Games are more expensive than ever

>Games are more expensive than ever
>This means that only like 3 AAA games came in year and everybody knows about them
>Tfw the ps2 age where consoles have a fuckton of vidya per year will never come back again
>New generation of consoles will probably not have hidden gems that are going to be talked on Cred Forums after a few years

It's what you get when companies decided to advertise grafix over mechanics to win over the market.
They technically shot themselves in the foot and face by making it a staple to make video games prettier and prettier over just focusing on mechanics.

The AAA market is bullshit =/= good games don't get released yearly

If Triple AAA publishers just looked at the pattern of indie games making a ton of dosh even with shit grafixs then imagine the quality of mechanics AAA games would get refocusing the budget to mechanics.

Too bad indie games are shit too. They are either copies of 8-bit/16-bit games or someone gets OKish idea and suddenly 10 more devs jump on the bandwagon and market gets flooded with a fuckton of shitty copy-cats and even the original doesn't get finished because Early Access.

Dumb anime poster...

You're painting the indie market with a really broad brush user, you're absolutely right there are problems but there is quality content to be found outside of the pixelshit you'd usually associate with the tag

SNES/N64-era games generally cost around $50.
Adjusting for inflation that comes to $92.06 today.
The SNES and N64 both cost $199 at release, which is $366.40 today.
Fuck off.

I'm talking about the costs of making a game, not about buying them you dummy dumb dumb

I don't really have any overwhelmingly positive experiences from indie games, though I only own ~100 of them.

Too many samey games, early access BS, finished games are lacking in content and features etc.

Though AAA-market isn't doing any better, fucking rehash of a rehash game after a game. Nobody dares to try anything radically new like in the mid to late-90's.

The 3D formula not changing is the problem. New hardware didn't necessarily mean better games after the PS2. 360 and PS3 were a graphical leap forward, and introduced some new genres, but it's not like it suddenly allowed for a flourish of new games like the jump from say PS1 to PS2 or 64 to Gamecube did. It's gotten harder and harder to make a game that isn't just a copy paste of another game.

>there's still hundreds of games from previous generations across many platforms that you haven't played yet
Quit your bitching.

And? that's like saying that it doesn't matters if movie directors stop trying to direct good movies because there are already a lot of films of the past

>publishers now spend more on advertising than they do on developing the actual game
>no one just floods the place with a bunch of free demo discs like in ps2 times, actually getting you interested
>no marketplace full of hundreds of free demos like in 360 times
>no teaser trailers or gameplay trailers you can actually download to keep the hype up, have to stream everything, fuck you rural customers
>everyone stopped offering demos because people were realizing how shit their games were and then didnt buy them, demos impacted most games' sales to a hugely negative degree
>THEY LITERALLY ADMITTED IT THEMSELVES THAT THEY WOULD RATHER BULLSHIT US TO GET MORE SALES AT RELEASE INSTEAD OF CONTINUING TO LET US SEE THE QUALITY OURSELVES BEFORE HAND

not the other user, but quite frankly, i cant be bothered to look through literally thousands of piles of steaming shit for maybe a half dozen little nuggets of maybe a few hours of fun each
i think painting the indie market with a really broad brush is exactly what should be done, because 99% of it seems like literal babby's first game developing, the indie market SHOULD be shamed for how utterly flooded with shit it is, and if a game rises above it to the point that it has ANY name recognition, it deserves to be considered the exception, and in my mind, no longer an "indie" game, because at this point, all the word indie means to me is stinking amateurish shit, not independent

>tfw videogames don't come with demos anymore

>tfw some games now come with free beta passes now
>effectively a limited time offer, half finished, online only demo, that helps them do THEIR job easier
>tfw

>games are more expensive than ever
>tfw old cartridges were $50+ in the 80s and 90s and the dollar was worth more.
Stop whining you spoiled little fucking faggot.

I don't know OP.

I'm thinking the issue is more the complete divorce between a generally creatively bankrupt AAA market (a few exceptions, but on the whole I find it's a honest description) and indie that dares to take risks but don't have the production values. The death of the middle studio basically.

Which as so many of the industry issues is a direct by product of the very industry practices themselves. The race toward a hit-driven blockbuster model that killed any studio that couldn't compete with costs explosion didn't happen by accident.

Hings are getting a *bit* better on that front I would say, but the truckload of other shit thrown at the customer makes it hard to appreciate.

With all the Season Pass faggotry going on lately he's not wrong
They're expecting you to pay $20-40 extra if you want everything in the game. Obviously if you have a brain you'll either just wait or pirate that shit but there's a lot of dumb people out there.

IMO the real problem is the death of most mid sized devs. Publishers realized they can make more money more reliably on super safe assembly line AAA games just by advertising them, then they can on giving a budget to a mid sized dev with a potentially good idea.

Most devs smaller than AAA these days are indies or funded by kikestarters. Publishers can be shitty a lot of the time but they do provide oversight that some devs apparently needed to not go off the rails too.

I'm talking about the cost of MAKING GAMES
not BUYING GAMES