediate impulses.
[citation needed]

>No one intelligent enough to seek meaning will conclude that any modern religion will provide that meaning because they're all so dogmatic and petty and scientifically unsound.
That's why you adopt a pagan religion and surround yourself with the myth and legend around it.

I knew it XD
Hi Styx!

It totally hasn't. Back when it was just assumed by everyone that x religion is true and there was no obvious evidence to the contrary, the vast majority of people would have no reason to question their existence.

Go to a church right now, all the true believers are the happiest, nicest people you'll meet. Religion still does the trick for them, so well that they rationalize anything that contradicts with their faith.

George Soros, Sheldon Adelson, the Koch brothers, the Rothschilds, et al.

Praise Kek!

But you see, we used to have these things to live for. To strive for. To be better for. We had the church and we had nation. Without that, "higher than yourself" purpose, what purpose is there to life?

We don't even have the fucking family anymore, man. We've been utterly atomized.

If you go on Facebook and see how stupid, literal sub 100iq sincere "humour" reposting John Oliver jokes about trump and minions inspirational quotes, irony is still preferable. No matter how bored of it you may be, a huge amount of people don't have the self awareness to be ironic. Be thankful you have that. Dfw was mentally ill and his brain killed him, so don't get to ironic tho.