Is it wrong to care about trophies/achievements?

Is it wrong to care about trophies/achievements?

Other urls found in this thread:

psnprofiles.com/pray4rock
youtube.com/watch?v=n8D9pKneQVk
kickstarter.com/projects/481281587/cheevos-the-movie-bboy360-reaching-100k-gamerscore
psnprofiles.com/IsChrisBlack
psnprofiles.com/OMG-Mudkipzz
psnprofiles.com/monteblommie
youtu.be/QflHRLW0Tz8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No. They reward you for exploring everything the game has to offer. I don't think I would do most no-kill playthroughs unless I could have gotten a trophy at the end.

No, as long as you actually enjoy getting them

I think they're fine. Sometimes I'll go out of my way to plat trophy a game I especially like.

Once I'm done with my Trails of Cold Steel II playthrough I'm DEFINITELY going to go back and plat trophy Ys VIII.

if you like them who cares what everybody else thinks?

>caring about videogames
just kill yourself already

Not until you buy 10 different copies of steins gate and sound shapes in different regions and platforms to get 1 hour platinums

This. For me Achievements kind of show how much I like the game. If I 100% the games achievements it means I love the shit out of it.

The best kind of achievements are the ones that serve as a list of optional challenges instead of "Kill 100 enemies with this weapon."

I remember doing the Annual achievement for Halo 3, that was a real challenge and actually had a good reward fitting for the effort.

They are mostly useless. Usually they don't relate to anything actually worthwhile in a game, and they nearly never correlate to any type of skill.

For the most part Achievements were made to sell prima strategy guides in an increasingly internet dominated landscape of guides.

Some games do them right, and manage to direct players towards avenues of enjoyment they may not have thought of themselves, but usually not.

That all said, videogames are just for entertainment, if you are entertained by getting trophies, then you should have your fun getting them. Only absolute faggots actually judge other players by having or not having achievements.

>trophy is online related
>online is dead

no I even buy games with easy plats to get my level up

those people are the biggest fags

fuck no, they show you aren't a fucking casual normie

Die in hell

Not really, as long as you don't buy multiple copies like said or buy shitty movie tie-in games for easy trophies.

Only if you let them dictate how long you actually play the game.

:^) those megamind trophies were tough

if your trophy level isn't at least 10 you're a fucking casual

Think about why achievements exist. In their perfect form, they're a little nudge for a player to explore game content. Step outside their comfort zone. Challenge themselves.

Your job is to distinguish good achievements from bad ones. Try to figure out which ones will show or teach you something cool rather than drag the game out.

It's fun if they have impact on the actual game. For example, you can play through and beat the game normally. But, there are some secrets on the side that the achievements reveal.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is they should have an in game reward and not just the achievement itself. Literally no one cares unless maybe you have a group of 20 competitive best friends playing the same thing and like to share.

As long as you don't do shit like buying that Hannah Montana game for an easy platinum, there's nothing wrong with aiming to achieve them

Dark Souls did this to me, it was the only reason I replayed it.

It's a neat way to expand the game time. Unfortunately, some achievements are almost impossible to get on old/dead games.

>good achievement
find and open the secret door

>bad achievement
kill ten thousand bears and collect their asses

I love them, haven't really pushed myself into getting platinum trophies in awhile.

psnprofiles.com/pray4rock

youtube.com/watch?v=n8D9pKneQVk

>terrible achievement
start the game

this

>only 60% of players have this achievement

Yes, this carrot on a stick bullshit was the death knell for video games as it invited this kind of person to set up shop forever: kickstarter.com/projects/481281587/cheevos-the-movie-bboy360-reaching-100k-gamerscore

It's not wrong to care about them. Go for it. Do what you want.

I however, don't give two flying fucks about them.

only 2 sly games?

Literally me and my Wipeout 2048 journey

Achievements are good when they are fun or challenging to get. Nobody likes doing the "get 1000 kills" ones or "be #1 in the leaderboards".

It's not wrong but I think significantly less of as a gamer

>never bothered to get the achievements on TF2
> go on an achievement hunt
> every arena map is saxon or randomizer
>dead maps everywhere

76% is as far as i could get

>online viral achievement
>online is dead

>achievements that are now unobtainable

Achievement servers were my life when I was 12 - 15

I buy games to play and get their trophies and then I end up never touching them.

psnprofiles.com/IsChrisBlack

Feel free to add me if you like.

Yeah, I liked the first game.. but the 4th game burnt me out. I should have played them into order.

>Achievement is to be the #1 ranked player
>Servers are dead
>3 people have this achievement

Imagine how good it would feel to have one of those.

What game has this achievement?

I had to go to one for the parachute achievements, shit was tedious.

I think Quake and Ghost Recon on the Xbox 360 have those achievements. I don't know if the servers are up anymore though.

GRAW on Xbax

its just retarded

>collect their asses

>post yfw you see multiplayer trophies

>I only play for like 4-5 hours per week
>Keep buying games
It will never end.

psnprofiles.com/OMG-Mudkipzz

Want to get the platinum for Dark Souls 3, but I ain't about to grind for those pvp covenant items.

squaresoft is pretty good at achievements in this way, like kingdom hearts has ones for speedrunning the game, never changing equipment
ff8 has one for never leveling

I mean they are still full of standard "you got to plotpoint _" and "beat the game at these difficulties" ones, but they at least tried a few things new.

v will tell you yes because they hate anything modern.

fuck off memer

>ff8 has one for never leveling
how does leveling work in ff8?

You siphon magic from enemies and allocate it towards your stats.

It is fun to do with friends.

I only get platinum trophies in hard games like Souls series, BB, Metal Gear Rising, Furi, DmC etc., also in the games that i really like - Uncharted 4, Bioshock Infinite

DmC is the exact opposite of hard. Hell and hell may be the only difficult thing in the game.

Its still hard on DMD too. Not THAT hard like previous games, but still.

Squaresoft is dead you fucking liar.
Only squeenix remains.

I wish there was a way to completely disable them from appearing. I don't mind people wanting them, I just want nothing to do with them and find them annoying when they pop up while I play a game.

>PS2 games on PS4 have trophy support
>mfw GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas, Bully, and Max Payne now have platinum trophies

I have the plats for the GTA ps2 games. And I'm close for Bully. I have Max Payne, but I don't think it has a platinum trophy.

>complete game on hard difficulty
>only get trophy for hard and not the difficulties below it as well

If they were an in-game checklist (like Skill Points in Ratchet & Clank), literally nobody

And I mean absolutely nobody

Would have a negative opinion about them.

The only difference between that and Trophies is that the latter is tied to an account, so there's an "e-peen" factor.
People don't like that, but it isn't as though people don't have dick measuring contests about literally any other sort of achievement in a game.

you can disable them popping up
bully has trophies??!? I have it for ps3 and never got any...

Bully has trophies for the PS4 version. All the PS2 for PS4 games have trophy support.

>not familiar with collecting bear asses
I mean it's a pretty old meme but damn

would I be able to download it from psn on ps4 and get trophies?

without buying it again..

If you buy it...It's not cross buy.

I like the skill-based ones that might push me to try something I otherwise wouldn't have. Things like Muramasa's kill a boss with no damage or Toukiden's kill an Oni with no armor or mitama are good fun. Grinding like get every character up to max level is not fun. I came pretty close to the platinum for Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 but it wanted me to grind over 40 characters and collect every weapon and fuck that.

I know they get a lot of shit but I also really like achievements that you get merely from progressing in the game. I like seeing just how far other people got and how many of them reached the end.

ahh darn

As long as you don't let them dictate how you play or your ability to enjoy the game, I know some people who won't play games they can't 100% if you love the game enough i'd say go for it there's tons of other pople doing the same thing.
>mfw going for the soulsborne plat marathon
>on DaS III
>those 107 rings
>mfw no face

name 2 (two) games that do this

Did they ever fix the drop rate on the Proofs of Concord?

Muh nigga

but this is Cred Forums you klnow...

[Glass Him]

I used to be really into achievements when I was younger, specifically on the Xbox. My gamerscore is somewhere around ~100,000 to this day, but I don't play on Xbox anymore and haven't for years. I even remember buying some shitty TMNT game just to get an easy 1000 gamerscore. Back then, there was (and probably still is) a large community with people who play literally every xbox game to get every single achievement possible, I remember seeing people who would buy these piece of shit Barbie and Hanna Montana / MLP, etc. games just to get an easy 1000 gamerscore.

I just don't have time to give a shit about achievements anymore. I mostly play on PC and steam does have achievements for many games, but I don't go out of my way to get them. I'll playthrough the game the way I want to play through it, and if I get achievements along the way so be it, but I don't specifically go out of my way for them.

All that said, I still like achievements, I have fond memories of doing the Halo 3 achievements with friends, such as the co-op ones with skulls on (can't remember what it was called but it was difficult, last level Halo 3 with ghosts and Iron on).

The only people who hate them are those that are pissed that everyone can see how awful they are at video games.

Kingdom Hearts

this is true

they're completely optional, it's also buttblasted Nintendo fanboys who defend Nintendo's laziness to implement them.

for absolutely what purpose?

I don't know and I really don't feel like replaying it on easy and normal just for trophies. It sucks because those are pretty much the only ones I need for the plat.

put a pin in it and come back to it at a later date

it'll be much easier with some cool off time in between playthroughs

maybe a month or so? maybe even a year if you want.

just don't let all that work go to waste.

platinums last forever after all.

As someone who's pretty OCD about being a completionist, I hate them.

It's harder to enjoy video games now, because I spend so much time worrying about trying to 100% the game than I do actually just sitting back and enjoying the adventure.

It's my own fault, obviously, but I do wish that achievements never existed.

Play on an alt account

no idea that ever happened i just used the gold serpent ring with 20 points in luck and managed to get it, took about 10 hours total

My first platinum was Ken's Rage
I went on a three day tear after that

I like doing them if I enjoyed the game, especially the hard difficulty achievements.
But I never do the "collect the 300 items on the map" achievements.

>posting a random anime girl with your wall of text
Annnnnnnd.. ignored

>Annnnnnnnnnnd... ignored

You have to be 18 to post here, kid.

I only give a shit if I end up at like 85%+ for a game during normal play.

Like Warframe on the PS4, I'm at 90% and I never made an active attempt to finish that shit off. So, since I'm so close, I'mma get those last couple of achievements.

However, if I see a trophy is a multiplayer related, and more specifically multiplayer RANKED related, I just give up on it. Sorry, Digimon Cyber Sluts. No plat for you because I don't want to match the autism of PvP.

The online multiplayer archivements make it even worse.

I hate stupid ass achievements.
>FFXhd
>Dodge lightning strike 200 times consecutively
Yeah....nah nigga aint gon happen

my nigga

Just so you know, the Cyber Sleuth multi trophy also unlocks if you beat 30 AI opponents found through the match making. You can just hit cancel on any match with a real person and keep reloading until you get an AI. The AI are, however, real motherfuckers. That trophy was almost as much of a pain towards my Platinum as getting all of the medals.

It's honestly not as bad as it seems. Grating, sure, but once you get a good rhythm going, the only hard part is making sure you actually dodge 200 before you leave the screen, find out you only dodged 199, and have to start over.

I'd say the fucking monster coliseum was the biggest pain towards the Platinum. At least Yojimbo exists if you just want to cheese the super bosses.

It wouldnt be so bad if it didnt have to be consecutive. Guess my reflexes aint as good as they use to be.
>mfw getting old

I remember doing this back then for the PS2 version to get a special weapon. It was really frustrating.

>rewriting the whole long instead of highlighting to quote
Heh. you gotta be 18 to post here kid. Them's the breaks.

EDF 4.1 has a trophy for each class for each difficulty, meaning that you have to do somehting like 1400 missions in total (four classes, four difficulties, 89 missions).

I'm never going to plat this game.

It's pretty wrong.

rate my 209 platinum trophies
psnprofiles.com/monteblommie

Wrong? This isn't about ethics or whatever. Caring about achievements is just stupid.

What was the most difficult platinum on the list?

>game has X weapons and Y skills
>all the cheetos are kill 999 bad guys with every weapon and every skill
>there's not even enough bad guys in the regular game so you have to play ngp to kill more bad guys

Probably ninja gaiden sigma + on vita.

>complete master ninja with all master ninja ranks
>complete all trials on master ninja

The only plats i have are for VLR, ZTD and Bloodborne.
Probably because they are the most direct ones to get without bullshit objectives.

The chalice dungeons were rather painfull to do in bloodborne.

The path to just reach the end is not that bad besides maybe the hot dog.

Getting Platinum for Demon Souls is pretty annoying. Especially getting every special weapon and spell without cheating.

Sigma 2+ is impossible to complete without TAS shenanigans, on higher difficulty trials the game runs so slow and your ai partner is so dumb that you can't do anything besides dying.

kinds of achievements
>story related
a la beat the 1st, 2nd, 3rd boss, find this mandatory quest item etc.
Only useful to check how soon casuals give up on a game

>natural achievements
Things like die 200 times, or kill 500 of the enemy you see in every area
Completely useless as you get them sooner or later
>grind achievements
Only for autists
>secret achievements
???
>Achievement achievements
Require you to do something really impressive no luck or grinding involved

remember when xbots paid other people to get the cheevos for them? That's when it's wrong.

Then stop buying games you won't play like a retard?

Getting it on the vita is pretty easy since the input lag is almost zero.

I am aware, i have played ng2 on 360 and it was okay but i heard sigma 2 has a lot of bullshit changes so i never bothered buying sigma 2 on ps3.

>tfw no cute dragonbuddy to plat games with.

I hope to be you one day.

I only have 22 because I dropped Xbox on the day of their 2013 press conference.

Weirdly, I never cared for achievements.

Sigma 2 plus is literally impossible. No matter what you do, you cannot beat it with the AI partner

>Be 1st in the Leaderboards

This kills the man.

I had 112000 gs back in 2012 when i dropped the 360 and went with ps3 and later ps4.

It was mostly because i was fed up with the kinect and now i am afraid again of sony focussing too hard on vr.

Arbitrary, make-believe gaming achievements/trophies are for those who have no real achievements of their own, yet they somehow need to support their dying ego.

Sony at least has the smarts to drop shit that doesn't work, Microsoft jammed that Kinect down everyone's throat.

I wonder how many people they drove away with their antics: youtu.be/QflHRLW0Tz8

Rayman legends on vita had a nice variation of this kind of trophy.

You had to be top 1% on a daily challenge and you could try all day to better your scores.

Grinding trophies can be an absolute pain, but if I'm honest, I'd rather grind than go for online trophies, because I hate playing with people. (Yet I still bought Toukiden...)

That isn't so bad, because at least it mimics an in-game achievement that you get rewarded for

If it was "Dodge two hundred lightning bolts for absolutely no reason other than to get this trophy" then it'd be up there as one of the worst

t. can't beat his favorite game on the hardest difficulty

Shit! I couldn't even finish the game on the easiest difficulty. Now I feel like the skrubbiest skrub.

Post trophy statistics

So that's why I don't mind grind achievements

Might try that one because I actually like Rayman Legends (on vita)

Considering so few people play the vita version, you pretty much have to be among the best in the world to get top 1%

If I really can't get it, it's just one game i can't finish. I already got a few of those (thanks to online being down. Actually considered making another account but that'd be a waste of games. so fuck it, i bought em, now I'll have them on that list.

I used to think it was fun to try and unlock them, but since games don't really come out anymore I don't care as much. Just fun ones. Modern Warfare 2 had some of the best achievements/trophies in any game I've ever played. I 100%'d it, and it's one of the very few games I've ever cared enough to do that with.

Trophies/Achievements are a nice thing to work towards sometimes. Personally I kind of use it as a measuring stick of if I've properly experienced a game or not.

I just finished a playthrough of Okami HD today where I attempted to get all of the trophies, so that includes finding all the stray beads and even grinding out the fishing minigame to catch every type of fish. It was a pretty enjoyable experience tracking down all of the stray beads in the game and experiencing the enemy gauntlets, especially the gauntlets, because the game hands you so much free shit that a competent player wouldn't need on a casual playthrough, but they become pretty necessary by the last few legs of the last enemy gauntlet. I mean shit, going up against three Nagi clones is a bit ridiculous. I would have been much more of a chore to fight him if I didn't have an inkfinity stone to spam him with cherry bombs.

In the end, I ended up missing out on completing the beastiary, due to a couple of enemies that only spawn in areas that you can't revisit. Normally, I'd say I can't be fucked to play through the game again just to fight those two enemies, but since I got all the stray beads, I have unlimited ink, health, and 10x damage to rush through to the parts I find them at. So in this case, I do care about achievements/trophies.

This. I replayed HL2:EP2 carrying that gnome through the games entirety so I could launch him in the rocket at the end for a silly achievement.

just got a ps4, what are some good weeb or exclusive games to get?

Trophies have replaced ingame rewards for completing bonus content

In games like Okami 100%ing the game got you a bunch of alternate skins and bonus movies

games today don't have any of that, just trophies, and any kind of bonus skins or special weapons are now dlc.

So trophies arnt the problem, rather the problem is what they replaced.

Gravity Rush Remastered
Digimon Cyber Sleuth

Care in a 'flex my epenis' way yes, care in a way to keep playing the game in order to achieve certain goals? no

>couple of lines
>"wall of text"

You have to be over 8 to post here friend

good fucking lord

thanks anons

GRAW has its servers up. They did reset the leaderboards ONCE since release. It is obtainable with several xboxes boosting for 6 months. Most people have it that way.

I wonder what his IQ is

HOLY FUCK THE DESIGN ON THESE TROPHIES LOOK SO FUCKING BAD. What the FUCK. DID I TIME TRAVEL BACK TO 2006 OR SOMETHING

I like achievements and always try to max out my games. Achievements don't affect what games I play BUT I'm seriously mad when developers put in unfair things in their games. Like they expect this and that but it is extreme suffering to do it because bugs they left in the game. Or when developers put shit achievements in DLCs. Like the entire base game is comfy and shit and they add an extreme challenge in the DLC. I don't know if it is worse when the DLC is just, so here is "10 brain dead chevoos under a hour if you pay 10 bucks btw the DLC is meaningless".

this