Japan's thoughts on TTGL

nicovideo.jp/watch/sm491534

>>Comments: "Disgusting" "Ripoff" "Wasn't that bad, but it's easy to tell how old people who say it's really good are" "stay the fuck out of SRW please" "The best robot anime were in the 80's" "Isn't the believe in me who believes in you thing a ripoff of Kamen Rider 555?"

>>"The so-called hotblood was too aimed for and badly written" "Throwing together tropes doesn't make a good show" "Only children like this rubbish" "I honestly found it boring" "Fake hotblood" "People say it's a homage but it's just a ripoff" "I don't think it's a ripoff, but the supposed hotbloodedness felt all wrong" "This is a parody right?"
>>I hate how the retards who like this tend to make fun of the shows it's an homage to

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FDj1KTha8go
youtube.com/watch?v=pxsb1jSfzuM
youtu.be/psoOQsHtUYA
youtube.com/watch?v=6hQp9JLb1hA
youtube.com/watch?v=NnS6DuLix9c
youtube.com/watch?v=h8QrzypoGek
youtube.com/watch?v=VIiX4TL2_vg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>image.jpg

>People like different things
Congratulations on finding this out by yourself!

TTGL is just a shitty kiddy ripoff of GaoGaiGar

But Cred Forums are a bunch of sissy sluts who only care about cock to know that.

>"Throwing together tropes doesn't make a good show"
>"Only children like this rubbish"
>"Wasn't that bad, but it's easy to tell how old people who say it's really good are"

They have a point though.

Are you the same guy making multiple threads.

For fuck's sake.

Japan proves it has shit taste yet again.

No, you prove that you're a gullible idiot yet again.

I for once am agreeing completely with the 11s

> Japanese fans have shit taste
Isn't it written on page 2 of any textbook?

Gurren Lagann, not so good

They're a bit too harsh, but they have the right idea.

For a series centered around action there is a disappointing lack of good fights.

TTGL has a number of problems but elevens not liking it isn't indicative of anything. No one has worst taste than the Japanese.

how highly you rate TTGL is inversely proportional to how many super robot anime and manga you've actually watched and read

its an average super robot show carried by genre convention and a good soundtrack and seiyuu cast

The reason you didn't make this thread on /m/ is because people on /m/ actually speak moonrunes

Sounds like a Jap SRW board, alright.

/m/ only has pipe dreams of being this bitter.

It was my first super robot show and I still thought it was average. It was pretty much worse than DBZ in every way except pacing and animation.

Japan has shit taste. We've been over this at least 1000 times at this point.

who cares

Yoko was a pretty good fap so I'm satisfied

>Nippons having bad taste
Shit next you'll tell me anime and manga are their only worthwhile cultural exports.

And good, unique animation. Ttgl is quite impressive in that regard, as well as having a literally theatrical quality final episode

Hilarious.

Japan, the country that actually experienced the genre all the way back to the 70s, are now accused of having shit taste for not liking a run of the mill super robot show.

The facts are pretty much on the table. Nakashima took all the plot points from Ken Ishikawa's Getter Robo Saga manga compilation and put it in a blender.

Oh wow, he was even the one in charge of compiling every Getter Robo entry for the futabasha edition.

Gee, I wonder why the nips feel that way about TTGL.

Hey now. It's not just mecha that nips have shit taste in.

>Show heavily inspired by good show
>Somehow isn't good
ok

You don't seem to get it do you? It's Cred Forums that has shit taste for liking a plebian anime like TTGL.

There are a lot of shows that I think I would hate if I watched it for the first time today rather than when I was an impressionable newfag.
Clannad, for example, and I'm a huge Kyoanifag.

And TTGL would be one of those shows*

Man Japan has some great taste.

Nakashima was talking about the Getter Robo Saga manga compilation, which he worked as a chief editor on, not the anime.

Just because you're inspired, doesn't make your product good. Nips call TTGL fake hot blood.

After seeing other super robot shows, I can confirm. Other SR may not have as good animation or direction, but they were genuinely hot blooded. TTGL was manufactured hot blood. An over engineered product made for the masses.

It's pretty much the worst thing you can accuse a nekketsu show of being, not just super robots.

TTGL rubs nips the wrong way for a simple reason. The show mocks the stupidity of previous past shows, but then is guilty of doing the same thing to advance its plot and characters.

That's what the guy who wrote this comment
>I hate how the retards who like this tend to make fun of the shows it's an homage to

actually meant.

>kyoanifag
Would you please fuck off, nice sir

Japs have shit taste in everything except food

are you an idiot? do you think they understand any of our comments through machine translation?

>manufactured hot-blood

This is so stupid. Just because it's a different type of hotblood from Getter Robo Go, for example, it doesn't mean it's fake/false/forces or whatever.

TTGL is a simple but well executed coming of age story that blends multiple classic mecha elements seemlessly. It's a parody and a love letter at the same time. It's just meant to be great fun and I understand that fun is subjective so opinions will always differ.

I just have no idea why some people get so butt-rustled over this anime.

Why are you posting some video from 2007 with no comments on it I hate /m/ autists

>It rips off kamen rider, therefore it is shit

Why the flying fuck was madoka so succesful then?

>different type of hotblood from Getter Robo Go,
Getter Robo Go didn't have much hot blood. In fact, it was a real robot series for nearly its entire magazine run. The ending was pretty much what TTGL took from, evolution.

Wasn't KLK also a Kamen Rider ripoff?

Not really, but the plot was super generic.

So I'm butt rustled because I didn't think it was anything special, or even fun?

I barely even remember TTGL. I only get reminded of it on Cred Forums, Otherwise I would have probably forgotten about it either way.

There's nothing much that stands out. The characters are paper thin archetypes, the story is generic for using evolution as its main theme, the action is really not good. I'm sorry. The amount of frames you put in the action doesn't change a single fact about the weak figh choreography.

Mecha fights are usually way more involved than two drills colliding, or other one shot attacks. In fact, this kind of fight is rather simplied and mundane, especially when you compare it even from a mecha show from the 70s, unless You're Godmars.

Yeah, Godmars is the only other mecha show I can think of that had worse choreography than TTGL.

even to a mecha show*

Why does t feel like i'm reading somethign that was written by AI,are nips so devoid of personality?

>Nips failing to understand that TTGL is the reconstruction to NGE's deconstruction

In a way, TTGL is the true End of Evangelion

>user failing to realize that GaoGaiGar was a reconstruction to NGE's deconstruction
In a way it's like none of you even watch anime.

Is it too late to nuke Japan again?

what if I told you right now that I disagree with you and that I had fun watching it

what then

Yes,Japan should have been nuked in 2007 before this abomination was even created.

You have been reading too much tv tropes, aren't you?

what's tv tropes?

>not a single JAM project song
>no sideburns
>no hot blooded yet cool commander/scientist
>gattai sequences are infrequent
>OP doesn't play during the battle in every episode
>no unconventional weapons such as yo-yos or tops
>not MotW
>doesn't even have a rocket punch
This isn't manime, this shit is for GIRLS.

HAHAHA weebs absolutely BTFO. Even Japan realizes that anime is trash.

If they'd put all that stuff in their over-the-top suparobo parody they'd just have gotten Aquarion 2.0.

It's literally the same plot you guy. That's not "inspiration" anymore it's straight up a rip off no matter how you want to put it.

I won't argue that TTGL is goat or anything, but Japan has notoriously shit taste.

so it's great is what you're saying

I haven't read it in a while but I remember Go being hootblooded as fuck, both in and out of the Getter. Then you have niggas like Schwartz added to the mix too along with the battles intensity calling for more and more crazy shit before the dino empire are back everything goes nuts with Shin Getter.

I mean yeah, it's different from the first Getter manga but it's silly to say it's barely hotblooded. Also having super robots in a military organisation means the series is Real? Fuck man I dont even know.

Regardless, TTGL was inspired by multiple parts of the Getter Manga saga but did its own thing with it. Its clear because the Getter Emperor/Evolution dillema is executed wildly differently from the Spiral Nemesis.

Alright, the fight choreography might be weaker but that doesn't make the action any less fun. I'd call it very short and blunt action that gains its impact through good direction and animation. The same could be said for the characters which were rather simple but still had heart and a general human depth to them that kept them exciting. The story itself has actual elements of Nietzsche alongside its metaphor of evolution, both for the individual man and the human race. A very nice message of bettering one's self continuously rather than caving into nihilism and the tragedies the world tempts you with. I personally liked both the story and its characters, despite them not being anything groundbreaking.

Still, i'd like to know which TV mecha anime have great choreography since you've got me interested now.

For an over the top show the characters are extremely tame.
Thankfully Imaishi fixed that in KLK

MAL kiddies BTFO
Watch a real hot blooded mecha anime faggots.

The paradise of lazy writers and spoiler hell

Legend of the Blue Wolves is such Kino.

It's a fucking shame newfags refuse to experience patrician anime like this and MD Geist.

>"Wasn't that bad, but it's easy to tell how old people who say it's really good are"
I can agree with this.

>Still, i'd like to know which TV mecha anime have great choreography since you've got me interested now.
I don't know about great, but all the mecha shows I've seen so far had better choreography than TTGL.

I had fun too, but that fun lasted as long as the series. After that I just got back to my regular kind of shows without ever looking back. Like I said, I only remember TTGL because it's spammed on Cred Forums.

>hot blooded mecha anime
>only real robot

>criticize a nine years old show

nevermind i completely forgot about legend of the blue wolves

such a classic

Tell me, Cred Forums. TTGL is in my top three. How old do you think I am?

I've also been here since 2006. Now, how old do you really think I am?

I'm 28.

What does that say about me? Or about you?

>I didn't think it was fun
>I had fun

>hot blooded mecha anime
>imagawa keikaku clusterfuck

I just wanted some examples of those mecha series, man.

>complimenting seventeen year old shows

i meant fun beyond the episodes, fun as it lasted, but overall, i don't think the series was fun enough

This whole shit is retarded, tell me Cred Forums, do we really care about japan's opinion?

people with hyper-specialized taste, down to rejecting a show based on whether the love interest is oppai or pettanko, don't like a show geared towards normies?!

color me surprised

actually now i remember. the fun was for the first arc. it was only like a few episodes.

the show was ultra boring post time skip

>I just wanted some examples of those mecha series, man.
mazinger z, gundam (all of them), all of votoms, all of pretty much everything i watched

Shin Mazinger had hands down the best narrator in all anime

youtube.com/watch?v=FDj1KTha8go

Fafner Exodus has some pretty fucking great fights.You have to watch the less good first season, and really good movie/OVA first.

Aquarion > TTGL

But Japanese Moot said TTGL is best anime

What's wrong with paying homage? Star Wars OT is an homage to B sci-fi, but it's easily one of the greatest films of its decade. I don't think referencing or having inspiration from another source makes something poor by default.

Besides that TTGL has some good qualities like its animation, sound/music, etc. even if you didn't like the story or characters. It certainly is better in those areas than works it references.

Sounds like some old hipster nips that are butthurt that their shit became mainstream. I say that as a 30 year old who is pretty fucking hipster about stupid shit.

>plebian anime
What's patrician then? 1970s mecha schlock?

>1970s mecha schlock?
Correct. 1970s toei mecha schlock had better choreography than TTGL. Pretty shocking I know, but it's the truth.

It's ending was strangely similar to Kamen Rider OOO's ending

Votoms
Giant Robo
Layzner
Getter Robo Armageddon

Just to name a few

TTGL should have ended with the Lordgenome arc. It goes straight to shit after the timeskip. There's only so much "believe in yourself" asspulls you can do before it just becomes annoying.

Sounds like /m/.

How many do you have to watch? I've seen a dozen or more. Most mecha is shit and TTGL was one of the only ones I thought was watchable.

>18 years later
>there still isn't a mecha fight as good as this

youtube.com/watch?v=pxsb1jSfzuM

>1970s mecha schlock
>he hasn't seen the anime that sparked a revolution in the Philippines

youtu.be/psoOQsHtUYA

nah I like the hobo ending, its a good allegory for what happened to gainax.

I have a confession to make, I use to troll Gurren Laggan threads back in the day then years later I decide to watch on the fly,
turns on I actually liked it a lot, kind of regret not watching it sooner and being part of the discussion that wasnt trolling.

Maybe if boring one sided fights are your thing, and you're 12, it's the only way TTGL is enjoyable.

TTGL isn't even watchable anymore. I tried re-watching the series and I cringed so hard. Not even Naruto made me cringe that hard.

>Most mecha is shit and TTGL was one of the only ones I thought was watchable
way to out yourself as a man with shit taste.

He didn't say Mecha, he said super robot.
I doubt you've seen over a dozen.

doesn't /m/ say shit like this anyway?

>There's only so much "believe in yourself" asspulls you can do before it just becomes annoying.

isn't one piece still running and successful as fuck

isn't that series essentially what you just said but extended for like 80 volumes

Toeizinger had quite bad choreography, much worse than TTGL i'm afraid.

UC Gundam and Votoms have decent choreography but they are real robot.

Thanks, been meaning to watch those for a while.

Stoner Sunshine was what turned Armageddon from confusing to fantastic.
Also, I'm going to raise you a couple
youtube.com/watch?v=6hQp9JLb1hA
youtube.com/watch?v=NnS6DuLix9c

I dropped one piece around the same time bleach ended

are you trying to say that One Piece shouldn't have ended ages ago?

>Toeizinger had quite bad choreography
youtube.com/watch?v=h8QrzypoGek

Nope. I prefer Toeizinger. At least they're fighting, not just having boring collision fights where one overpowers their opponent and that's it.

It's literally the worst way to do mecha. TTGL is like a modern version of Godmars in terms of choreography.

is this now a thing?
not TTGL is bad?
wow, i guess i have to change my mind.

Armageddon was shit after episode 3. Even the battles felt poorly put together despite being cool on paper.

month ago?

oh here comes the imagawa cocksucker

>Even the battles felt poorly put together
then you probably need better eyes.

look to ttgl if you want poorly put together battles

i guess, bleach ending just left me in a weird place, i dont think i can follow shonen series anymore.

just further driving home the point that the japanese have shit taste I guess

Every time

TTGL's choreography was terrible. absolutely terrible. the battles were all poorly thought out. they were more flash than actual substantial hand to hand fighting.

You should since you enjoy the garbage cartoons they produce.

>half the comments are positive and half are negative
>I'll just cherry pick the negative ones to make it sound like there's a consensus

ugh

Japanese aren't the only ones eating up One Piece. I'd even go as far as say that TTGL fans in the west are likely One Piece fans as well.

Its not that the choreography is terrible (and stop it with the shitty buzzword) its just that the battles were completely one sided and fails to create any tension in the show. Especially when asspulls are involved. Some of the antagonists were strategists and had well thought out plans but only lost because Simon just pulls something out of his ass.

That being said, episode 8 fucking nailed it. Its a shame the rest of the show just couldn't live up to it.

Literally every argument since the dawn of Cred Forums. There is no middle ground, just extremes.

Someone translate this video to Japanese so these retards can get it : youtube.com/watch?v=VIiX4TL2_vg

I enjoy SOME of them, i dont watch every shit that comes from japan, just the ones that seem interesting, if you follow popular opinion then i guess you think one piece is a masterpiece and cowboy bebop is shit

What does Kino's Journey have to do with Blue Wolves?

It's actually the opposite. Too much of shonen is partially — or wholly — shonenshit for ten year olds (and manchildren) because of marketing reasons and lack of creativity. Gurren-Lagann resurrects the passion in those old and worn out fables about good and evil.

>Watch TTGL while lifting
>Gain 2x modifier to motivation gains

Thank you based drill god.

> making art into utility
Disgusting.

>being able to watch something while lifting
I bet you sit on a machine and lift small weights you fucking manlet

Cowboy Bebop was always garbage.

>Wasting your boiled blood
Sickening.

I don't have a machine in my home you dummy it's biceps and shoulders day, my head is free.

>my head is free.

How do I start watching more manly robot shows?

>muh retro mecha
>muh kamen rider

Those comments sound like they come from bunch of butthurt /m/fags. Anyway, nobody is surprised that Japan has shit taste.

Then what is a good series in your opinion oh wise user?

Understand that many shows have tight budgets so you can't be a fucking animation snob who prioritizes pretty images over good story. Gainax prioritized pretty graphics over good story and it died. Bones prioritizes pretty graphics over good story and it makes forgettable trash constantly.

Also you have to not get turned off by homolust because it's only homolust in your perverted western vision. It's being comrades

>He lifts barbells with his neck

Must cost a fortune in medical bills.

>it's only homolust in your perverted western vision
>Western
What? Fujos in Japan are all over mecha.

cool. Going to /m/ now.

Mecha fujos are more into real robot

Amuro/char, jesus/assram, slaine/inaho, graham/setsuna, etc.

>people not realizing that Cred Forums has always been a copy of these people
>implying casuals didn't love TTGL in Japan too

So they have the same opinion as Cred Forums, whoop de fucking do.

But is choreography the only characteristic that matters? I'm not really disputing your claim. I've never compared the choreography.

I'm not sure it would even matter, TTGL is like a power-up battle shounen where the humans are replaced with robots. The movement and animation are far more like DBZ than Mazinger or Getter. (At least based on what I remember, it's been a few years.)

Votoms I will definitely give you. I do like Votoms. And I would like to see how good GR Armageddon is.

But why can't all of those be good AND TTGL be good. Why does one exclude the other?

Just typical contrarians like the ones you'd fine in Cred Forums

>slaine/inaho
Was A/Z even popular enough for that to be a major example?

>Japan has shit taste
Tell me something I don't know.

>elevens
Racist.

>i have never seen the things it ripped off so it's good
typical MAL kid excuses when their world comes crashing down

Is my memory wrong or was there actual strong dissent towards this show while it was airing?

>japan plebs under constant doses of radiation for decades
>quoting any of them as though their opinion matters
baka.

>Ken Ishikawa is dead

Getterfags BTFO

>Gainax is dead

TTGLfags BTFO

What gives you the impression a 2007 series has more similar choreography to their contemporaries?

It was the kill la kill of its time.

nips have shit taste in everything.

not really

My main problem with TTGL is that the pacing in the second half just blows. It's just one "epic" thing after another with no real time to let things settle in.

Oh, look, it got an upgrade. Now it's a bigger upgrade. Now it's an even BIGGER upgrade.

Fair enough, but either way, comradery being gay is not some Western cultural thing.

Are you a reyfag?

I've been here since 2006. I'm also the same age. I don't know if I'd put TTGL in my top three robot shows, let alone top three anime. But you're welcome to your preferences. I can only imagine your nationality, let alone your whole life experience.

Nips on point as usual when it comes to mecha.

>Gundam SEED Destiny being the second best selling mecha of all time
>on point

Nips so buttblasted. Really makes you think how shitty their taste are. I mean Getter was and will always be shit in comparison. Literally horrible designs, can't stand watching it. It's like One Piece with that shitty fucking design. This is the people that gave awards to shit like Madoka and Evangelion. People who actually think that Japs have good taste must be retarded. If they did, we wouldn't have Idol anime and more than 5 cute girls doing cute things anime

>Oh, look, it got an upgrade. Now it's a bigger upgrade. Now it's an even BIGGER upgrade.
That's the joke, user.

SEED is just too deep for us gaijins
the intricate plot is lost on translation

The only good mecha anime Is Valverape.
Anything else is trash,

Gotta agree with I like good-evil stories where the good guys win. I get enough edgy gray morality bombarding me from all sides in both anime and from film/TV. I've been watching "edgy gray morality" for 25 years now. I'm pretty sick of it.

I wasn't a Western cultural thing either until 20-30 years ago. It's a subversive Marxist thing.

Japs having shit taste never gets old.

They do have a point - Gurren-laggan is oversimplified, both in animation, plot and characters. It has filler episodes for seemingly no apparent reason, overly fast tone shifts, (aside from 5-6 main leads) no developed cast. Choreography was terreble, action looked like a powerpoint presentation, but the problem-tention-resolve ep structure always delivered.

But, for me atleast, it all boils down to TTGL's runtime. If it had more episodes (Or 6(first arc)-12ep OVAs), bigger budget, then we could've had a masterpice. Just look at the "Parallel works(2)" shorts for scrapped ideas, or other Gainax projects with big budgets and low time constrains.

TL;DR - Japs have shit taste but TTGL is far from great.

most people in japan don't even like anime, they think it's weird and annoying. japanese anime kids are just contrarians

What do you base that on? Everything I've seen is the majority are ambivalent at worst. Most people will name One Piece or something else that they follow or went to see at the movies.

I think he means like following seasonal moe shoes and shit

>Idolshit
>shounenshit
>moeshit

It saddens me that cancer is so prevalent in this medium.

>it's average
>it' worse than shit
pick one

I'm with you, bro. Watched it only a few months back - mecha isn't really my thing - but I had a whale of a time watching it.

I'm not going to try to claim it's excellent, but I had a whole lot of fun watching it.

Thank you 4ch for reminding me that I am not a robot.

This. Fukuda's personally-composed, poetic Japanese dialogue slipped through the translator's hands like cherry blossoms or the fresh snow of Fuji.

>Godmars is the only other mecha show I can think of that had worse choreography than TTGL
Holy shit, Godmars is complete trash compared to TTGL

Not really, theyre both trash

>Eva reaction image
The fucking irony

Still sold 30k

Naruto sells much higher than that, your point?

>>I hate how the retards who like this tend to make fun of the shows it's an homage to
Do people really do this? That's incredibly retarded.

Forced hot blood

>The only good mecha anime Is Valverape.
That's not Cross Ange

Who gives a shit about what Elevens say? I loved TTGL and there's nothing you can do about it

There was always a lot of old mecha shows on late night tv I was younger but I hated the majority of it till gurren lagann and code geass, they can stay butthurt.