Blizzard ditching the name "battle.net"

gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/09/21/blizzard-phasing-out-battle-net-name.aspx

The Blizzard we knew is now dead and buried.

Other urls found in this thread:

worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/20297652/battlenet-update-9-21-2016
web.archive.org/web/20041128024408/http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=FnLaFtmJUv4
youtube.com/watch?v=ioQWkWj5_ss
reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1tuf3c/this_is_why_mark_kern_was_removed_as_ceo_by_red_5
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

they should probably ditch the name "Blizzard" too

what was the reason?

BRAND

>At this point, it just makes sense. Battle.net, while it may carry plenty of nostalgia as a term for longtime players and fans of the PC juggernaut's legion of titles, doesn't really make any sense to players today, especially those who are coming to Blizzard titles via console or mobile. Switching over to just calling things "Blizzard X, Blizzard Y" is easy to understand and unifies the brand seams without any possibility of cracks or confusion.

I'm guessing some kinda corporate marketers or whatever who only look at the densest people that don't actually play many if any games decided that 'Battle.net is Blizzard's gaming service' is too hard to understand.

What can be more catchy than battle.net? (I hate change REEE)

This is such a blizzard explanation. "While "SQUARE" is perfectly fine we felt SOME PLAYERS ARE TOO RETARDED TO UNDERSTAND IT so we change it to "TRIANGLE"" literally every patch note ever.

>Error 404 website not found

r u avin a giggle m8?

Good. I never liked the name Battle.net.

Eat shit nostalgiafags

worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/20297652/battlenet-update-9-21-2016

RIP web.archive.org/web/20041128024408/http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/

they should name the service ''Storm''. that would sound pretty cool

please user, stop

This. Nostalgic manchildren piss and moan because they're getting older and their favorite little hobby isn't meant for their age

like get over yourselves, fat asses. minecraft is no different than mario in terms of innovation and objective quality. you're just butthurt that kids are having fun these days while you're due for your first prostate examination in a few years

>tfw everytime i see anything about blizzard or blizzard related games, i remember there will never be a warcraft 4

why even live?

tldr: consolefags fault

Still giving a shit about Blizzard. I have bad news for you man child.

DELET THIS

[bait.jpg]

>The Blizzard we knew is now dead and buried.
No shit, are there even any of the old Blizzard team members left?

Even if they would announce a War 4, do you really want to see it from current Blizzard?

This isn't reddit where you can just advertise your own article.
What's the deal? Now it's not battlenet, I'm going to have to open up the ActiBlizzard Games Launcher if I want to play any of their stuff?

As always casuals ruin everything.

>People still give a fuck about ActiBlizzard

There's a lot of Overwatch and Hearthstone cucks on Cred Forums.
WoW-bros know their game is shit though.

first post, best post

>WoW-bros
>Not the biggest cucks of all
Blizzard games are played by troglodytes and nothing more.

does that mean i can name my new service battle.net? ??

Very good, but sad at the same time.

I miss this website.

stopped caring about blizzard once activision activated the acquisition

More like battle.kek

Blizzard has been shit for years, anyone with even an iota of talent left long ago.
Battle.net was, is and always will be a massive steaming pile of elephant shit.
Who cares? It's their fucking proprietary game software.
If Ubisoft announced they were changing the name of Uplay would you have a thread about it?

This is obviously about Blizzard and not its holding company.

>Blizzard
>Independent of Activision

>that orc loading screen from WC3

right in the feels breh

Metzen quit, and for all his efforts in turning Thrall into his OCDONUTSTEEL, he was the person driving this show. Samwise is gone, Bill is gone, everyone that made Blizzard what it once was is gone now, so there's little point in calling it the same company.

Blizzard has been a shitty company for a while now but the Activision influence is really shining through.

>everyone that made Blizzard what it once was is gone now, so there's little point in calling it the same company.
Hence why we call it ActiBlizzard.

man I used to go on there and look at the tier sets for each class and wonder if I would someday have that sweet sweet armor

you can thank Overwatch

>Pardo gone
>Metzen gone
>Roper gone
>Goblin King Morhaime still there
>B.net axed

And so the age of good Western development comes to an end, and the sun rises over Israel, more the richer for it...

Same user.

And then I actually started raiding in BC and couldn't feel more dead inside.

i was only 14 years old at the time, but god damn karazan was amazing. even if my spec consisted of casting ONLY shadowbolt over and over

All good things come to an end. Honestly, it should have ended sooner.

>console players are to blame AGAIN

dont you fuckers ever get tired of ruining everything?

Guys play Heroes of the Storm with me

Sometimes the outcome feels completely out of your control (because it is) but it can be cheap fun

To be honest, they still can make a fun campaign.
It's the story and the setting that would be bad. Writing probably too.

I was about to ask this. I guess they removed that feature a long ass time ago. Guess I have to look on MMO Champion or google to see what each new tier set is.

I was the same age and loved raiding when I first got into it. But toggling it with schoolwork and friends every night and shit with the set schedules that come with being in raiding guilds just made it feel so much more like a job than a game. By the end of WotLK I couldn't take it anymore.

I don't care about Blizzard but I don't see how this is a bad thing. You could not come up with something more generic and lame than battle.net, it's like something a kid came up with.

>mfw everytime I remember what they did to Diablo

And yet, in an age where people are literally trying to trademark the word "react", having a name as generic and short as possible is highly desirable to companies.

Not sure if they're going to keep the name locked up, but if they let it go for good you can be sure someone else is going to buy that shit up instantly.

Gotta have that BLIZZARD branding everywhere.

This decision reeks of suits.

Lead WoW character artist and st story guy quit too.

Artist is going to Riot. Must be getting real fucking bad over there to resort to Tencent.

It's not even about nostalgia though. They're basically saying new players are too absolutely retarded and can't associate battle.net to blizzard

>cracks or confusion.
In other words
>We market games to morons, they cant figure out Battle.net is Blizzard so we have to change it

Not sure why everyone complaining, i find it a good choice. 'battle' is way too aggressive maybe thats how they did it in the 90s but luckily for us its not the 90s anymore. they can go for a much more inclusive name that doesnt have violent connotation

who?

they were dead to me the moment they mentioned Diablo 3 was going to be online only.

/thread

YAMeRO

who cares what blizzard does
tell me when a real company does something

now back to your mobile game you freaks

so does that mean the name battle.net is up for grabs?

why does anybody give a fuck

most people will still call it bnet

I don't see how this effects me as a consumer

give up like i did years ago

just thinking about, there'd probably be a forced tutorial, an even shittier upkeep system, much more focus on heroes, than in warcraft 3.

hell, you'd be fucking lucky if it didn't turn out to be F2P garbage

>All notable talent leaving blizzard
>changing things like this

Blizzards gonna go full mobile.

Soon as Metzen left this company went to shit, its over ive unsubscribed

Pfff

I knew them as "Silicon & Synapse" playing lost vikings on SNES before half you farts were even born.

Why everyone seems so gloomy?

>battle.net getting dropped

WOW IT'S FUCKING NOTHING

Im trying to read the forums here is it possible just says error? there must be some golden age posts ehre would love to read them anyone know how?

WoW is already going mobile.

>want to laugh at this comment
>all i can do is cry

muh nostalgia

its the last nail in the coffin

>Pick WoW back up for Legion because my life is in the shitter now, so who cares, just killing time till I die.
>Trying to do lvl 1-110.
>Questing.
>Quests are interesting, take the time to read.
>Take time to explore, just like the old days.
>Get to around lvl 30 and all the quests seem like dull shit now.
>The only interesting ones seem to come once every so often, normally having something to do with the plague, or the Scarlet Crusade, Argent Dawn, etc.
>Turns out the only thing interesting is the plague lands and the undead scourge story related stuff.
>Get to 100, time to do Legion shit.
>Hey its my boy Tirion what up, cant wait to see what big major roll you have in the story this time.
>Tirion falls into green goo and dies.
>Paladin class hall, go get the Ash Bringer.
>Hey its Tirion, maybe he isnt dead yet!
>Dies.
>Solo Arthas, Tirion still there.
>Do questing near plague lands, Tirion still there.
>Hes dead and not dead.

Couldnt just let me have Tirion being a essential character huh, gotta shove the horde up my ass every second when Thrall and DA NOW DEAD WA CHIEF was the only things interesting?

not to sound like a fag but why is Orgrimarr still designed like a fucking retarded mess, why should I have to wait on an elevator to get up there, why should it be a fucking mess period!

>Core members have been leaving over the past 15 years
>Blizzard north shut down
>Metzen just left
>previous devs have pretty much told mike morheim that they're fucking up royally
>Rob Pardo quit

At least Pardo opened his own studio, but the riot games partnership is probably going to keep them from doing anything.

It's Blizzard continuing to remove the parts of itself that made it Blizzard. Removing the legacy team members and forcing Metzen into retirement, and now this just after his departure.

It's over.

This guy knows whats up.

Not only Metzen, Pardo took the Cinematics director and the BAttle.net dude

I miss Tirion already.

>play death knight
>get to the end of my class campaign
>the Lich King Bolvar's voice in my head says "GO GET TIRION NIGGA"
>oh fuck yes
>attack Light's Hope Chapel with Darion and the crew
>finally get to his grave
>too much light, abort
>Darion becomes my last horseman instead

RIP in piece Tirion. You would have been a GOAT death knight.

Triangle Fraternity was founded on high ethical and moral ideals, and expects the men of the fraternity to follow a set Code of Ethics, which is as follows:

As a member of Triangle, I recognize my obligation to:

Observe the precepts of the Fraternity as set forth in the Ritual;
Accept cheerfully my full share of any task, however menial, involved in maintaining a chapter home;
Preserve and promote the chosen ideals of my Fraternity;
Pay all personal bills promptly, and always live within my means;
Help create in my chapter home an environment in which enduring friendships may be formed;
Maintain a creditable scholastic record;
Promote the welfare of my profession;
Maintain my self-respect by proper conduct at all times;
Uphold faithfully the traditions and program of my Alma Mater;
Pay the price of success in honest effort.
Wow for some morally do-goody bullshit they sure are fucking ignoring it royally. I remember friends of mine getting fucking sick and emaciated over warcraft, I remember planetside and SWG shutting down.

Blizzard is literally fucking evil these days, especially after D3.

>This is what Blizzard shitsuckers actually believe

> the lost vikings
> rock'n'roll racing
> diablo II
> a decade of wc3
> fond memories of WoW

it's all gone. all lost. like sand in the wind.

Blizzard is finally offing itself, thank god.

Everyone's jumping ship to Bonfire Games, hopefully Rob Pardo achieve's his goals of having "community" driven games again, which means we'll see a bigger emphesis on multiplayer unlike most of blizzards games of late which focuses more on pure grind and forced competitive nature in a casual atmosphere.

>If Ubisoft announced they were changing the name of Uplay would you have a thread about it?
No, perhaps because 20 years ago, people didn't connect to Uplay to play on multi.

nice edge kid.

goes both ways

youtube.com/watch?v=FnLaFtmJUv4

>TFW blizzard used to be this awesome

lmao get over it fags

Blizzard is like the fucking apple of gaming, overpriced shit defended by elitist fanboys.

find another archive date, like during 2007

Jesus, this is nearly as a bad as not using Total Warhammer.

I wish I'd gone into marketing so I could fleeze companies for millions of dollars by telling them to get rid of anything iconic because its "old and out dated" and go for something simplific and bland.

RIP Blizzard 1991 - 2001

They're changing the name. That's it

But the reason for why they are changing their name is retarded as fuck.

>The world Battle is not the same as Blizzard
>We are afraid this will confuse our player base

good battlenet2.0 is a disgrace

They should give each of us 10 $ because that's how much a name change costs.

This is the company that said giving people more deck slots in Hearthstone would be too confusing for their player base.

What? Made it infinitely more fun with better gameplay and significantly less tedium?

They're keeping the same technology. They are just changing the name because. Because they're afraid their players would be too stupid to know that Battle.net = Blizzard and are changing to something like Blizzard.net.

I don't play RTS games but I hear constantly that Starcraft is the pinnacle of the genre. Is Starcraft actually an RTS for retards?

starcraft brood war was the best rts ever made. starcraft 2 was made by nu-blizzard for modern retards.

Considering Overwatch is the best selling game of all time and is insanely popular, mixed with Legion's stunning success, it's not farfetched people would care about one of the greatest PC game devs around.

The guy who made Battle.net probably owns it privately and is quitting.

Diablo 3 was also one of the best selling games too, it was still a shit game,

Overwatch is okay, but not great

Legion is boring as fuck, i've already run out of things to do and am already stuck in the WOD style "Log in once a day and play for 20 minutes" as I am not an altoholic.

>less tedium
fucking pottery every single time

Good thing I stopped playing neo-Blizzard games. Literally every single game on their launcher right now is boring as fuck.

Legion got boring 2 weeks in. Heroes of the Storm is complete garbage and the other MOBA alternatives are far superior. Starcrat 2 is completely dead and so is Diablo 3, which was never anything more than mediocre grindan trash. Overwatch is FOTM shooter #551582. Paladins is more fun anyway.

Basically this This is just so depressing. Blizz has become the Nintendo of the PC industry. But it's not like anyone who has been keeping track of their recent history couldn't foresee something like this. I'm just glad I haven't bought any Blizz games in a long time and have unsubbed from WoW for years; serves as confirmation that I don't want to have anything to do with them anymore.

thanks doc

Good, maybe I won't be banned from the new version.

> still won't be able to play Diablo 3

Bruh, I'm already putting the URL on my watchlist. If I get the chance, I'm dedicating the site to neo-blizzard being shit.

no wonder people are leaving. It's over.

>my feelings and relationship with a company are important, not the quality of the services they provide me

Whoever came up with this sheer fisting of an encounter can go fuck themselves. Do me a favor so I don't waste my guild's time on this kind of jackass shit-fest again, send me an email at [email protected] when you decide to A) Implement an encounter that wasn't designed by a retarded chimp chained to a cubicle A.)Get a Quality Assuarance Department C) Actually beta test the fucking thing and D) Patch it live. And please for god's sake -- do it in the order I laid out for you. Don't worry, I won't charge you a consulting fee on that one. And for good luck you might as well E) Pull your heads out of your asses. While you're at it rename the game to BetaQuest since you've used up you're alotted false advertising karma on the Bazaar and user interface scam of '01.Fix the Emperor encounter. Fix Seru. Rethink your time-sink bullshit. Fix all the buggy motherfucking ring encounters (I suggest you let whoever made the Burrower one do this since that dude apparently laid off the crack the rest of you were smoking). Fix the VT key quest. Fix VT (just guessing it's fucked up considering your track record). Don't have the resources to fix this stuff? Move the ENTIRE Planes of Power team over to fixing Shadows of Luclin AND DO IT NOW. If you don't fix Luclin, you jackassess will be the only ones playing the Planes of Power.

>Starcraft 2 is completely dead
When will this meme end?

>Basically this This is just so depressing. Blizz has become the Nintendo of the PC industry. But it's not like anyone who has been keeping track of their recent history couldn't foresee something like this. I'm just glad I haven't bought any Blizz games in a long time and have unsubbed from WoW for years; serves as confirmation that I don't want to have anything to do with them anymore.
Bunch of people leaving the company lately too, metzens retiring, couple of old designers are bailing, even their forum management nerds.

Something is up at blizzard, the question being...who cares?

They've been absolute garbage for years.

When you prove it wrong.

So what are they going to rename the Battle.net client?

To be fair he was right.

EQ1's end game was pretty bad, one of the things WOW greatly improved over its predecessors.

Unlike most of us, he actually went and did something about fixing one of the worst aspects of MMOs in his time.

Too bad he's stuck on the TF2 clone bandwagon.

Does it really upset you guys that much that they're changing the name of a website? It's not like any of their games have been great anyways.

Just Blizzard probably. Battle.net does not make sense anymore.

What quality?

This thread was done from the word go.

Just logged on and got a 4v4 in 30 seconds, looks pretty alive

The "Blizzard Client"

Why do companies always have to get worse every time they get huge?

They're just going to replace Battle.net with Blizzard.

appeal to lowest common denominator in order to make a larger profit

No one gives a single shit about ladder. It's an e-sport. The e-sport is fucking dead.

Too many cooks in the kitchen. In this case, too many suits that are too business-oriented without knowing or caring anything vidya-related making decisions about the future of a company in order to maximize profits. Pretty much bean counters who sit in offices and look at spreadsheets all day crunching numbers trying to figure out ways to cut corners, or reduce in one area, to increase in another. I imagine this decision was based around a board meeting where someone asked "Why is our digital distrbution platform called 'battle.net?' If we simply called it 'Blizzard' we'd get much more paying customers!" and everyone went with it.

How many long time staff left the company in the past month?

Something like 4 was it?

???? You need to lay off the memes kiddo

Also, completely dead would imply nobody plays it ever. How could you be this wrong?

He's one of the best game designers I can think of. His blizzcon presentations about the raid and class designs are fantastic as well.

Yeah, all people who were there for like 10 years.

>Kaplan the only old guard left
>Stuck as the face of Overwatch
>Metzen, Pardo and co. long-gone
>More recently Hazzikostas just about the only guy worth a damn left on WoW itself
>tfw imagining how soulless the workplace must be for them all

>all those literal-who countries and literally 0 NA tournaments

haha fucking dead game

It's like Bungie now.

Good things don't last forever user. Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

>tfw Blizzard joins Valve, Nintendo, Sega, Capcom, Konami, and all the other dead soulless companies in vidya heaven.

There's no money in RTS games. It requires a lot more work to feel like you're competent in an RTS. It requires taking blame upon yourself and analyzing your games. This is why MOBAs have killed RTS. I can hop into any MOBA and even if I don't do well I can just say it was my teams fault, because of that one time I carried a game. It's also easier to follow as a spectator game. RTS concepts are too abstract for normies.

Good riddance.
Battle.net 2.0 is a shill wearing the Battle.net name.

Everything good and/or unique about the original Battle.net was left out

????????

tbf the classic games team is slowly but surely growing, expect upscaled wc3 etc on BNETv2 to act as filler during blizzcon

Being dead would constitute little to no player base though, RTS'S in general aren't as popular but SC2 has more players than most Mobas besides the top three, not dead at all

Gee Steam should rename themselves to Valve Store then

rock n roll racing is blizzards best game

As a proud manchild, I object to your satements 100%.

Constant growth of profit and marketshare is the only thing in demand by the board/investors/business lads--there's no demand in growth as an artist.
And you increase profits to incredible levels by catering to a wider audience. Catering to your current audience and attracting a low number of new markets isn't as appealing.
in other words, capitalism ruins games

>Have arguably the greatest name for an online game service ever
>Get rid of it because 'unified brand'

Fucking hell Blizzard

>people started saying WoW was good ALL through wotlk

>Halo 1 is now good

>Skyrim is now good

People are fucking retarded

>Eat shit nostalgiafags
They never tried to implement Battle.net into WoW until 2013. Prior it was basically just the WoW launcher. I'm glad they're doing away with Battle.net. I think it's fucking retarded.

This.

>Value: Steam
>Ubisoft: Uplay
>EA: Origin
>Blizzard: Blizzard

How many Blizzard employees have left this Month along with Chris? seems like MMO-Champ has been posting a lot of departures.

I concur. Been playing since the early wow days. Battle.net seemed counter intuitive.

Thanks actiblizz suits!

Gotta make sure that BRAND is everywhere!

>Hazzikostas
>AKA. "MMOs are just about instanced raids right guys?"
No, Ion is cancer..

How good is Paladin's anyways?

But WOW never used battle.net until they implemented battle.net 2.0

But if you played early WOW you'd have known that.

youtube.com/watch?v=ioQWkWj5_ss

This is Rob Pardo

He left blizzard and made his own studio.

He'll hopefully J.J. Abrams this shit.

>meantime valves site name is "steam powered"
Shouldnt it be "valve.com"?

Yeah. Like Mark Kern.

Firefall was a fine game, it got worse when kern was let go.

reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1tuf3c/this_is_why_mark_kern_was_removed_as_ceo_by_red_5

I have no doubts that kern was stupid with money, but the game still went to shit after he left.

Because he already fucked it beyond repair.