Oyasumi Punpun/ Seinen Manga by Inio Asano

What is your opinion about this manga?

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.mangafox.me/threads/278357-For-those-who-are-a-bit-confused-a-chronological-summery-*spoilers*
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Trying way too hard to be artsy and meaningful while never being genuinely funny or interesting.

It is correct, but the mangaka art and way of destroying the character enjoys

I love it.
Just bought all the omnibus collections already available

great if you read in a single sitting.

unfortunately very relateable

This, or at least many chunks at a time

Pretty fucking good

I enjoyed it and want to support the English release but $20 is a lot for one volume for me.

It was enjoyable

>20$
Are you sure these are single volumes?

I'm pretty sure... granted it was in a bookstore so I'm sure there was markup.

I actually own them. They're two volumes in one.

I believe you are mistaken.
It's 3-4 volumes per a book.

Now that volume 3 is out I can finally tell what the image on the spine is. I've had no fucking clue for months.

But it's fantastic, OP. Can't recommend it highly enough. Asano has been hit or miss for years with good and bad ideas both, but with this one he pulled together all his strongest material and knocked it outta the park. It's funny, it's bleak, it's relatable, it's fucking stunning to just look at.

Is it that many? I thought it was only 2. But I haven't actually been able to compare to regular volumes.

It's a decent release price compared to shit like Yen Press and hardback Baccano!! release.

The first half was good, the second half felt too contrived. I like dead dead demon more.

>the second half felt too contrived
The cult stuff was a bit much for me, but since I'm getting the paper release, maybe when I reread it it'll have more meaning and clarity.

It's 2 volumes in each Viz release. No idea what they're doing with the last volume since the original is 13 volumes.

fun ride
the first volume is 10/10

Probably release it on its own. That's what they did with Gunslinger Girl which had an odd number of books.

Punpun is my favorite manga.

Super overrated, but good nonetheless

Its pretty good, but I prefer Nijigahara Holograph.

Too deep for me.

How so?

Also pardon the mangafox link, but this summary is really handy as a way of understanding how various events fit together:

forums.mangafox.me/threads/278357-For-those-who-are-a-bit-confused-a-chronological-summery-*spoilers*

I read it too long ago to elaborate, but all I remember was the storyline was confusing and a bit too edgy for me. I looked up some internet explanations after reading which organized the events in chronological order and contextualized some symbolism but still, I didn't enjoy it too much. Wasn't a fan of this or City of Light, but I liked everything else of his that I've read.

lmao that's exactly what I was referring to

Weirdly enough, that's pretty much my reaction to the second half of Punpun. The story began to drag and meander and the drama seemed like suffering for sufferings sake. I also tend to enjoy complex, non-linear stories with multiple perspectives, so Nijigahara was a good fit for my particular sensibilities.

Nice. Its like the first or second link when you google "Nijiigahara Holograph explained" readig that summary and then rereading the manga really increased my appreciation for the Inio's craft.

With Punpun I never felt that the edge was exploitative or anything. Grim, yes, but perhaps since it's established early on that the characters are written as extremes it never really bothered me like it does with other things. If it had taken a serious tone from the beginning and gone for realism over absurdity then I can't imagine myself liking it all that much. Best development in Asano's style, I think, was an added sense of humour to things like this, What a Wonderful World and Dedede.

Yeah, I supposed that my main complaint would be that the suffering to humor ratio becomes more unbalanced toward the suffering side later on in the story. I really, really enjoyed the earlier stuff with the children (and I believe that the absurd aspects meshed better with a story told from a child's perspective). For whatever reason Nijigahara never struck me with the same sense of persistent existential dread that I get from Punpun. Bad things happen, sure, but there is a sense of closure and catharsis that Punpun lacks. I don't think that this is necessarily a bad thing; Punpun in this sense is probably more true to real life.

Maybe I missed out on that "closure" because I was mostly left confused by it all. Possibly worth a reread.

I'm also going check out Dedede on your reccomendation.

The story actually ties together quite neatly. It took me a second read to really understand and appreciate its intricacy.

It's refreshingly different than anything he's ever done before, but it still feels like him and I really like what I've read of it. I think you'd enjoy it if you like the absurd parts of very early Punpun. I've stopped reading it cause I suck at keeping up with ongoing manga, but I have few complaints.

Sounds good. Well its, been good talking to you. Going to turn in for the night.