Programming

On one of the self improvement threads, someone recommended learning programming.
Can anyone recommened any specific sites/ youtube vids/ tips for learning C?

Other urls found in this thread:

learnxinyminutes.com/
w3schools.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=z-OxzIC6pic&list=PLvJoKWRPIu8G6Si7LlvmBPA5rOJ9BA29R
codingame.com/start
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Go to Cred Forums you faggot
or do I look like your personal google?

Please don't pick C as a first language unless you plan on writing for embedded systems or linux kernel hacking.

Choose a good language to start which will give you fundamentals of *programming*. I recommend picking up Racket and using the free online book How to Design Programs (2e). As you get more comfortable with Racket you can switch over to the excellent free book The Structure and Interpretation of Programs.

C is a fine language for many tasks and there's no reason to not learn it, but it isn't necessarily the best way to start. If you still want to start with C anyway, just pick up K&R The C Programming Language. It's a classic for all the right reasons.

Avoid (at first): python, javascript, java, haskell, ruby, perl

After you're comfortable with racket/scheme and C, then you're basically ready to jump into any popular language, except maybe Haskell which has an infinite learning curve and is basically good only for masturbation and internet dicksizing campaigns.

Of course you don't. You just look like your typical 2016 German
I know it's not technically Cred Forums, but it was recommended on a Cred Forums thread

Learn python. This guys a troll

No one is going to hire you without a degree dumbass. The field is saturated as it is.

torrent an oreilly book on C#

>in Germany
Most likely a Google. A real German gets sent to camps for posting on this board.

C is not really useful. I know, I know, in didactic environments it's the first one you learn because you are "supposed" to start with procedural paradigm and move up.

Go learn C# and as a precursor look up a few videos on the basic concepts of OOP so you understand the paradigm. It's not rocket science desu. You can make mad stack as a .NET developer. Just try not to kill yourself when scaling the ridiculous learning curve.

lol false, you're probably just some underskilled retard desu, in which case yes you do need a degree to be team fodder

For most people starting out I would recommend Python, syntax is super easy and you can create valuable programs pretty quickly from zero.

If you actually want to git gud, I'd echo Racket/Scheme functional programming will give you a more formal/mathematical/theoretical foundation, but if you're just going to be another Ruby on Rails monkey it may not be worth it.

But you should decide for what purpose you want to learn programming. A dilettantish approach to programming "in general" will not be as helpful as if you approach a certain goal or take on a project. If you simply want a job, learn Ruby on Rails. If you want to do data analysis, learn Python, R. Etc...

>durr no 1 will hire u without a degree
>100% skill-based field

trust me, what this retard means is, "no one will let you blow your interview by sounding like a know-nothing, aka 90% of comp sci grads, but hire you anyways because you have a degree"; literally every programming job available asks for experience first, degree second -- the degree literally says "even though this kid is a retard now, he can learn whatever programming you need him to learn"

Only people with portfolios or connections get the good positions anyways.

A CS degree is a fancy dinner napkin compared to the toilet paper of most degrees. You still need the main course to with it.

That double entendre

Ruby is pretty comfy and you will learn the basics very easily.

Forgot

>>Cred Forums

a C based language would be much better for beginners, simple syntaxes and not retard level at the same time

>youtube vids for learning C

How is HTML/CSS/JavaScript related to other languages, I guess the syntax?

Everyone at Cred Forums just laughs when bringing them up as a first language. Surely those are the easiest ways to get started.

>Python, syntax is super easy
Is this why pythonistas actually believe? Python approaches C++ levels of syntax for extremely dubious benefits.

If you want a language like that with easy syntax, Lua is way better than Python.

Python is basically a meme language for hipsters to blog about on the internet, and the xkcd crowd loves it because of nerd signalling. Python proves you can write good programs in spite of bad language design, which we already knew thanks to perl and C++, but leave it to fucking Guido to need to prove it all over again by sperging out over indentation style.

I guess it's the same for any other job, if you do have any type of degree it's still better than nothing.

Learn Python or C#
Don't start with C

itt: software engineer

HTML is a markup language, not programming. CSS is just a layout and decorator language, not programming, though I'm sure people have tried to use CSS is extremely perverse ways.

Javascript is a scheme-like language with C-style syntax used to inject viruses and execute cross-site scripting attacks, as well as cuck Cred Forums with mistress carrie or whatever her fucking name was. It's an ok language I guess, it's relationship to web browsers makes it more complicated than it needs to be.

For any very very breif intros to languages,
try
learnxinyminutes.com/

also, try
w3schools.com/

C#, c++, c, python, Java
Just search on YouTube introduction to any of those and just follow their Playlist of Vids. There's no secret to it. If you want a book just Google intro books and follow that line.

>surely those are the easiest ways to get started

not really, the easiest way to get started is probably by picking up a shitty scripting language then moving up to something general purpose and moderately low level like C

HTML and CSS are not really going to teach you anything about programming at all

Yeah.

youtube.com/watch?v=z-OxzIC6pic&list=PLvJoKWRPIu8G6Si7LlvmBPA5rOJ9BA29R

At least I know Harvard's CS50 used to teach C. That was a couple of years ago. Maybe they don't anymore.

My advice is come up with a project, a goal. A tool or something useful you want to make for yourself in C. The process of figuring out how to accomplish all the requirements to achieve your goal through research online and trial and error will teach you a lot.

I wouldnt recommend C as first language.
Its old and unnecessarily complicated.

You could start with C#, C++ on Coursera

why tf is this on Cred Forums

>CTR
>>sliding
>>>get fucked

y'all postin in a bait thread

Thanks

If you're a sissy faggot, start with python and go to reddit to look for tutorials.

If you really want to program I recommend reading these three books, in the following order:

-code by charles petzold
-SICP
-K&R C

If you do this you'll have solid foundations (better than most CS undergrads...)

>unnecessarily complicated

You have no idea what you're talking about at all. You're really going to call C unnecessarily complicated, but C++ which is a superset of C with 100x more complexion a good starting language?

C is an extremely minimal language compared to C++.

consider something like lua or python to start

Think interior design vs engineering. HTML and CSS control how web pages are displayed. This is a fairly narrow area compared to programming writ large, so while it may be easy to learn it is not very relevant.

I was not answering the question "What is the best language" but "What is the best language to start learning programming with" Would you disagree that writing C programs requires a greater base of knowledge to start with, and may scare off beginners with void, pointers, etc vs python where the purpose of each line is more visible. Python also has extensive libraries, and perhaps most importantly for someone starting out, any python issue he runs into will undoubtedly have been verbatim posted and answered on stack exchange, which is probably not the case for Lua.

Good programmers are autodidacts. Find problems around you that you want to solve.
If you can't come up with any there's nothing in it for you and you should do something else. The language itself doesn't matter much since it's just a tool.

GIRRRRRL CODE YASSSS

>Its an AbstractBeanFactoryFactory type of programming.

>recommending SICP to a beginner

Cred Forums just fuck off, okay

Holy shit, did they actually do something?
Do you have more info? Their website looks kinda dead.

learn linear algebra, matrix math, and calculus

She assigned in her if statement. Assuming she considers gamergaters as negative she just blockes everyone.

can't tell the difference between assignment and equality

this

come up with tons of problems.

When I was starting out years ago I set out to print out a random complete sentence from a book I really hated

Took a godawful amount of time but at the end I was acquainted with regular expressions and a lot of things I had no idea about.

just think of something then code it

even godawful shit like your own calendar application with no external support, I coded it from scratch and it brought me to the verge of tears a couple times but I did it

>which is probably not the case for Lua

Lua has a huge support community. Moreover, Lua is basically retard proof.

Since Lua is an extension language, if you can find a game running it, you can really keep yourself interested whereas raw programming may feel too dry for a beginner.

I learned to program starting with gmod9 and 10 in 06'.

>learning C
That's a mind fedorah. Javascript is more interesting and does way way more. Learn C if youre memetarded and want to make games for a living.

speaking of programming, you guys should go to

>clintonkaine.com

and view the page source

first tryhard presidential candidate; I was impressed

dont listen to this guy

evrything is built on c/c++

I giggled.

>when will you newfags learn
Dude you're such a newfag.
Check pic and we'll see you on the "real" 4chans, not this public bullshit.

Don't start with C. It's harder to master, so many things can go wrong and you will quit easily because of these things.

It's better to learn some easier language first (Python (easiest), Java, C#) and then look back to C or take C++.

Comp Sci won't actually teach you how to program. You really do need to teach yourself. Comp Sci will teach you the logic and how to approach difficult problems. I have a Comp Sci degree. I didn't actually learn anything until Year 2 when I started to take it more seriously. Year 1 was basically programming syntax and since I had already done some programming, I thought "man, this is too easy". Year 2 made me realise I knew shit about problem solving so I had to actually buckle down and learn.

Programming is unbelievably annoying and makes you want to fucking die

Don't do this, it makes mustard gas.

I tried this and all I got was
>del: command not found
>Nuke@gypsies ~$

wow thanks, the secret board is amazing!

Learn Go.

C#, Java, VB are the only languages worth learning.

Object oriented always.

Learn the angular js framework.

Learn the mvc and mvvm pattern.

That's it.

Go is basically C with training wheels, but I don't know if I'd start with it.

2016 and kids still believe shit they read on Cred Forums lol

words of wisdom

What would GO be used for? And why use it over a general purpose language?

>recommends HtDP and SiCP
>troll
You fucking wat m7

it's a web backend language. it's basically the language that google uses to develop all their internet apps.

oh. Ill stick with ruby and C then.

Used for web development mostly. It's better than using Java in my opinion. Java is just disgusting.

codingame.com/start