Change difficulty from normal to hard

>change difficulty from normal to hard
>enemies deal more damage
>player deal less damage to enemies
>AI stays as dumb and passive as before

Is this how you autists try to have discussions in real life too? How do you expect people to respond to this? "Yeah that sucks lol"?

If you want a proper discussion talk about some games that do AI or difficulty well, instead of just complaining about something and giving no talking points.

Get out

not OP, but it's hard to talk about anything that I don't have strong feelings about at the moment, even in text form on an anonymous imageboard.

lurk more

>t. Todd Howard

>How do you expect people to respond to this? "Yeah that sucks lol"?
It's funny, because that's how 99% of normies talk.

Yeah that sucks lol

This is perfectly legitimate difficulty.

Enemy damage determines how many mistakes you can make, enemy health determines how long you have to stay focused for.

Take the hardest game in the world and turn down enemy health and damage it becomes easy.

If you can't beat a game because of a slight change in damage exchange, then you're not good enough to complain about the AI in the first place, since you clearly haven't mastered it.

Witcher 3, Devil May Cry 4 and Dust: Elysian Tail does this wrong. No game ever made does AI and difficulty well (because i don't play too much games xD).

>enemy health determines how long you have to stay focused for
more like how long do i have to stay bored. No excitement from fight when enemies just stand and wait there for your strike.

I would like them to dodge my blows, constantly attacking and force me to give my best. What games could you reccomend?
you proper discussion talk wanters?

are you retarded? i can still beat the game and it is still too easy

dmc scales REALLY well with the difficulties

Ninja Gaiden and DMC and God Hand all scale really well with difficulty. Bayonetta as well.

So instead of being able to tank 5 hits and spend 5 minutes on a boss, I'll only tank 2 hits and spend another 20 minutes doing the same routine.

Wow how fun.

>Are you retarded? Why don't you have knowledge of the game I never spoke about, and my personal experience with the game?

Enemies in killing floor 2 behave differently on higher difficulties. On lower difficulties they don't dodge but on high ones they do and larger enemies will defend their heads against headshots by blocking with their weapons/hands, plus the have different skills and run faster

Less time getting hit and generally sucking at the game, means more time dealing damage. It evens out.

Anons cant hold or start proper conversations, more at 11

Fuck you, I'm a great conversationalist.

>behave differently on higher difficulties
finally someone who knows what i am talking about. Reccomend me some games in which i can swing sword and enemies are not catatonic dumbasses.

>spend another 20 minutes doing the same routine
my nigga

dmc3 and god hand right off the top of my head.

>game does this
>regular enemies are incredibly deadly now, as their normally fast weak attacks deal serious damage now
>boss fights are exactly the same. sure they kill you in one or two hits, but their attacks are so slow and telegraphed that you never get hit

The problem with many games is that devs can't be arsed to think how to properly challenge a player (with good reason - shit's hard), so it becomes a stat game instead.
More enemy damage, spongy armor for enemies. That's what it usually is.

That's okay, but it should go both ways otherwise it's just a war of attrition and that's never fun.
For example, make enemies faster and stronger but also make the player hit harder or have new ways to use skills. That wat instead of just being a 20 minutes slog it is still an almost 20 minutes battle but every second is do-or-die.
Kingdom Hesrts Critical mode comes to mind.

Name 6 game that does that.

lol fuck off or lurk more you giga-nigga.

>"haha dark souls is soooo hard bro"
>its literally artificial difficulty: the game

>enemies are faster and have perfect aim

Another problem is that people claim they like it while they in reality don't. Getting flanked means you don't know what killed you and will just result in you getting pissed.

increasing lethality globally means less room for player error and makes you feel smart for overcoming minor challenges because you had to put a modicum of thought into it

The amount of times someone says "bullshit" after dying is directly proportional to the odds that they're a fucking moron.

thanks for the copypasta you fucking nimrod

>On hard, enemies get more skills
>Gives high defense enemies skills that allow them to reflect both physical and magical damage

While proposing solutions to problems is much rarer than merely bringing them, no problems get solved WITHOUT bringing them.

Naive optimism sucks. Lol.

OP here. My solution: changing difficulty to higher one keeps player and enemy stats (attack, armor, etc.) the same. Only enemy AI changes to be more agressive, mobile and smart. In strategy games this is common, i believe. But action games don't do that, which i do not find satisfying, my dear friend.

Ok, Killing Floor 2 is one game that do this, Kingdom Hearts on critical mode does not really do this, but may keep the player involved in the gameplay. Any more games????????????//?

people don't give a shit about good things

>turn up difficulty to max
>its a little more balanced but you'll still have huge problems rooted in the game mechanics
> the easier difficulties are even worse tho lol xD

Trouble ease, this can lead to a more tedious or grindy experience. Enhanced difficult should lead to enhanced challenge. That include creativity.

Some game formats naturally generate creativity, so merely altering parameters like bullet count, enemy health etc. is enough.

The problem with this is that if your game CAN have clever AI then why put it behind a difficulty wall? Clever and creative AI is very difficult to make, and hiding that behind an difficulty wall will mean a large portion of your audience will never see it.

That's the real problem.

Also AI is hard as fuck to code. Someone will respond to this with "lel, just make them run at you and hide when you see them", and those people can fuck off because they have no idea how the fuck complexity works in programming.

I composed this post about four minutes ago but for some reason it didn't send. My response to the issue is largely therein.

I'm of the opinion that if you're going to design a game with multiple difficulties then you should design it around the hardest or second hardest difficulty level and then take away abilities and stats from enemies as necessary. I feel like DMC, Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta all do this. On higher difficulties the AI dodges/parries more attacks and has more complex attack patterns that are harder to deal with and on lower difficulties they dodge less and have simpler attacks. Games like Witcher 3 and Halo just use sliders that adjust how many enemies there are, how aggressive they are, how much damage they do, and how much health they have without altering how the enemies fight at all. It's lazy and makes harder difficulty modes feel boring and unsatisfying to play.

Shut your whore mouth.

This was what I loved about Fear.

Upping the difficulty caused the AI to start doing things like squad based tactics. Still remember getting caught out in the office space level by some cunt, forcing me to duck into a cubicle.

While he kept me pinned by firing at the cubicle entrance he yells something to the effect of 'Over here!' And incites some jackass squad mate to come around and lob a grenade into the cubicle.

For a lot of games, improving AI isn't a question of reinventing some complex selection process. It's simply make enemies attack more frequently, rather that standing around like suicidal lemmings.

Not all games of course, but in my experience a lot of the Legend of Zelda titles would have a world of benefit from simply tightening the enemy reaction times and intervals, in a hard mode or otherwise.

>For a lot of games, improving AI isn't a question of reinventing some complex selection process. It's simply make enemies attack more frequently, rather that standing around like suicidal lemmings.
See, you're acting like this is somehow simple to do. Judging when and where to attack is extremely complex, to the point most humans are very bad at judging it, let alone a series of functions. Just throwing themselves at you until you're overwhelmed is also not clever AI.

>not OP, but it's hard to talk about anything that I don't have strong feelings about at the moment, even in text form on an anonymous imageboard.

>Responds to a shitpost

Bravo.

>letting you figure everything out yourself is artificial difficulty.
You seem to be missing a key part of artificial difficulty; namely, the "difficulty" part.

Ever played F.E.A.R?

I'm acting that way because it is. Enemies could attack the moment the player is in attack reach and the enemy's detection cone, a trivial calculation. Instead many games deliberately have the enemy wait for 1-2s after the player enters this range, perhaps out of a sense of balance. Well, sometimes it is balanced and sometimes it's just too easy, and tweaking this to make a challenging experience would cost little for the sake of doubling replay value.

The proof is when some enemies in these games DO attack the moment they can, following the same parameters as others which loll about.

>He WANTS to talk about vidya

no, but this is on my list already, just behind killing floor 2 and kingdom hearts with this critical thing.

>It's simply make enemies attack more frequently, rather that standing around like suicidal lemmings.

yes, this is what i want, this is what will not bore me, this is what will be FUN

FEAR still has in my opinion the best AI in a first-person shooter.

What do you mean?

Not a coder so genuinely curious, would differing AI be a pain in the ass to program and/or be a drag on other resources in game?

see it would not be pain in the ass

Is this thread already dead.

Want some good AI?
Play UT99/2k4 in godlike those fuckers sure know how to move

Any other singleplayer fps games you can recommend?

>Lob a grenade

Shit, I just started having flashbacks to the Misery mod I installed for STALKER.

Where all the enemies were omniscent supermen part of some hivemind gestalt or some shit.

See an enemy? Well, then he sees you.

He sees you? Well, then they all see you.

And once they see you they will always see you. Running into the bushes, behind walls, fucking anything won't do you a lick of good.

But that doesn't really matter, because the second the enemy saw you he and five others have started lobbing grenades from across the map with pinpoint accuracy. You better fucking move or you're fucking dead.

I gave up on the mod after that, I was trying to play as a Sniper but found it too difficult when I realized the AI was more accurate at throwing things at further distances than I was with my shots. Maybe the game would have played better with some assault class or some shit. I dunno.

Honestly interested:

Can anyone name a game where higher difficulty = more intelligent AI? (Instead of just more damage?)

yes, and it took nearly 60 posts to name 3 (three) games that have smart AI or are fun on higher difficulties (KF2, KH critical, FEAR)

I FUCKING HATE OBLIVION ON MAX
That shit was so broken and cheap.. props to anyone who 100% it on max

See this

Literally every RPG on existence.

>>/facebook/

Halo does both, better AI and more damage

just play on easy or normal
no more dmg sponges