What made the original armor so perfect?

What made the original armor so perfect?

you being 12 at the time

It looks like an actual bulky exosuit

It makes Chief look like a walking tank and Its not some modular piece of shit anime inspired type armor that the new Halo uses.

Eh, I always liked 2 and 3's Mk VI the best

Has aspects of Doomguy and Ranger's armor integrated into it.

nostalgia

It didn't have the stupid indentations in the visor

It's less visually busy.

Looks like motocross gear tbf

Plates are placed in areas for protection, vest covers vitals+. Pouches and a very thick inner armor layer show rugged and sturdiness. Helmet has visor placed to limit reflection, user overhead blind. Boots have form, not anime-tier with pieces of metal sticking out that would cause trip/fall hazards.

Armor actually covers the body, but does not restrict movement, I cannot emphasis this enough.

tl;dr shit's practical

I have no idea why they didn't go with the concept art they had.

A perfect mix of weebshit and practicality.

I keep thinking back on what they did with ODST and how they got rid of marine armor. It will never stop hurting how god damn bare bones the marines on fucking earth looked compared to a basic ship compliment.

hand wave that shit all you want with your retconns and updated lore.

It's the bulkiness of it. It makes Chief look much more huge then the other armors did.

CE had the best campaign.

>tfw no decent Starship Troopers game ever

I remember reading one of the Halo novels way back and there was all this stuff about how the suit would break the arms of non spartans and such because of the strength and speed in it.
The new armour designs look like they could just be worn by any marine.

It didn't look too stupidly overdone like some armor is done today.

The graphics were so shit you couldn't actually see how badly designed it was.

Try Dawn of War 2

> posts shitty anniversary version

What the fuck are you doing?

>The new armour designs look like they could just be worn by any marine.

Hasn't it been over a decade or so? Tech advances.

And it had practicality with all of the ammo pouches across his abdomen. Mark VI a shit.

Yup

it wasnt an armored bra with bulky pauldrons and dodecahedron tier helmets

Visual storytelling.

Unless you're implying the newer Mjolnirs can be worn by a regular marine, which goes against the original concept of the armour.

This, it's just a generic bland, uninspired looking sperg with a biker helmet.

I'm just saying tech getting smaller and better is to be expected. Though I got to say I think in the 343 Halo games it feels like tech had advanced faster than it should.

Visual storytelling.
Unless you're trying specifically to subvert an expectation then the big strong supersoldier should look like a big strong supersoldier.

fpbp

>expecting 343 to understand a concept like "Visual storytelling"

They have access to Forerunner tech now, though. They were able to slap energy shields on Mark V armor after only a few encounters with Covenant forces, procuring Jackal shields to study.
If they can do that so fast, it shouldn't be surprising what they can do with much more tech to study.

>What made the original armor so perfect?
Nostalgia

he couldn't even walk through narrow hallways in the novels without having to adjust the suits shields because they'd repel against the walls. Details like that were cash

Gears of War armor > Bungie Halo armor >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 343 Halo armor

Those early Halo novels were great.

The diapers which would freak out when he died.

Mk VI was better.

It's not over-designed. Most likely due to tech limitations but it looks reasonable and clean, with just enough detail.

Modern videogames have normal maps out the ass, so they feel the need to add clutter and useless details, indentations, hexagons, carbon fiber texture, lights, slots, lines and all that bullshit everywhere that has no apparent use and doesn't look good. All modern games have this problem to some extent. Also big budget games struggle to have consistent art direction.

Halo 3 and ODST were the last Halo game to have reasonable and clean armor designs. Same thing happens with weapons, older designs have clean distinguishable lines, modern designs have a bunch of normal mapped details that have little to no point.

Gears of war armor is literally retarded
>Puts all this heavy oversized shit on arms and legs
>Leaves head completely exposed

In the Gears of War universe, helmets attract sniper bullets and giant worms. Smart choice is to leave them off.

Gears of War armor is shit, and your opinions are shit.

I dont like the new armors the new games have. They dont look like protective, power armor. Hard to put it in words, but they look too sleek and slim, like something from a far more advanced sci-fi like Mass Effect than Halo.

In a perfect world.

>hexagons, carbon fiber texture, lights

The unholy trinity of generic overdesigned aesthetics

I miss the mighty mjolnir codpeice and pouch belt

This literally looks like a skin suit with plates glued to it

What the fuck is going on with that entire shoulder area

Halo 3 had the best one.

>What the fuck is going on with that entire shoulder area
Ever since Reach introduced customizable armors, pieces of the armor tended to look like they're floating.

Why do Spartans have huge asses?

>That friend who wasn't allowed to play the games
>He was allowed to read the books

Not sure his parents made the right choice, those books were way more violent than the games.

>that kid that pronounced mjolnir as "emm jall near"

They do lots of squats.

The Marine armor for Halo Wars 1/2 and H2A is the best ever.

The Gen 2 suits pretty much can be, just give them their baby-tier augments and they can wear the suit. The new suits are just the nanosuit from Crysis, not actual 1-tonne hulks of death.

Too much of him is exposed in that, I'd like to know why 343 thinks Mjolnir needs to have open spaces for bullets/plasma to hit.

>center mass is not protected at all
>hips, groin, kidneys, and lower-back exposed
>shoulders exposed, pouldrons provide minimal protection
>feet aren't completely encased in armor

Not that I'm defending this shit because post-3 designs are terrible, but it kinda makes sense if you think about it. His armor is all weak and exposed because he's got shields.

Halo 1, the game where the largest percentage of your life was health, the armor was also the bulkiest.

As the games went on, and his shields took up larger and larger percentage of his entire life points, the armor got slimmer and slimmer.

Sort of, I dunno. Just playing devil's advocate here.

Right looks like he's wearing a bra.

UT armor >>>Halo:CE>>>>>>GoW>

Mjolnir was always designed with shields as a bonus, in Halo 1 you're wearing MkV which is the first suit with shields. You don't cut back on armor protection just because you have shields, all it takes is a plasma bolt or a small EMP to knock them out.

They should've stuck to proper design and not go full anime tier with designs.

>UT armor
>posts a robot

I thought Xan wasn't a robot though.

It's actually never stated concretely. He is part of the robot team though.

Gears armor and art design has always been terrible dude. Bungee actually has competent artists.

I mean it wasn't stated for sure in UT99.

He is a robot for sure in UT2004 and up.

I guess that would explain the mark 1-4 designation now that I've looked him up.

Don't mind me, just showing that 343 gives no respect to the origin of the franchise whatsoever...

The fuck's that thing on the left?

Mark V in halo 5

And here's ODST.

How do they manage to fuck up the aesthetic more and more very time they make a game?

>the original concept of the armor
It's been like 30 or more years since the armor was first invented in the story

I have no idea, maybe their artists are used to capeshit rather than the military aesthetic halo was known for

This doesn't look too bad though.

It's not but it's not shit like the other two on the right in

Why are his shoulder pads giving him the hover hand?

It's look 10x better of the shoulder armor was actually on his shoulders.

You're kidding, right? It looks fucking terrible

The armor relies mostly on energy shields, so there's not much reason to keep more bulk than necessary.

Reach will always have the best designs.

Yeah the helmet is kinda shit but the armor is fine. Kinda needs the pouches to cover the abdomen though.

One thing that has always kind of broken immersion for me was the fact that the visors never fog up.

Like, obviously they dont, because it's a game. But I mean, if the suit were real, and you wore it, the inside of the visor would fucking fog up all the time from heat and perspiration the moment you started some activity.

It's the year 2550, I'm sure they'll come up with some anti-fogging technology by then.

You don't think they thought of that?

It's the 25th century and they are making literal superhumans in insanely advanced armor. I'm pretty sure they planned for visor fogging.

Yo I watched alien sequel for the first time the other week and it ruined this entire game for me, how.did.they get away with straight plagiarism

Looks like Lego.

All of Bungie's UNSC designs looked like actual military hardware.

RIP
F

God damn putting them side by side makes the 343 one looks like a graphic artist's rendition of a fourth grader's rendition of the real armor.

Why is 343 so goddamned incompetent with their fanfic?