What were they thinking?

What were they thinking?

Some games require the d pad and some require analog. The N64 controller allows you to choose either one with your left hand.

At the time, the analog stick was a new thing, they were concerned over whether it'd even take off - as a compromise, they designed the controller to prioritise d-pad controls, with the stick being optional in the centre. Learning from this, their future systems now offer alternative controllers if you don't like that controller's gimmicks.

t. Nintendo employee

How is it working for Nintendo?
I've always wanted to work for a vidya company.

I work for their marketing division, not as a dev which I imagine to be the more interesting job.

That you wouldn't be a laughable manlet and could reach the analogue stick with your thumb from the outer side.

/thread

you work for the worst marketing division in the industry, congrats

fucking shills exist

enjoy getting dunked in smash bros

Nintendo has a marketing division?

They never market their products so I assumed they didn't have one.

Its such a deliciously antiquated piece of tech and I fucking love it.

>antiquated

GET OUT UNDERAGE

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I work for comcast marketing.

You guys should look into it, marketing is easy to get into. And it isn't all shilling, despite your 8 year mind. I do analytics for our marketing team.

Nintendo has been shilling their garbage on Cred Forums since 2012

It's decades old you fucking moron

I'm fairly new, been with them about 6 months. Funnily enough our boss mentioned how their recent marketing has been lacking, mostly because they wanted to spend less on marketing and were expecting less system sales so that they may focus on something more ambitious for their next system. Having seen some stuff about the NX, they've definitely made the right decision in the long run.

An antique has to be more than two fucking decades old

this was literally me
no point using the middle handle at all

They only right decision would be to drop hardware entirely.

Nintendo hardware is always fucking trash and no one wants it.

Nah for cars it's 20 years

except nintendo does do some marketing. See here exhibit A showing some of their great ideas.

nintendo marketiing are fucking retards that were all surprised when their latest piece of shit didnt print money and they did shit like this to somehow make it work. They're lucky they are up against sony and microsoft. Who are about equally as retarded

I assume they didn't know if games would require you to use analog+dpad or analog+cpad. Where the logical decision would be to have 2 analog sticks if those people weren't cheap fucks.

statistically, market interest is at an all-time high, with projects like BotW and PokeGO garnering huge public interest. We also have a solid partnership with the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, which will raise public awareness further, and should yield a huge boost to the "NX" sales.

Not all of us have truckasaurus hands.

Sony has been killing it in marketing man.

PS4 is outpacing the PS2 and is the fastest selling console of all time.

Microsoft has been retarded but trying to get goodwill these last few years.

Nintendo has been taking money from Youtubers and shutting down fan games like idiots.

>a dev which I imagine to be the more interesting job.
>dev working for nips
>interesting

I'm surprised there's such a low suicide rate, with the directors being shown as literral gods and you'll be nothing but the code monkey that would be cast aside if you can't manage to shove 15 hours of work in 9 hours a day

literally no one who doesn't follow Video games cares about the new Zelda.

no one.

>PS4 is outpacing the PS2 and is the fastest selling console of all time.
only because MS and Nin fucked up big times, also PS4 has the most overhyped game of all time

This is literally me

>PS4 is outpacing the PS2 and is the fastest selling console of all time.

This isn't even remotely true anymore.

Besides, the Wii is the fastest selling console of all time, not the PS2.

it was a top-trending story on facebook and twitter for a few days.

Except for infamous second son I cannot think of a game I would buy a PS4 for. We are already, what, 4 years into the new generation and still I cannot think of anything interesting the new era has produced.

The WiiU is fucking retarded with its controller and the Xbone has a stupid name, forcefully strapped the kinect on (said it was required for the system to work, still managed to get rid of it) and microsoft wants to leave the console scene. After the original Xbox the Xbox360 was really just a chad machine. The original Xbox at least had some neat games because microsoft gave every gaming company they saw a bag of money to try and get their library up and running

How do you use the trigger button under it then, faggot

doesn't matter, they're market has been great. you can't deny that.

It's true buddy. Wii was a toy not a real console.

this isn't about what you think about Sony, this is about how their marketing has been killing it.

the PS2 was a DVD player not a REAL console

what marketing?

>playing shooter on console over PC
>half of those games are either already on vita or remakes

Now remove the multiplats and games that havent been released yet

Is this a marketing thread? Toyota marketing here!

I might have cut 1 or 2 enhanced remakes but I was too lazy to check. Also a few might be crossplatform but were too long to type out and check

>being able to hold it like that
Baby hands. When you grow up you have to reach across from the left side of the controller because you don't have delicate little tiny baby hands any more.

The N64 controller was fucking garbage.

When is the NX announcement if youre telling the truth

Its a really good, sturdy controller.

I assume thats what they were thinking of setting out to make it

who else snorted the white powder that came off the stick after usage

Surprisingly, November

Name one system that has a controller like this.

Shut up dude. You don't know shit about the industry, you're just a zealous fanboy

Does it look cool?

technically, it's not just one "it".

Don't even complain, when the Wii had no games people would make lists of 5/10 shovelware games and say that the Wii and Nintendo was saving gaming, everyone on Cred Forums then unanimously agreed that Nintendo was the saviour of gaming for flooding the industry full of shovelware.

>everyone on Cred Forums then unanimously agreed that Nintendo was the saviour of gaming for flooding the industry full of shovelware.
when the fuck did this ever happen?
Last I checked, Cred Forums hated and still hates the waggle era of Nintendo.

>people actually falling for this troll.

As if Nintendo has ever been the type of company to back down and not go ham for their new innovations. Did the Wii also include normal buttons, "just in case" too?

Lol, you people are so gullible. Never change.

The reason is because the N64 controller looks like something that you want to hold, and is more child-friendly. I mean, what would games back then use it for? Camera control? Might as well just have a toggle like Mario 64 than confuse people with another stick.

I know Sony eventually ripped off Nintendo and added two, but those games never did anything worthwhile with them, and you have to credit that Nintendo had paved the way with one already. So it wasn't as scary anymore.

BAM! drop mic

Sonygger here

The moment we know what the NX looks like will be whether it fails or succeeds.

Cred Forums worshiped Nintendo for like 3 years straight, was the gayest, most insane fanboyism I've ever seen in my life. I swear, even if Sony won the console war, their bragging and retardation would only be half as bad as Nintendo fanboys with the Wii.

I should probably clarify as there's been much confusion over this, especially with recent rumours - the NX is not a single system, it involves 2 separate pieces of hardware - neither of which have been officially named as far as I'm aware. You have a handheld system and a console system as entirely separate devices, to be sold separately (though a bundle is possible). The idea is that, even though they have fairly different hardware, they'll support the same games - this means that at least one of the rumours are true, the NX uses cartridges. Sadly, I don't know the exact specs of either system.

>Did the Wii also include normal buttons, "just in case" too?
Why yes it did, it was sold separately though as the classic controller and classic controller pro respectively.

Tell me everything you know about the NX.

Also are you paid to shill on Cred Forums? Is that your primary job?

>Tell me everything you know about the NX.
See the post above you, that's most of all I know
>Also are you paid to shill on Cred Forums? Is that your primary job?
No, shilling on Cred Forums does nothing as Cred Forums hates talking about games in any positive form - I'm here for the same reason anyone else is.

>I should probably clarify as there's been much confusion over this, especially with recent rumours - the NX is not a single system, it involves 2 separate pieces of hardware - neither of which have been officially named as far as I'm aware. You have a handheld system and a console system as entirely separate devices, to be sold separately (though a bundle is possible). The idea is that, even though they have fairly different hardware, they'll support the same games - this means that at least one of the rumours are true, the NX uses cartridges. Sadly, I don't know the exact specs of either system.
so they push the WiiU angle of tablet+console but now with a fully selffunctioning tablet?
What a terrible time to be alive

Not really, they are completely separate devices, although the handheld version can be used optionally as a controller for the console system, it's not at all required. The intention is that they can share the exact same library, with a big emphasis of its marketing being about how you can take 'your games on the go!' with the handheld system, whilst the home system provides the best graphical fidelity.

Not him but I will ask this for the sake of fun

Do you work in a cubicle? What is your general break looking like (lunch, 15 minute, whatever breaks)

Furthermore, what's your opinion on game manuals (physical)? Vita game boxes too (also because they lack a physical manual excluding the back of the box art).

But the vita and PS tried that for a bit but for most part it seems that people just play on the console and the vita is left out

hey, if it lets me play monster hunter on a tv instead of a 240p screen, im all for it

If it means being able to buy shit on eshop like VC and own it on both systems, that will already be a fine improvement in my book. But I doubt this is going to happen even if this is true.

this pic

This better be bullshit.

This better be

Fucking

Bullshit.

why even bother lying like who are you helping here what do you gain from this

Nintenphone with MariOS is the future

>Do you work in a cubicle?
no, open offices where we're encouraged to chat (about work-related material obviously). As an introverted individual, I hate this.
>What is your general break looking like
20 min lunch break, but no other breaks - the workplace is fairly relaxed though, as long as we meet a quota by the end of the day to prove progress has been made they're not too bothered.
>Furthermore, what's your opinion on game manuals (physical)? Vita game boxes too (also because they lack a physical manual excluding the back of the box art).
I miss them personally, I liked flicking through for the artwork. Feels like they first started with poorer-quality prints of game manuals across the industry before eradicating them. Having said that, from a financial standpoint I can understand it, and in some respects I feel that if a game's well-designed it'll be able to teach the player as they play it.

the Vita crossplay only supported a handful of games, whilst the NX has focused on complete cross-play. I'm not quite sure how they pulled it off, I'm not a hardware guy.

That's exactly what they're going for,

>640x348
What's the problem? It's just lime how the GBA could be used as a GC controller, or how the DS could be used as a Wii controller.

It just means games like Crystal Chronicles or FSA are possible on the new system. The fact that they are sold separately by default means that a two screen experience isn't the focus this time around.

Vita runs every PS4 game. It was the PSP-PS3 connectivity that was limited.

Oh, I wasn't aware of that, thank you for clarifying.

>not using your third arm to fully experience those great n64 games

And yet you've posted a picture of smug mario.

>I'm not quite sure how they pulled it off
the console will be just a more powerful version of the handheld, like Ps4pro

Nintendo hardware is shit.

"""""""""""innovations"""""""""""

I don't think so, it may be worth mentioning that the handheld is larger than even a 3DS XL (like, barely-fits-in-your-pocket large), and was able to run Zelda Breath of the Wild on it. I'm really not sure what the specs are for the handheld or console versions, but the handheld seems to be pushing it a lot. There was an interesting tech-demo on the console system that I got to see, some untitled project involving a huge robot in a huge city - apparently it was brought out of development hell specifically for the NX after failing to work on the Wii U system, though I'd never seen it before myself. Graphically, it looked stunning - huge mechs in a dense cityscape wrecking shit.

Analog stick for 3D games, Dpad in case 3D games suck because its better for 2D games. Its literally a fail-safe attached to the side of it in the instance everybody hates 3D games.

I dont watch television so this doesnt ring a bell

That sounds like it's just Project Robot. Your story's getting sketchier because you don't even need to work for Nintendo to remember that.

that shit was everywhere bro

the one that's gotten them 50 million consoles sold and left the competition in the dust

That's exactly how I played my N64. I could not get used to the middle handle for the life of me

>tfw friends made fun of me for holding the controller like this

It's designed that way so you can have 3 different layouts for different styles of game.

Dpad and buttons for 2D.
Stick and buttons for 3D.
Dpad and Stick for 3D Shooters and things.

Just looked it up, I can see some similarities but the visuals and setting are drastically different, as are the robot designs which more resemble mechs than whatever's going on in that Wii U tech demo/game.

or you know, having 2 sticks

Missed a bunch.

Same i used 2 finger on my left hand to move the joystick.
It seemed so impractical to put your hand in the middle.

>falling for the multiplats aren't game meme

They wanted to do something new (the analog stick and Z-trigger) but didn't want to completely let go of the safe and recognizable SNES pad design.
In other words they weren't committed enough to their new ideas.

I already own a PC and a PS3, and if I want the Vita games it's both cheaper and hacked. Unless you're a literal pleb purchasing his first console then you certainly care about exclusives.

>already own a PS3, PC and vita
>wonder if the PS4 is worth a buy
>someone comes with a list that includes a bunch of multiplats
>in order to accurately value if it is still worth it remove the multiplats
>hurr durr you arent allowed to remove them

strawman

nice meme

They hadn't figured that out yet. Not everything is successful on the first time around.

They were thinking you should use it like pic related? Why is this such a fucking mystery?