youtube.com/watch?v=NGjF_BVNATQ
bladerunner.wikia.com/wiki/Las_Vegas
twitter.com/AnonBabble

That's what )))they((( want you to think

>comes out making some comment about cheese
>okay that's a little weird
>goes on about dreaming of fucking cheese

what the fuck? it's like something made up on Cred Forums

No, that's stupid and takes away from the entire overall story of the first movie

the first film is unambiguous. deckard is a replicant.

the only way to square that with the events of 2049 is that pretty much everything that happened in the first film was one big setup by tyrell to make two prototype models fall in love and reproduce

But why deckard is weaker than a replicant in terms of strength?

>>>>>>>¿

It's intentionally left ambiguous in BR2049

Older model? Or more likely made with human-level strength to not raise suspicion

No

PART TIME

Start reading literature user

Latin american fag here, sorry.

That sounds weird, more when he is a blade runner and could die at anytime, like at the end of BR.

thats stupid and youre wrong

he goes toe to toe with roy batty

nope
he was a chickenhead Harrison did an amazing job portraying him.

yet he cant break the cuffs
shits retarded to say hes a replicant
>inb4 hur ripley said so
ripley is retarded and ruins his movies with his retarded ideas

No. Neither Fancher not Ford wrote or portrayed the character as a replicant

Ridley can just fuck off

>TOE TO TOE
No, deckard is escaping from him,
Roy even gives him time to escape.

>ripley
fuck
he ruined the alien franchise and i guess i a little upset about that
hes an idiot

i agree that ridleys retarded and ruins his movies. but deckard is a replicant. the film supports this 100%

headcanon tho yea

In BR2049 Deckard's state is intentionally made to be ambiguous. Strong implications for both sides yes, but no clear singular answer

>the film supports this 100%
it doesnt though
its literally left ambiguous
do you know the meaning of ambiguous?
its like obscure
do you know 'obscure'?
its like a mystery basically

Besides that scene in the mirror. when?

in 2049 it absolutely is left ambiguous, in fact it's more likely he's human. but i don't think that's the case with the first film.

>unicorn dream/origami
>you've done a mans job
>deckards eyes literally glow like a replicant

there's a bunch of circumstantial stuff, but the origami unicorn leaves no room for interpretation (IMO)

It doesn't fucking matter.

i fucking hate having to type this out every time someone makes this retarded thread but here goes

DECKARD BEING A REPLICANT IS FUCKING STUPID AND HERES WHY
HIM BEING A REPLICANT IS ONLY IN THE DIRECTORS CUT BECAUSE EVERYONE THOUGHT THAT WAS STUPID
BECAUSE IT IS
AND IF DECKARD BEING "THE FIRST REPLICANT WITH REAL MEMORIES" THEN I GUESS THAT TAKES AWAY FROM THE IMPACT OF FINDING OUT K HAS A REAL MEMORY OR TWO

THINK ABOUT IT FOR ONE SECOND, RUB THOSE TWO BRAIN CELLS YOU GOT TOGETHER
>DECKARD IS A HUMAN WHO HUNTS SYNTHETIC VAT BORN HUMANS AND HAS NO MERCY, NO REMORSE. HE IS ESSENTIALLY A SERIAL KILLER WHO GOES AROUND MURDERING PEOPLE BECAUSE THATS WHAT HES TOLD TO DO LIKE SOME SORT OF THOUGHTLESS KILLING AUTOMATON. THEN THERE IS ROY WHO JUST WANTS TO LIVE MORE, ROY SEEMS MORE ALIVE THAN DECKARD. HE SEEMS MORE HUMAN AND ALL HE WANTS TO DO IS LIVE. HE KNOWS THAT DECKARD IS AFTER HIM. DECKARD WILL ACCOMPLISH HIS MISSION AT ALL COSTS AND THERE IS NO PLEADING OR REASONING WITH DECKARD. SO THEY FINALLY CONFRONT EACH OTHER AND ROY IS PUT IN A POSITION THAT LEAVES DECKARDS FATE IN HIS HANDS. WHAT DOES ROY DO? HE SAVES DECKARDS LIFE ALTHOUGH HE KNOWS DECKARD WILL JUST KILL HIM GIVEN THE CHANCE. THIS SHOWS THAT DECKARD, ALTHOUGH A REAL HUMAN BEING, HAS LESS HUMANITY THAN THE ARTIFICIAL LIFE FORMS HE GOES AFTER AND HUNTS. ITS AN EPIPHANY THAT CHANGES HIS LIFE. IT IS THE LAST STRAW THAT MADE HIM REALIZE THAT RACHEL IS A REAL PERSON WITH REAL FEELINGS.
OR
>HES A RELPICANT AND HE KILLS REPLICANTS AND IN THE END HE WINS AND GETS THE GIRL AND THEY RIDE OFF INTO THE SUNSET
PLEASE GO AHEAD AND TELL MY HOW HIM BEING A REPLICANT MAKES FOR A BETTER STORY?

I saw Ridley Scott at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

i mean yea i copied and pasted from an earlier thread but i did write that and i am right so....
ITS GOING IN EVERY ONE OF THESE RETARDED THREADS 4EVER

your book is pointless though because whether it's a better story or not is irrelevant. it's supported by the primary source, aka the actual film

maybe

dude it doesnt matter what ridley says
all that matters is the aesthetic interpretation of the viewer
the real artist is the audience
for instance, there could be an objectively awful movie but the viewers all think its amazing and there you go its a classic
it doesnt matter what the artist does or says
the real artist is the viewer
you shit head pleb
>hur dur daddy said so
ridley scott is fucking retarded and so are you

>"I went as far as creating false memories to trick replicants into thinking they are a real biological human"
>"what do you mean I shouldn't give them super strength??"

i don't care what ridley says, he's dead to me.
the film on its own is clearcut

please calm down, you're scaring the kids

>i did this to trick them into think they were human
implying

>the film on its own is clearcut
its not though
theres like a few versions with varying determinations on deckards status
its like im talking to a scared child

If the movie is not supposed to communicate that Deckard is a replicant then please explain the purpose of this scene
youtube.com/watch?v=NGjF_BVNATQ
and the scene at the end where Deckard is given a paper unicorn. You cannot explain it. You can't because the movie is supposed to communicate that Deckard is a replicant.

he kissed a man lol what a gay

dude the unicorn dream wasnt even filmed for blade runner
ridley shot is a hack and just recycled shit from another project because he thought it was cool
the origami is just a quirk
him being a replicant is stupid and wrong

all versions are equal? are some better than others?

why must you be so hard-headed

He wasn't tricking them into thinking they were real, replicants require false memories and personalities because of how long it takes to learn how to talk and walk around and learn and live in the world around you. People who have never played a video game before can barely walk around at first they have zero dexterity with the controller. If you have a stunted enough growth as a child when it comes to speech your vocal skills will be fucked forever you'd never be able to reach the level of a regular person

why is riding off into the sunset the maximum comfy ending??

wtf is this rhetoric? are you trying to sound smart of something?

>da moobie referenced a maymay i saw on /lit/ hheheehehhe

No Roy is toying with him...

Isn't he just supposed to be the 'good man'?

>then please explain the purpose of this scene
Riddley Scott shoved in unused footage from Legend, because sane people weren't around to tell him to fuck off, like they did while filming the movie. Deckard being a replicant is basically his fanfic.

>Riddley Scott shoved in unused footage from Legend
Not this shit again

Those people that kept telling him to fuck off are the ones that completely ruined the initial release. No matter what Scott gets the final say on which version is the 'true' version because he is the director and Scott wanted to really put Deckards own humanity at the forefront of the conversation. Deckard was always supposed to be a replicant the only people that are resistant against that idea are those that refuse to relate to something they find alien. The story still works fine

Too add to this I think the unicorn scene was a dumb decision way too on the nose and it was a straight up autistic move from Scott but the theories about Deckards humanity existed before the final cut was released. Look at this shot his eyes are clearly glowing. This shot was perfect and I think Scott actually did fuck things up with the unicorn scene but maybe he was just sperging out because he thought people weren't getting it

how does the story work fine when him being a replicant undermines the whole "(roy being) more human than human(deckard)"
its fucking stupid and youre fucking stupid
get over it

Older model with 10 times the lifespan?

That isn't the point of the story. The point of the story is that these aren't machines they're flesh and blood they're living breathing biological organisms that's why Roy plays around with Priss' blood and his rubbing it on his face and shit then he starts howling like a wolf, because he isn't a machine he's an actual animal. Look up Rob Agers analysis about blade runner on YouTube really insightful shit

>Those people that kept telling him to fuck off are the ones that completely ruined the initial release.
No, the bean counters at the studio ruined the initial release, because the test audiences were too dumb to get the movie. Harrison Ford thought that the added narration was dumb, and phoned it in, and Fancher had nothing to do with the added narration.

>Rob Agers
this is the guy that came up with the 'gold room' theory of the shining right?

super interesting, although iirc he did start shilling gold towards the end lel

you are trying to counter my argument by supporting my argument

bold move
but what i said earlier is the point of the movie
its ironic and for lack on a better word kafkaesque (not memeing)
>"(roy being) more human than human(deckard)"
appreciating that, we go into 2049 knowing that K has a soul, he has humanity
K is basically what ridley wanted for deckard but couldnt pull off
and they are like yin and yang just like roy and deckard

Deckard is an experiment just like Rachel. Or something. here's a fun head canon posted here a while back

The replicants in Blade Runner know they're replicants. Except Rachael. She's a new type of replicant and shes been given somebody else's memories to cushion her emotional responses so she can be more easily controlled. So if Deckard is also a replicant, he doesn't know about it either. So hes the same as Rachael. So it follows that he must have somebody else's memories too. And there's really only one person who's memories he could have.

GAFF IS DECKARD. If you think about it, it makes complete sense. Who is Gaff anyway? I propose that he was the best Blade Runner in the business before he got injured and acquired his limp, possibly even going after the replicants in the film. He's right up there in the cop ranks and appears to be close to Police Chief Bryant, the same relationship Deckard re-assumes when he's hauled in at the start of the film. Deckard isn't even allowed to fly his own police car. Pretty much every time he needs to go somewhere, Gaff has to drive him. He's a real dick about it too, he doesn't talk to him or even acknowledge his presence. He just drives him around with that resentful scowl on his face. How come Deckard isn't flying himself? (cont.) (1/2)

Majestic

(cont.) (2/2)
Right through the film, Gaff shows complete contempt for Deckard. Right at the start when he approaches him eating those delicious looking noodles, his way of saying "hello" is by hitting him on the arm with his cane. All the way through he's basically a massive prick to him. The relationship makes sense - this whole endeavour of using a robot to hunt robots is experimental. If Deckard has Gaff's memories and skills than who better to keep a close eye on him to assess how things are going? And how much would Gaff hate doing this? The more Deckard succeeds, the more reason Gaff has to hate him. He's everything Gaff once was and serves as a painfull reminder.

Then we have the one big clue. The unicorn. Gaff knows about Deckard's recurring dream. How else could this be the case unless he also has the same dream?

kek, the meme that keeps on meming

tl;dr everyone already knows this shit

This is what I never got about that theory why is Gaff constantly dreaming about unicorns to the point where he knows Deckard is going to eventually have a vision of one. There's literally no purpose to Gaff having unicorn dreams it's never explained why he would have them it's just random

holy shit, this is an amazing theory

>Great sense of humor

KEK damn astute observation
why havent i come to this conclusion
damn your good dude

Roy is not "more human" than Deckard their humanity is equal Deckard is just more closer to Leon's personality type. Just because someone is flamboyant and poetic doesn't make them more human than a reclusive alcoholic what you're saying has no base am I more human than you if I twirl around everywhere and sing all the time like a Disney princess? No that would be retarded.

yea if youre a brainlet

K says what it's from 2 seconds later. It's literally the next line of dialogue.
>I didn’t watch the movie and that’s the movie’s fault

I guess in the context of that theory is that Gaff had the unicorn dreams, and since Deckard has all of Gaff's memories, Deckard would have unicorn visions as well. I guess. I dunno man, it's a plot hole I am willing to suspend because I fucking love Blade Runner and I will make up whatever I have to because that's what I want to do.

give a better theory, nerd

roy is more human because he values life
deckard is a killing machine
whats so hard to understand?

>likes head canon fanfic theories
>calls someone else a nerd
i dont need theories when the theatrical versions exist, its all right there
i dont have to fill in theoretical blanks, you see, because deckard is a human LOL

Roy has agency, Deckard does not. Deckard is just led around and obeys or just reacts to whatever is happening to him. This carries over even into 2049, where he is simply acted upon instead of exercising any kind of volition or free will. Roy is the leader of escaped slaves and he directs them, he has his own goal which he decided and values of his own accord, and takes drastic steps in an attempt to attain it.

gaff is a brony

It doesn’t matter, that was the whole point of the dog.

“Is it real?”

“I don’t know, ask him”.

Deckard’s the dog, like the dog he just sort of wanders into the plot of both movies and things happen around him. But if you asked him, it was all real.

yea, it really illustrates roy as being more human than deckard who is the actual human
crazy isnt it

Roy has a higher kill count then Deckard tho when the 6 replicants first revolted they killed like 30 people. Also Leon and Roy torture Hannibal Chew (the guys that just does Eyes) and it's revealed in the narration that they kill him. Roy also squeezes Tyrells head like a grapefruit and hunts JF Sebastian down like an animal. And no before you say it none of those killings are justified even tho Roys situation does garner sympathy and I don't think he's terribly evil I think in the end both him and Deckard come to the same realization of the value of life. Roys death and mercy emotionally shocks Deckard, changes him forever

>implying the theatrical version of the movie wasn't forced out by film studios so that brainlet american audiences wouldn't be confused when they went to see an action movie and had to think about it
>implying that the actual answer to "is deckard a replicant?" is more important than the question
>implying that the cut of the movie which has the least amount of nuance and subtext should be considered the definitive version

Human =/= having agency. most people lack agency. Roy is superhuman. he's a Nietzschean overman.

Hence the line “more human than human”.

Roy desires life and what it is moreso than a normal human.

>none of those killings are justified
Justified by who? By you? Convince me.

Roy was an escaped slave leading his fellow captives to make their own lives. Yeah, there was some collateral damage, but that's how the cookie crumbles. He broke a few eggs. Might as well just never do anything because something bad might happen to someone.

hear, hear.

There are several meanings of this exchange.

1. K is asking if the whiskey is real. Deckard says that the dog can't tell if the whiskey is real or not, so it doesn't matter if the whiskey is real.

2. K is asking if the dog is real. Deckard says that the dog can't tell if it itself is real or not, but feels real, so the dog might as well be real according to its own experience.

3. Extension of (1). The whiskey is a symbol for Joy and Rachel.

4. Extension of (2). The dog is a symbol of Deckard, K, and all replicants. If you think you are a human and are trying to be human, you might as well be.

why would he ever ask if the whiskey was real?

Because most food is fake, on my first watch I actually thought he was asking about the whiskey because the conversation makes sense either way. K could be inquiring about the dog or the whiskey, either way the interpretation is the same.

Why would the dog give a shit about either? A dog wouldn’t give a fuck if it was “real” or a biological android, it’s just what it is. It also wouldn’t give a fuck if the thing it ingested was supposed to be “real” or not, because it’s still going to eat it.

A person that supposedly values human life more than an "actual human", does not kill out of revenge plain and simple. They especially wouldn't torture people. The replicants are also shown enjoying victory over others through violence. The look on Zhoras face while she's choking Deckard for instance that expression is suppose to show that she basically has a giant hard on. But when Deckard kills Zhora he's goes into almost shock at what he did and can barely catch his breath

That’s probably because they didn’t have implants. Violence and power are what they know, it’s why Leon gets insanely fucking pissed at Deckard, all he knows is fear from powerful people, so all he knows how to communicate is by the exchange of power. A 4 year old in the body of a man would probably have emotional issues that would express themselves violently, that’s why Tyrell started the memory implants.

>values human life
Roy values his own life and his own experiences. He's not really obligated to worry about others, especially considering his circumstances. He eventually does come to develop more empathy towards the end, but his emotional growth was also stunted. What Roy represents is his own agency, not empathy or caring.

>The look on Zhoras face while she's choking Deckard for instance that expression is suppose to show that she basically has a giant hard on
Imagine my shock when someone overcoming her assassin is pleased about her victory.

Could you take this bleeding heart shit and return to reddit? It's not interesting or original.

Probably. I mean he did live in one of the most radioactive places on Earth and live to 70... I mean come on guys.

The first one it was pretty clear he was even before the director's cut there were clues.

The radiation was not threatening according to K’s scanner, it was empty because there wasn’t really anything there. Without Vegas as a center for gambling, there’s nothing to live for in Nevada, especially down there. It is in the middle of a desert.

I don't understand why people think Roy represent the Nietzschian overman. Yeah I know he looks like an aryan angel but that's about all the evidence. Roy even fucks up more than a couple times and pays the price. Not exactly the perfect decision making of some sort of superman. Roys a big child with big ambitions and because of that when he experiences disappoint he acts impulsively and makes mistakes

Some levels of radiation will give you cancer in 20 years. Clearly not suitable to live in, but if you're going to die in 20 years anyways because you're old, what have you got to lose? Also, if you have nothing to live for (no family, no woman, no friends) why the fuck not?

Because he created new meaning for himself. In the end, he rejected his biological programming as a soldier and instead of killing deckard, he saved him because he realized that life has value.

I have to say, it's nice to see Harrison Ford give a shit about the role he's playing. He was phoning that shit in.

The overman isn't perfect, the overman is a being which has utterly taken control of its own actions. Complete self-control, mastery of their own volition and free will (to whatever extent is possible, after all absolute free will is a farce). It is a perennial idea anyway, unattainable in the imperfect material realm. It exists as an ideal to motivate the worthiest specimens of mankind (of which there are phew). You are simply ignorant of these interpretations.

But you're the one that said Roy values human life more than Deckard and that Deckard is a killing machine. That was your reasoning for why Roy is more human than Deckard

I meant to say he was phoning that shit in for Star Wars, but I'm retarded sorry

It's hard to claim he's not when Scott flat out said he was.

>But you're the one that said Roy values human life more than Deckard
Quote me. Copy and paste where I said this.

He's a terrible actor. Luckily in BR he was portraying the stand in for the audience witnessing Roy Batty's character. There's nothing compelling about Deckard or about Harrison Ford's performances.

np user, you are not even in the top-ten in the thread

bladerunner.wikia.com/wiki/Las_Vegas

Guys you get that Deckard Spent almost 30 years in a place that had been dirty bombed and was perfectly healthy. I mean jesus. I know you want him to be healthy but come the fuck on. Yeah radiation levels probably dropped over time, but that's over time. Deckard had been there since it was dirty bombed meaning he was exposed to a crazy high level or radiation for atleast 20 years that had caused all human beings to leave.

He was a replicant. it's not a big deal

Man it’s almost like he’s literally a child mentally beneath his high intellect since he’s only 3-4 years old and has no memories from which to base emotional responses so exactly like a child in a superhuman body capable of crushing skulls he reacts violently.

And it’s almost like Deckard is old and has spent 20 years or so gunning down fleeing replicants mercilessly and has only recently begun questioning his intentions.

>Guys you get that Deckard Spent almost 30 years in a place
he spent 30 years on the run, not necessarily in the same place

You said it right here or atleast someone else did and that led to my rebuttal and then you got involved saying some random about how you wanted to suck Roy off for some reason

Where is it ever stated specifically that all replicants have the ability to withstand massive doses of radiation? I’m not even saying he’s not a replicant, but we don’t even know if he only went to Vegas, or even when exactly he went. He didn’t immediately go there, he was still with the one eyed resistance woman for awhile as well as with Rachel up until the point she gave birth. He covered their tracks, remember?

I did not make that post. It's not my job to defend someone else's posts.

you went full retard
you cant even tell who you are talking to
how are we supposed to take you seriously and even consider your opinions when you say shit like that and are completely unaware of whats happening

>Stay indoors and take care not to breathe in fallout
>Survive
It's not hard

Just slap the shit out of his retarded ideas, no use making personal attacks on him, even when he does it to me. Who cares? He's just some anonymous jack off. If he has something interesting to say, he'll say it.

Its like you faggots never heard of radaway
I'm sure in 2049 they have something similar to that or some kind of decon station or something
Theres a sort of decon station in Sappers place
why wouldnt Deckard bring some shit to help him with the radiation?

I was just teasing you a Lil bit I'm sorry mane. I was supposed to be the 'good man' and I failed

>merely pretending

No hard feelings user. Let's shake on it.

Whaaa from my interpretation me and one person where having a discussion it doesn't even matter if other people are jumping in I can't tell the difference if there both defending the same viewpoint

WTF IS GOING ON HERE
WILL THE REAL SLIM SHADY PLEASE STAND UP

I never said Roy Batty "values human life" more than Deckard. I don't understand, explain to me why it's my responsibility to defend the statements of others, especially when I disagree or believe the statements are irrelevant

Why are you so gay

Yeah your right I should've just responded to the dude that said I went full retard because i don't think he fully grasped the situation but I think you got what was happening I'm this guy and this guy and this guy

Kek

i'm a gay replicant, i don't have any agency