Why so hated?

Reboot with completely new cast and story, not pandering to 90s nostalgia as Hollywood likes to do now. Well executed action and adventure bits. Great looking sets and special effects. Even universe building went smoother than in BvS, as here it serves plot purpose unlike forced video clips in DC movie for nothing.
Tom Cruise giving 100% as usual and even showing a bit of comedy talent. Very interesting and intriguing mummy actress. Self-aware Russell Crowe.
Why is this movie so hated? Not just disliked, it's hated with passion. Why?

Inb4 "shilling", I just want to talk, it's not like there are 15 Black Panther totally not shilling threads, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f1jg5YlQuT8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I think the movie was just too screwball for people to enjoy

>Tom Cruise giving 100% as usual
Not going to argue with that. He always puts his back into whatever he's doing.
>even showing a bit of comedy talent.
Now that I'd disagree with, though. The humour felt misjudged.

It could have been better - there were a few subplots too many, even beyond what's necessary for setting up a cinematic universe, and the other lead (the blonde lady?) had no real chemistry with Cruise and felt like dead weight.

Still, no real reason to loathe it. Even for its flaws, i'd still liked to have seen what they were gonna do with all these old monster movie properties. But I guess that whole dark universe thing's not going ahead anymore, is it? I dunno.

I agree, there are clearly screwball style elements, but that's also nice throwback. It takes itself bit more serious than screwball movies tho.

The movie felt rushed and slapped together the sidekick character to me was the worst thing about it and then the reveal that Tom Cruise has become the mummy or something at the end? I have no fucking clue what he became actually.

I haven't watched it yet for and reason and I'm a big Cruiser.

I would do anything for Ahmanet

Mummy movies have the best waifus. Always did.

can't disagree
glad to see female mummy once again
it's been a while since Hammer movie

You won't see this, but main reason is coz it doesn't pander to SJW.
>handsome male lead
>sexy, attractive females
>woman villain
>the only black guy is 1st one to die
>villain is clearly sexualized. Kills with a kiss, tied up in suggestive bondage, obviously sexual tension
>Tom Cruise becoming a god. Symbolism of scientology taking highest spot
Believe or not, if this movie has been released 10 years ago it would be a hit.

It's mostly coz of Brendan-obsesed "fans" who don't know any other Mummy movies.
This one is closer to 1932, Boris Karloff one that only true movieloverse remember. It follows mummy's romance/seduction plot.
In addition, movie takes place in London, which is a throwback to 50s "Mummy" remake.
General audience is just pleb, they think Mummy is only Brendan and Brendan. Hope worldwide boxoffice (410M) is enough and they decide to continue, Dark Universe is nice alternative to colorful MCU superheroes.
Loved how movie keeps grim, dark tone. Church and crypt scenes were 10/10.

No I'm her best slave. Back off.

Because people don't like remakes/reboots for the most part, people don't like Tom Cruise because Scientology, and because it wasn't Marvel. Not nearly enough quips to remind them to have fun. And generally people aren't into more serious-themed movies these days, not since Man of Steel and The Dark Knight series.
Also hating it is borderline meme level

>tfw no setepai to rule the world with

It's a okay movie by the MCU standards. Do you really want us judging it by MCU standards though?

No Brendan = no mummy

OP never mentioned MCU tho.
MCU would greenscreen this.

I just wanna hold her hand

This. Brendanfags are just too blind. They do not even realise Mummy (as a monster/horror figure) was originally female and comes from Bram Stoker (Dracula guy) novel "Jewel of Seven Stars".
When I asked people about "old mummy" only handfull of them brought Boris Karloff one up.

>mmmmmmmppphhhhhhh
What did she mean by this?

me too, and then look into her twin eyes, give her a hug

The film flip flopped top harshly between slapstick and serious. Every single joke or 'bit' fell flat. The story was boring. Tom didn't fit the role. The action was uninspiring and boring. What was with the dream zombie friend? It just didn't fit.

The ONLY positive a our this film was the mummy.

1/3 the theatre walked out also. Me. And my friends stayed to see how much more we could cringe.

Respecting your opinion, but explain this a bit
>action was uninspiring
If I remember right there is 1 very spectacular scene with plane crash. It was shot in zero gravity jet. That's 1st time ever in a blockbuster action movie. This is all but uninspiring.

Me too
>give in

This part made me laugh, mate. The plane wasnt in a parabolic fall it was plummeting straight down and they were floating around inside itx that's not how gravity works.

absolute lewdest screencap from the movie?

The trailer showed it to be a completely different movie then it was. I was pretty disappointing.

youtube.com/watch?v=f1jg5YlQuT8

because it's a fucking mess, genuinely don't understand Cred Forums's obsession with this movie

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ !

Not sure, but licking scene is one of my top choices.
Ahmanet is just personified sex, she's 100% lewd.

Ahhhhhh ahhh ahah AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. No

I think it is hated coz Americans do not like Tom Cruise. Universal stopped giving a shit. Almost every Tom Cruise movie is doing over 70% box office overseas. Foreign audience liked this movie. Even without china it made solid numbers.

The only good thing about this movie is the waifufagging, nothing else. Its a shit movie.

The Mummy sucked because
>90% of the dialog is expository bullshit (ie: "We are not looters, we are protectors of ancient artifacts," "now my soul is cursed to wander the earth until you..." "she must collect the blood stone and insert it into the dagger so that she can extract vengeance..." "oh my god, she's in my head," "welcome to Not-Shield, where we prepare for the sequels of his world of monsters..."
>film stops for an hour to advertise all the sequels
>the Mummy's plan makes no sense. Why did she need to make a pact with the devil if she was just going to cut their throats in their sleep?
>why were there Templars in a Mummy movie?
>Tom Cruise getting attacked by CGI rats because...?
>the escape from the lab was really hamfisted. She controls someone with a spider bite? Wouldn't it have been more interesting if she persuaded Cruise to help her? She can fool him into driving in a circle, but she can't persuade him to do anything else?
>the whole London glass storm thing was stupid. It felt like they were on a closed set. Nobody got hurt. What was the point of breaking all the windows in London?
>the final fight is just the Mummy picking up and throwing Cruise around. Really boring, lazy choreography.
The film could have been good, but they did everything wrong. I'd say it's even worse than capeshit.

>90% of the dialog is expository bullshit (ie: "We are not looters, we are protectors of ancient artifacts," "now my soul is cursed to wander the earth until you..." "she must collect the blood stone and insert it into the dagger so that she can extract vengeance..." "oh my god, she's in my head," "welcome to Not-Shield, where we prepare for the sequels of his world of monsters..."
agree, too much exposition.
>film stops for an hour to advertise all the sequels
Showing 3 jars for few seconds is hardly advertising sequels.
>the Mummy's plan makes no sense. Why did she need to make a pact with the devil if she was just going to cut their throats in their sleep?
Pharaog is god. Killing him means death penatly. Since she was the only one able to stay close to him, they would easly track her down. She needed a powerful ally.
>why were there Templars in a Mummy movie?
They stolen dagger and stone during crusades.
>Tom Cruise getting attacked by CGI rats because...?
It was just one of these visions, he was going insane.
>Wouldn't it have been more interesting if she persuaded Cruise to help her?
She tried to seduce him, there is another vision. She's chained but he sees her naked and trying to kiss her. Later dr Jekyll takes Cruise away. Spider was her only option.
>the final fight is just the Mummy picking up and throwing Cruise around.
Actually that was cool, pretty quick fight with a twist. Not another repetitive "epic boss fight battle for several minutes" trope.

It's not great, but not as bad either. It's breaking up with common tropes (mummy in London instead of typical Egypt, hero allowed to keep evil power, without sacrificing it to go back to point zero) brings new things, or makes nice homage to other Universal-related things. Quote at the begining, straight from Karloff "Mummy", Book of Living, from Brendan one, undead friend from, also Universal distributed, "American Werewolf in London", refreshing old "Lifeforce" by life-sucking kiss and more

>tom cruise
>been a long time since last mummy movie
>some people gonna waifu Ahmanet
>bondage in mainstream, that isn't Fifty Shades
>opening (or possibly closing too) a new universe. Believe or not, while marvel is popular among young, older audience wants alternative. Look at Dark Universe cast, mostly for older audience
Tom Cruise alone and upcoming star of Sofia Boutella are enough reasons