Trying to start subbing as a hobby

Hey Cred Forums, not my blog but,
I've translated various manga and radio shows here and there for the past 5 years on Cred Forums and decided to pick up subbing things with visuals in them. I've been playing with the functions in pic related for a while, but wanted to see if there are any experts out there with beginner tips before I start heading down the wrong way, ie fonts, style, easy mistakes to avoid, etc.

This will be my only thread, so if it gets deleted, oh well.

Other urls found in this thread:

commiesubs.com/interns/
rxmastering.wordpress.com/
nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=852463
unanimated.xtreemhost.com/ts/index.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

commiesubs.com/interns/

Thanks

To be good you should start with a good encode. Can't find a good encode? Go and download the BDs and then encode them yourself. RX is one of the best encoders in fansubbing. rxmastering.wordpress.com/
Aside from that download a giant ass font package and play around with the fonts and colors. You can also take a color from a charterer say their hair and make that your sub color. A golden rule which if you don't follow will make people really mad at you is to ALWAYS have at max 2 lines high. Never 3 or more you don't want a goddamn paragraph to read and it looks sloppy. Know how to use MKV merge and how to make chapters and how to time properly makes a huge difference between pro work and faggot work. Join a fansubber that is recruiting as a typesetter or whatever. They will show you how to use everything and you will gain experience fast. If you know nip you are automatically the best and just about every fansubber will take you in.

how about try subbing stuff that isn't popular or has no one trying to sub it? if not just try subbing stuff you like. wouldn't mind more seiyuu related stuff to get subbed though

>5 years

Just translating a page panel or short audio can make me feel dirty, because there's shitters anywhere, no matter how good a community can be. I don't know how some people do it. If you really want to get into this crap, timing from scratch is probably going to be a hurdle. Also hope you don't take the first post seriously.

Don't get into the drama or e peen fame
Sub what you like
that's about it

If you wanna give it a try at translating, do the specials (3x) from this batch nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=852463
If you do translate it, I can do the rest like timing and typesetting.

>Also hope you don't take the first post seriously.

Did you even look at the link? It has actual, proper guides for how to do things in it.

unanimated.xtreemhost.com/ts/index.htm

I've had my share of working in a group before when I used to translate visual novels ten or so years ago. I eventually got tired of people disagreeing with each other left and right and the excess drama that came with it. But I'll try looking around. I haven't kept up with any sub groups since... mahora? died.

That is what I plan to do, and have been doing for a while. Every now and then when I see a raw manga page on Cred Forums, I just post something and disappear. And currently, I'm translating all data from a giant list(830,296 entries) in a card social game that I play.

Thanks, I've come to learn about drama the hard way.

I've just been living freely, throw out the translation and leave it to whomever that will fix/take it for no credit. Takes out a lot of the stress dealing with people.

Holy shit, I thought this would be sagebombed instantly then deleted by a janitor, but thank you for all the resources.

Just so you know, timming is super tedious. And typesetting is even more tedious. So try to work on small things at first so you don't quit super fast.
I also don't get why every time sombody posts an aegisub screenshot they have that blue thing for the audio. How the hell do you read that?

fansub being almost ded and buried means we can't lose fansubbers
they are Cred Forums's last line of defense

Isn;t there that thing I think sushi that typesets for you? I think Daiz made it.

Nice

>I also don't get why every time sombody posts an aegisub screenshot they have that blue thing for the audio. How the hell do you read that?

It's pretty obvious when you actually start using it. If you time stuff you should give it a try, it should make spotting speech visually easier.

There's no such thing as automatic typesetting, although automation tools exist to assist typesetters at their job. Sushi is unrelated to that, though, as it's a tool for shifting subs from one source to another (eg. TV -> BD). It was also made by tp7, not me, although I did come up with the name for it (which comes from SUbtitle SHIfter).

Hi there. Think I can acquire your help?

You're still alive?

Thanks for keeping fansubbing alive Daiz. I download all my favorite animes from horriblesubs.

You should really try out fansubbing some older shows, like Jungle Taitei or Ribbon No Kishi. No one else is touching them. They're classics by Japan's Walt Disney, Ozamu Tezuka.

First say what you want to translate

Good luck on your hobby and endeavors, you only get the briefest of payoffs and thanks before you get thrown into the next chapter again, yet your the blood of our gaijen existences.

Like a zombie, rotting corpses are all the rage ya know.

it'd be nice if you'd be willing to time subs for thing that get a new or higher quality release. i.e old show gets bd release but old dvd or laserdisc subs aren't timed for it

Daiz never dies, only in slumber until shitposting beckons.

Subbing is not a hobby. It is a lifestyle.

(Good) translators are always needed. If you can provide a decent English script, you don't need to do other tedious tasks yourself. Either look up groups that are specialized in your area of interest (e. g. obscure '70s anime, or TV interviews with creators) and contact them, or just come to popular cross-group IRC channel, tell people you have script ready, and wait.

Habanero Scans needs help with Manben S3, for example. You probably also need to get some fans of participating authors to QC for that, though.

If you want to do everything yourself for fun, keep in mind there's little fun in repeated technical work, but there's a lot of timing tutorials from many groups.

I would never do fansubbing. The majority of Cred Forums are autistic manchildren or underage entitled kids who whine at every small little nuance that they don't like about your subs despite you providing this service for, well, free. The most I'd do is translate doujinshi and manga because the people who read those aren't ungrateful retards at the very least.

Translate one of the many unfinished manga that haven't had updates in forever.

Not OP, but as someone who doesn't know a lick of Japanese, is there anything that I could practically do in order to help sub? I have been playing around with Aegisub for a while, and am wondering if I could possibly help someone out by doing something not related to translation. What would I be able to do, and would I practically be able to find anyone that would work with me?

Typeset for a fansub group. Oh wait there are none left.

Fansubber here, don't do it OP. It's not too late for your soul.

Editing and typesetting are always in need of new talent. And it doesn't take long to learn like Japanese, maybe 10 hours at most?

Join commie. Despite the memes, they'll train you for timing or typesetting (unless you come across as a complete asshat) and pretty much everyone there is in multiple groups so you get a lot of freedom to work on whatever show you're interested in for whatever groups after becoming qualified by passing their tests. That's what I do. I've got a few shows I'm interested in doing each season and just find people who are also interested and do it with whatever group.

>And it doesn't take long to learn like Japanese, maybe 10 hours at most?
Maybe if you are smart. More like 100 hours of learning it.

I would expect most anons to have a rudimentary knowledge of Photoshop by now

I'm not an editor but I'd phrase that differently. What it is that takes 10 hours to learn was unclear in the second sentence. Maybe something like
>unlike Japanese, it only takes around 10 hours to learn

There's no point to fansubbing anymore, just stick to doing manga.

I disagree but you're right there's a shortage of manga translators as well

>The majority of Cred Forums are autistic manchildren or underage entitled kids who whine at every small little nuance that they don't like about your subs despite you providing this service for, well, free.

Post it on /r/anime . There we're all circle jerks. Then you'd get what you want.

Seriously, complaining about criticism on an anonymous imageboard is kinda dumb. At least people here give honest replies and not just discuss in an echo chamber.

Not all criticism is equal, you underage wanker.

You kinda proved your point by called me an underage wanker I guess. Name calling doesn't give criticism credibility.

>how to judge criticism

I am just going to say my mind as a viewer.

As others have suggested, pick up shows you really like and/or haven't been translated yet. I also really like when the subbers use different colors when different characters speak.

Also a more personal suggestion, I believe it would benefit greatly the community if older shows with no English translation where to be translated.

Good luck!

They are a lot of untranslated older series like the sequels to Ace wo Nerae or Kasei Yakyoku that only fansubbers will translate.

Also I prefer downloading anime from fansubbers even if they just rip crunchy, since they edit the text and add translation to the OP and ED