I'm a shitty director, albeit sort of successful. I live in LA and get hired regularly but I feel like a complete fraud...

I'm a shitty director, albeit sort of successful. I live in LA and get hired regularly but I feel like a complete fraud. I'm extremely good at lying and I owe all of my success to bullshiting people with money. I don't think anything I've ever made could be considered art.

What do I do? What is a good film? How do I make a good film? A few EPs are considering funding me for my first feature (my scripts are good). Please help me.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Go to bed Zack.

>successful director
>first feature

>get hired regularly
they're not hiring you for high art
keep doing what you're doing and you might end up directing capeshit where the big bux are

just put a bunch of blacks in your movie

Take some acid and watch the new blade runner

>asking for free advice
must be jewish also

We have matching digits in that reply so you have to do it

You are in Hollywood and you know better. Bullshiting is the life you have chosen. It is the only pursuit that will continue your success. If you want to create art in film and stay successful, you will need to do it with a layer of subtlety, indirectness, a clever fuck you finely wrapped under sheets of gold.

>your scripts are good

kill yourself

You're scripts are shit, Max.

I made over 200k last year directing. You may have seen some of my work in the form of a youtube ad for something stupid as fuck. So no, I'm not directing huge features, but I make a living.

I'm worried I made a mistake pursuing this life. I'm scared to move on to better things. It was so frightening moving to LA and so draining just trying to break into the industry but I did it anyway because I loved it. Now I'm in the best position of my life to move forward and I'm totally frozen.

I'm not a bladerunner fan. They're good films but I'm just not into it.

true.

How did you get in the industry? Did you go to film school?

>Youtube ad
Who doesn't use adblock?

If you're extremely good at lying, you're not an artist, and making art will never be an option for you. Your two options are: continue following the path to hedonism out of disgust with yourself over your failure to find meaning in life, as you already are, or drop movie-making and go become some stupid Tom Shadyac style new age dipshit. I suppose you could also drop it all and go be some anonymous regular life jobber somewhere; if you're a good liar, you'd probably do well in sales. Don't bother trying to make an actually worthwhile movie, though, you don't have it in you. It'll come out like some made-for-TV Ryan Reynolds in School of Life crap.

Congrats on black panther bruh, those charities are buying tickets like crazy

I'm in the same boat, Dude.

I feel like a fraud sometimes. I am a much better writer than I am a director.

My best suggestion would be to find a storyboarder that you can trust. That will bail your ass out much of the time. Stick to the board and the board logic.

A lot of the times making a good film is fucking luck. I worked on some features years ago here I thought, "wtf is this shit" and it goes on to be a weird sort of teenager classic.

It's our job as director to be bullshit artists, and keep people on the track. Now to be fucking Orson Welles. Those guys are rare.

Just keep your head down, and study your craft. That's what the rest of us are trying to do.

Do you love film? A lot of great creatives feel like frauds and are extremely insecure. If you do love film I say go for it dude.

>It's our job as directors to be bullshit artists, and keep people on the track. Not to be fucking Orson Welles. Those guys are rare.
You snivelling ass. What a cowardly, cynical thing to say. It is rare for a director to match the heights of a man like Welles, that much is true, but this weak and dismissive attitude towards striving for artistic greatness is pathetic. I hope to God you either change your way of thinking, or you get kicked off set and never allowed back in again.

Why do you think lying ability and creative potential are inversely proportionally? I'd say they're positively correlated.

I'm trying to help the dude, faggot. Call me crazy, but a close friend in the industry blew his brains out a few months ago.

But you can't refute my argument. My job as a director is to have a vision, yes, but just as important is to get the fucking plane in the air. Dealing with money, dealing with obstinate actors and agents. Kissing ass. And btw, Hitchcock had to do all this shit as well, moron. You think he didn't get his fucking hands dirty as he was trying to woo studio heads into doing his crazy shit?

I have directed since high school, and I haven't been doing this for all these years because I am cynical. More than anything, I love collaborating with people more talented than I am. I love my work, but it is absolutely terrifying to have creative responsibility for something that people have invested high sums in. I'm sure you would melt into a puddle of piss if you were in the same position.

I'd argue that a filmmaker engages in lying to (hopefully) tell the truth. Mediums like music and painting/drawing/etc allow genuine expression. You cannot genuinely express yourself through film because the preparations to film are incredibly complicated and business like. You need to manipulate social settings, finances, talent, crew, EPs, etc etc before you can even begin working, and unlike painting or making a song in your bedroom, every second on set you are burning through money. There is no pure expression in film, only a pure final product (which is just as good, if not better I think)

how jewish are you on a scale of one to mel brooks

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome
>Psychological research done in the early 1980s estimated that two out of five successful people consider themselves frauds and other studies have found that 70 percent of all people feel like impostors at one time or another.
I'm more interested in hearing about the pedo shit you've seen in Hollywood.

>Not to be fucking Orson Welles.
You're right, you are a bullshit artist- an excellent one! You type three paragraphs overlooking my primary gripe with your orginal post, twisting my intent and inflating that which was necessary to improve your argument, being the focus on having to organize production of a film and playing the smooth man to get production rolling. Congratulations, an excellent display of your deceit (or self deceit?) I can see why you're so successful!

Well, how about I just knock you flat on you're ass you troll, that sound any better to you? Just name the time and the place and I'll be there.

Dude, I worship Orson Welles. In fact, I have delivered a paper on "Chimes at Midnight" at a conference.

And there was no bigger hustler on the planet than Orson M.F. Welles. Just read any of the biographies!

My suggestion would be to read a book and understand that directing is not throwing darts, it's fucking difficult and obsessive madness. It takes all that you've got to lead an army.

"Real" art trades in honesty. Dishonest people never make themselves vulnerable, thanks to their self-interest and instinct for survival, and will not express themselves with sincerity through their creativity, since it would be too great a risk. They also are not typically honest with themselves, because that also goes against their instinct for self-preservation.
OP: >my scripts are good.
They almost certainly aren't.

Good liars make good producers, actors, etc., but never good 'actual' creatives.

Jesus, are you nieve..

>asking money for advice
must be jewish

And you're being defensive because you know you're not a real artist.

>my scripts
They're good enough to attract money, I also have years of set experience. I'm not worried about my material, I worried about being put in a position where I could fail hugely and horrendously.

Are you fucking autistic? Or are you seriously trying to bullshit your way out of your own words? You seem to have taken issue with and focused the entirety of your attention on the aspect of hustling production. It doesn't take more than an ounce of intelligence to realize that I was criticizing SPECIFICALLY you saying that it isn't your job, as a director, to be Welles. I'm wondering where your confusion lies, as this was my issue and I elaborated it clearly, without one mention of my supposed dislike for slick tongued persuasion. It seemed to me that you found it unnecessary to strive for greatness, because you have to act the "bullshit artist", well, you later admit that Welles himself was a hustler so it's clear that bullshitting and greatness are not mutually exclusive, you oaf. Your own logic consumes itself.

ANy "real" artist you could name has had to deal with more of the world's shit than you.

We just have the courage to put our necks out there.

What have you produced, nigger?

i am so honest that i will never make a film
im literally too honest
if i was any less honest i could start and construct the skeleton of my opus, but i am too honest to accept anything less than the most perfect, unbridled truth
in a way, i am the greatest filmmaker of all time, but you will never see my works, nor do you deserve them

fellate yourselves with your "courage" and your "sacrifice" the fact that i lack such things is what makes me beyond you

To succeed, you either have to be a skilled manipulator or so honest that you intimidate people. Manipulative people do not have creative thoughts; they are too shallow. They get things done, but those things are invariably low value. You sound desperate not to have to confront the idea that anything you've made has no worth.
If your material was actually any good, you wouldn't be worrying about failing. There's a voice in the back of your head telling you you're a fraud because you know that you are one.

Cornflakes adds most likely

Write what you know. A comedic parody of your life and the industry would be nice.

You might be right, actually. I have an idea for a film that I know would be good, even if the production value was absolute shit it would still be good.

The stuff I'm pitching right now is VFX intensive and heavy with production design. I don't think it's as good as I'm hyping myself up to believe.

>I stop getting responses after exposing user for the manipulative coward he is.
Hopefully you iron out your contradictions rather than burying yourself further. It's a hard thing to take a piercing insult and use it to better yourself.

You're ugly

Erick, go fuck yourself faggot

Also he won’t respond to accusations of being Jewish because, well, it’s obvious
>directing right of of highschool
>has no talent, talks of “enjoying working with people more talented than me”
Typical nepotistic Jew if I’ve ever seen one.

haha, what a story mark

I'm the user you're responding to and I'm fine with Jews

if you read this, i hope you fucking off urslef now, your doing nothing good, building obstacles for yourself and have the wrong attitude entirely.

Think about the next move pussy

What do I do?

Kill yourself. Commit suicide.

>but a close friend in the industry blew his brains out a few months ago.

good

>"Real" art trades in honesty.

yes

Are you fed?

Hilarious assertion m8, it proves you don't know shit. Enjoy that.

suffer in your mediocrity, it's your choice

>I'm extremely good at lying and I owe all of my success to bullshiting people with money.
Literally what I’ve been trying to learn since I started wanting to make films.

I assume you're trolling, but if you're not I'd say dig deep into current not-best-seller fiction until you hit on a story that strikes you; to the extent that you know how you'd condense it for the screen and the 'showy' shots you'd pull off. Optioning a not-best-seller shouldn't be that expensive, and once you've done that approach financiers, with you attatched to direct with detailed and compelling shooting plan/scheduel/budget.

Pretty much the same boat. Made a shit ton of money writing absolute trash for studios that never got made (this was back when they regularly bought specs.)

Now I write "artsy" shit but all that seems to do is get me into rooms where they want me to write about some video game or toy they have the rights to. At least you're getting paid. I blew through all my money years ago and live with my mommy like a retard.

No. Just a concerned citizen.

Become the next Michael Bay