I really do miss the look of cel

I really do miss the look of cel
Do you miss it? What do you like about it?

Other urls found in this thread:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-08-29/sazae-san-is-last-tv-anime-using-cels-not-computers
imgur.com/a/J4Zx2
youtube.com/watch?v=gUIoEk-mPQE
youtube.com/watch?v=g4CovmXFeLM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

cool airbrushing in that scene. I miss the way they did effects and lighting, where they'd shine a light through the cel. looked so cool.

I mostly just miss the background art

>I really do miss the look of cel
Anything cel can do, modern animation can do too. That said, there is a very special feel about some of those old shows, and modern shows don't catch it. I believe that's intentional, because the trends have changed.
>Do you miss it?
I miss some dark scifi/cyberpunk. That said, I think my favorite genre hasn't even been invented yet.

yes, there's a strong rose-tint. people remember the best examples and the garbage went in the dump of time. but cell art has a human warmth to it that many modern computer art shows lack. that flaw and charm of hand made art.

>I miss the way they did effects and lighting

This. I'm shocked nobody has tried to replicate the cell lighting look with CG yet. I'd like to think it's very doable.

>very special feel

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-08-29/sazae-san-is-last-tv-anime-using-cels-not-computers

>The subtle flickering of lines adds warmth to the images. It gives the viewers a sense of familiarity and security.

Anything traditional can be reproduced in digital, but only reproduced. Reproducing an error feels weird.

Also, the texture of traditional material doesn't feel the same even if reproduced, I think.

I miss various things about cels, but it's more that I dislike most of modern backgrounds, when they look realistic but not too much like pic related. It lacks a sense of artistry or I don't know. There was most of the time a brush effect that didn't look 100% realistic in cel. Also the choice of colors. And backgrounds like in Patlabor 3 also look better than modern realistic backgrounds even though they are photorealistic, not to say traced. I still like Shinkai's art direction though.

imgur.com/a/J4Zx2

Also I'm always impressed when there is this kind of "soft rendering" effect on the shadows and lightning, it looks so smooth. Even better than digital, I wonder how they do it. Airbrush maybe.

Also a ton of implied light sources in the shadows reflection and all, it's impressive.

One of the main problems for backgrounds in modern anime is that it's too easy to fill out a large area with a few clicks. That's why there's so many empty and monotone walls.
A few anime are experimenting with amending this. Some are using simple patterns, others use filters (I liked how Wixxoss looked, despite the cheapness of the effect), but basically in order to achieve the same effect as hand-painting the whole area, you have to hand-paint the whole area. That is still part of the modern arsenal, but it's just too tempting to forgo this step.

Yeah and those empty background are ugly, but the one I linked is not. It's quite nicely textured and all, it's even good I'd say compared to most, but it still doesn't feel like good cel background...

Also the colors are always too saturated, too.

They're still learning. They achieved mastery of cel only in the 80s. Give them some time. They'll find cheap workarounds that will satisfy people.

But I'm watching Rose of Versailles and some other old anime currently and still they have really improved animation wise. I was never a fan of 70-80's sakuga. 90's had fine pieces. And the more normal moments also look better.

Is that kind of rendering better that Shinkai?

youtube.com/watch?v=gUIoEk-mPQE

youtube.com/watch?v=g4CovmXFeLM

analog is too good

I associate cells with dirt.
You may not see them on VHS or shitty broadcasts but on Blu-ray it's sometimes glaring.
I'm glad they stopped using them.

Yeah you don't see them after a while. Except when a whole arc is made in Korea like in Nadia's, there was seemingly pubic hair on screen

Don't forget the obvious cel layers.

I miss grain.

I miss when animation was hand-drawn.

Why? Grain is an artifacts of photography that obscures details.
You can always reduce video quality yourself when you want to.

Dragon Ball used this airbrush effect one time in 153 episodes

Now, normally I would automatically dismiss this as lazy bait, but I have seen people stupid enough to genuinely believe this, so you never know.

We're getting multiple shows per season that aren't hand drawn so it might become reality.

I don't know if I can blame them, I myself wasn't really "conscious" that animation was moving drawings until I was like 17 and someone told me about sabuga. Only then I realized that it was hard work. At that time of realization I asked multiple questions like if they were using software like Flash to tween and simplify the work, if a computer calculated simple movements like "turning around" because it must be hard to do it all at hand.

I can understand that in our time some people would believe that computer does it all, even when it looks great, and that no one is crazy enough to draw it all.

When there's like 40 shows per season, a couple is nothing to panic about just yet.

Now we just need to get them to stop doing awful attempts at imitating 2d with god-awful framerates in a bad attempt to hide their shit animation. I only trust the Bubuki Buranki studio and Orange with the limited framerate thing.

It wouldn't kill them to try a different art style for a change.

Well, them and whoever did the CG for Garo season 1.

Cel animation was just the best for capturing the tone of gritty dramas, scifi and fantasy settings.

Digital is more suitable for the CGDCT slice of shows.

CGDCT needs to slow down.

I would like variety in the production of new shows. i wouldn't have it one way or the other

Don't forget about color and the physical nature of the cels

>Digital is more suitable for the CGDCT slice of shows.
don't agree why digital would automatically better

Because digital looks 'clean' and is easier to do with a lower budget/lower staff amount.

Grain is unintended noise, but it creates texture for the image which can make the image more visually appealing.

Then let your player add grain if you like it so much.

Why? It's like adding in lens flares when there aren't any. Sometimes its intentional. Sometimes its not. But its retarded to add any when there wasn't any in the first place.

So why do you miss it?

>tfw we'll never get a movie like patlabor 1 and 2 again

Just enable a noise filter in your player.