>330 employees

What do they actually do?

Do they even make games anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FNgjecJY76g
youtu.be/50lSIaSR3zc
valvesoftware.com/company/people.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They are prob working on something huge, but I would love to see it flop. They don't even need to make games since they already earm enough selling other people's games at ridiculous prices.

Did they fall for the Valve Box Meme ?

they're keeping DOTA 2 and CSGO up to date, silly

It used to be a sweatshop for making hats. Now they capture vagrants and skin them alive or something.

But the size of both the Dota and CSGO teams are probably less than 20 considering most people do their work for them in the workshop and the teams tend to switch from one project to another.

they technically still have hl3 team.

but also
>steam vr
>market place
>support
>dota 2 (including international and majors)
>tf2
etc

Maintain Steam
Steal peoples' creations and sell them as their own
Maintain Dota 2
Patch CSGO a few times a year
Slowly kill TF2
50 people alone are delegated to Gaben's ass wiping duty
Another 50 are tasked with carrying his food to him
Release new crates every now and then

Valve is a shell of its former self, yet they are making more money than ever by not making games.

Didn't the writer for Half Life retire a while back?

Dota 2 CSgo tf2 skeleton game maintence crew
Steam infastructure
vive development
source engine 2 "devlelopment"
scouring workshops for skins to sell
figuring out ways to monetize the platform more

They are praising Lord Gaben.

>they technically still have hl3 team.
You're naive to think this.

Kelly Bailey and Marc Laidlaw leaving Volvo should have been the final nail in the coffin for anyone thinking Half-Life 3 will ever see the light of day.

lawyers, pr, customer support, few people to uodate csgo and dota, hardware guys, and a couple guys working alone on games that will never come out.

>secretly building a valve ark for when the end time comes and the vidya crashes.
>Gabens ark opens up and Half-life 3 comes out during a very sparse and bleak year for video games.

A man can dream.

There's no hierarchy due to the "flat land" thing, so nobody ever gets anything done.
Must be a great place to work, though. Sitting on a pillow in a colorful room playing with play-doh all day.

most of their employees do things like advertisement, human resources, finance, partner relation, which games are we going to make a discount...etc the dev are a minority and keep their online game up to date

i dont think it will ever come out. but they do still have a "hl3 team"

that is why i prefaced it with "technically"

steam vr
steam consoles
steam big picture (i think that's what it's called)
dota 2 csgo tf2 hats
dota 2 internationals
source engine 2
maybe MAYBE just MAYBE left4dead 3
baking goods and sweets

I wonder if Half Life 3 came out in the near future with all the amazing things we would expect.Would Cred Forums still call it shit ?

Also development of different open source projects to undermine microsofts push on the pc market.

>which games are we going to make a discount
That's not really up for them, except for their own games

They don't even have a HL3 team at this point. It's about as likely as a Ricochet 2 team existing.

They work on the Steam client and steampowered.com backends, monitor latency and other metrics for regressions or spikes/abnormal values and have people doing routine maintenance in their various datacenters across the globe. It takes a lot of people to support a 24/7 worldwide service.

Source: I work at Google.

>Source: I work at Google.
When and how are Google going to deliver their inevitable global assfucking
Can I get in before it happens

people within valve have themselves said that there is still a "skeleton team" working on hl3.

i dont necessarily believe it, nor do i actually give a fuck, but idk why they would even bother mentioning it since it doesn't matter one way or the other if it is or isn't being developed at this point.

What's the size of their support team? Is it 5 people who can't speak english or 3 people who can barely speak broken english

are you sure? they probably ask the publisher to negociate which game can be added to the sales

Seriously OP with all those money do you still think they work on games?

They're probably singing and making songs.

youtube.com/watch?v=FNgjecJY76g

I know this is a bit off topic,but can anyone tell me why there are so many Mediocre JRPG's and Light Novels popping out over steam? Do they even sell all that well?

Here is the HL3 Team

Easy money at a time when Jap game sales are collapsing causing devs to struggle

Shill CSGO, DOTA 2, TF2 and steam on Cred Forums

yes.

Two of the most well known Half-Life veterans at Valve, Marc Laidlaw and Kelly Bailey left a while back.

>2013
One can only assume the current "team" is basically a skeleton crew.

Pretty sure Laidlaw is not working at Valve anymore.

Most of valve's staff is weird things like psychologists so they can figure out exactly what kind of shit they can get away with.

>TF2

Yeah, like 4 years ago or something.

yea he's gone. but im sure there is still a large team

Does the TF2 team (Which is probably like 7 people (including the creator) even play their own game ?

I can't believe there's people out there stupid enough to think valve has dumped billions of dollars on a team of dozens working for a decade and has nothing to show for it.
Fun fact: all these people are working on shit for dota 2 and tf2.

Based on what?

Honestly? They just fuck around.

I worked near them and they would use our facility for basketball practice. They actually had MOST OF THE COMPANY take a month off for a Hawaiian vacation all company paid.

God I would love to work for them.

>they left because Valve wasn't making games any more
>literally nothing they can work on with crate simulators

They can work on levels and story and AI all they want and never actually release the game.
HL2 was to highlight Steam, hl3 would be good to highlight VR.

You really don't need much manpower when you can just print money with steam

lol they make good engines you silly

pic related heres my work using the stellar source engine haha its so great right :)

No, except for one guy. But honestly do most game devs even play their games (excluding playtesting)?

kill your fucking self

>valve has dumped billions of dollars on a team of dozens

anyone at valve can work on anything they want. its kinda valve's thing.

sounds like a SoL anime

Anyone has the pic of that Chet guy going full blown libtard?

Honestly after seeing he's one of Valve's writers, I hope HL3 doesn't get made. He would infect it with some retarded shit.

I don't understand why people were so upset with this in that one thread. It just looks like an unfinished map, what's the deal?

You need to fuck 120% of the way off.

So was TF2 Ranked ever fixed ?

Is this supposed to be Source 2?

the fact that he was using it in his portfolio and received final grading for that level is nothing more than a failure of the education system.

It seems most likely that part of the reason he left was because his work was already done, and had been for a while. Sitting on a hard drive somewhere, the complete story of Half Life is waiting to be told.

It should be noted that Valve still has Wolpaw and Chet, who have also worked on writing for the Half Life series. What other writers are at Valve that have worked on Half Life?

it's not the map (actually it kind of is), but primarily the uploader of the image

>selling other people's games at ridiculous prices.
Yeah, at ridiculously low prices.

Valve really doesn't have to make games anymore to stay profitable. If I recall, Valve makes like $100,000,000 a year thanks to their F2P games/skins/etc. I'm getting my info from The Know/Roosterteeth:
youtu.be/50lSIaSR3zc

>setup marketplace
>sell cosmetics
>people willingly give their money to you every single day
>barely have to release anything yourself
>just smile and nod
>mfw TF2 alone has made them several million dollars per year, not even taking into accountt hat CS:Go and DOTA2 make well over 100 times that

I can't hate them for being financial geniuses. It's just like how Nintendo can piss off people with Color Splash and Federation Force, but come time to release a new Pokemon, they're swimming in money.

Precisely whatever they want. A employee handbook was leaked a few years ago. Employees can work on any project they want at any time, and if nobody wants to work on a project then it doesn't get done. It's surprising that people are still wondering what happened to Half Life 3.

>$60
>ridiculously low
???

Valve employees have it easy and collaborate when they want to. Makes for great games but takes forever for them to actually put out a game. They mustve had a work hard on around the Orange Box era.

>low prices
>Meanwhile selling Oblivion for 15$ in 2016

If that was true hl3 would have been done by now.
But I'm so sure everybody wants to be working on shitty events for tf2.

Can you fucking kill yourself for making that already

It's not good

Why is this allowed?

Easy as hell to add to the steam library. Most were already for PC. Some fans of the games will pay for it despite having pirated and finished it years ago.

Well i did hear their recruiting process is pretty serious. So it does seems weird to hear that.But i guess it makes sense considering they do ask questions like ''Can you work withoat a manager''

whats wrong with it

I don't know about dumping millions, but yeah it's retarded to assume HL3 is under development. Gabe already said once for such a game, they'd require the entire company to work on it. Half-Life and HL2 weren't made by 2 neckbeards in a garage,they were full blown productions, that shit costs money.

Why would anyone work on a project that would take a ridiculous amount of effort to be made anyway? Sounds counterproductive even for Valve's flat structure without hierarchy. Those people would rather work on something more concrete, even if it's tuning Steam big picture mode or fixes for existing games, or planning updates working on VR games and VR tech demos like The Lab and so on.

>That's Valve's fault somehow

END THIS NOW

A few Dota devs do play it.

I can believe

i dont know where it is on my rig now but theres a great screenshot of internal playtesting with the text chat reading something along the lines of

>I just got beat to death by a skinny kid covered in piss striking me with a frozen fish. Was this our original vision for TF2?

so i think they do

Unfortunately, a couple of CS devs play casual matchmaking and suck ass at the game. That's why they nerfed the awp and made running while shooting more accurate.

What thread was this from?

Not the user you replied to, but Valve literally does not have to work on Half Life 3 anymore. They have no need becsuse they rake in hundreds of millions of dollars a year. Half Life 3 wouldn't make them as much money as say their games that have crates and skins.

So is Icefrog of asian descent? He only seems to talk to chinks these days.I also heard Pendragon refer to him as ''Abdul''

False they have people working the tournament scene worldwide

Slit your fucking throat now.

M8, even major AAA releases have -10% days before they fucking launch.

One day we'll end you. Mark our words. Screencap this

It's so wierd isn't it? When there's a game in a series that never gets released it's usually because the devs are gone or that they can't find a publisher. Valve has neither of those problems. They have the money and skills to make and publish a new game, but they just don't want to. What the fuck is up with that?

If there's no info about HL3 by the time their VR and Steam machine shit is done, I might actually give up all hope.

>Bioware got slammed because fans didn't think it lived up to the franchise

No, it got slammed because the devs promised one thing and gave us the exact opposite.

Prices are completely dependent on the publishers. Developers have no control over it, Valve gets a cut.

Here's the original Call of Duty.

Why bother? We already have his number. Literally. Pic related. :)

Exactly. I'm sure they were genuinely pissed since they knew Valve would never make a non F2P garbage game, so they no longer had any use at Valve.

I hope the next stage for Steam is hentai games.

We're so close.

>I would love to see it flop
It will flop.

The market changed far too much since they released their last big titles, now it's crowded, there's no visibility, they won't get the same reach as before, plus most people pretty much forgot about them existing, the new kids haven't played Half-Life 2, and most didn't even play the first Portal.

It will fail hard.

me too

and adult VR games

literal shit.

>What the fuck is up with that?
Valve isn't a game developer anymore, and it never will be again.

End your life immediately.

Give us F-Stop already, what was that mind blowing mechanic they concocted that was originally going to be in Portal 2.

Trash. Filth. Garbage.
Why would you post that?

>low prices

>STILL no AUD on steam when bumfuck Indonesia has it

games bought on steam are expensive as fuck, if they are within a year of release or not some indie trash, adding aud to steam would expose valve to some law over here so they refuse to add it

Delete that, delete your account, and delete yourself. Seriously. Your life has to end for what you've done.

It was literally just going to be dimensional self-duplication.

aka "Thinking with Time Machine"

I wish Volvo bought the Half-Life IP.

>yfw steam is the ark of vidya

based on the other 50+ people on the list and the huge franchise that half life is

Majority of them probably work on keeping steam up to date with OS changes, making sure updates don't break steam, etc. Considering the number of people that use steam it's a wonder they don't have more. They don't even need to make games any more since they make 33% of everything sold on their platform. Majority of Cred Forums may only buy shit when it's on sale but the majority of steam users aren't like that.

FUcking kill YOURSELF right NOW

They own the biggest PC market platform out there and can advertise their new game literally all over it.

They also make massive bank through their marketplace and cut of profits from developers, so not only can they advertise all over their site, they can buy up ad space on websites, television, even radio apps like Pandora.

You're a moron.

What kind of idiots buy gaems at full price???

Name ONE (1) thing not wrong with

literally what the fuck

>the writer and artist left almost 10 years since the last game and close to 15 years since the start of hl2 story arc development
>guess no games are coming out any time soon.... they really did need the artist and writer 10 fucking years since the previous game........if only they had outlined a plot and concept sooner than 2016.........................shaking my fucking head at you valve........
why is your brain broken like this

Haven't even bought games directly through Steam since our dollar was equal to the US dollar. Greenmangaming is sometimes literally half price. And now reviews from any Australian not getting massively ripped off by Valve are ghettoised in the 'external code redeemed' category instead of 'direct purchase' category. Thanks Gaben!

>were depressed
>making games was the worst thing we ever did
>the industry is regressing to its worst instincts
>we'll never move past nostalgia
>cosmetic dlc makes more money than anything else
>none of us even play video games anymore
>the indies are so self absorbed they won't touch AAA
>even the good AAA developers are failing every release date and it doesn't matter because you'll buy it and replay a shitty multiplayer map forever
>nothing we did mattered
>no one cared/will care what happens to hl3 after a whiny letsplay monetized shittube ad
>single player as a genre is dying
>it's all a fucking lie faked and staged on pcs
>every time we've tried to improve the industry its gotten worse and burnt us all the same

>Valve really doesn't have to make games anymore to stay profitable.

The idea that a profitable company doesn't need to do anything anymore is so short-sighted and stupid. Consider the following:

1) They could make even MORE money by putting their employees to work on something new (not including the people required to maintain the hat-train)

2) Dota 2 and CS:GO aren't going to last forever. Eventually, they're going to need something to replace it.

All things considered, this is probably the most predictable next step for Valve: a new competitive multiplayer game with unique, interesting characters, that they can sell cosmetics for and reaches a market that's looking for something new. But, the question is, what does that look like?

>RTS?
No. That genre is dead.

>New Moba?
Unlikely. Dota 2 has at least another 5 years left before they start thinking about replacing it with something else, and even then, will they bother?

>New FPS game?
Possible. Likely not a new Counter-Strike, because CS:GO seems to be going strong. A fresh new take on Team Fortress is a possibility - it's a question of what effect Overwatch has on the probability of something like that succeeding.

>MMO?
I think Valve would only consider this if they believed there was something they could add. I don't think it's likely.

>New card/casual-ish board type game?
This is something I think is possible for a few reasons: Valve wants to one-up Blizzard, Hearthstone + Magic aren't "free-to-play" in the Dota 2 sense of the term, and there's not really a great (popular) game (that I'm aware of) targeting those types of players on Steam. But, maybe not.

>Something else?
Hopefully?

Quads confirm

keep the faith, lads

Look up Valve's handbook for new employees. There is a pdf that should be very easy to find. Read it and learn.

employees
Is the Chin Girl still one of them?

Their next (and most likely the last) game will be L4D3. It's multiplayers so it will last and allows Valve to sell gun skin cases, zombie skin cases, survivor skin cases for +10 years.

What the fuck is the problem? It looks like an unfinished map; we don't know what purpose it would serve. Did he turn it in like that and get a good grade or something? Someone please spoonfeed me on this, I am beyond confused.

Just look at it. Do you not see the problem? Do you not see why it shouldn't be here? Give it a good look. It might hurt, but it's necessary if you're gonna understand.

If you don't see the issues, you might be retarded, man.

Don't samefag your ""work"", sourcefam. It's bad form.

see image

Is... is it not his map?

Wow. You cycled your router. So impressive.

One issue I can see with L4D3 are the limited reasons somebody has for buying cosmetic items. There's only 4 characters*, it doesn't really have "e-sport" potential, there's not always an enemy team (except for versus mode), and you don't always see your own character while playing (not actually that important, actually, if Overwatch is an example).

Though, I'm pretty sure they're working on L4D3 anyway, so I'm curious to see how that will turn out.

*This leads me to believe that L4D3 will introduce character abilities and stats, with a wider pool of characters to choose from. Higher variation of gameplay, in-engine support for having lots of characters like Dota 2, solves the L4D1/2 problem of not being able to play as the character you want, probably increases the profit ceiling for microtransactions, adds longevity to the game. In fact, there's so many reasons I can see them doing this, that if they release L4D3 with only 4 playable characters, I would be completely baffled as to how they came to that decision. The only reasons I can think of that would run counter to this would be "lore" and "too much work", which are both bad reasons.

All right, champ

HR, Accounts, analytics (a lot will be in this), legal, marketing, board of directors, any customer service they have in house, technical maintenance for store, graphic designers for store and items

The number of people actually related to game development there is probably quite good small

Trash. Complete trash.

see Valve don't hire people like that, nor do they employ people that way.

they're low-key making half life 3 as a steam vr, steam controller, steam OS, steam box exclusive

Going through their employee list at
>valvesoftware.com/company/people.html
it doesn't really seem that way.

That said, I'm curious as to what their breakdown of employees actually is, so I'm going to categorize them by position (only the ones listed on that page). I'll post a reply when I'm done doing that, hopefully the thread doesn't die by then.

Go fuck yourself.

Half of them left

It's sad to see a once respectable company and its once flagship product become a meme

I visited their office last year due part of college related tour.

There are 4 guy working in DOTA 2 team daily.
2 guy doing all CS GO work.
TF2 team is mostly 1 dude but others help with designs etc.

Rest of games like LF4D2-1-Portal 2 etc are done by 10 people team.

So its like 15 people at best doing support/patches to their old games. But other designers can submit or programmers new ideas to games. Though i dont think this happen too much considering those games are obselete at this point.

There are people working on Steam Controller,Steam VR,Source2.

I didnt see any work on Steam Machines or OS. Though it can be done in other rooms idk.

Didnt see any new game devolopment or something too. Source 2 is coming though idk who its audience for. UE4,CE3,Unity,GameMaker or lots of other engines are much accessible and better then source now. Nobody gonna change to source at this point.

so this..................... is the power.......................................... of source..........................................................

can someone post the image of the post about working in a firm that doesn't actually do work?

mod discussions for free

>Source 2 is coming

its already out and free for commercial use. all of those other engines are only free for non commercial use.

wow
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

how do people release this shit and think its ok?

Hence why the game is called "half"-life

Half-Valve

They're just full time hat/skin/steam Jews at this point. They haven't done anything worthwhile since 2011.

VR - the current run at it being built significantly on their R&D, with only Zenimax id as a notable second. every other market entrant has truly just run with near-identical copies of these two companies work (that Valve, at least, freely released with the specific wish that this would happen, and so help create a strong foundation for VR to grow as an industry. Zenimax, in contrast, DID NOT, which is why they're currently suing Oculus and Carmack personally for running off with it).

Vulkan - they are significant contributors and especially financiers and organizers of the whole endeavor. specifically identified as probably the single greatest contributor by Kronos group.

Source 2 - they've talked up how its supposed to be super easy to use and feature major workflow improvements (specificaly relative to Source? we don't know). it looks OK as of Robot Repair demo (pretty mediocre lighting on show there, but lots of neat VR-specific features, and VERY impressive performance, and that's surely a very early beta build). It will enable open-world games with full level streaming.

Steam Machines and SteamOS - probably mostly over and done with as of their 'release' (abortion), but of course they'll continue some small bits of necessary support for the OS, because they're Valve and that's what they do.

continued support and management of TF2, DOTA2, and CS:GO - in addition to all their forward-facing efforts, they've also been slowly unifying their server back-end, with TF2 being the last to transition.

running Steam - it's a huge fucking thing.

finally, they're currently in the process of moving the entire company to a new office building, to have room for an absurd expansion (upwards of 50% over their current staff, it sounds like). they've only said, so far, that it's for more VR-related efforts.

>You don't work for valve
>You will never be paid a 6 figure salary to sit around all day
>You will never casually code for 1 hour everyday for some bullshit project that never sees the light of day
>You will never have full insurance with paid vacations

>Australia
And nothing of value was lost.

Here's a very rough idea of the people that work at Valve, based on the people listed on
>valvesoftware.com/company/people.html

Valve employees, categorized* (there's about 100 total on that page, so about 1/3 of their total estimated employee #):

Valve/Steam-related and/or Business-oriented - 21
Localization - 2
Art**- 14
Sound - 3
Level Design - 13
Programmer*** - 31
Animator - 8
Writer - 3
Hardware and Products and Shit - 3
Gabe - 1

*keep in mind, there's a LOT of overlap in these roles, for example Ken Birdwell works primarily on animation software - would you consider that "Animator" or "Programmer"? I don't fuckin' know. For the record, I put him under Animation. cuz fuck it. Also, in hindsight, "programmer" could have been broken up a bit better, but whatever. There's some graphics and game design people in there, but they do programming too.

**models, textures, visual effects, concepting

***for simplicity, I put "software engineer" and shit like that under "programmer"

>You will never be paid a 6 figure salary to sit around all day

SIX figures? Think about how much money valve makes and how many people work there. Try NINE figures for each employee.

You have nothing concrete to base that on.

Huge singleplayer franchise. Something Valve hasn't been interested in quite a while.

All I know is that in my heart I know they're all rich faggots now and that the men that were inside their souls are now dead.

>You will never be this good at abstract level design
I'm guessing sperg are raging because its not your average city, desert themed map?

Is that expensive?
I mean people generally just wait until sales anyway so ???

HL3 has been hyped so hard for so long that no matter how good it would be, it will never live up to it. It wouldnt surprise me if they let it die.

Valve died in 2012

>I literally bought Oblivion for £10 years ago