Haven't played a RTS since AoE 2 and Warcraft 3, is this worth playing?

Haven't played a RTS since AoE 2 and Warcraft 3, is this worth playing?

haven't played the old Cossacks, I'm coming from AoE 2 as well
I'm having fun at least

Isn't this basically Cossacks HD

Yes. However i recommend you to try Cossacks European Wars and The Art of War expansion first. You can find them on GOG.

might want to wait cause its still buggy (i did buy it though)

AoE2 HD is the most popular traditional RTS on Steam right now though so you might want to check that out

Also Homeworld Remaster is pretty cool

a lot of the new RTS these days have been disappointing

i've been playing more real time tactics games like Wargame and Total War

Yes. Its good.

I bought it but I haven't played it yet. I see people saying it's really buggy and idk if I should get a refund

Just make sure to go into the gamefiles and crank up the maximum gamespeed and unit limit. They only need to fix the crashes and get us bigger maps and it's gonna be superiour to the old one in every way.

ye
ye but with a different campaign

Yeah, but t has a few quality of life improvements and fixed a few of the old bugs.

Jesus Christ, upgraded units SLAUGHTER unupgraded ones.
My well upgraded 72 pikemen went through 2 formations of fresh 36 pikemen ,and only lost 1 unit while killing them. Probably killed by one of the officers.
This one 72 (now 71) pikemen unit took the whole enemy base as he reinforced and sent mercenaries. I lost the most units from exploding buildings.

Does 9 armor against pikes literally mean 9 damage reduced from pikes? For unupgraded units, thats all the damage. You'd take zero.

there's a reason why the upgrades have like 20 levels

teching up your units is just as important as making more units, often even more important

Should I be rushing the market to sell coal and stone for food?
Does the first player to do so get the best prices?

STARCRAFT STARCRAFT STARCRAFT STARCRAFT STARCRAFT STARCRAFT STARCRAFT STARCRAFT STARCRAFT STARCRAFT STARCRAFT STARCRAFT STARCRAFT STARCRAFT STARCRAFT STARCRAFT STARCRAFT STARCRAFT STARCRAFT STARCRAFT STARCRAFT STARCRAFT STARCRAFT STARCRAFT

>bugs up the ass
>no AI
Shitty cashgrab. Selling a RTS game with braindead scripted AI that always attacks along the same path is just unforgivable in 2016.
AOE2HD at least had upgraded AI that actually could use transport ships and looked for weakspots in your defenses. Cossacks AI is a joke.

yeah tahts the first thing you should go for

build order is like this: max peasants on windmill, rest on town center, then the storage thing, then market with all your peasants

The AI did use transports against me, on hard difficulty.
Are you talking without playing the game, just quoting gaming "journalists"?

I do Town Hall and Mill, then another Town Hall, then the warehouse and blacksmith while shitting out peasants, then iron and gold mines, and only then I get market, barracks, etc.

Second Town Hall early to get peasants faster seems too good to miss out on. There is enough food for it on default settings.

You can play it for like 2-3 hours and get a refund after that. I did that with RCTW though I doubt Cossacks is anywhere near as bad as that was

it always lands in the same spot. defend that spot and your island is completely safe

>AOE2HD at least had upgraded AI and looked for weakspots in your defenses
it really doesn't
all it does is follow a build order and build counters to your army composition

depends what your starting resources are, but you should always aim for getting the market done ASAP, second town center can be done later
best is to sell all your coal (1000 or 5000 depends on your start) into food/wood

How can it land on the same spot if the maps are randomly generated?

that makes it a lot smarter and more challenging than the original AI.

The AI in AOE is so stupid you can build a tower next to something they are constructing, kill the workers, and just slaughter the rest that come to build their structure. I've won a few matches that way. They won't stop sending workers, and eventually they have none left and resign the game.

However this only works in the dark age.

Not really
It gets destroyed by any form of harassing

he clearly meant the transport ships land on the same spot
find out where it is and it's easy as fuck to defend with some cannons

Can confirm this trick doesn't work in Cossacks. There, its official, Cossacks AI is amazing. We should involve it with out space programs.

Just don't play with different continents and AI is decent from my experience.
You better get a big army fast because the AI likes its fully upgraded pikeman blob

also protect your expansions (if you killed off one AI and you got their mines/town center), you will lose them otherwise

>AI will now capture your peasants to cheaply double its production buildings
Shit.

So far MP seems broken. Crashes and lobby just doesn't work as it should. Moreover games end the second the host loses the game which sucks.

Solo works, but no campaign map conquest mode, just missions with objectives.

So this is first Cossacks but in full 3D.

AI is still retarded but compensate by being freeking fast at making units.

No cannon crews, animations overall pretty bad compared to American Conquest. Scale is also same as first Cossacks, so no high view and properly scaled buildings.

So far so good... I still wish they took the American Conquest approach for the remake though.

Back to War is the definitive version of Cossacks 1.

The entire Cossacks and American Conquest series was on steamsale this summer for in total 4€. Been playing with my m8s all day since then.
I hope the C3 mp will be usable soon.

How come they didn't continue in the direction of American Conquest? It's the same company, if I recall correctly. And those games improved tons upon Cossacks, while still being the same game.

I guessed it was a lot easier for them to just remake the first game.

Anyway they are just the same company in name. I'm not sure how many of them actually worked on the original Cossacks and American Conquest games. The guys who worked on the STALKER are all gone in other studios though.

Been trying to run Divided Nation on windows10, from retail CD images. I just get a black screen with the menu music. Tried all the shitty tricks I could find online, it just refuses to work...

>Cossacks 3 released

Holy shit why is there nothing about it

Did they not market it at all

Agreed but Back to War doesnt have the campaigns.

Anyway he can get all 3 of them on GOG as i said.

For what it's worth, it's the worst AC game. Every feature of gameplay is worse than the two others.

Bought a copy a few years ago when I saw it in the store. Not directly disappointed, but it was worse. It's a shame since it has such an interesting timeperiod.

Nah, barely any marketing.

Game was supposed to release a year ago, and then have a beta in the first quarter of 2016, but neither happened.
Now it released but is pretty buggy. GSC is basically still working on it.

It's Cossacks "3" in name only. It's essentially a European Wars remake.

Literally everything other than AoE 2 or Warcraft III is shit. Impossible Creatures is good for a laugh though.

To add to this though, there is mod support. The community will likely fix it to eventually surpass Back to War.

>Literally everything other than AoE 2 or Warcraft III is shit.
Nah, Cossacks is better than those. It's just a shame they release C3 as an open beta without telling anyone.

Cossacks American Conquest was fucking brutal god damn natives fuck

One conquistador on a horse could send entire Mayan legions fleeing, how could you struggle against them?

I'll admit massed attacks by archers set a bunch of buildings on fire though.

Nope... Not even pre orders on Steam, just keys on foreign websites and key resellers. It was released a couple of hours late on Steam as well because of some game breaking bug they found at the last minute.

You start thinking they didn't open pre orders on Steam to maximize their revenue and avoid refunds. So you think maybe they don't have faith in their game nor in their ability to maintain it.

Terrible marketing on their part.

I dunno, I mean even that intro level for the campaign gave me a hard time with the unlimited flood of the bastards. I could never seem to get a foothold and my front lines would constantly get picked off

Then again it was my first Cossacks game and I didn't really get the whole garrisoned buildings and storming a building part at the time. I thought you just had to attack buildings like anything else like in AoE.

>anyone can unpause/pause game or increase/decrease game speed in multiplayer games
>half the time people don't even load into the game
>lobby is awful, no search function, no join friends function, games can't be sorted by players/ping/rank, scrolling is buggy
>if you play a 1v1 the host can never lose because if he just disconnects the game just ends and you get disconnected as well
>no penalty for leaving a game

Just a few things off the top of my head after playing for ~20 minutes

Joined a lobby before, couldn't pick my team and when I tried to change color it didn't work either and then the game crashed. I guess I'll stick to the solo missions.

>impossible creatures

mah fuckin nigga

i played that so much when i was in middle school

MP is chaotic right now, when you create a room you can't define any rules except vague lines in the room name. You literally can't close any slots because the menu is bugged and you can't force people to pick teams. There's no preview of the map you're going to play or anything.

He's probably seen some kid on youtube playing on easy for like 20 minutes and jumped to conclusions.

>Kaspersky just now classified cossacs.exe as a troian and wants to delete it
Banic?

The fuck is going on?

Is cossaks 3 fun? Like AoE 2

my first cossack game here but googling Cossack Build Order does not help.

Anyone can help me on build order?

Last RTS I loved was Generals. Was there anything worthwile since those days? World in Conflict?

you should know the dependencies of some stuff, for example you can only build academy after you built barracks (which you need the balcksmith for)

also the research order is important

dont forget to research the upgrade inside the windmill and the first upgrade in the blacksmith asap

the wood and food upgrades in the academy are also very important and basic

everything else depends on the situation

basically the basic build order that i found is to build,

mill > town hall > blacksmith > market > (didn't figure it out yet)

one thing, how many peasant do i need for food, trees and stones to keep the economy stable?

last thing, should i choose any nation or there any beginner friendly nation?

everything besides turkey/russia/ukraine is alright, they are pretty much the same

this thread is dead pretty fast

I usually go town hall/mill -> storehouse/goldmine -> woodchucking until market -> sell all coal for food -> buy ressources to build second townhall

Note that I usually play with standard ressources (1000 each at the start).

The game is alright so far, wish it had duel monitor support.

never played the previous games but i was hoping for a game with grand campaign a la total war but instead i got a mission-based campaign and i hate that fucking shit

Play Supreme Commander instead.

Why not play both instead

I have no time or attention to spare when trying to git gud at the SupCom economy

Doth thou have time for Sins of a Solar Empire?