I just bought this, thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yGZgs-Uutzw
nitrosyncretic.com/pdfs/nature_of_fedsvc_1996.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Enjoy your purchase, faggot.

hm. might watch it again soon

good shit man HEY!!???
why didn't us white people go crazy for this white guy like the blacks do for blackpanther???

the character is filipino

Good Movie

I watch this kino at least twice a year.

because the film is multicultural and multiracial while also being pro-fascist
it makes leftie heads spin

Kino

Movies Cred Forums doesn't understand general?

>film
>pro fascist
t. brainlet
neither the film or the book are pro fascist - the film is also an abomination compared to the book

Diz > Carmen

Talking shit about Paul Verhoeven
Arch Pleb of the holy church of shit-taste detected

leftie here. love this film.

the movie is a propaganda film set in the book universe, that's why it's pro-fascist
or technically a caricature of pro-fascist propaganda but it unintentionally makes it look appealing

>pro-fascist

>makes it look appealing
t. brainlet

Mate, did you even pay attention to what was going on in the background or were you too busy jerking off to Diz?

One of the best movies of all time, imo, even though the director meant it as satire.

>makes the fascists look good and their society somewhere you'd want to live
>not pro fascist
ok m8

as bad as they show things it's still looks far better than our current society
nobody could have foreseen how bad things would get back in the 90s though

>people who don't legitimately contribute to society's shouldn't have a say in how it's run
>b-but das rayciss mayne gibsmedat you rayciss fascist grrr white supremacist triggered

This. I hope you really enjoy watching the movie and enjoying the special features, you gutless motherfucker.

unironicly love the movie for the wrong reasons.

It's great OP but don't watch 2 or 3, the animated one is alright though.

The movie was intended to be a satire on facism, and since it failed as a satire, it becomes facism-kino

Yeah, also this. The sequels fucking blow.

Ironside is such a fucking great actor why did he never really make it big?
Total Recall and this are all I can really remember him in

the book and the film are great in their own rights, but the book and the movie are nothing alike.

>somewhere you'd want to live
yes i'd love to live in the world where violence is taught in public school as the be-all end-all for everything and young people are tricked into dying in a pointless war.

nice strawman, faggot

This honestly. Argue with Nazis all you want, they will never be convinced that movies like this or American history x don't support their world view

>and young people are tricked into dying in a pointless war.
but that's our reality m8, young Americans get sent to die for Israel all the time

>one of the most respected characters in the narrative, represents the status quo, father figure to the MC
>explicitly tells him to think for himself and figure things out on his own
This fascist society is unironically less fascist than contemporary leftists.

The final scene with the nigger killing his little brother proved him right all along.

>implying Israel isn't just America's puppet

>violence is taught in public school as the be-all end-all for everything
Yes, I'd much rather teachers tell kids comforting lies in schools.
>and young people are tricked into dying in a pointless war
Nothing pointless about purging the universe of alien scum in the name of humanity.

it's quite literally the other way around

It was intended to be antifacist, but it only a 5/10 movie at best as a satire.

Its a great movie if you just watch it as Space nazi's from south america go to war with space bugs movie and have the Nazi's as good guys.

He one of those "That guys". He doesn't have the looks to be a leading man, but stayed busy being a top notch actor who could play the bad guy or tough good guy.

The film had nothing to do with the book. It was an original script and they bought the license when people noticed some similarities between the two, probably just to avoid a lawsuit.

just watched it today again. How does this movie hold up so well? DESU CGI at certain scenes look outdated, but it i still watchable, and combination of cgi/practical effects of bugs still holds up same as jurrasic park. And how the hell they allowed movie with such violence come out, they just don't make them like this now.

They're in a war for survival. That might sound pointless to a nihilist like yourself, but to everyone else it would be quite meaningful.

The bugs have no interest in humanity besides self-defense. The initial attack was a literal false flag.

No evidence of this whatsoever.

yep

He's from Brazil you moron.

Yes, but the character is filipino. He literally speaks tagalog in the book.

The movie is perfect for two reasons.
1. Its a fukken sick bug hunt movie
2. If you've read the book and have a brain you can see the movie is a movie within the book world. Its literally propoganda based off the books main character and his exploits. Masterful.

Good movie.

I just passed my macro final and im really happy but i dont have any froends to tell. Thanks for listening.

Brilliant movie and definitely my favourite of all time.

That actually is now unironically hilarious with the current state of affairs
>Turn over a new leaf 'maybe nogs arn't so bad.'- killed by darkie
and they would probobly say
>DAS RITE, WYT BOI - Leftie white neckbeard

>implying false flagging to generate public support necessary to justify your war of alien genocide is somehow wrong

The only Argies i can stand

Don't see how you fascfags can enjoy this movie knowing that it's Paul Verhoeven's cock in your face mocking you for your beliefs

Fascfags don't have the self-awareness to realize they'd be culled for the betterment of their fantasy society, let alone when someone is mocking them to their face.

satire fails because people are stupid, so it's not the stupid people's fault but the movie is to blame

lmao you know it's a masterful piece of satire, when the people it's laughing at unironically defend it.

Of course, as a distraction let's waste shitloads of manpower and material fighting giant bugs literally half a galaxy away!

Cool shit, dude, keep at it.

Gonna have to kill those bugs eventually anyway. Better to do it before they become a problem.

Yeah its better to teach kids that they aren't responsible for their actions. To hate their gender and to think there is no such thing as facts.

Cool movie
Nothing to do with the book

Dizzy best grill

In the book he a Filipino Brazilian

Congrats user

never pass up a good thing user

Thanks fren

No, the satire is done poorly, it not that people are dumb. I can tell that it was intended as satire, it fails to be good satire. But it works much better as a pro-facism film. Verhoeven was clear what he intended to do, and failed.

Still is a good movie, for all the reasons why Verhoeven didn't intend.

>he believes Argentina was an inside job
LMAO

Starship Troppers isn't set in America m8

Congratulations user. Hope you become a great citizen one day.

It helps me to not know who the fuck is Paul whatever, and even if I knew who he was, I see no reason to care about his opinion, he is a literally who to my life.

They're so cute! CUTE! Imagine this scene in an anime, holy shit.

Yep, the blonde is actually Amy Smart in a early early role.

Kino
>but that 4k meme

>Quick, Watkins is about to black her!

If you think this is pro fascist you are literally retarded

/thred

How does fighting a brainless horde of giant bugs that rip you to shreds while just being replaced like nothing happened makes fascism appealing

Diz was pure

he was obviously referencing the society not the war you fucking brainlet

Aint the fact that the society makes you fight those fucking bugs a reflection that it fucking sucks you stupid faggot?

>The government gets to control who elects the government
>Civilians are still treated as disposable people

There's no way this isn't going to be abused

No? Its a reflection of a united humanity under one goal. How dumb are you?

that mockery is a failure because he's trying to mock it by showing us a united humanity of no crime, prosperity and civil responsibility that has not only reached the stars but is capable of seizing them.

J-just let the Falklands go already. You lost - deal with it.

military service is completely optional retard

This. The film is a bad attempt at parody and the book is a great science fiction novel with more meaning to it than most non fiction modern “””literature”””

I hate to break this to you, user.....

>propaganda film depicts a perfect world
shocking. well i'm convinced, sign me up to the naziboo society.
nevermind that everyone is disfigured or killed within 8 seconds of engaging combat with bugs. sounds like fun.

You need to enlist to become a citizen you fuckface

not that guy, and I am the first to say it wasn't intended to be Pro-fascist, but since as a satire it fails, and as a bug hunt/presenting a idealized fascist world of gorgeous people living and sacrificing themselves for the greater good it works too well, it becomes a pro fascist movie.

It not that this movie is too smart and it goes over people heads, it too simplistic and goes under people head.

The movie shows a militarist/Facist setting, and adds a few "heehee" moments, so it can easily fit as being cheesy on a science fiction film about hunting space bugs that shoot plasma out of their asses and tear people apart in gruesome detail. It also a dumb satire that if watch for satire, is just yet another stupid film.

but if you watch it as a pro-miltarism/Facism movie with cheesy intervials since well, the premise is hunting bugs, and Rico, Dizzy, and Rasczak all being deeply like-able and Rasczak actually being compelling on that theory side, and it removes the noxious racial aspects of Fascism, suddenly you have a compelling pro-Fascist movie.

The bugs are colonizing the galaxy. It's fight or die at that point. And even then, no one was forced to fight. They had to enlist.

and yet people like Rico's parents are perfectly content with not being citizens and even have a good life

This is literally false

then don't become a citizen? Being a citizen isn't mandatory

people have lived their entire lives without citizen ship, Rico's parents for example never became citizens and live on a mansion.

Its optional

Starship Troopers fails as a satire because the world it's attempting to satirize is one that has many very attractive features. A world in which humanity has reached out to the stars, where great effort and sacrifice is rewarded, where peoples energies are given direction and meaning, where there doesn't appear to be any poverty or social ailments; a world united in singular unity and purpose. You can't present the audience with all of that and then say "look how silly this all is". Human nature inherently desires order and hierarchy and the Terran Federation is the epitome of that.

Ironsides' lecture at the beginning has airs of truth to it that can't be denied no matter how much you would want to. Violence, the commission of or the mere threat of, is indeed the ultimate authority. Unwarranted violence does cause problems of course, but it also violence that, when warranted, fixes those same problems as well. When you have a belligerent nation that invades its neighbors are people's expressions of deep concern ever going to solve the problem?

He is also right in that something given has no value. We've all seen how abused 'free' things are; value, after all, comes from investment. Some one who has invested their time, effort, blood sweat and tears into something will value it much greater than some one who was just given it for nothing. The privilege of voting, of exercising political force, is something that must have great value built into it, lest it be abused, mishandled, or left to wither away in apathy.

Starship Troopers shows us a reality that reflects the truth, and the truth can not be satirized.

You need to go back, kid. This is no place for your delicate sensibilities.

>>The government gets to control who elects the government
No they don't, you have a right to service and they'll find something for you to do.
>>Civilians are still treated as disposable people
No they aren't, their every need is met and they live lives of luxury, they just don't get to vote.
>There's no way this isn't going to be abused
Unlike the scheming career politicians the left idolises, the men and women who have volunteered to serve are honorable.

It might be my favourite film.

It isn’t though. You are just imagining that. The OOC explanation is that Paul Hackdersuckencocken wanted to show how fascism is like, bad man. I mean fuck, he didnt even read the book and is mad that a true to the book version of the movie is being produced.

Diz is a THOT
Carmen is literally the girl next door.

Oh wow you didn't even attempt a rebuttal
I thought you fascfags liked competition. not running away like pussies.

the bugs are a metaphor for the enemy, not actuality bugs you big dummy

All the brainlets in this thread are the ones who didn't pay attention to this scene.

>autism

Nah.

If you create a world where fascism is necessary, don't be surprised if people find it appealing. There's only one character who proposes peace with the bugs, take note of what happens to him. Most people would prefer fascism over that.

this

Yah.

Read the thread for a rebuttal, or just stop moving the goalposts.
>It’s satire u dumb fascists lol
But it depicts a utopian society
>well d-duh it’s propoganda :(
So, Fascism is bad because fascism is bad, ergo the film depicting it as great must be a satire because only an evil fascist empire would make propoganda showing fascism as good because it is clearly evil wrong bad.
Idiot

>implying movie made in Heinlein's Federation would show human wave attacks that would make the Chinese blush, while the actual fighting was done in nuclear-armed jetpack exoskeletons
doesn't add up

>Fascism is bad because fascism is bad
This is honestly the only argument I've heard in favour of this film being (a successful) satire.

So is it satire or is it propaganda? Can't be both.

Pretty much, nothing I didn't know and agreed to already but I guess its nice seeing someone put it on screen.

Based

Dude, you're trying too hard. It's propaganda in the heinlein-verse - propaganda, user, which must be entertaining and appealing to find a foothold in the minds of the masses. People don't watch movies about killing machines: we watch movies about people.
Fuck, even the most noxious giant robot anime has characters driving the plot, jesus.

Not him and I honestly have no idea what you two are talking about.

But not bring super robot anime into the fight. Leave it out, its pure and its mine.

>Dude, you're trying too hard.

>he thinks Heinlein's Mobile Infantry were robots
get the fuck out of this thread nigger

That’s because it’s the only argument
>it’s a satire u idiots don’t you know that fascism is bad and the director is a liberal who hates fascism :((
Every time. Without fail man, it’s all so tiresome

im pretty sure youre just too stupid to get the satire

I doubt you would recognize or even admit when satire is done poorly.

Explain it to us then.

Read the thread brainlet

How would Heinlein have felt about this movie if he were alive to see it released?

No, user. What you've failed to grasp is that this film is loved and watched by the right wing. Not the left.
That makes it fascism propaganda kino, not satire, silly user.

>implying this isn't bait
Seriously though, it wouldn't be hard to make it obvious satire. You'd just add a bunch of scenes showing the evil fascists doing evil fascist things that are in-universe treated as good but that the audience recognizes as evil. Like the public flogging of civilians, or government officials telling people about their moral (and/or legal) obligation to kill themselves if they should ever become a burden upon the state, or the open hatred of evil groups within their society like the evil not-jews who need to still be rooted out (which is why they killed your neighbour who was critical of the government; he was a not-jew!), or whatever.

Instead, at best we get subtle shit like the implication that buenos aires was a false flag or, again, the implication that the mormon settlement was deliberately set up in order to get massacred for much the same reason. But if you don't see the movie knowing that it's meant to be satire then these are easily interpreted as simple action movie tropes, much like the initial suicidal infantry waves. Not like you watch Commando and come out of it thinking that it was a brilliant satire of the military industrial complex and the american culture of violence or whatever. It's just an action movie about a guy blowing shit up and killing people.
Point is, if you have to tell the target audience that your satire is meant to be satire then you've failed at making good satire.

nice digits

really made me think

>the left loves seeing humanity getting torn to shreds by bugs
>the right likes to see humanity fighting back and persevering
There's something for everyone.

the left doesn't like gore or movies like Rambo and the like

is the book satire or does it take itself seriously?

Disappointed that the brainlet director missed the point of the book so hard.

I "get" the satire, it just done poorly. its all "Wink-Wink", and fails since the actual federation is a better place to live then what we have currently.

Torn to shreds "by bugs". Liberals aren't called "Bugmen" for no reason.

The book takes itself seriously, and it has the "Service means citizenship" with rocket powered armored suits with nuclear weapons.

Now it is 1950s science fiction, with all the bonuses and minuses of that era of science fiction.

that's fucking hilarious. based verhoeven

It is hypothetically perfect and I honestly no shit believe that but it does seem like it could be easily manipulated. Its that thing where because people arent perfect a perfect society inherently seems impossible and the best you could do is merely strive for it.

The movie ties and fails to be antifascist, the book as far as I understand it is interpreted as either neutral or pro.

Fun movie. I hope you enjoy it.

>Point is, if you have to tell the target audience that your satire is meant to be satire then you've failed at making good satire.

XD ya. Except he didn’t read the book, the movie being a pisstake of one of the greatest sci-fi novels ever written is completely unintentional lol.

Because he fails spectacularly. He spent mong months of his life trying to craft and antifascist movie and all he did was make it look cool as fuck.

>In a 2014 interview on The Adam Carolla Show, actor Michael Ironside, who read the book as a youth, said he asked Verhoeven, who grew up in Nazi-occupied Netherlands, "Why are you doing a right-wing fascist movie?" Verhoeven replied, "If I tell the world that a right-wing, fascist way of doing things doesn't work, no one will listen to me. So I'm going to make a perfect fascist world: everyone is beautiful, everything is shiny, everything has big guns and fancy ships, but it's only good for killing fucking bugs!"

>make a movie about a society that is perfect at X
>only show it doing X
>make compelling arguments in the plot about why this society exists and why its better than democracy (Ironside's speech about force being the ultimate authority).
>make a further compelling argument that something given has no value
>Then have Ironside blatantly tell the MC to use his own free will to decide what he wants to do.
>hurr durr it was satire you morons

Off the top of my head Verhoeven could of:
>cut out all the Ironside dialogue that shows structured reasoning behind the federation
>Have Ironside tell Rico he has a duty to the Federation to join up

Films are subjective and completely separate of what a director wants to show. Sure he may of intended to make a satire film but apart from a few cheezy recruitment adds he fails miserably. A director doesn't get to go "no i make this film satire therefore its satire", he only gets to say "my intent was to make a satire film hopefully it comes across that way."

read a book, nigger

so.. was this debunked in the sequels?

>Goebbels was touring German schools. At one, he asked the students to call out patriotic slogans.
>“Heil Hitler,” shouted one child.
>“Very good,” said Goebbels.
>“Deutschland über alles,” another called out.
>“Excellent. How about a stronger slogan?”
>A hand shot up, and Goebbels nodded.
>“(((Our people))) shall live forever,” the little boy said.
>“Wonderful!” exclaimed Goebbels.
key to understanding the movie as satire is understanding that verhoeven thinks that if the fascists realized it was satire then they'd have him killed. thus he made it super subtle so only those truly in the know would understand. bugs are not bugs. bugs are human. you see? laugh at stupid fascist thinking they are bugs. laugh at them.

Finally found the song
youtube.com/watch?v=yGZgs-Uutzw

See? Right there, Verh. could have made an anti fascist film; but he didn't, did he?

>it depicts a utopian society
>it’s propoganda
That's kind of what propaganda does, there's no way of knowing how well is life on earth at all based on it, they will be the best, their enemies will the worse, that' as it always is.

I honestly doubt that asteroid actually came from Klendathu and if it did i doubt it was intentional.

Kid, you dun goofed.

Is that a true story about Joe? Sounds like WW2 myth, but truth is stranger than fiction and all that. Like what a brave little Jew.

Verhoeven says in the DVD commentary that the bugs sent to asteroid as retaliation for the mormon intrusion. If you've got a problem with that interpretation, take it up with him.

Oh, so it's not in the actual movie? Interesting non-canonical view.

That’s why it is shite at being satire. We are just supposed to assume Earth society is bad because “fascism is wrong bad evil”
We aren’t shown this to be true and instead see plenty of evidence to the contrary, along with a solid foundation of rhetoric and reason to back up the society portrayed in Starships Troopers

So, leftist religious zealots started the whole fucking war?

>send a massive asteroid across the galaxy in any timeframe under 1 million years by knocking off course with their ass plasma
>manage to hit their target

I feel Verhoeven was just phoning in the plot at this stage

>the bugs sent to asteroid as retaliation for the mormon intrusion
seems kinda extreme, especially considering they already killed those mormons.

>movie is satire because director says so
>it was an inside job even if the director says it wasn’t
Retard theory thought up by lefties grasping at straws. This isn’t Forever War, there is no false flag.

>The humans are shown to be absolutely retarded for the vast majority of them film
>It's propaganda
If anything it's propaganda for the bugs.

I’m not sure what weapon was used in the book but it was probably as implausible. It’s science fiction, gotta suspend disbelief just a little bit ;)
But ya, writing could have been better

there is absolutely nothing in the movie to even hint at the merest suggestion that the asteroid was a false flag or the mormon colony was intentionally allowed to be set up and massacred. I don't understand where people are getting these ideas other than "unrealistic sci-fi things happen in an unrealistic sci-fi movie"

>mfw Rico meets with his dad again at the end of the book

I was not saying anything about it being a satire, i just said you can't know anything about a world based on propaganda because it will always show a perfect world and justify any action by, say, using random events as excuses.

IIRC there wasnt anything like that in the book. Most of the book is the mechanized jump troopers dealing with 'skinnies' who are basically standard aliens. Bugs only form a small part of the book. Altho i could be mis remembering its been a few years since ive read it

Well it’s a great propoganda flick then mate. No objections here

Pre-9/11 film interpreted by Post-9/11 audience.

Does that not happen in the movie? What the fuck man that was the best part. Except for the drill instructor heading back to the front line, that was great too

no in the film everyone fucking dies at least in Rico's home city. He has no family left

Didn’t Rico’s mom die in Buenos Aires when the bugs attacked it or something?

99% of the American population knows 9-11 was not an inside job, the other 1% voted for Trump.

>Read Starship Troopers after seeing the movie and hearing how booty-blasted the book made a lot of people for being "fascist"
>It's a genuine love letter to the military and a discussion of the social contract and how it relates to military service
>"This is cool, I'm going to read more of his work"
>Read Stranger in a Strange Land
>DUDE FREE LOVE LMAO
>MONEY IS BOGUS
>YOU CAN GET SUPERPOWERS IF YOU JUST OOOOPEEEN YOUUUR MIIIIIIND
>Read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
>THE RIGHT TO TRADE ON THE FREE MARKET IS THE MOST FUNDAMENTAL HUMAN RIGHT THERE IS
>NO SUCH THING AS A FREE LUNCH, ANARCHO-CAPITALISM IS THE WAY
>GOVERNMENT GET OUT REEEEEE

I still have no idea what Heinlein actually believed in, his books directly contradict each other.

Biggest change is there are more alien races out there, yeah. Arachnids are also way more advanced in the book with actual weaponry and shit.

War-fighting in general is passed over fairly quickly in the book without much focus put to it. It's more about politics and the theory of citizen-service. Any scenes depicting the war are used for backdrop.

Bruh. What the fuck. [/spoiler]I legit cry at the end of the book when Rico and his dad are together about to go on a drop. I love you dad. I miss you[/spoiler]

CTRL+S, user.

the rest of the world thinks it wasn't an inside job but rather a "we will look the other way" situation that allowed it.

He just wanted a pro military service before self non communist society of free people getting down and dirty BOW CHICKA BOW BOW killing commie bugmen and trading their services voluntarily and then sucky sucky me love you long time.
Also read Time Enough For Love. It’s smut kino

Liked Starship Troopers. Read Armor. Seems like identical premise, but much more focused on psychology of the characters. It also has a fucking PHENOMENAL ending when it all clicks together.

Sorry I’m mobile fag. Deleting because don’t want to spoil shit

Its because Verhoeven completly butchered the book. The only things similar between the book and the movie is the name. He should of just called it something else

>I still have no idea what Heinlein actually believed in, his books directly contradict each other.

I have no idea why people get so hung up on his beliefs. Can't a dude write fiction without being psychoanalyzed for it?

>this is what lefties actually believe

Maybe he should have called it bug hunt at outpost 9 or something ha ha, instead of butchering one of Science Fiction’s greatest classics

It was called something else. It was supposed to be an original film until they bought the rights to Starship Troopers and grafted it onto the script.

some say the bugs were provoked

Ya don’t bully the Dean of science fiction. Unlike most other Science Fiction writers *cough Asimov and Clarke* he didn’t need to let his ideology dominate his writing

>Can't a dude write fiction without being psychoanalyzed for it?

Not when his books are incredibly preachy for whatever world-view they hold.

It's one thing to describe characters and events, it's another thing entirely for the story to pause so a character can deliver a 2 page monologue on the failure of democratic states at instilling civic loyalty in its people.

It's why we still give Sam Raimi shit for having Uncle Ben deliver that ethnostate manifesto during his death scene.

Everyone should read the book. Movie is totally different and basically just a cliffnotes version of the novel. Sergeant Zim is also an incredible character there with much more attention given.

Someone who writes fiction without pedantism? No wonder the left hates him.

kek. But come on, in universe character’s belief =/= author belief.

>Brain Bugs!? Frankly, I find the idea of a bug that thinks offensive!
My favourite part of that scene though is when the little old woman is trying to get a word in and stamps on his foot to make him shutup.

Yeah, but as user pointed he covered multiple ideologies equally with his works.

Behold the left in all it's self-righteous glory! So blind to the truth they shoot themselves in the foot. Couldn't have posted anything stupider if you'd tried, kid.
Just stop.

He was mostly just a contrarian. The authors of his time genuinely thought they were writing the future into being, no different than the leftists of today.

Armor is fucking incredible, both as science fiction and as military fiction.
You are what you do when it counts

Violence is the ultimate political force.

Right, and that's what's so unique about it. The guy writes each book as if he's genuinely preaching his ideals through blatant self-inserts (the school teacher in Starship Troopers, the professor in Harsh Mistress). If you only read Starship Troopers you can genuinely get the feeling that he's dog-whistling actual nazis.

>he didn’t condemn something zat we think is verboten!
>zis means we must condemn him!
Ya because artistic integrity is an old fashioned concept that we need to get rid off ASAP

>leaving his position of sergeant to go back to a private and fight bugs.
what a legend.

It's almost like left-wing idealogues are actually funtionally retarded.
And, yes, I DID say 'fun'tionally....they keep adorably eating their own shit, and I find that funny. It's too bad that thinking yer smart don't actually make you smart.

Well, who's the more legendary - the hero who performs life-saving deeds, or the teacher who taught him?

The hero.

Which just reveals how much of the dude's bibliography most of his complainers have read.

He is both. Truly the GOAT

Exactly, based gentleanons.

So basically, entire deal about citizens is you get to vote?

And go into politics.

Yeah, but it's not like non-citizens are put down in any way or treated as, well, second class citizens. Most people have no interest in going through it, which tells a lot about the society in the setting, and army actively seeks to discourage or flunk as many candidates as possible.

Pretty sure in the books if you put in the effort but get discharged anyway you still get full citizenship.

in the film it barely touches on the subject but yes essentially. The film alludes that only servicemen and women get to vote. In the book it states that 'service' includes basically any public job like nursing or road working and that its a fundamental right that a civilian be allowed to serve and its the federations responsibility to find that person a job.

So I told [Carl] I was joining up, too.
He gave me an odd look. “Your old man won’t let you.”
“Huh? How can he stop me? And of course he couldn’t, not legally. It’s the first completely
free choice anybody gets (and maybe his last); when a boy, or a girl, reaches his or her eighteenth
birthday, her or she can volunteer and nobody else has any say in the matter. [Ch. II,
p.21]
Furthermore, it is made clear that no citizen who wants to enlist can be turned down for any reason,
except for lacking the mental competence to understand the decision. The doctor giving Juan
his induction physical examination makes this plain:
I asked one of the doctors what percentage of the victims flunked the physical. He looked
startled. “Why, we never fail anyone. The law doesn’t permit us to.”
“Huh? I mean, excuse me, Doctor? Then what’s the point of this goose-flesh parade?”
“Why, the purpose is […] to find out what duties you are physically able to perform. […]
The only way you can fail is by having the psychiatrists decide that you are not able to understand
the oath.” [Ch. II, p.29]

>nitrosyncretic.com/pdfs/nature_of_fedsvc_1996.pdf

IIRC, not all service is even military, you might end up serving on a isolated outpost or so one that is risky but society needs it.

I also seem to recall if you get maimed you still get service, and the miltary will take care of you for life.

Kino scene.

Well, as I recall the main character at least dreads some of his prospects if he does poorly, like ending up testing new weapons or technology or doing other things that can get you dead fast.
Been a long time since I read it though. All I really remember well is the K-9 corps just because of how weird it was.
>The K-9 Corps is an elite division of the Terran Federation Army. Troopers are trained with neodogs, dog-like creatures genetically enhanced that serve as elite scouts.
>Soldiers in K-9 are selected after intense psychological evaluation, as the bond between the soldier and his neodog (or "caleb") is more intense than any human marriage or relationship. If the master is killed, the neodog is killed at once. If the dog is killed, doctors restrain the master and slowly put his mind back together.

Should've put that in the movie.

Yeah, a lot of the cool stuff was taken out of the movie.

fkin saved

Rico from Buenos Aires is actually Filipino

Teach me more.

And he never speaks it in the movie. Been at least 20 years since I read the book.

I went to high school with that bug

>you will never make a death pact with your 50 IQ mates before dropping and purging bugs
Unironiccally feels bad man

I feel like that was just him trying to cope with the fact he got cucked hard.

For Rico maybe, the others seemed quite happy.I thought of it as a US MUHRINE CORPS moment

>missing the point this badly

>living in a society constantly being fed and amped with propaganda blaming external factors 100%
>bullshit info being circulated (a few sprays to kill a bug, when in reality shitloads of bullets are needed)
>numerous false flags, with countless deaths just to keep this shit up (bug meteor from half a galaxy away???)
>lead by retarded (dude just random plasma lights lmao) or pussy (the knife commandant hiding his tard ass inside the closet) leaders
>all veterans that actually fought are crippled and disabled, if they survive
>picking a fight with a species that is fine on its own (nice job feeding more info to the brain bugs)
>wastage of loads of materials in said fight
>continued suffering and death for the lower ranks, who are all drones getting angry at whatever boogeyman (((they))) direct to hate
This is a terrible fascist society, if you're looking for unironic depictions there are better ones.

And guess what, satire being this good is what keeps this movie from being forgotten, hell it'll be remembered for years after this, as there's plenty to be talked about. Actual straight fascist movies don't last long - they're boring.
It's good too that it's subtly made, so that brainlets only see the bread-and-circus surface and would still enjoy them, kek.

How does the same director that made this make Basic Instinct?

You need to do much better around here, son.

Robocop was verhoeven kino

This is unironically my favorite film of all times.

Have fun, OP.

It was alright.
>capitalism is ebil
meh

Finally watching the rest of the Starship Trooper films and currently halfway through 3. The second film was some weird body horror shit but I enjoyed it, the third so far is a little better but still nothing compared to the first. Hopefully people aren't lying when they say the animated ones are better.

I'll never get this.

Klendathu is literally on the other side of the fucking galaxy. Even if that's a completely different reality, that's at least 50,000 light years away.

This means that:
>the Terran Federation is capable of FTL travel, which would mean it's technology is unmachable even for beings much advanced than the insects
>the insects are capable of FTL meteor shooting, which is completely absurd
>or mankind would still have been literal pre-cave people australopithecus when the Insects learned about and and sent the very first meteor, 100,000 years ago.

What is the lore behind this? It can't possible be "people in the future are retarded and don't know what galaxies are although they have normal space travel".

Imagine throwing a rock at some cave apes in a planet on the other side of the galaxy only to be attacked by them 100,000 years later.

read the thread, people understand it just fine
if anyone's dumb it's the director for failing to make effective satire

>What is the lore behind this?
False flag attacks.

Alternatively, #movielogic if you want to ignore the satire and turn it into fascism fun.

Maybe the bugs didn't drop the meteor at all.

So it's "people in the future are retarded and don't know what galaxies are although they have normal space travel"?

This is pretty bad.

the issue is not the effective satire, mainstream audiences understood it just fine.

The issue is you neckbeards are so low IQ you see shallow surface-level stuff for face value. i.e. "this toaster is shiny" instead "a toaster makes toast"

>didn't read the thread
>spews autistic spittle
what about this film has this thread demonstrated a lack of understanding of?

what does Cred Forums misunderstand about return of the king?

No, son: the issue is that NO ONE watches this movie for muh satire. You are deluded. As deluded as verhoeven. You fail to grasp, as he fails to grasp, that he made a fascist film. He may have INTENDED it to be anti-fascist, but he failed.
Now, go on and tell us big bad men we missed his 'satire' again.

>behold the entrancing shovel!
I don't know why but I laughed at that

The bugs are shown to be as capable if not more capable than humans in every aspect. The teacher in the beginning even gushes at their superiority. She even said they could target planets with their spores. If humans can launch things FTL there's no reason to think the bugs can't too. It's movie logic, not real life.

>I know it's satire but I choose to ignore that fact because it's contrary to my edgy dogmatic views
w e w
e
w

I ignore it because the director did a piss poor job at it

>meh

>t.amerifat

good on you OP. how's the transfer look?

much better than the blu ray from 2008

maybe they didn't attack from across the galaxy and instead attacked from a different colony?

>>I know it's satire
How do you know?

>only two fucking years.

Jesus verhoven, you're trying to make a satire here.

I own it on 4k also. Watched it with my girlfriend she thought it was kino. To be honest it's hard for me to tell 4k apart from 1080p which is kinda disappointing, maybe 8k will be the real jump but that'll be in ten more years and I'll be blind as shit by then.

well that's good. Older CGI has a tendency to look bad in higher resolutions, so its a good sign that it got transferred well.

its not good satire. It is SyFy schlock (which I love SyFy schlock) with a bunch of "Wink-wink" moments that don't actually make it into a actual satire, even if it was the intent, but add s cheese to the SyFy schlock. There are three good actors with important roles in this film. Ironside is playing his guy who explains the fascism without Irony, and actually since he plays a likable guy, it works. You have Doogie Howser who understands it a satire, but he disappears half way in the first act, and then does not appear till the end of the 3rd act. Then you have the character actor Clancy Brown playing a sarge. The rest of the actors are gorgeous people who are running around in Fascist costumes without getting the joke. The wink wink scenes are so damn poorly done (the talking head segment, some of the more over the top propaganda stuff) that it barely registers.

This ignores the fact that for the most part, the Terran republic is not a bad place to live.

Then what you have left? Really good looking cast of perfect proportions of all races fighting space bugs, a double love triangle, special effects that hold up after 20+ years, and a decent "bug hunt" plot and action sequences.

Yes, I know it intended as a satire. As much as I like the directors work, he never been noted for being subtle. So you can watch the film one of two ways.

A really bad satire that doesn't work well on Fascism, or a fun bug hunt SyFy schlock that if you ignore the crappy satire winks, is actually a decent movie that is unique as it has compelling far right characters.

It a 2/10 satire and a 8/10 movie of space nazi's from south america killing bugs.

Even their military service requirement is less than ours today - yeah, brilliant damned satire, indeed.

Nobody gives a shit

Only communists like this movie. The book is much more intelligent and actually good.

>only communists like a movie about fascism

>lol u guise just don't UNDERSTAND THE SATIRE
>BBUENOS AIRES WAS A FALSE FLAG
>director comes out and goes yeh lol bug did buenos aires and the satire part was how the society is perfect but all they can do with their perfect society is kill bugs
english majors should be executed

They think it’s too deep for you next level satire. The director didn’t even read the book and inserted and made up anti-fascism shit, most of which don’t stand up to any scrutiny.

Yeah, the Romans was 25 years or something IIRC

Does anyone know if the blu-ray is a new transfer as well or is it the same as pic related?

I think it's just the old one packaged in with the 4k

based

based

>Military is as if not more incompetent than the bugs they are fighting, get most of their troops unnecessarily killed
>Beautiful people are the ones who have yet to go to war, the older people are presented as cripples - recruiting guy missing legs, scientist lady blinded, ironside's stump of an arm
>Really dubious justice system, person charged, convicted and sentenced to death within a day. Entire population forced to watch execution.
>Is the quality of life depicted for civilians brought about by the government system, or the fact the movie's set in the future with superior technology and resource access?

Cred Forums is stupid enough to think this is a utopia