Why do people prefer to buy a 200 square foot "tiny house" for $50,000 instead of a 700 square foot trailer for $10,000?

Why do people prefer to buy a 200 square foot "tiny house" for $50,000 instead of a 700 square foot trailer for $10,000?

Other urls found in this thread:

zillow.com/homedetails/2109-Major-Ave-Knoxville-TN-37921/41653479_zpid/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiny_house_movement
hgtv.com/shows/tiny-house-big-living
zillow.com/homedetails/4107-Geyland-Heights-Rd-Knoxville-TN-37920/41680192_zpid/
realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/7147-S-Sangamon-St_Chicago_IL_60621_M78822-76117
zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Athens-GA/fsba,fsbo_lt/land_type/23534_rid/pricea_sort/34.181418,-82.991066,33.662353,-83.72921_rect/10_zm/0_mmm/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because yuppies are stupid and don't understand how money works

Because of the stigma of being trailer park trash

Not all economic decisions are rational because people are t rational

That's why economics should t be considered a "science"

Because then you will live in a trailer park with trailer trash. You are the trailer trash.

This. The inside of the average double-wide is actually quite nice. But anything associated with trailers is considered trashy. So it's basically a status thing. It's why you have idiots spending $6,000 a month (or more) just to live in some shitty apartment in a cosmopolitan city.

>Mfw I live in a trailer and it's the most redpilled way of living if you aren't rich.

if you're spending $50,000 on a 700 sqft tiny house you're getting ripped off.

best way to build them is to buy a large shed kit from home depot/lowes, build it then finish the interior yourself. total cost is probably $25-30k depending on how spartan you want to be.

They don't want to change out their house every time there is a tornado.

You could save time of money but purchasing a double wide instead of building a tiny house and then put the double wide on the land you bought with all the money you saved by buying a double wide.

>200 square foot "tiny house"
a what?

1. Because you'll be living in a trailer park
2. Because there is no decent internet there
3. You'll be living. In a. Trailer. Park.

Also, can you buy houses for 50k in America? That's insane. So cheap.

While I was growing up my family bought a 3 bedroom 2 bath trailer and put it on foundation on 3.5acres for less than 100k. It basically looked like a 1 story house after we finished putting in some additions on the front/back (enclosed porch/sunroom).

You don't necessarily live in a trailer park.

The real red pilled life.

If you can afford the land to put it on thats in the country, then you can afford the house to put on it.

>200 square foot "tiny house"
Post a pic of a house that small because I don't believe you.

Meh, I've been trailer trash. Depends entirely on the park you're in. I've been in 90%+ parks in Nebraska and Kansas. At least 30% of both parks were college students, the rest working class fumbling between being poor and just edging into lowest middle class rungs.

Park management were both pretty good at enforcing cleanliness rules, and the residents mostly didn't put up shit from the true trash.

Inexpensive way to live, if you find the right places.

>1. Because you'll be living in a trailer park
Not buying little lots of land all the fuck over the place and putting a trailer on each of them.

My uncle did this. I got a bugout location perfect for any possible kind of potential apocalypse.

Trailers do need to be replaced every few decades though, they start falling apart pretty hilariously bad. But they are cheap, thats the point.

>90%+ parks
90+% white parks

>Why do people prefer

Literally just due to the social stigma attached to owning a trailer (or using one as your home at least). That's it.

Because of the stigma "trailer trash"
It's typically true though. 90% of the people I know who live in trailers are literal filth.

Trailer parks are some of the easiest places to cold cop drugs at.

You really have no concept of land prices, do you?

How much land comes with each, and where is it? Property values are usually dictated by those, a lot more than by what's sitting on the lot.

Because trailers are built to last exactly 10 years then fall apart
t. Guy who lives in one

no land would come with either for the prices being discussed

You dont have to live in a trailer park

>2 beds 1 bath 728 sqft
>$39,900

zillow.com/homedetails/2109-Major-Ave-Knoxville-TN-37921/41653479_zpid/

reminds me of the type of houses many swedes live in

I guess you lose a lot of heat in the winter to the surrounding, otherwise it looks nice

Fuck off Randy

I was under the impression that burger land is cheap af and plentiful?

Trailers need to be replaced every few decades though. If you build a house yourself properly, it will last for generations. Trailers are a good way to get started tbqh.

the one my parents live in is from 1992.
holding up pretty well other than they had to gut and change out the master bathroom a couple years ago when the bathtub nearly collapsed with my mom in it

Sunnyvale Trailer Park?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiny_house_movement

hgtv.com/shows/tiny-house-big-living

I don't want my house to get robbed literally

Land is depending on the state you live in, also location location location.

The trailer park in my town is a haven to drug users and a nice place to watch drug busts. They stopped a mobile methlab in the area before. Fucker ran out into the tall grass and started tossing every bag he had on his body around.

I love Arkansas.

Would live in that.

Yes. But it will be either a tiny nice house on a tiny property or a big house in niggerville, USA (Waco texas)

A tiny house would not withstand a tornado any better than a shed or trailer

would it be worth it to buy an RV?

I think you guys either don't entirely know what "tiny houses" are or you're really overestimating the lifespan and durability of these things compared to trailers

pretty much
if anything they're more top heavy and will blow over more easily

it's just entirely a stigma thing

If you don't want to live near a major city or if the economy is shit in that town you can get them under 50k easy in the south

I love how the dumbshits on the tiny house shows justify their reasoning with either "we just want to be closer as a family" or "we just want to focus on the more important things in life". They refuse to just admit that they're either broke as fuck or drowning in their current mortgage.

This whole tiny house phenomenon is entirely constructed to get Americans more comfortable with living shittier lives in the future.

Yes, in certain areas. It is pretty easy to find 1,000-1,200 sf, 3 bed, 1 bath homes built in the '30s to '40s for around $50,000. You won't be in LA, NYC, or San Francisco though. If you don’t mind living in the rust belt you can easily find something for $50,000.

Nah they are kind of expensive for what they are and are made of cheap material

That's pretty crazy to be honest. I bought a 433 sqft apartment without any land for 105k EUR and that was a GREAT deal. How is property so cheap AND so expensive depending on where you life in America?

Cost of money.

I feel sorry for the guy who has to rake all those leaves.

That's a nice way to live if you don't have family and like to travel. Also nice if you want to stay off the grid for some reason.

Because the people that want that kind of housing do not want to be called trailer trash.

Access to goods and services is why. If you can live with fewer of those, you get cheap property. It's a big ass country.

urbanization sucks most of the land dry

Outside of major cities there's land as far as the eye can see. Granted many people own many acres to themselves

>Rake

No, thats the moron way to handle leaves. You mulch them up with your lawn mower than let the winter snows and rain grind them in to the dirt.

I'm not too attached to my family, and they don't really like me much either. Been wanting to just travel and see the world, without really settling anywhere in specific.

Oh lord

>trailer home

Nope. Not living in a white trash community, literally niggers.

What's even better are the yuppie hole sniffers paying tons of money building their houses out of actual tractor trailer containers still think its trashy to buy a regular trailer park style home

1. Those "tiny houses" are often on wheels to begin with, so technically they *are* trailers. Why? Because you'll find that building codes and regulations forbid building tiny houses to begin with. Regulations for trailers not so burdensome. It really is just marketing going on here - call a trailer something else and you can charge more for it.

2. Trailers generally start at $30k, not $10k. A $10k trailer is going to be used and when I say used, I mean USED.

3. Mobile homes have improved quite a bit from the old days, they aren't tin cans that cook you in the summer and freeze you in the winter, but they aren't real houses. A lot of the parts you'll find are only specific to mobile homes. Many tradesmen don't really want to fool with them, so get used to working on them yourself. Keeping them level is a real challenge.

>Not living in a cottage on your own land
You don't even have to be rich, just willing to look for a while

Actually a lot of these technically *are* trailers but still 1/4th the size for 5x the price

>buying a house
How about I spend 300 dollars on material and build a 400 sq ft earthship house. Or just build a half Aframe or something. Millions of people live in trailers I don't know wtf you are talking about

yeah it's weird

at one point in my life I spent $1000 a month to live in a tiny ass studio apartment in seattle and I've spent $380 a month on a mortgage for a comfy house in the southeast US

copper pipes and wiring not included

Hello Dixie brethren.Chattfag here

I wouldn't know since here most trees don't drop all their leaves in autumn and we don't get snow in winter.

Don't be retarded user. I grew up in a double wide and had great internet. It's the same shit you get in a regular house you raging nigger. They don't have a special trailer park edition internet package that sucks. Also, I bought a house for 60k just this year. Great deal actually.

Because we have so much land
zillow.com/homedetails/4107-Geyland-Heights-Rd-Knoxville-TN-37920/41680192_zpid/

That's a trailer.

And if you're renting a lot, you're no better than someone renting an apartment. In fact, it's the worst of both worlds - you're on the hook for all maintenance to your trailer AND you have to keep paying that monthly nut to some asshole or you'll get evicted.

that's a trailer

Yet apparently it's not a """"""trailer"""""""

This. A mobile home or rv is great to drop on your land while you build your actual home. Sell the mobile when the build is done to recoup some cash. It's the best poorfag way into home ownership.

>built in 1940

Jesus Christ what a fucking nightmare. Nope.

Why would you need more space than you use? Why would you want to live in an ugly home? Yes for poorfags the trailer is obviously better but for people that aren't hoarders and enjoy claustrophobic living why wouldn't you go for a tiny house?

Yeah depends on the area. For example, here's a shitshack in Chicago for $3000.

realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/7147-S-Sangamon-St_Chicago_IL_60621_M78822-76117

However, in the United States you can find lots for $10-30K easily in comfy areas and build your own house.

Because of the kind of neighbors you'll have and access to opportunities.

>americans weening themselves off the mortgage scam is a bad thing
never be deleted, Cred Forums

That's also a trailer

depends on what code it built to.

Lived in a 180 square foot cabin for about 8 months for a job. It was built to more then code and had hurricane clips. So it was fine to be in bad weather. Mobile homes are built to HUD code, which by default is not okay for bad weather.

but what do you do for money in the rust belt? there's a reason why those houses are so cheap

Ive seen some tiny houses that look ok, but most look way too small. Tbh in the states it's much more cost effective to just buy a small house and renovate it. I dont know the resale value of tiny houses but it cant be much. Even if they only cost $50k that's $50k you wont make back.

you have to pay pad rent if you own a trailer.

if you have a tiny house, your yuppie friends will let you park it in their driveway because it's cute

Im good. Houses in my city go for 30G or less in the shittier part of town. Ill buy guns and bunker down in a 1k sq ft house and have it paid off in ten years and if I want to move ill move. Fucking hipsters man

>why wouldn't you go for a tiny house?

because it's literally a smaller trailer with better finishes inside
I'd rather have the extra space to be honest

For the land the house sits on.

Cheap land often has no access to utilities such as water, electric, phone, or internet. Cheap land is often severely polluted/contaminated, and thus unfarmable or unhealthy. Cheap land is often located just outside indian reservations (disputed territory). Cheap land is often in areas with minimal employment opportunities (detroit etc). Cheap land is often in areas with horrible climates.

When land is cheap in the US, it's because it's undesirable. The land is cheap because nobody wants it, not even the property owner.

They're like fancy huts, but with wheels. I wouldn't live in one, but I might camp out in one if I had it. Kind of makes me want to build one.

It's really about how close you are to a city with jobs and stores and things.
California is expensive as hell, but Colorado or Georgia might be cheap. Though Colorado might start going up in price soon with "farmers" and whatnot buying up the land.

Like I said, if you don't need the space what's the point

yeah that sounds ridicolous

at some point they should just accept they have to rent a mediocre apartment and be done with it

For the price of one of those cucksheds id rather buy land

Jesus Christ, which County are you in? Sounds like Jefferson TBQH.

Well I'll tell you why, kind sir.
> T. Okie
> Tornado alley
> Big storm
> Ohshit.jpeg
> Twister
> Trailer gone (with you in it)

They genuinely are unsafe here.

That doggo is looking pretty fucking smug

We're having some kind of failure to communicate here

Wait, is that house for sale at $3000 or is that the monthly mortgage? Either way: What the fuck?

I have never seen such poverty before.

>square foot

and for the enlightened people among us who don't use this archaic outdated system of measurement?

>living in the north
Man I feel sorry for you Yankees

Fuck that noise. It would be a contest to see who would try to kill each other first, my wife or myself if we were forced into a glorified walk-in closet on wheels as our home.

>2500 sf
>Northern Jew Jersey
>$410,000
>Full finished and furnished basement

Fuck tiny houses and the poor hipster faggots that live in them. They don't even pay for the property their little shit hovel sits on, they just park it on their parents' lawn.

No but it's not far off, My niegbor makes swish and there is a couple guys who live here that are in and out of jail.
I'm not worried, They all have a golden rule of don't steal from the park.

Because those people are stupid. The materials for a 200 square foot house are literally $5000.

A sucker is born every minute. And usually theyre democrats

you don't need the fancier finishes what's the point?

If that is really how cheap a trailer is, then i do not understand why people are not saving for retirement in a trailer home? Is it just the stigma? Seems very effective way to cut housing costs while saving for The Dream plot of land. How much could HOA fees for a trailer park be? What do apartments in the city cost, for comparison?

Sorry we cant measure in dingos like you straya

OH, and forgot to mention, cheap land within reasonable distance of major cities is usually loaded with niggers & degenerates.

you don't need to know imperial to know that 700 is almost four times bigger than 200. C'mon guy.

Currently living in a house built in 1921. Floor Joists are 12x12

I know of Property a hour from me.

3,000 a acre
access to Utilities (water, sewer, power, and DSL speed internet)
20 minute drive to a town with decent job chances.
Local schools are shit, but that why you homeschool. And most 4channers are not having kids anyways.

Makes you feel like you're in less of a shithole than you're actually in, and the exteriors of some of these are admittedly pleasing.

Those could all destroy your house aswell I don't see your point.

>Actually buying a house in the Chicago suburbs for any reason at all
This is like telling someone to buy a house in Detroit since it's so cheap. Do you want to just not own any valuables and have people peddle drugs while having shootouts every couple weeks? Because that's what you're going to get.

Except for the boomers, they're smart enough to know that they're the perfect vacation homes.

Thank you noble savage

All the jews come out during these posts bc they are mad that the goy will stop pay mortgages

18 square liters versus 65 square celsius

It's in one of the "outer circles of hell" neighborhoods of the US, like the $1 houses they sell in Detroit that no one will buy anyway because if they renovate it the pipes and wiring will be stolen the next night and if they move in they'll be murdered

Apartments can often cost you the same as owning a normal house without utility bills usually

Theres land all over america for less than $2k per acre

Because after living 12 years of my life in a trailer and then living 10 years in a normal home, and now in a custom built tiny home, I can tell you right fucking now a trailer is garbage and tiny homes are amazing. Trailers are low quality factory garbage and I refuse to set foot into one any more.

The electoral in 1960s is annoying as fuck. I can't imagine the one outlet per room in a pre war house.

Plumbing must also be a nightmare. How's the shit toilet paper treating your ass?

It can be. Expect to pay at least $15,000 for a lot that is hook up ready (can easily tap into water, sewer, gas, and electric lines). The price goes up the more desirable the neighborhood.

You can find land cheap of course, but you will likely need to drill your own well, install your on septic tank, and make your own fuel arrangements (typically large propane tanks).

Personally its about mobility and comfort.
>bought first house for 2k (tin can actually) 14x80
>building my tinyhouse for 10k

I want to hold that anime girl's hands.

Depending on where it is in the South it could also be right smack in the middle of the nigger section of town. You do not want to live next to niggers.

There's a reason whites moved away from them back in the 70s, there's a reason they move away from them now.

Any idiot could reframe a trailer with studs and remodel the interior, hand drywall. An experienced and technically competent homeowner could maintain a trailer until the steel frame underneath rusts out, maybe decades. I'd paint the underframe and seal it, by hand, if i had too. I think people should invest in things they can afford to maintain.

Because trailers aren't chic enough

It's for sale for $3000, but keep in mind it's in the Chicago suburbs which are a horrendous place to live. We're talking drug dealers, gang members, shootings, and robbings being an extreme commonplace here. There's a reason it's cheap, make no mistake, I doubt the fire they mention was an accident either, and you have to renovate most of it anyway.

But houses here are pretty decent, unless you live in Florida, Washington, or California you can get a house for about $50-100k no problem, if you look at places like Indiana, Ohio, or Wisconsin as an example you'll easily find houses even cheaper than that in really good neighborhoods..

No I'm having a bit of fun. The answer is clever marketing. The same way I can convince a hipster to buy a $10 craft beer that tastes like a $2 mass produced beer.

>I think people should invest in things they can afford to maintain.

BAD GOY

Retard

Because you can't get a loan for mobile homes for some odd reason

You have to have a lot of money down.

Then you have septic to worry about, wells, etc.

there are actually a number of reasons beyond baseless stigma.

a lot of places prohibit trailers outside of designated trailer park areas, which are usually legitimately trashy, tightly packed mud lots occupied predominately by the lifelong poor.

they don't last as long as an actual structure, generally having a working lifetime of less than ten years.

it's only very rarely that you can actually buy the land, in a trailer park situation.

they tend to be jokes in terms of insulation and HVAC.

they can be genuinely cramped inside (less so for double-wides).

I've seen some really nice trailer parks where some of the people are redneck but they're not dirty and they got money.

it's not all white trash.

I would say 3,000 a acre land is cheap - I know there even cheaper.

We have two outlets in most rooms. There is only one annoying ass thing is that the toaster and microwave being used at the same time will pop the breaker.

Plumbing is fine. I have all those nice 3 gallon flush toilets.

Sell drugs, of course. All the real jobs have left for China.

For comparison

Yeah was going to say, sounds awful. Here in the south, for the most part (aka not swamps), land is just sold because they don't need it or they need some extra money. It is almost never undesirable. At most you'll just need to do some irrigation because its always fucking raining down here and your lawn will wash away/turn to mud eventually if you just leave it as is.

MY buddy bought an Airstream camper, hitched it to his minivan, and lived in the Mountains in Oregon for a couple years. Looked comfy as fuck and he had friends somewhat close where he could use real showers and do laundry.

>And most 4channers are not having kids anyways.

Traps are not gay. TRAPS ARE NOT GAY.

Rate my house

>they can be genuinely cramped inside
Not a fair statement to make when I'm comparing directly to this

>Because you can't get a loan for mobile homes for some odd reason

where are you getting that from?
maybe with crappy credit that's true

I think I'd go mad living in a place like that

You stupid nigger, why would the internet be any different in a trailer than in a home you stupid dutch cunt fuck?

Except for the Tornados which fuck America up all the time.
Stone brick house ftw

This is mine. 2.5 acres $120 in lot rent 1100 sqft 35k.
Yeah it's literally a muh social status thing.

Trailers are only shitty if they're super old or you live on shitty land. Some of my friends live in trailers or RV's, and the ones who just have a fenced off corner of someone elses property have it good. The ones in parks, not so much.

Tiny houses are really just popular/stylish alternatives to living in RV's. It's mostly a younger crowd going for tiny homes and simpler/nomadic lifestyles. Basically this but on undeveloped land, abandoned parking lots, or close to nature.

Most old people here live in senior 55+ trailer parks or homes they've owned for over 30 years. Those trailer parks are always in very good shape.

Actually I live on the coast in CA. I live on expensive land in a very nice house I've inheritted.

Construction is another.

Trailers are put together with a lot of prefab and adhesive. When they burn, they go up pretty quick.

Also, they aren't easily modifiable.

how jewy are utilities there? pic related is a breakdown of the electric bill here: only blue part is actual consumption, everything else are taxes, levies and state ponzi schemes for renewables
can you dig your own well no questions asked? you can't here, also septic tanks are allowed only if there's no public sewage infrastructure available

my dream house is about 150m^2 in the wilderness next to at least 10 cubic meter per second water stream for hydropower and fresh water needs, heating from firewood and excess electricity using a heat pump

>Living in tornado alley

It's like Germans being retarded is more than just a meme.

seeing "houses" like that makes me so glad i'm not a poor faggot that lives in a bible belt-tier landlocked shithole

well a lot of them wouldn't have cable access unless you're in a trailer park

you can still get stuff like att uverse which comes thru the phoneline tho

zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Athens-GA/fsba,fsbo_lt/land_type/23534_rid/pricea_sort/34.181418,-82.991066,33.662353,-83.72921_rect/10_zm/0_mmm/

for example: Athens, GA is a college town (UGA) for non-muricans. All land around here basically looks like that, bunch of trees, maybe a pond or a creek or both, put your house on it and do what you want.

Maybe once you graduate from 6th grade you'll know. How are your parents' TV and window tax payments coming along, britcuck?

Is that to discourage the manufacture of methamphetamine?

Tiny home owner here, but its not a trailer, its a 400 sq ft block home inna woods in arizona. Fuck paying a huge ass mortgage to the jews.

7/10 would fuck

California is the same thing as the north, expensive as fuck.

Shit will start breaking, and you're going to find that hiring someone to work on your trailer is like pulling teeth.

So at some point you will stop being a fat lazy turd if for no other reason than you're the only one around that's willing to work on it.

That pic is dumb as fuck

I'm pretty sure Islam encourages fat angry retards like Christie to give as many opinions as possible

Girls, weather, google %, activities, work options and crime/schools

Thinking a brick house survives a tornado....

Digging your own well depends on the county/city. It still costs a pretty penny (5-10k) and the water could be contaminated from niggers dumping shit directly on the ground.

Like other posters have said, location is key.

I live in Southern California, and every year friends of mine move out of state to live more in a more affordable place. The most common gripe I hear from them after a year or two is "There's nothing to do out here but drink," "I have to run my air conditioner half the year and my heater the other half," "I can't sit outside most times without getting eaten alive by bugs," "It's too humid here," "It's too dry here," "There's no good Mexican food,"... A common theme too seems to be the inability to return here once they.

It sounds like I'm just friends with a bunch of whiny cunts, but what I'm getting at is good weather 90% of the year makes this place fucking expensive to live. A lot of factors go into the "sunshine tax."

The idea is you only sleep in it, you don't stay in there all day playing WoW, you leave it to enjoy the great outdoors.

Which could be a little tricky in January if you live in a place like N Dakota...

They sound like fuckin' soft cunts

looks cosy as fuck

If it's not on a foundation and it has/had wheels on it at some point - it's a fucking trailer.

>call a trailer something else and you can charge more for it.

Hence double-wides being called "prefabricated homes" by manufacturers about 10 years ago.

>trumplets in charge of having a sense of humor

Sad!

So where am I suppose to clean and prep anything I catch? Can I have a BBQ? What about a place to keep all my tools for when I want to work on my car? Or my workbench for when I want to make a birdhouse?

>"There's nothing to do out here but drink,"
I never get what these people want to do instead. I suspect they just want to drink in hipper surroundings so that they can lie to themselves about how worthwhile their lives are.

In GA, at least in the past, if you put your doublewide/trailer on a permanent foundation you can hook it up to city utilities.

Most actual trailer homes are made cheaply. They often feature 2x3 studs, and plastic/vinyl wall surfaces, etc. They are cheap and easy to build, and cheap/easy to move. As mentioned elsewhere, they are not designed to last indefinitely.

People who build tiny houses want the experience of building something themselves, for themselves. Depending on how you build it, you can get something much better made than a trailer.

There is a lot of hipster cancer in the tiny house crowd, but honestly, they are actually building something, which is nice.

Also, it's not just a fad that they throw away. After they get married to a 35 year old roastie, they move the tiny house into the back corner of their suburban lot and it becomes their cuck shed.

This.

If you have appropriate winter attire, outside inna -17°F in 3' of snow is not only doable, but damn fun. Winter camping is amazing.

>>Tiny homes are overpriced for their material costs

But, it is good to see my fellow muricans get out of the McMansion mindset.

Not a one of you has brought up the supremely happy middle ground called the shipping container house.

>> 1-3k a container

>> clean them and sand blast em, stack em like legos and weld the seams

>> seal em up and hang 2 inch studs for insulation and wiring and rock over.

>want to buy a house-house
>have stockpile of like 90k for whatever downpayment I'd need
>have no idea if should just do it or wait to see if the bubble pops

Most places have access to utilities unless you're out in bumfuck, I'd still want a well

i dig the concept but the ceilings are so fuckin low

That's some mighty fine decking. I'd personally stain it a bit darker but different strokes I guess.

Nice tree, looks comfy. What color are your neighbors?

I'm 100% with you, user. Currently saving up to get started on buying some land and a double wide. Later I'll add solar panels to cut back on electricity. Pimping out a trailer/modular is my dream atm

the bubble will pop but how much the $$ will readjust depends on where you live.

i just bought a place at the beginning of june, but i live just outside boston, where prices only really ever flat line or dip slightly.

Wait for it to pop, housing has gone up a lot recently

It might be good in colder places. But metal shipping container in 'strayan summer?

I don't like the sound of that.

FUCK YOU DUTCH NIGGER FUCK

Can't time the market homie. Depends entirely on location. I've got 20k in the PNW with one of the best jobs in my state and I'm pissing in the wind unless I wanna go a little innawoods.

Shit in my hometown (Which is fucking cow country 40 minutes from Seattle) is going for 400-700k.

If you can work from home, I'd look into Idaho, Montana.

I dated a girl for a while whos dad owned the trailer park in a rural town

On one hand, he was like the kingpin of town. Go him, right?

OTOH, his daughter ended up doing drugs with and fucking a lot of the guys in the trailer park. He should have kept a better eye on that situation..

I think trailer park living probably has some advantages if you are a single guy with loose morals, and you don't care about people stealing your stuff.

>200 square foot
>700 square foot

Well, there's the rub, innit? You could rent someone else's garage. If you have enough land you could build yourself a tiny garage to go with your tiny house.

Or you can do it ghetto style and work on your car/whatever right out on - what's that ozzie phrase you love so much? The side of the road? Do it on the side of the road, mate. Harbor Freight will sell you a tent you can pitch to put your car under to work on. Not sure what the equivalent of HF is in Oz.

That's probably the house worth which is not surprising considering the house has probably been abandoned for years and the amount of work that will have to be put in it. The problem with houses such as this is that whoever owns it ,whether it be a bank or individual, has neglected it for years. Without preventative maintenance, proper winterizing, and immediate response to issues (pipe burst, sewage back up, etc) a house can go from a home to a condemned ramshackle in no time. Squatters and copper scrappers also cause a great deal of damage. The 3k isn't so much for the abandoned house in the sea of abandoned houses but for the land I imagine.

Couple things I can think of:

1) Cell phone reception will likely be shit, even having just a metal roof can absolutely destroy your reception.

2) What happens if lightning strikes your shipping container? I've had lightning strike the chainlink fence outside my house and then somehow jump to my phone line and in turn destroy my modem two times in the past 5 years. I could only imagine if my whole house was metal.

>no sidewalk
>shitty tarmac driveway
>weeds growing in gutter
>keeps recycle bin next to front door
>no garage
>windowbox AC on 2nd story
>freestanding canopy due to tiny of porch
>metal roof like a converted barn

DESU, it's actually pretty reasonable, 7.5/10. looks kind of small and old, but looks like a decent neighborhood, yard is good for what it is.

No bugs strayan.

Whatever creepy crawlies you got ain't eating through a quarter inch of steel.

>Winter camping is amazing.

Not everyone shares your sentiment of being outdoors during the winter...

>Whatever creepy crawlies you got ain't eating through a quarter inch of steel.

They'll adapt. Hell most spiders here have already adapted to domestic bug sprays.

I wanna refer you back to It's in Englewood, which is blacker than South Africa and apparently has a murder rate of about 130 (compare to this list)

Is every Jefferson County trash? I'm from the one in MO and it held the "Meth Capitol USA" title for many years.

>What happens if lightning strikes your shipping container?

You know that most buildings in rural America have metal roofs, and metal siding, right?

It's fine.

Also, look on ebay for things like "cell phone booster" or "cell phone repeater".

Those are made for us rural people that live in old houses with metal siding and metal roofs.

that looks comfy as fuck tbqh

Ground it, just like any other home.

I lived in a double wide (not in a park) in northeast Knoxville up until I was ten, it was extremely fun and no niggers in my general area.

i live in a building built pre 1900, i think 1882 maybe. every room has at least 3 grounded outlets. never had a problem with plumbing. i'm also not poor tho.

Your house was obviously modernized.

I've always just wanted to buy a piece of land so that I know I have somewhere that I can go if I ever wanted to become a hermit. I don't see how the price of land could ever go down, I mean it's not like there will ever be anymore than there already is. Only problem is that I don't know shit about how property taxes work and shit's expensive here.

Notice how thick the walls are near the windows

great place to live if you can bulletproof your walls and never leave your home

Different strokes for different folks. If I lived in SoCal I would end up running the AC for the vast majority of the year, and refuse to go outside during "summer"

The population is aging so there tends to be jobs available in the medical field. Many manufacturers shipped production overseas, but the STEM R&D jobs are still here. Also various technical jobs still exist. Experienced tool and die workers can find jobs that pay $40k (which isn't terrible when your house costs $50,000).

I live in the rural south, I've honestly never seen more than cheap painted aluminum sheet siding/roofing, both of which are only on houses made before the 90s and after the 60s. The "official" AT&T/Verizon solution for reception requires a internet connection, I've looked this up before as my grandma has a metal roof. The point about your whole house being metal is that a ground does not dissipate the entire current. Just because its there doesn't mean you're safe. My phone line has a grounding rod, which has been inspected twice to verify its properly installed, and it still allowed lightning inside my house. One of the occurrences was actually pretty frightening because it jumped out of the modem to a nearby lamp.

>three Little Tikes cars
Your wife fucks too much, leaf.

I remember January living in SoCal - I slept with no bedsheets and the window open at night. Fuckin' crazy

Appropriate winter attire would fill the closet in a tiny home with a single set of clothes.

Every part of this Wikipedia article is 100% gold

I payed more for my 8 acre lot than I did to build my house on it.

I built my house myself so that helped.

Typically these homes are in terrible condition in niggerville. Also, these usually have a lot of owed back taxes that the purchaser is responsible for. It is why there are $500 homes in Detroit.

you can really get this for $10,000?

Because some people prefer to pretend they are not white trash

If you're incapable of figuring out how to store something as easy to compact as clothing, you're probably unfit for home ownership.

>rapper, rapper, basketball player, rapper, serial killer

Feet aren't square. Next question.

>TFW looking for a house in athens
Coming from the poor-ass south, this place is amazing. I didn't think shopping malls and trees could exist in the same place!

>75 degrees all year every year
>tons of well paying jobs
>best beaches in the country (mainland)
>cops that actually do their job (my county)
>some blacks around, but no niggers destroying shit (my county)
>generally low crime rates (my county)
Idk much about the north,
but what are you paying so much for up there?
understand the SoCal lifestyle.

>hipster cancer is building something
I still can't stand them

I love these, but I have to consider what said

If they're white than good for them, combatting negative population growth from a position of respectability and economic stability

Its on a foundation with a tiny walk out basement. Its a house, not a trailer.

I know a few dudes that build tiny houses though, they are built way fucking better than moble homes.

You can get it for even cheaper if it's in a shitty trailer park.

Stigma

The catch here is that you only own the trailer and not the land and they'd expect you to pay $200 to $300 a month to rent the lot

But on the other hand you own the trailer outright so you can hook it to a truck and haul it off wherever you want

depends on your credit.

trailers are considered chattle property, like an automobile.

I just sold a 2001 double wide for $23,000. I am financing at 10% APR over 5 years.

It really varies depending on the zoning body. Though in a lot of rural areas, there is no formal zoning body and you can pretty much do whatever you want.

You can build your own tiny house for 5k.

It isn't very hard. You would have to pay for the plumbing and electrical work regardless, which would be another 10k (assuming you will need land perked and septic tank) if not then 6k should do it.

So, you can build your own tiny house for 11k. Not a bad deal, but never buy one from the online jews. I've looked at their prices and that shit is a joke.

European Education everyone.

A tornado will sling your brick house through the next several neighbors' houses.

I'd love to buy a ton of land and a shitty, cheap house in it.

Then build my own log cabin myself.

Considering Alaska or Utah, but I hate bears and dont want to die from Yellowstone

I've lived in this area my whole life, I used to hate it but I've grown to realize its honestly pretty nice. I miss some of the old "smalltown" stuff the region used to have that was recently bought out and turned into chain garbage which ruined the appeal for everyone who lived around here. There used to be a place called "The Store" on Hwy 78, used to have a bunch of old retired guys that would stand outside it and socialize for the entire day then go home. Haven't seen them since.

If you're not moving to Athens, GA for college/work specifically, I would also recommend Loganville or Between (on the Loganville side). Monroe is ok on the outskirts but there's nothing really in the town itself and its more of a rural ghetto than anything. They're not too far from Athens (about 20-30m) and also pretty close to Lawrenceville, so you have a lot of options.

It's weird, in San Diego there are hundreds of these less than a mile from the beach and they're worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and not looked down upon.

Location, location, location.

A Yellowstone eruption is only "likely" in the sense that it's likely to happen in the next 10,000 to 20,000 years out of it's 650,000 year cycle

And when it happens it's going to fuck the entire earth up anyway.

>not living in a trailer park

It's difficult to find a place that will actually let you use those for housing.

Zoning laws and all that make it nearly impossible in most places.

Also, I would spray the inside with a couple thousand dollars or more of rhino liner if I bought one and could find a place to put it. Electrical shock is serious.

Also, you are gonna have to anchor it onto a concrete slab. It isn't on wheels, so you would legally have to do this to stay in it.

>Mentions SD
>trailers & trailer parks by beach are acceptable here!
>Oceanside? never heard of it

I wish I can have one here, but never seen one before.
>driving from SEA to East Asia, going into Russia, through Europe (and the UK), maybe somewhere around Africa, pass through Israel and Mena, into South Asia and back at Malaysia.

I lied. According to google, its 40m~ from Loganville->Athens. I always judge the distance by school districts, I don't know why. Still, Loganville is also a really good area imo.

When I lived with my dad from 14 til 20, I put a trailer on the property and I loved living in it. It was nice at that age to have my own space where I could do what I want and drink and smoke and fuck. I miss it. I live in the shitty city now and it's depressing as fuck. I hate it. I don't need a mansion. In fact, I'd rather live in op's pic than in a mansion. Less up work and it's way more cozier.

Literally a cuck shed.

Manufactured homes can be quite nice, if you put them on a foundation/basement and own the lot.

some trailers are pretty nice

Yeah, it's the same in Carlsbad and Oceanside. Trailers near the beach are acceptable and cost a lot.

I'm in the process of buying a house on a 260,000 sqft. property. All I want is to have some piece and fresh vegetables.

Its not the cost of materials.
The price of a house is 90% the land price

Pics of your shack or it didn't happen

Never understood the tiny house bullshit. If you want a tiny house get an apartment, or if you want a small mobile house get an RV,

>The price of a house is 90% the land price

>sees flag

In Singapore, that's probably true.

In most of USA, it's not true at all.

In USA, land is abundant. You pay more to live in a high density area, but in most of USA the cost of a house is much larger than the cost of the land it is built on.

I moved in a trailer once.. 5 years later I own over half of the park

Perfect home for all the manlets in this thread

You obviously don't live in California

Obviously yes for Carlsbad because it's actually nice, but Oceanside? Come on. Living in a trailer in Oceanside is basically like living in a trailer in Vista or Escondido. I highly doubt that anyone living in a trailer in Oceanside actually owns the trailer or the land its on. Oceanside is a crusty scumhole of bums, hippies, niggers, drunks, junkies, whore houses, and rampant degeneracy. It's literally where poor tourists go because they cant afford to stay in Carlsbad or further south or they just don't know any better.

I watch a few of the Tiny House shows. A lot of the people moving into them are dumb as shit. They spend crazy amounts of money and have no place to put the fucking houses when it's done. Not to mention half of them half 3+ kids and multiple animals.

Because you will be trailer trash

>T. 330k 30 yr mortgage

Yeah. The zoning and regulation laws are absolute shit.

Housing prices in any place worth living in are going to sky rocket until you let people actually build shit other than stickbuilt with mandatory minimum sizes.

>cuckshed on wheels

I can buy a two room 500 sqfeet apartment in Russia for 20-25k.

As a landowner with a 2200 sq. ft log home, heres my perspective.

Ive considered a 'tiny house' for multiple purposes. Ive considered one on my land as either a guest house, possible rental, or a place to stay when I knock my log cabin down for rebuild. But, I wouldnt go 200 sq ft, Id trend toward 5 or 600.

Second, Ive considered one for when i buy another piece of land, but again on the larger end of the 'tiny' house spectrum.

The appeal comes down to materials, finish quality, features and DIY. Trailer homes are built with toxic finish materials that off-gas and are low quality. A 'tiny house' has more of a custom, quality appeal. They also make better use of space and most tiny house people seek efficiency.

Lastly, crafty people like to build their own on a steel frame.

The ads for the shows usually have them saying shit like, "We don't want to spend money on a huge home when we can buy a small one and go on trips."

is the chick included in the deal?

Small home
Great view
Ocean front location(s)
Get to travel
Pay no property tax

The ultimate Redpill living.

Pic related.

Just out of curiousity, what do you think of the recent bunker basement trend?

Heh, we have these inventions called "double/triple windows", "insulation", "central heating", "municipal heating" etc. Winters are super comfy and energy bills are tolerable. Meanwhile you central european fucks live in houses where windows have 1cm gaps where you can see outside and the wind blows in, no central heating, some shitty radiator, and yes, a fucking gas heated boiler. You are doing it so wrong you need to be nuked.

Enjoy your pleb tier composting toilet...

Checked...

People here buy a $2,000,000 shitty old house tear it down and spend $1,000,000 on a new home
So 1/3 house 2/3 land

Size of house= property tax
Basically whatever you make it worth is what they tax you on

>They all have a golden rule of don't steal from the park.

Literally trailer park boys. What about barbecues?

>Implying I wont go around shitting on other peoples door steps while they sleep and make off in the night.

Julian get off Cred Forums you're supposed to be babysitting Trin

Nigga, what are you even talking about? We have literl zero-energy houses here. I frequently meet people who's gas bill doesn't reach the 100 € per year mark, because they have so much passive power that there's just no reason to heat.

>implying there's something wrong about getting drunk, stoned, and having a good time at a trailer park every day

Come home to Texas spainbro plenty of land here

I guess I dont keep up on trends. Are we talking having some kind of survival bunker basement?

In all about being able to weather disasters and rely on myself but there are inexpensive, low-tech ways to do it. Some people go way overboard and wind up blowing a ton of money for a very complex, and stationary, system.

I can create the same thing with simpler materials (look up Mike Oehler's hill house methods) and be able to replicate it elsewhere if i have to pick up and leave.

Thank you for the reply, I'll take a look.

>he thinks gas heated boilers are bad

When are you moving out of your parents house?

>That's why economics should t be considered a "science"
it isn't

Dude, I live on Geyland Heights. That house is just a few down from mine. Pretty fuckin strange to see your street linked on here.

>cuck shed movement
Or get a used RV with slide-outs.
You can tow it, it has more square footage, and it costs less.

Hipsters wouldn't dare do that though because of the perceived white-trash stigma.

Trailers are for dum dums
cucksheds are the thinking man's adobe

>1941
>old
pick one
Seriously though, in the new England area, its not uncommon for homes to be that old, if not older

Fuck you, Lahey!

Sure thing. Its interesting stuff. The difference between him and 'bunker people' is that hes been living in what he recommends building for literal decades up here in north Idaho. So its a proven concept and frankly looks comfy. I hope to try a small one next Spring.

Do you guys hear a lot of stories about lead poisoning? Or are a lot of these houses renovated?

Can you explain this process?

Super cheap land in NM.
Some very lenient building codes out in nowhere lands.

yeah, I can see why people wouldn't want them in the upscale parts of town. Most of America isn't upscale though and they still apply the concept of protecting housing investments on neighborhoods where the surrounding houses aren't worth 50k.

In short, it's a bunch of old people bullshit. They think that you building a tiny home or storage home (which would ironically take more thought and planning than buying one of the neighboring overpriced dumps) will make their houses worth less than they were when the old people paid 20k for it and now want 40k despite years of depreciation. The zoning committees back them as they are long time homeowners.

It's fucked.

It isn't. It's a social science.

>living in a caravan

I frequently search for super cheap land within an hour of a city. I need to work, so there have to be gainful employment within reach.

Out in NM I always find shit that doesn't have road access and the nearest "town" is some glorified gas station.

Why choose either when you could just live in a fucking van?

Makes no sense though.

People don't mind if a home is Victorian, craftsman, rustic, Art Deco, or modernist.

But if you want a little industrial people get weird.

do you guys have something called property tax?
i have to pay 120€ a quarter for owning a small office

The whole building code is fucked, really. So are HOAs. Its all contributing to the problem.

If you look at the cost and amount of materials needed to make a stick-frame house both sturdy and heat efficient, vs. Some of the alternative methods like rammed earth, earthbag, or strawbale, its pretty clear that the only beneficiaries are contractors (quick, easy builds) and the people selling the materials. Its literal madness.

Not to mention how toxic half this shit is. VOCs, carcinogens, endocrine disruptors. Its no wonder we have cancer.

>Why do people prefer to buy a 200 square foot "tiny house" for $50,000 instead of a 700 square foot trailer for $10,000?

Simple: People have different tastes, preferences, and budgets.

Shocking, I know.

Have you considered a cessna? Is that even a finacially viable option in your situation?

where are you going to shit and shower?

I've lived in a 1600 sqft double wide pretty much my whole life.

Although they are really comfy, and unlike what most cityslickers think, it feels just like any suburban house, they have issues.

The two major problems with trailers is that:

1. They are no where near permanent
2. They are cheap for a reason

Basically, unlike an actual house, trailers have a shelf-live, typically 20 years. Trailers by themselves only decrease in value, they NEVER increase. Additionally, just like mcmansions, although they look good on the outside they are fucking cheap thrown together pieces of shit under the floor boards. Doors and windows aren't standardized, HVAC is so shit that possums have occasionally gotten in, insulation is terrible, the roof isn't that well supported, the floors will literally rot from underneath you given enough time, etc etc. Even my Dad, who lives for DIY shit and worked construction for 30 years, continually tells me that he wants "a real fucking house" because seemly every year he is doing a major project to keep this 20+ year old piece of shit afloat.

Really, if you just want a vacation house or have some property that you will only live on for a few years before moving away, Mobile Homes are the way to go. Just don't try to make them your primary home if you can help it.

I AM NOT WHITE TRASH

REEEE

because not everyone is white trash. most people have standards when it comes to the people they surround themselves with.

This

Hell, even mattresses are fucking poison. Several mattress manufacturers recommend you stand their shit product up in your garage for a week so it can do most of its offgassing there.

I have a latex mattress. I spent a little more for it but at least its not poisoning me for the 30% of my life I spend on it...and frankly its comfy as fuck, never slept this well on anything else.

As in Aircrafts?

lol no, it's not.

Insulation, ac, fire alarms, city plumbing, location such as around good neighbors, close to schools, etc.

Wherever you goddamn well please.

Yes.

>brick house surviving a tornado
Someone post that webm of a tornado throwing a train into a building I cant find it.

I wasn't trying to joke man, it's somewhat common in my state. Cheap aircraft is easy to come by.

I lived the cities for years. Stockton, Memphis, and Nashville.

I would rather live in a trailer than the "nice side of town apartments". You can't even begin to compare the expenses vs. rewards.

Trailers are only good for about 10 years though, maybe 20. They are like throw away houses. You get all the benefits cheap in exchange for a much quicker deterioration of the structure.

Taxation isn't theft, it is just people you don't know taking your money without your permission to spend it on things you never asked for and don't approve of.

Perfectly legitimate.

That's weird.

Tiny planes would be too spooky for me.

I bought a used 14X70 single wide that was a year old for $8k. I had to hire a Truck service to move it, for $5k. I set it up myself on a piece of property I already owned. I have lived in it since 2001 and started building a 3,000 sq foot house 3 years ago, paying as I go. I owe nothing on the house and its almost finished. After I move into the house I plan on renting the trailer and buying 3 more for other plots of land I own that can be rented $500 a month in the area (rural land can be cheap, but the land company refuses to sale by acre and sells by small lots in this area, I own 6 lots atm).

I see nothing wrong with trailers.

I bought a house for less than rent just outside of Boston

My mortgage is $1500

Rent for an apartment of similar size in my area is over $2200, rent in Boston for a studio will start at $2000.

Tiny homes are a scam

When a trailer is your only choice, you go with the trailer or double-wide.

Having better options is a luxury for many people, even those who were formerly better off. Imagine all of those college educated folks who had to train their H1B replacements and then were fired.

World is fucking crazy right now.

Two out of three reviews for the nearby high school.