Alright, I'm "finally" gonna watch The Wire. Is it really that good? What I really want to know is...

Alright, I'm "finally" gonna watch The Wire. Is it really that good? What I really want to know is, how much propaganda is there?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9_peSCECc4I
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

not any if you mean is there a blame whitey narrative

no propaganda, they show the shittiness of both side of the equation

There is no propaganda. It predates all of that forced diversity shit and if there is a black character it's because it feels authentic for them to be there. The only bad season is Season 5 because it wasn't developed properly as the show was getting canceled. The entire show is a giant redpill about how American society is destroying itself in an interlocking system of mutual assured destruction. Not one group is to blame but all groups together. It's basically an introspection of various facets of life. The hood side is explored from the first episode. Each generation of hoodrat trains the next generation to be more fucked up than the prior generation. The white blue collar worked are getting destroyed by globalization and automation and ditching the cities in droves leaving those that remain to be just as bad as the black hoodrats they despise. The Police start off as idealistic rookies only to turn into monsters or jaded veterans just running the time out for their pension. The politicians are crippled by the lack of money and always look to climb the ladder in hopes that salvation will be gleaned from a larger pool of money to solve the problem only to find a larger bowl of shit to eat. All suffer all will be destroyed by the machine of modern American life.

The Wire is a giant red pill larping as a cop show.

>Is it really that good?
Yes

>how much propaganda is there?
Very little
The first season is very clumsy about its "both sides are shit" message and very obviously paints the cops as douchebags so people love to rag on it after watching like 3 episodes but it gets much better about it later on
One of the worst characters is all but based on Martin O'Malley

>The only bad season is Season 5 because it wasn't developed properly as the show was getting canceled
Is it that bad?
I'm about to finish Season 4 and I've heard Season 5 is rocky but worth it for the ending

It just tried to be nuanced as possible seeing as its supposed to be realistic

Real life isn't so black and white

You should go and fucking watch it instead of reading opinions about something you don't know nothing about.

Season 1 + Season 2 is a 10/10 combination that ONLY GETS BETTER on each rewatch.

3,4,5 = mediocre.

>How much propaganda is there
Considering they recently indicted Baltimore Special Drug Team for corruption and murders and poorness keep growing IF ANYTHING The Wire was too easy on Baltimore

>Real life isn't so black and white
Baltimore in 2018 is much more fucked up than it was in Wire. They literally needed to create application for phones for drug users to report bad batches because so many people die to fentanyl+heroin combo bombs

Thanks for the insight, I feel better about diving into it now. The show seems so dense I didn't want to wake up halfway through and realize I was watching some jewish high fantasy set in the hood.

It definitely lives up to the hype.

Its one of those shows that elevates the medium much like The Sopranos or Twin Peaks. Its such a large and worldly story. The scope is insane.

It has a theme to teach, but it doesn't breach into preachy.

>Seasons 3 and 4
>Mediocre

No it's not that bad, it's like a 7/10

It's not as good as Breaking Bad or Lost but better than Sopranos and Mad Men.

They're tv for tv's sake. There's some good storylines like Stringer trying to hop to legal shit and gentrification but it's all drowned out by generic cops and robbers, thug tv-show

It's the definition of overrated. Season 1 is the only one worth watching than they branch out into a bunch of stupid shit no one cares about.

I liked the final season, it had some interesting developments, especially with Jimmy, his plot is probably the most interesting, albeit a little zany.

OFFICIAL OPENING THEME SONG RANKINGS

Season 4 > Season 3 > Season 2 > Season 1 > Season 5

OP here, before everybody gets excited over telling me to form my own opinion all I really needed to hear was in the first post.

Why take a gamble with google when we can have a discussion?

>It's not as good as Breaking Bad
Jesus see a dentist for that shit taste.

It's pretty trash, it's the only season where the characters feel compelled by the plot rather than reactive to events occuring.

That's what piques my interest, I have a hard time believing it could be better than the Sopranos, but I hear it's a lot smarter.

lol idk about putting lost and BB on such a pedestal though even though they were really fun to watch

>The school storyline
>Carcetti vs. Royce
>Hamsterdam
>"generic cops and robbers"
Man I dunno if I agree with that at all, other than maybe Freamon spending half of Season 3 dicking around with the burner phones
Season 1 is great but if anything it feels like the closest to a generic cop show The Wire ever got

It's up there with Sopranos and MM, much better than BB and Lost.

Much as BB's great it's one of the most overrated shows of all time due to it's accessibility to people of low IQ.

>>>The school storyline
>>Carcetti vs. Royce
Ok I give you these two.

Hamsterdam dives into 'tv for tv's sake' to me. Though CIA's politics were bit too, high and mighty considering the city's been democrat run and only gotten worse each year under their rule

good fucking bait, made me reply

2 many nigs 4 me

That's why BCS is a brainlet filter

it portrays them honestly though

McNulty did nothing wrong.

>tom waits wailing soulfully
>ranked below season 3

no.

What is BCS?

Everybody compares it to The Sopranos just because they're highly praised shows on the same network. They aren't even remotely similar other than that.

The Sopranos has a much heavier emphasis on the comedy side, has a clear main character and focus, and really doesn't have many "slow" episodes. There are overarching arcs, sure, but every episode kind of has its own storyline within it, so it's a lot more entertaining to watch an episode at a time.

The Wire has some really funny moments but by and large it's much more serious than The Sopranos, and the scope is much, much bigger. There isn't really a main character of the show - there's McNulty, who's kind of set up to be the MC in Season 1, but after a while he's barely even a factor anymore. I think there are some episodes where he doesn't even make an appearance. Where The Sopranos is basically all from Tony's perspective, The Wire is much more interested in telling multiple different stories from different people to give you a clear picture of how the city runs. Sometimes they intersect, sometimes they don't. All the pieces matter.

The trade-off is that The Wire is really fucking slow sometimes because every episode kind of contributes to the overall picture rather than having its own narrative, but it's unbelievably satisfying to see how they come together at the end.

I don't want to circlejerk over it and there's nothing that I can really say about The Wire that hasn't been said already but I normally hate the shit out of cop shows and it genuinely blows me away with its scope and its ambition sometimes. It's really unlike anything else on TV.

its a series that you will feel "when does this get good" through the final episode

>season 2 above anything else

>The trade-off is that The Wire is really fucking slow sometimes

This. I think I was much better off binge watching it after it was over than I would have been if I had to wait a whole week after one of the slow episodes that was building up a back story.

It occasionally gets a bit cartoony with gay black thug guy. I don't dislike the character, but a lot of those scenes are retarded.

you cannot be serious. we can perhaps agree that the last couple of seasons aren't as strong as early on, but they're still damn good television.

>Hamsterdam dives into 'tv for tv's sake' to me
Alright I can agree with that
I think it was unique and I loved how they portrayed it but it definitely was as far from reality as the show got up to that point
I think Season 3 explores a lot of the same stuff as Season 1 but with a lot more nuance and moral ambiguity but that's just me

The Waits version is perfect for the setting of Season 2, and on its own it's definitely the best song of them all, but as a theme song for a show it doesn't fit as well as the others I think
I don't think I skipped the Season 3 OP even once by comparison

OMAR COMIN'!

Better Call Saul

Who was the worst character and why was it proto Gus Fring?

Yeah BB was a really fun watch but I would never watch any episode again. Meanwhile I watch Sopranos every couple of years if not more

>Is it really that good?
No. It's overrated and a true slog.

Muslims are a bigger problem. This show is a giant bluepill distraction from it.

What always strikes me when I think about The Wire is just how god tier the dialogue was.

>NOT WATCHING HOMICIDE LIFE ON STREET BEFORE THE WIRE

paaaandemic ;_;

It's weaker than the others, but it's not bad by any means.

>how much propaganda is there
>2002-2008
Those were different times, user. The world was in better harmony then.

I watched a couple clips, it's pretty good

poltardianism is truly incurable

I just started the show to friend! Ill give you my thoughts on this masterwork of television.
I just got done watching the episode where DeAngelo teaches the younger kids chess. I was blown away! I had to watch it a couple times to really pick up on it, but did you guys realize that when he was teaching them about the chess pieces, he was really referring to THEM being the pawns! What an amazing metaphor!

It was so deep and meaningful, I am amazed by the deep symbolism of this.

Do the later seasons continue on with masterful symbolism like this? This was truly the pinnacle of storytelling that I have ever seen on a television show, and I think I can confidently say The Wire is the best show ever made without even having seen the entire series.

Also the acting is amazing. Idris Elba and Dominic West do a great job with their Baltimore accents.

There isn't an agenda, it was before all this PC crap. David Simon (I know he's a hardcore leftist) would have been in a lot of trouble if it was made now for how stupid he portrays Baltimore's black youth and plays off their stupidity for jokes constantly.

Did you get this post from Youtube?

>The Sopranos has a much heavier emphasis on the comedy side

>*hits blunt*
>Dude Fuzzy Dunlop lmao
>*beats up a suspect in the interrogation room*
>Dude my whole character is an incredibly hamfisted representation of police brutality and incompetence lmao
>*Gives Clarence Royce a blowjob*
>DUDE FAGGOTS LMAO

Prove me wrong
Name one scene from The Wire as funny as this one
youtube.com/watch?v=9_peSCECc4I

Mpuzone wasn't a bad character to but believing he had that many bodies on him as he was if another story. But that's just me.

He's supposed to the contrast to Carver.

it's basically a prequel by same guys

The reason I like the Sopranos more is because it's just flat out more entertaining. The mob's double life is too much fun to watch, and the characters are so dramatic and outrageous. The Wire is so goddamn realistic I actually find myself lost while I watch it.

yeah, I noticed alot of the same actors

Not only because of that, but because the original novel Homicide is based on is written by David Simon who is the author of the Wire and both Homicide+Wire are based on his research.

This meme has truly fallen into the hands of Cred Forums's lowest common denominator

kek watching it now and I get the feeling this is true

Yeah this
He's great but it's hard to believe he's as much of a badass as the show wants us to believe. They set it up by having him shoot Cheese in that one scene and that's literally it.

Omar is very obviously a badass because the show goes out of its way to show and establish why nobody fucks with him rather than just kind of throwing him in and assuming everyone will follow along