Fixing The Last Jedi Plot Holes

A friend and I were talking today about how to fix The Last Jedi. In doing so I realized almost every plot hole could be sold with 1 simple change.

The Empire was tracking the resistance.

It would explain so much.

> Have Holdo avoid telling her plan because she thinks there is a spy aboard, that allowed the empire to track them.
>This could also tie into why Poe escaped, maybe the empire DID throw a tracker on his ship. Thus Holdo would have been 'correct' to not trust Poe, though unintentionally. It would also give her a reason to avoid discussing her plan.
>Have Finn and Fat Asian go aboard the empire ship in an attempt to discover how they were being tracked.
>Along the way they discover that they can kill the shields for ALL the ships.
>This would give a reason the hyper drive scene worked. Because the shields were down.
>profit

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Kj3opk1QFTM
youtube.com/watch?v=9QJRw56cOVw
youtube.com/watch?v=e9vrfEoc8_g
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They were tracking them.

Even if you fixed the ploy holes the (((((((action)))))))) is still boring AF.

I should have said 'logically' tracking them without BS stuff that destroys star wars.

To fix TLJ you must fix TFA. We're stuck with TLF happening right after TFA because Abrams blew his load too early and showed Rey meeting Luke, when he could have just stop the movie with Rey flying off into space to meet Luke

*TLF = TLJ
mb

Oh, so like they let Poe get so close to the dreadnought so they could slap a traditional tracking device on him?

Yeah that actually would have fixed quite a bit.

>friend
normie get out

At the very least that would make the empire not look like complete fucking retards.

why are the nuquels so fucking bad?
>7 ruins the end of return of the jedi by making it pointless
>death star a third time
>kills han before having him like and Leia meet up again
>ends on a cliffhanger with Luke fucking Skywalker
>In 8 He's a cranky old man AND has MCU quips at the same time
>refuses to help Leia even after acknowledging Hans death.
>we get a shitty matrix fight scene with him and Kylo then he dies.

>The Empire was tracking the resistance.
This doesn't solve the plothole that after ROTJ there's still somehow the """""EMPIRE"""" and the """""RESISTANCE""".

Nice try but it's fucked beyond repair

TFA has problems, and I would change most of it, but it had stuff to work with so this doesn't excuse Johnson. TLJ didn't have to suck so bad.

Quite frankly, TFA wasn't that bad. I think that writing the ST as a trilogy is so limiting. I'd do four movies personally. The first one to reintroduce the characters and the galaxy and the other three for the actual story.

They kind of explain it then books and it actually makes a great deal of sense. Here it is

How they are tracking them through hyperspace is pretty simple

When a ship is in hyperspace it has an insane amount of energy. Energy = mass, Mass creates gravity. The hyperspace tracker is watching for the gravity disturbances or waves (like a boat in the water makes when it's traveling) that ships in hyperspace would make.

Now in order for them to do that and see these waves you have to turn off the gravity wells, which are creating disturbances in space and messing with those gravity waves. So that giant space ship had to turn off the gravity wells. Those gravity wells are used to keep ships from jumping into hyperspace and keeping ships from hitting them while in hyperspace.

Meaning, they could be hit by a ship going into hyperspace. It's why the death star had the same deal. The death star had gravity wells, same with most imperial ships all designed to keep ships from jumping away and hitting them. This is one of the few times in star wars movies where a ship had to turn them off for a reason

Hopefully that explains it for you. However the movie was shit

>Book says they turned off their mass

Well... that explains everything...

How about just, there is a MOLE on board.

Poe distrusts Holdo because he thinks it is her. Hence we have Rose on duty to catch anyone leaving the ship.

the action was bretty gud though, that is not the main problem of the film

The issue is that ships can't actually travel at light speeds since that would kill the human body. When they say light speed it is a comparison of time and space between hyperspace and real space.

Besides the point of why hasn't it been used before.

FTL ramming opened can of worms that cannot just be put away.

Your post is not proof people at Lucas Film are dumb. It is proof that they did not give a second thought to their ideas. All of your solutions were easy and could be simply achieved by any mediocre screenwriter. And it pretty much fixes the film.

huh

so hux freaks out on screen because their vulnerability to hyperramming should be 100% secret, but holdo either flukes into it or figures out the vulnerability at the last moment.

either way it's a huge unexposited asspull but it's the best 'retcon' ive heard so far.

presumably the hyperspace tracker is fuckhueg and only snoke's ship has one, otherwise they'd give a less critical ship the crippling tactical weakness.

Why are you writing the story for Disney you wanker?

Eh.
It's interesting to see how easy it would have been to fix the story with just very minor tweeks.

Stop doing their work for them. These fucks probably made more for a week's work than George and his team made for the entirety of shooting ANH. They deserve to burn.

There is no fixing TLJ.

Hyperspace ramming wasn't a thing in any previous movies. Why build a Death Star when you can hyperspace ram a few SSD through a planet?

Yoda, as a force ghost, can affect the real world? Why didn't Obi force ghost pop in to the Death Star's reactor and give it a little shock?

The force doesn't "copy + paste" a user's ability. There was no "good Anakin" when he turned. There was no "good Palpatine" when he turned.

ADMIRAL ACKBAR DIED OFF SCREEN YOU FUCKING KIKE

go fuck your mother, stupid millenial

Everyone assumes FTL. Holdo’s ship never achieved FTL. It was still in the process of accelerating the moment it rammed into the ship. Holdo’s ship was going extremely fast but not FTL. And therefore her ship was still in the same dimension as the First Order ships at the moment of impact. Holdo’s ship had tremendous mass due to the near light speed velocity at the moment of impact and was therefore able to penetrate the First Order shields.

That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.

Petition to rename "plot holes" to "autist traps"

Sign here X_____________________

Obviously she performed the Han Maneuver and came out of hyperspace on the other side of their shields.

best movie so far

Found the Last Jedi writer.

>Turn on the gravity wells, we know where they are headed. No need to track them any longer.

>shitty salt hoth
>no real lightsaber fight
Yeah great action

the gravity wells create disturbances in gravity. fucks with the tracking
because almost all of the capital ships the empire used had gravity wells running. i explained this
they figured it out along the way. it was leia's plan all along
gravity wells only extended so far. the resistance ships were faster and could just get out of range then jump and they wouldn't be able to track them.

Listen I know the movie is horribly shitty and full of plot holes like rose falling in love with finn 16 hours after meeting him, or the fact rey is literally on achtoo for 36 hours

but the whole hyperspace ramming thing was pretty well explained and you autists are just upset.

Gravity Wells were only on Interdictors and Interdictors always needed very visible special shit on them to work.
Does that mean every ship now has a gravity well but that they could only really pull out people from Hyperspace with Interdictors because they have bigger and better gravity wells through their boob domes?
Or did the First Order make every single one of their ships into an Interdictor but never bothered to use that technique because they also developed Hyperspace tracking because apparently Star Wars is about technological advancement, even though everything looks like it has been used for decades despite being in use for maybe one or two years.

Man, I really don't care anymore. They should have just said Snokes ship is an Interdictor and that's why the Rebels couldn't hyperspace from the E7 base thus forcing them to flee to the extremely close Salt Mine planet. The tracking Poes X-Wing idea is also good but you can only give villains advantages through pre-planning and foresight, never can a villain have a creative idea mid-battle because they are inhuman automatons. Just fuck this world.

They already knew they were headed for the planet. Also they could jump some SD in front of the resistance, but they don't.

Snokes ship had them, but they were off. I don't really care anymore as well.

The whole black panther movie just ruined it for me. The beggining of that fucking movie was a Giant Spear fight between 2 guys to decides who runs the most technologically advanced nation on earth armed with nuclear weapons and people love that shit. You see no one complaining or even questioning that logic.

This is how I explain The Last Jedi without plot holes:
>Holdo is crazy
>she's only an admiral because she's close friends with Leia
>the Hyperspace Crash thing was never done before because it's ilegal and it could cause huge side effects with hyperspace routes, to the point where even the First Order is afraid of doing such an uncontrolled thing
>the Resistance doesn't care because they are terrorists who can't be reasoned with
>the rest of the galaxy knows the Resistance are actually the bad guys, that's why no one comes to their assistance when they call for help from Crait
And also:
>Yoda burns the tree because he already knew the books weren't there, since he's a Force Ghost so (I imagine) he can see everything
Also:
>Rey is not a Mary Sue because she has this one huge flaw: She's a racist. Notice how she calls the religious women aliens from Luke's island as "those things".

You can't fucking fix it. Just ignore it and forget it ever happened

Easiest solution is usually the best. You can pull all kinds of new tech and advancements out of your butt to explain and overexplain anything.
But if a simpler solution is: "They put a tracker on Poe's ship, hence why they let him get close to the dreadnaught and let him escape." Then use the simpler solution that doesn't involve gravity wells and new unseen/unexplained tech.

It's just convenient the ships gravity well was off.

I don't even get this shit anymore.
So every ship has gravity wells now to prevent people from hyperspacing too close to you or through you.
So why does a planet not have natural gravity (wells)? The Falcon jumped like 1 klick above the surface of the Starkiller, through its shield and atmosphere. You would think being a fucking planet the gravity well would start somewhere around the athmosphere and kick the Falcon automatically out far earlier than directly in front of the mountains they showed in Episode 7.

>because almost all of the capital ships the empire used had gravity wells running. i explained this

And it just so happened the the Supremacy was the one ship ever in the entire history of FTL that forgot to turn its gravity wells on? Come on Rian. Stop post writing your script.

Beside the fact that for a ship going at light speed hitting the atmosphere of a planet would like be hitting a wall. I'm very positive that the explosion would render the planet inhabitable.

The easiest way to fix all the problems of Nu wars is saying the last 2 movies were rebel propaganda and show Kylo killing everyone in a fight.

>the whole hyperspace ramming thing was pretty well explained and you autists are just upset
In a book... Stuff like this really needs to be explained in the film though.

>I'm very positive that the explosion would render the planet inhabitable.

They even mentioned something to that effect in the second book of their stupid new canon.

Who decides what happens when a ship hyperspaces somewhere? Before it was gravity that decided, now its the cunts from the story group.
I quit, I don't want to ply with the faggot that invents new rules mid-game.

rlm did

If every ship has gravity well generators, what is the point of an interdictor cruiser?

youtube.com/watch?v=Kj3opk1QFTM

I could ignore the FTL ramming if the story was at least good, but it wasn't!

It's pretty telling that the people who hated it the most are also the most adamant about "fixing" it. They go on about how SW is dead and TLJ killed it, yet here they are still trying to perform CPR on the dead body months later.

Battered Wife Syndrome.

>How about just, there is a MOLE on board.
You mean OP?

The best explanation as to why FTL ramming happened and the MF landed from hyperspace on a planet is:

"We don't know, they were one in a billion flukes and won't ever happen again"

Don't try to rationalize it. Don't normalize it. Just say that weird things happen and aren't gonna happen again.

He's so irritating. Especially that tlj was a really unfeminist movie that's paraded around as feminist but it's very far from it

>is saying the last 2 movies were rebel propaganda
Now that's subversive.

The tech to track through hyperspace is impossible stuff. How does Holdo know that they aren't being tracked by a spy or a conventional tracker? Wouldn't that mean that logically she'd have to keep her plan to herself?

>Wouldn't that mean that logically she'd have to keep her plan to herself?
Correct me if i'm wrong, but the movie heavily implies that's the case.

Maybe she thought that, but it was never said in the movie.
>The tech to track through hyperspace is impossible stuff.

That is why a mole being onboard would be a COMPLETELY logical reason for her to keep her idea to herself and also distrust Poe. A dude who was recently captured by the empire, managed to 'escape', with the help of a random deserter and who just survived a major attack that killed dozens of other fighters.

The mole idea is the only one that makes sense.

Hell, having Poe get a tracker on his ship as a result of his reckless actions would really help to sell the idea of looking before you leap.

Yeah. Some of these anons need help getting there though

>A dude who was recently captured by the empire, managed to 'escape'
He led a raid on Starkiller base tho, and is highly respected among other pilots.

It's not said because the movie puts us in Poe's shoes. It's perfectly reasonable though. She thought a mole was a possibility. She kept quiet.

I was so certain they were going to have it so there was a spy aboard the rebel ship
That makes the plot make SO much sense

Yeah, no she didn't. There is nothing in the movie or books to indicate that.

By your logic you could say that during Terminator Sarah Connor was secretly a lesbian and that is why she was reluctant for help from Kyle.

>She thought a mole was a possibility. She kept quiet.
And then she never said anything about it even after the reveal, thus creating a plothole. Very clever.

The single biggest problem with nuWars is the First Order, and that's on JJ and Kasdan. Rian took everything and made it ten times worse though.

>When a ship is in hyperspace it has an insane amount of energy. Energy = mass, Mass creates gravity. The hyperspace tracker is watching for the gravity disturbances or waves (like a boat in the water makes when it's traveling) that ships in hyperspace would make.

This pseudo hard sf stuff has no place in Star Wars.

Poe is an Imperial spy

The whole idea of Holdo thinking that Poe could be the spy is really dumb cause Poe just blew up the Starkiller. Unless he was really deep undercover.

Also if there was a spy wouldn't the spy have tried to prevent the attack on Starkiller base?

My head is hurting from all of the stupidity.

This dosen't explain why it's never been used offensively before.

But real subversion takes balls,and as we have seen hundreds of times here on Cred Forums,the SW story group doesn't have any.

Have you guys read the cannon wiki on wookiepedia it literally reads like someone is making it up as they go along.

I mean I'll admit that some of the Star Wars EU stuff is wacky, but what Disney should have done was sit down and prune through the crap. Created a strong explanation for everything sci-fiy and everything force related you just say 'its magic shut up'. It's not that hard. God damn it.

It's subtext user. What if she suspected that Poe was a possible mole?

She was alone on the ship after the reveal and then died.

I love how these films are written and directed without any communication. Who knows what will happen in the next film, certainly not JJ Abrams.

youtube.com/watch?v=9QJRw56cOVw

WTF! INFINITE TIMES WITH MILK

The guy literally just destroyed the largest,most powerful and most expensive weapon the FO had.Anyone else could be distrusted,but not him.
> to plant our guy in the resistance,we will let him destroy most of our assets
You're retarded

Love this guy

She had a brief exchange with Leia right before doing an hero. They even discussed her retarded plan and the fact that Poe is a good guy. That was the right place to insert something like
>i've been thinking Poe is a mole,
but Johnson is a hack.

And he also just got a crap load of rebels killed by deliberately disobeying a direct order from a superior.
What is your point?

>shield network
Interesting thought and yeah, it would give Finn something to do besides learn about the immorality of horseracing.

youtube.com/watch?v=e9vrfEoc8_g

Imagine it like this
>takes out paper and pencil
>Draws a circle at the bottom and another at the top
>folds paper in half and pokes pencil through the holes
And there you go

That fucking gay star wars headline made me almost punch my screen.

Hyperspace tracking was setup in Rogue One. It was a line item in the list of tech Jyn was reading off looking for the Death Star plans.

God fu***** dammit!!

But they are actually traveling as fast as light! It's folding space! FTL ramming can't happen!

Why Rian, why?

>it lines up so fucking well

>just got a crap load of rebels killed
Tell me,oh wise one.What would happen if the planetary defense buster got intact to the planet the rebels were planning to hide in?

That is,if the rebels could survive the chase.A larger and more powerful gun has longer range and could destroy or cripple the raddus before the small ships could escape.

Poe saved the rebels,and you're a moron.

>Poe saved the rebels,and you're a moron.
This. Then again, we have to have our feminist message about how Holdo is great!

Fuck you, Rian Johnson.
Fuck JJ Abrams, too.

This, fucking this.
Those useless fucking ships were a microscopic price to pay.

So long Plinkett

New series should of been this
Epsoide 7
>luke starts new jedi order, empire is falling apart without sheev or vader
>no rey, or finn, poe takes finns place as the new character
>luke sences kylo is OP and pussies out afraid he will be vader 2.0
>jedi order falls apart, kylo runs away, this is why han and leia break up
>luke hides like a pussy
>kylo , tempted by a dark lord, takes up reigns of the shatterd empire
>with no han, leia or luke, new republic is getting BTFO
>the movie is a han solo/poe adventure
>dont see kylos face untill he meets han
Epsoide 8
>rebels getting btfo
>han dying caused luke to man up and come out of hiding
>luke faces down kylo to help rebels escape, he can btfo him but throws the fight like obi-wan did to nudge kylos consciousness
Epsoide 9
>leia btfos kylo in a space battle and can kill him, but forgives instead
>kylo returns to the dark lord in shame, but hes been turned
>kylo kills the dark lord, but dies of injuries
>empire falls apart again and rebels win

>dat synch