What went wrong?

What went wrong?

What am i supposed to think is wrong

Vaan. That's all, really.

>artists can actuality show gaymers what they've been trying to draw
>Gaymers think it's gay

this

9/11 and the old men that rule the world

X killed the series. X went overboard with the cinematic approach and was the first non-FF FF. The magic was lost, when you were told the story instead of allowing you to discover it on your own. Lack of options in general was a problem starting with the lack of a world map and a real airship. Discovery was curtailed across the board. Also the story was just the plain story instead of something you needed to think about and replay the game to get a different view on. The perfected art of the earlier games of telling the story by implications (because of hardware limitations) was abandoned, removing the player's agency in deciphering the story and by proxy investment in it. The story is given to you in exactly the way the developers wanted. In the only way.

The ultimate reason is that the fans liked IV, VIII and X.

Some of the games after are really good, even better than the I-IX ones, but they aren't Final Fantasy.

XII and X-2 are both great games and two of the most underrated entries in the Final Fantasy series

XII is probably GOAT but people completely fail at the combat style

Look, if you don't think some of the newer games are great, that's your loss.

>Some of the games after are really good, even better than the I-IX ones, but they aren't Final Fantasy.
That was a good thing.

You were born.

Almost any JRPG is not only completely linear, and heavily railroaded. The prevalent of FMV certainly made it more apparant, but FFX, being the first FF on dvd was naturally going to be the first one that could rely on FMV. It's the evolution of shit games that don't let the player have input, where it finally got to the point where the player doesn't even need to hold the controller for half of it. It's not the first railroaded FF, it's the first you noticed.

I shall disagree. I-IX were momentous occasions and larger than life games the final conflicts of their distinct worlds, that were timeless and universal in appeal. Epic in its true meaning. For that to continue would've been a boon.

Just because I think Lightning Returns is the most fun and exciting game for me, does not change that.

Nah, I think being able to explore Figaro castle, optionally finding Lenna's Hiryuu backstory and flying around and re-visiting towns for no reason, changes the narrative into your own narrative and that's quite enough.

I can't even hazard to guess what you mean, I'm totally lost here.

is this loss

You can optionally explore the sunken ruins from the start of FFX, find Anima's fayth, learn its backstory and identity, and in doing that you'll likely have to revisit towns to get all the secrets from the cloisters. Only difference in our example is you don't pilot the airship, which granted, is a piece of player input they took away, but it doesn't have an effect on the actual gameplay either.

Everyone wanting more of the same after ff 7

Final fantasy was never good.

Why do I see loss?

>Also the story was just the plain story instead of something you needed to think about and replay the game to get a different view on.
Isn't that the very reason why people hate ff8?

LOL

FFVII started the trend of graphics over gameplay, and the graphics themselves look like shit because they couldn't decide whether they wanted to go with the new "realistic" style or keep the old super-deformed chibi look, so they compromised. It didn't work out as well as they'd hoped.

FFX started the trend of stifling linearity, a lack of world map and unskippable 30 minute cutscenes every 10 minutes of gameplay.

Regarding the FFX HD Remaster it's because they lost the source code and had to outsource it to some chink company that fucked up the character models, and the music was replaced because it was originally MIDIshit on a PS2 game.

As for FFXII, they forcibly inserted an androgynous fucboi because of the fujobux. Also the license board is still the worst levelling system in the franchise to date bar none even after it was "fixed" in the Zodiac edition.