Why cant nintendo just make a traditional console again?

The gamecube was legit the last good nintendo console. Why does nintendo always have to do weird shit and try and be "different" from Sony and MS.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uEA9QSM1BUU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles#Home_game_consoles
youtube.com/watch?v=AYqi96_9nYQ
strawpoll.me/11249233/
kyokojap.myweb.hinet.net/gpu_gflops/
gamingbolt.com/nintendo-president-satoru-iwata-not-satisfied-with-wii-u#uGPLOXzGy9d4F1O6.99
arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/08/nintendo-wii-u-still-being-sold-at-a-loss/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Sony and MS cornered the traditional gaming market and Nintendo home consoles sales were on a decline

I actually realized I don't want another "traditional console". I'm ok with gimmicks as long as they're not shit gimmicks. The DS touch screen was actually a really neat idea and paved the way for some great games with unique mechanics.

>The gamecube was legit the last good nintendo console.

m8 they were going downhill since the n64, the gamecube was trash. the fact that sega made the best gamecube game is fucking pathetic.

Even though the Gamecube is remembered fondly -- and it was a good console -- it is directly responsible for Nintendo's current irrelevance among "traditional" gamers.

Even though it has one of the greatest games of all time.

...and they would be?

you better not fucking say melee

because gamecube sold like shit and wii sold well
wii u sold even worse than gamecube, but that must be because it wasnt gimmicky enough

>tfw the consoles that werent dvd players sold like shit

The fact that you know what the answer is only confirms it.

The Gamecube's problems are a lot deeper than just the high points in the library. People tend to focus on the competitive internals and the classics they enjoyed, but there were a lot of very obvious mistakes made with the console.

Because both Sony and Microsoft are super companies that can afford to take a loss on hardware sales. Nintendo is a small toy company compared to them. Nintendo is better off with guerilla tactics.

>because gamecube sold like shit and wii sold well

I mean seriously, this is the obvious answer. I'm not sure what more you're hoping for OP.

Nintendo consoles are still selling.

I like gimmicks like DS and 3DS, but Wii U I did not like the controller. I don't need a second TV because I only use my TV in my bedroom, and nobody else uses it. I wish they just made the console more powerful like PS4 and marketed it as a console for more than just kids and families.

>that entire year where Nintendo's networth was higher than Sony's

But you are of course still right.

What the fuck guys? The Gamecube was a great console, and I don't know why "traditional gamers" avoided it. So many great games.

I can't believe Nintendo only does video games now. They could move out to other things like they used to do. It seems they aren't really interested in video games anymore.

>Nintendo consoles are still selling.

m8 it took the wii u 3 years to sell more units than the fucking dreamcast did in 18 months

Xbox sold well and it didn't play DVDs.

Dreamcast sold millions of consoles, but the damn games were pirated.

Back in February their financial reports indicated that they have over $4.5 billion in cash reserves.

Even if the NX is a Wii U flop they aren't going to be up against the wall yet.

>Nintendo consoles are still selling.
only their handhelds

>Xbox sold well and it didn't play DVDs.

please do at least 5 seconds of research before you say something stupid

Well, I mean the system suffered from a lot of the same issues the 64 did.

Non-standard media that forced third-parties to adapt or use two mini-discs that could only hold half of what the standard DVD could. It also never had the equivalent of dual-layered discs that went up to 8 gigs.

Still a lot of consoles.

They're trying to expand the concept of how we game, while Sony and MS try to expand the prestige of gaming
>Nintendo tries to generate new gimmicks that while generate new ideas leads to retarded shit like having to flail about when playing games that could be played perfectly fine sans flailing (New Super Mario Bros, Metroid Prime 3, etc)
>Sony and MS meanwhile just try and jam more graphics and Cinematic Experiences™ into games without improving game design via the crazy computational advances every genera brings
Nintendo sucks atm because the gimmicks are all their games have, they basically take a functional game, and figure out how to play it with their new gimmick shit, without asking "what were the issues of the old concept that our new tech can fix?"

shitposting aside,i honestly dont like the gamecube

They avoided it because it looked like a purple lunchbox and the controller looked strange. Yeah -- I know it came in other colors and I've heard the arguments in favor of the controller -- but it is what it is.

They also took the US market for granted even though it was the only thing keeping them afloat on N64. They then proceeded to act dumbfounded just you when the same people who had been playing Turok, Goldeneye, and Perfect Dark went and picked up Halo instead of Super Mario Sunshine.

Now I want to know who was the single person that bought a 360 in Japan that week.

no it isnt stop acting delusional

Xbox never played DVDs.
Yeah, maybe people preferred the PS2 so they could play DVDs, but the Gamecube was a great game console still, and really cheap to buy, so I have no idea why people still avoided it.

I wish it wasnt just limited to gaming and was useable as a pc, like otheros was on ps3.

>They avoided it because it looked like a purple lunchbox and the controller looked strange

a black one was available at launch though

These are shitposts.

>achieve perfection in console shape, game library and controller layout
>"hey guys, just do it again"

It isn't going to happen.

>Xbox never played DVDs.

yes it did

>they basically take a functional game, and figure out how to play it with their new gimmick shit, without asking "what were the issues of the old concept that our new tech can fix?"

that really only applies to miyamoto. Ironically Nintendo usually didn't utilize the gamepad very much in most of their big titles.

>Super Mario 3D World
You can touch the world but has basically no effect on the core of the game.

>Mario Kart 8
Glorified mini-map/honk

>Pikmin 3
Glorified Map

>TPHD and WWHD
Item screen

>Splatoon
Gyro Controls and map.

>Bayonetta 2
barely used

>Donkey Kong
Literally unused

>anyone who disagrees with me is shitposting

fuck off, people like you are the worst

>I have no idea why people still avoided it.

Why would anyone buy a Gamecube over a PS2? The libraries simply can't be compared, and most people only buy one.

Speaking as someone who did buy a Gamecube over a PS2 at the time, I have no idea what the fuck I was thinking.

A handful of reasons: Lack of third party support and games like GTA, lack of a DVD player, a late start compared to SONY, not a whole lot of options outside Nintendo's 1st-party lineup.

Right -- but they revealed it to everyone in purple. Stop trying to make excuses for it and rationalize it away and just look at it for what it is.

Because it had an image problem.

I always find it funny that the GC is so popular on Cred Forums when it seems like so few people were actually around when it was current. If you were you'd know this. From the moment it was unveiled it was widely ridiculed as a purple lunchbox playskool toy. Then you had the Zelda unveiling where you had a cartoon Link, you had a slim launch lineup with Mario Sunshine as the only major title which was a weird and unfamiliar version of Mario. The truth is just that Nintendo fucked up their image and marketing tremendously.

This came at a time when the N64 had already started to get saddled with a "kiddy games" console because the games Nintendo produced for it were family friendly and they were its biggest sellers for the most part (obviously GoldenEye was the big exception, but it wasn't enough all on its own.) The problem is that Sony had managed to tap into the "mature gamers" market, but they didn't even just get older players, they got younger ones too because younger players think what older players are playing is cool and want it too.

It's something they never recovered from. Even though with the Wii line they shed the playskool toy look, they still kept to the wholesome family image, and in fact pushed it even further in their marketing. People have it in their heads now that you don't go to Nintendo systems for things like CoD and AssCreed and Madden, and to the average customer that's what's important.

For better or worse, it seems like Nintendo doesn't want to try to fight that and wants to carve out their own niche again.

>never played DVDs

>so I have no idea why people still avoided it.

People grew out of donkey kong and Mario that's why. Imagine if Sony stuck it out with ratchet, jak and crash and rehashed 500000 titles of those games just milking the franchise over and over and over again, that's what Nintendo did, and while it helps build strength behind those ip's it doesn't account for the target demgraphic growing up and growing into different genres of games.

it is without a doubt the greatest fighting game so far.

>From the moment it was unveiled it was widely ridiculed as a purple lunchbox playskool toy. Then you had the Zelda unveiling where you had a cartoon Link, you had a slim launch lineup with Mario Sunshine as the only major title which was a weird and unfamiliar version of Mario.

Right. I also remember people taking the piss out of the little toy discs it used.

dreamcast had better fighting games

like what? soul caliber?

DC had tons of great fighting games, don't be silly. But I agree that Melee is the best fighting game ever made.

3rd strike

They can make it. But they won't.
You praise the GC so much but that was exactly the last straw for Nintendo. The GC was a "traditional" console and yet it sold like dogshit. It had third party games, it had good exclusives (or at least gen 6 nostalgiafags say so), it had a normal controller. And yet, it sold badly.
At that point, they realized that competing with other companies just by making more powerful consoles each time was going only to hurt them.
And look at the Bone and ps4 now. They are pretty much the same thing, there is only a small power difference. But they might as well be the same console. If Nintendo made another "traditional" console, it would be just a third samey console. Plus, Nintendo struggled developing HD games on Wii U, you can only imagine how few games they would have made on that so called traditional console.
Would have it sold more than the Wii U? Fuck no. Sony's marketing would have killed it as well. People outside there would say "huh, Nintendo is for kids, since the specs are about the same, I'll buy a Playstation/Xbox". It would repeat gen 6 again.

I am not even saying Nintendo is doing the right thing making not traditional consoles. But releasing a traditional one wouldn't change anything. You are not making a smart business point. You are just making your nostalgia going wild.

what makes it better than guilty gear xx?

i don't understand how it sold so fucking badly, was it expensive? my mom got me one and everyone else down here in the dirty south seemed to have one too, even our fucking school had one which we would play in detention

Good point. I was a teenager when Gamecube was new, but I still enjoyed it along with PS2. Don't care about Nintendo that much today.

can we kick the kids out already? Fuckers who don't even know the most basic stuff about 6th gen consoles shouldn't be here.

>Melee
It desperately needs a proper patch, as much as i love it
>Fix G&W's shield and aerials
>Fix PS's camera
>Falcon & Ganon's side-b are useless for recovery because ???

Without an adapter

The GC was originally the same price as the PS2 I think. They only turned it around after dumping the price to $100.

Can we fuck you in the ass without lube? You are acting like a faggot.

It wasn't expensive. And it got several price cuts. I still remember when in UK, at Harrods, they sold all their GC stock at one pound for each unit.
Simple as that, Sony had a successful brand and marketing advantage. They had third parties by the ball. And a DVD player included.

melee is the funnest best game ever made and you're a fucking faggot if you think otherwise the truth may hurt but its the truth

Back in the day we didn't get patches for fighting games, we just figured them out and played with what we got. Many of the greatest games in the genre's history are full of stuff that "should get patched." Games like MvC2, CvS2 and Third Strike are widely regarded as among the best 2D fighters but all have a handful of overpowered fighters/tactics that completely dominate high level play.

What you find is that the greatest and longest lasting fighters are the ones that have a deep metagame at the top, even though the top usually tends to be a small portion of the overall game. Melee has this in spades. Its balance is about on par with what was normal for fighting games before balance patches became normal and its metagame is still interesting and evolving after 15 years.

Yes, I know the game has flaws, that's obviously true, but so does every fighting game. It's the heart of the game that makes it so timeless.

lol get fucked

youtube.com/watch?v=uEA9QSM1BUU

$200. The Wii was the first Nintendo console to cost $250, they really knew when to bring up the price

It was also largely an unsuccessful console, barely eking out 30+ million sales worldwide.
But then they caught lightning in a bottle with the wii and decided to run with it.
Too bad they have no fucking idea why it was so popular.

Also, even with the cube they were being special snowflakes.
Proprietary discs with little storage space was the n64 cartridge problem all over again giving near every jrpg to the sony competitor.
The cube also looks like a little kids toy with that lunch box design.
That might seem like a petty issue, but people are very concerned about appearances.

Most of the stuff in that video is objectively not "broken" and it's just the opinion of the person who made it that it's bad. There are a few things there like G&W that are legitimate problems and probably weren't supposed to end up the way they did. But everybody knows that the game has flaws and isn't perfect. The fact that it still endures with greater popularity than ever 15 years later despite these flaws is just more evidence of how truly great it is.

stay delusional, friend

>G&W shield
People are constantly bringing this up now and it's so trite. Get over it not every character is going to be perfect, look at bowser.

Even its balance isn't that bad when you consider at the highest level something like a 1/3 of its cast is viable for top level play

Reminder that people like OP say that but forget that the gamecube was way more gimmicky than the ps2 or xbox.

>mechanical imbalance
not watching, means nothing when there are no other games that even have "f-air" or even a fighting system thats similar with better balance.

>not watching

stopped reading right there

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles#Home_game_consoles

The PS2 and even the Xbox outsold the GCN. What does that tell Nintendo?

fucking kids

First off the PS2 played DVDs for 300 bucks when every other DVD player was twice that number. Second it was Japanese, so unlike the Xbox people in Japan actually wanted it. And thirdly, the thing had a fucking incredible release schedule. The library of the PS2 is massive and covers tons of genres and interests. Even in the first two years it had probably as many good games as the Wii U does now. The cube was in no place to compete. Nintendo was weak in Europe (always losing there to Sega and later to Sony), Japan went PS2 because of big franchises and the ability to have a DVD player and a game system (saves space), and even in the US, where Nintendo was arguably the strongest, PS2 had Madden and GTA to power the casual bandwagon. Those two games along with Halo used to be the trinity of shit-tier casual garbage that only dudebro idiots played, and two of them were on PS2, one was on Xbox, and zero of them were on Gamecube.

Not to mention most of the first-party games from Nintendo were considered disappointments at the time when compared to their predecessors. Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask over Wind Waker, Mario 64 over Sunshine, all kinds of bad comparisons. If it weren't for things like Smash Bros and Resident Evil 4 the system would have basically been totally overlooked by all but hardcore Nintendo fans.

After that generation, there was basically no way that Nintendo would win if they just put out another stronger box.

At least I know the most basic details about the relevant hardware before starting a thread.

It's for the remote the machine itself still played them.

Because it would be suicide since they can't compete against Microsoft and Sony. It's smarter to not and try to outdo them and just sidestep it with some "gimmick".

Honestly, Nintendo has always been gimmicky. Sometimes people tend to forget stuff like the Zapper or the Power Glove. Or their nostalgia makes them think those aren't gimmicks.
This is exactly why people that think Neo"Nintendo is a thing are honestly stupid.

They want to make sure their games will never be ported to others consoles thanks to those shitty gimmicks.

>there
stopped reading here.

>tfw I didn't get a GC til 2005
wtf no wonder there weren't many games out at the time

>>>>>>>>>fighting game

actually I misspoke, EA did put games out on Gamecube, Madden included. People didn't generally buy a 'cube to play Madden though.

>make arguments
>"w-well here's a video, so you're wrong"
>make more arguments as to why the video doesn't prove anything
>"h, heh you're delusional friend. I got him right guys???"

Come back when you have an actual argument to make instead of spewing insults, child.

>Even its balance isn't that bad when you consider at the highest level something like a 1/3 of its cast is viable for top level play

The extent to which this is true is debatable, but there are six characters that are very clearly able to win majors, and a couple beyond that which arguably probably are but we haven't really seen it.

That is a perfectly fine level of balance for an interesting high level metagame. It's no different from a game like Third Strike or MvC2. It's honestly funny to me that FGC people love to throw this argument around about Melee when many of the most beloved classic FGC games are just as top-heavy when it comes to tournament viable characters, and in fact it used to be something that old school FGC players would level against new ones who complained about balance all the time.

I've loved every Nintendo console so far. The thing that got me is the new Pikmin, I now understand the Metroid, Star Fox and Sonic fans cries on a personal level. I never asked for a side scroller, I asked for another Pikmin game, possibly with a co-op story.

I'm now sceptical about the future of Nintendo. Here's to a proper Pikmin game on the NX as well as another Prime like for you Metroid fans out there.

madden was on gamecube & xbox

>s

stopped reading right there

>The thing that got me is the new Pikmin, I now understand the Metroid, Star Fox and Sonic fans cries on a personal level. I never asked for a side scroller, I asked for another Pikmin game, possibly with a co-op story.

Why is Mario, Pokemon, and Kirby allowed to have spin offs?

the video proves you are objectively wrong in every way

You almost asnwered your own question, just check Gamecube sales and then check the Wii sales, that's why.

if smash bros isn't a fighting game the genre plain doesn't exist

yeah, that was my bad there. Again though, people looking to play Madden weren't going to buy a GC. They would buy an Xbox (for madden and halo) or PS2 (for madden and gta).

I assume it's because they're always guaranteed to have good new "main" games around the corner, a luxury most of Nintendo's smaller IPs don't have

This and lets not forget many of the things they tinkered with that never made it over seas or wasn't even massed produced since the NES.

Nigger, it's a fucking handheld spin off. I hope you aren't implying a mainline Pikmin game could be playable in any shape or form on a 3DS.
They will make Pikmin 4, this is just a spin off.

this basically, there will always be mario games so nobody cares if they take a spinoff route once in a while. It's practically a yearly affair at this point that Mario gets a spinoff.

Compare it to any smaller Nintendo IP and you can easily see the difference.

Because they regularly get new mainline games. Mario arguably hasn't had one for a while, though, since many of us don't really feel that the NSMB and similar games should be considered true continuations of the series, and there is in fact plenty of resentment for that.

But even if they just made a new Metroid that was emulating Super Metroid or something, I think people would be reasonably happy with that. Metroid fans just want something. They haven't gotten shit since Other M and that was garbage.

No it doesn't. It just lists a bunch of things and claims they are "broken" when in fact they're intentional and are widely approved of by competitive players. I already acknowledged that there are some aspects of the video which are legitimate points, but that the game is still good despite the flaws it does have. You've literally failed to make a single argument. Go to bed.

Finally someone reasonable. I'd say falcon could definitely win a major considering what wizzrobe is doing to the character. Ice climbers made it to evo 2014 winners side of grand finals. I believe yoshi could definitely be more developed to become a 9th viable character.

I don't much mind if FGC doesn't accept Melee, it doesn't feel like it fits in with them much anyway

Because they would have died 7th gen when everyone but them lost money for 70% of the generation.

it could pull it off for sure, but man, just imagine trying to track 100 pikmin on the original 3DS screen.

this tbqh i wish sega was still around though

Nintendo being different from Sony and Microsoft is what makes them so awesome though

It was present in the GameCube, too. That system was quirky as fuck, and the people on Cred Forums who grew up with it and thought it was a hardcore gaming machine don't want to admit how heavily aimed at casuals it was. The philosophy behind the design of the GameCube controller changed the standard 4 button layout because they thought it would be easier for people new to video games to get into. The big A button was supposed to make it clear to a new player what the "main" button was, and the positions of the others were supposed to create a sort of obvious hierarchy.

I mean, for fuck's sake, when they released the NES originally in Japan it was called Famicom and that stands for "family computer." They were always, always, always trying to have mass market appeal with simple games that anyone could get into. Super Mario Bros was simple as fuck. My fucking mother played SMB. And what do people think Duck Hunt was all about? Not exactly aimed at the hardcore gamer.

>it could pull it off for sure

The 3DS couldn't even handle 8 ice climbers, let alone 100 fucking pikmin.

>I don't much mind if FGC doesn't accept Melee, it doesn't feel like it fits in with them much anyway

I don't really give a shit about this either, but since it's clear that Evo wants Smash to be there, it would be nice if shotposters on both sides of the fence could just shut the fuck up and agree to get along like grownups.

That didnt matter. When I was in middleschool when the GC came out, the other kids werent talking about the "little kid games on gamecube". Everyone was shitting themselves over halo and gta and stuff.

I still have my launch gamecube and love it, but its marketing eas without question not working with what young teens and teenagers were into.

See I almost wish they didn't allow Melee at evo. Top 8 being BO3 is such nonsense in a game like Melee.

I wish Melee players didn't value evo so much

hmm, that's true.

I just find it hard to believe that a 3DS couldn't perform comparably to a Gamecube. I mean you could do something absurd like make all the pikmin 2D sprites.

But I guess that and other reasons is why they're doing the 2D thing in the first place. Take a series that performed well on a badly performing console, and try to make something out of the IP that will sell.

CUZ CLEAN IS BETTER THAN DIRTY

I really can't see how anyone can misinterpret this Nintendo has always been an all ages.

I mean, if they got the same level of hype and viewership at other events they'd value those more. They're not choosing how much to value it, they're going where the money and the viewers are. Evo is the biggest fighting game event, and whether FGC likes it or not, Melee is easily one of the biggest fighting games in existence.

It may not mesh that well with other FGC games, but it belongs at Evo. It's a pain in the ass that people won't just accept that and move on because it shits up good discussion for people who are interested in it.

Because for shitposters:
Appealing to everyone = appealing to kids

>I just find it hard to believe that a 3DS couldn't perform comparably to a Gamecube
Oh please dude. The 3DS is shit-tier hardware with a 240p screen. I love my 3DS and I love Nintendo, but to even suggest it is anywhere near as powerful as a gamecube is delusional.

I mean, ironically the gamecube had the uncensored version of bmx xxx. Which always gives me a chuckle. Game was shit though.

>Sony and MS
That's why.

One is a media giant with numerous branches and the other had a computer monopoly.

Nintendo is just video games. They had nothing outside of the occasional advertising promotion to fun their projects. They can't afford to take massive losses like the other two have.

I guess it's because it was defeated in sales numbers by the PS2 which was more for the DVD player than the console itself. Meanwhile the Wii destroyed all competitors.

How powerful is the 3DS, like what kind of console is it roughly comparable to?

Just curious because I realized I have basically no idea how powerful it is.

I always figured it wasn't really because of the content itself, but because the game had received such overwhelmingly negative publicity. Nintendo and MS weren't in as much of a position to refuse games as Sony was at that point.

I guess I'm just wishing for evo to BO5 for Melee even though they never will because of scheduling.

Color was never the issue. It was always software.

You seem unnaturally worried that someone out there might not be like you, and might not value the same experiences as you.

Why should everything have to be the same? Why does everything and everyone have to conform? Just enjoy what you have, and dont pay attention to the other stuff bother you.

The gamecube has an estimated power of 8 GFLOPS

The 3DS has an estimated power of 4 GFLOPS

so not good.

Gamecube was shit. Lowest imports of any nintendo console, shitty controller, and started the lazy trend of no main mario at launch. Its babys first nintendo console

>shitty controller

Fuck me.

Remember when you would open up a new console on Christmas morn, plug it in, and play all of your new games to their fullest immediately after?

No internet bullshit, no DLC, no waiting hours for updates, no setting up sensors and synchronizing to retarded devices that will invariably end up malfunctioning.

Remember having your bros over your house the next week to play some 4-way multiplayer?

The pure bliss.

Wii U is the only console that does the 4-player thing anymore.

ayy lmao

15 years into the game and you're so dumb and bad you still can't even voice your own opinion on why you dislike melee and have to link me a video. Sounds like you suck dick nigga

How new

>melee fags are this insecure they have to resort to projecting

But it says that WiiU has sold 20,000 gobally?

Why are you shitposting?

This video really isn't a demonstration of whats broken in melee but a showcase of how good the highest tier of players has gotten. You can't do anything in that video and nobody you've ever played can do anything in that video and that makes me wanna ask why you're so ass busted over melee?

couch co-op is dead

youtube.com/watch?v=AYqi96_9nYQ

What is your source on this? The 3DS has a dual core processor and significantly more RAM than a GameCube. As far as I'm aware Nintendo has never actually released detailed tech specs for the 3DS so I don't think we really know what's under there, but GameCube games don't really look better than 3DS ones and the resolution difference is not that big. You're forgetting that the 3DS renders on two screens, one 800x240 for 192000 pixels and the other 320x240 for 76800 pixels, making a total of 268800. The GC renders at 640x480 for 307200 pixels.

I'd say the 3DS is probably more powerful than the GC, and the New 3DS is almost definitely more powerful. But they are also designed to do fundamentally different things.

I see you gave up on trying to argue with me above because I was using facts and reasoning. Glad you found a lower hanging fruit to go after. Have fun.

>Says the delusional jackass

Selling less than=/=Selling poorly

And if you and your "my toy sold more" logic buddies are going to keep throwing sales into people faces, it would be smart to post profit from said console sells, otherwise youre just shitposting and don't understand how business works

unfortunately so. Though I got my moneys-worth out of the Wii U

Because no one bought the GameCube.

A few days ago, we discussed some possibilities of allowing 6th gen into /vr/.

However, many people didn't want it, and those who accepted it to any degree would only accept the GBA. So we came up with a compromise idea: /v2k/, a board to discuss games made during the 6th generation that are too new for /vr/, but too old for Cred Forums teens to be interested in. I think this is a pretty good idea.

What year range should /v2k/ cover if it's created? Pitch in and vote
strawpoll.me/11249233/

kyokojap.myweb.hinet.net/gpu_gflops/

>but GameCube games don't really look better than 3DS ones
show me one game that looks even half-as-good as Wind Waker on the 3DS.

>the resolution difference is not that big.
it's literally half the resolution.

>You're forgetting that the 3DS renders on two screens
And for 90% of games that second screen is just basic colors and no 3D models which even an intel integrated graphics card from 2005 could handle.

New3DS has a slightly faster processor which doesn't do jackshit for most games besides faster loading times. It's certainlly not as strong as a gamecube, considering the gamecube could handle 8 individual ice-climbers.

Welcome to Planet Shitpost

Residents- OP and the the Sony Bunch

>super circuit
christ it was so bad

>Selling less than=/=Selling poorly
No, but the Wii U did sell poorly. Nintendo themselves openly acknowledged that they were dissatisfied with the sales numbers. It consistently failed to meet their projections.

You know that you're fighting blindly when even Nintendo says the system was a failure and you still don't want to acknowledge it. Really, it's not even shitting on the system itself. It has a pretty fun library, better than I would have expected for something that got so little support and had its lifespan cut short. You can acknowledge that it's worth owning while also acknowledging that it was a commercial failure.

>another arbituary video game board
kill yourself.
6th gen is already /vr/.

They won't accept 6th gen due to the implication that Halo is retro.

But they seem to be considering /v2k/ as a viable dumping ground for 6th gen

>but the Wii U did sell poorly

[citation needed]

I posted the the image with the website, don't sit here and shitpost when you can go to said website and see the profit made from the WiiU itself.

PS4 sales seem to clouding your judgement on what a console "selling poorly" means.

You do realize the Wii U didn't make money in its first year, right? And after that it stopped selling. They likely did not have a profit off of hardware sales.

Pretty sure Nintendo was the one who influenced the "traditional" console past Gen 6

How many years has it been captain?

>show me one game that looks even half-as-good as Wind Waker on the 3DS.
Wind Waker looks as good as it does because of the art style with the cel shading. It's not really much of a technical achievement.

A better example is to compare Melee screenshots to Smash for 3DS ones. The 3DS version has much more detailed stages with way less jaggies and sharper textures, but the lower resolution does make it hard to compare. I don't know for sure but it's not an easy answer to give without detailed info.

What's sad is that halo is pretty old at this point. It's nearly old enough to have sex, vote and buy cigarettes.

They sold something like 6 million in the first year. They only just got to 13.5 on what's going to be the 4th year, a rate of only 2.3 million per year, and that's after the price drop. If they are making money from it, it's not a lot.

And what I was trying to say is that first year the Wii U sold at a loss. Wii U hardware was not profitable in the slightest.

They don't consider it retro because it began the casualization process of gaming

Sorry to be that guy but the word you're looking for is "arbitrary"

Wew, look at all this tradition

>A better example is to compare Melee screenshots to Smash for 3DS ones.
Smash 3DS also has extremely low-res models during gameplay to keep 60fps and has to basically disable the home menu in-order to run properly.

What are you on about with this PS4 shit? I just told you how much I like the Wii U. I don't even own a PS4, there's literally nothing I want to play on it.

Here's your citation. Come up with some other thing to shitpost about I guess. I'm sure that Iwata openly admitting the system is a failure isn't good enough to demonstrate it is a failure by Nintendo's own standards.
gamingbolt.com/nintendo-president-satoru-iwata-not-satisfied-with-wii-u#uGPLOXzGy9d4F1O6.99

Just stop man
If youre not going to go to website and look uo actual sales data, just don't bother replying.

Yes. You give some, you get some. Like I said, it's hard to make a really good comparison. They were using assets that were designed to look good on a Wii U. If they were using the GameCube models, they wouldn't have had to be so low res because those models are much less detailed.

>Gamecube
>Good
>Mario game is shit
>Zelda game is shit
>Starfox game is shit

Also hardware quality is mostly irrelevant to having good games, so a "good console" is a dumb statement. What nets you games on a console is a big userbase, simple devkit, easy porting, publisher incentives, and all sorts of business shit that has little to do with regular consolewars.

It's not really "retro". It's just getting old.
While sixth gen was basically the least beacon of good ol' games, it's not really retro.

if you're going to pull that card, then where is yours? Where is the proof that Wii U hardware was profitable?

proof Wii U was sold at a loss for at-least a year: arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/08/nintendo-wii-u-still-being-sold-at-a-loss/

They also didn't sell their manufactured stock, which meant that didn't have the ability to manufacture systems when they were cheaper.

So where's your proof the Wii U hardware was profitable?

Thats not what "selling poorly" means
That what selling under expectation is though.

>>Zelda game is shit
I could see you having a point for Four Swords Adventures, but for Twilight Princess, Wind Waker and the Zelda Collection? Fuck outta here.

>They were using assets that were designed to look good on a Wii U
You...you don't actually think those are the same models as the Wii U version, do you? They're based off the same render, but they are much, much, much less detailed.

The 3DS isn't as strong as the gamecube dude. It's not that hard to believe.

>Where is the proof that Wii U hardware was profitable?

>Missed the image and the whole point of this argument in the first place.

Assault wasn't bad and the GC Zelda's are p good. Sunshine has a bad wrap but is pretty fun for the finished parts.

Not true at all. Nintendo also sells cards, and in fact started selling cards.

>selling under expectations isn't selling poorly
You have no idea how businesses work. When you constantly have to explain to your investors why you sold way under your projections, you're in a bad spot, and it is bad for your business. You obviously have a naive idea that "as long as you didn't lose money, you've succeeded" which is not how it works. It's about pleasing investors and keeping your stock prices high. The Wii U utterly failed by that crucial standard and that's why Iwata acknowledged it was a failure. Because he was the guy who had to stand at the front of the room and look like an idiot while he tried to put a positive spin on slow business for a bunch of people who were promised a big return on their investment and didn't get it.

>ask for proof of profit for specific piece of hardware
>posts net income for the entire company
call me a doctor because I think I just diagnosed a retard.

Games make up for it, but the Wii U hardware did not make its money back. Not even close.

>Assault being bad
>Literally the best Star Fox game
>Literally the only game that was actually Star Fox since 64
>Literally best multiplayer of all Star Fox games

>Literally the best Star Fox game
let's not get carried away boyo

I'm not attached to it, I'm just going by what I see.

Compare Pokemon XY or ORAS footage to Gale of Darkness on GC. Textures are much clearer on the 3DS, way less jaggies. But again the resolution is lower. To my eyes the overall effect is that the 3DS games look better.

>Assault wasn't bad
10 levels, completely linear
3 rail levels at 60fps, 6 foot levels and 1 all-range level at 30fps
All foot levels boil down to "go and shoot the yellow targets"
Stages are just repurposed multiplayer stages (no, not the other way around)
Shitty voice filters

>10 levels, completely linear
since when is linear a bad thing? 64 is also linear.

But yeah, the foot missions were unpolished at best and the ARM could've been better. But to say it's bad is excessive, it's just alright.

see

>64 is also linear.

Nobody takes Nintendo seriously anymore

How are the levels not linear? Unless you're referring to order in-which that is still linear, you just have alternate paths to take.

Okay, it's my favorite Star Fox game. Haven't Played SNES nor WiiU games though.

Campaign being short =/=being bad.

All-range levels get merged with ground missions all the time.

Arwing levels are just "survive until the end, kill the boss".

64 had branching paths but I wouldn't call it ground-breaking or open-ended. It was a cool gimmick but ultimately not what made the game.

>you just have alternate paths to take
And that makes all the difference.
Assault gives you no incentive to replay its campaign whatsoever.

Okay, but it's still linear dude. You can say Assault has shit levels which don't encourage repeated plays but it's just as linear as 64 is in level design

The two or three playthroughs that will take you to all the levels in 64 don't amount to much more gameplay than Assault given that one playthrough of 64 is pretty short.

Also, why is replayability such a big concern? For that one playthrough, the story mode in Assault works fucking great and it's MP is 10x better than 64's.

Assault isn't a long game, it just feels long because it the cutscenes are longer and more abundant.

Nintendo has never made a "traditional" console. They set a lot of what became traditions themselves. There really wasn't a reason for the PS1 - 3/PSP/Vita to have a "select" button outside of tradition, on the NES it was designed to select a mode on the title screen.

>it is virtually impossible to get any on-screen object to move diagonally
They were too retarded to press two directions at once?

HAHAHAHAHAHAA

the Wii U flopped so fucking hard.

fuck off you stupid shill.

In their defense the NES Dpad sticks out really far and is hard plastic, factory new ones were probably a pain in the ass to press two directions at once.

no multiplats or Jap games.

people care about those.

Sony destroyed the market with DVD bullshit and low attach rate ps2s which has not changed since. For a long time people have been buying game consoles for DVD and Blu-ray etc. Last gen was a fight between HD DVD and Blu-ray and when blu-ray won Sony sales increased.

Summary: casuals don't give a shit about games they only want something to watch movies on and that's why Sony made the Uncharted series.

-NO GTA
-NO PES
-NO ONLINE (SOME AUTISTS GONNA MENTION PSO NOW LOL)
-GENERALLY SHIT 3RD PARTY SUPPORT
-STUPID SHAPE WITH TOP LOADED DISKS WHICH MEANT IT DIDNT FIT UNDER TELEVISIONS
-CONTROLLER BAD FOR MULTIPLATS
-CONTROLLER HAD NO L1, NO L3 R3, SHORT CABLE, SHIT C STICK NIPPLE
-COULD NOT PLAY DVDS

-DISAPPOINTING CARTOON ZELDA WHICH ALIENATED PPL
-SMS ALSO DISAPPOINTING. WAS CONSIDERED THE WORST MARIO EVER AT THE TIME

GAMECUBE WAS OK, BUT IT FAILED FOR GOOD REASON

because they don't care about making good games

Literally everything you said is wrong or exaggurated.

Xbox sold 2 million more than GC, didn't really sell well but I guess since it's MS' first console it sold "well."

Xbox CAN play DVDs you fucking retard.

Dreamcast sold millions. Yeah, like 10 million. That's not good.

completely incorrect

Image. Nintendo has huge image problems. If you buy a gamecube then you got bullied for being a faggot who plays baby games like mario on a dumb purple lunch box which takes tiny discs and uses a weird fisher price controller.

Kids and teens are superficial.

>Disapppunting cartoon Zelda

Shit taste detected. People like you are the reason we were saddled with "m4ture games for m4ture gamers such as myself" for years.

Not defending Nintendo here, but if faggots like you weren't so insecure about what they play, we wouldn't have had to endure that shit.

The GameCube was a nice console. Sure, it had its problems, but it also has one of the best and most consistent libraries of games of any console, and just for that it deserves to be commended.

Regardless of how user actually feels about it, it's undeniable that Wind Waker got an overwhelmingly negative reaction when it was first unveiled. People wanted and expected more like Ocarina, and the impression they got from WW was that it was sillier and more childish. That didn't turn out to be the case but it was a bad move on Nintendo's part from a marketing perspective. They desperately needed a killer app like what Ocarina was for the N64 and instead they played directly into the other side's narrative, which was that Nintendo makes childish games for little kids and all the serious games for cool people and grownups are with Sony.

GameCube sold like shit
Every house in the world had a Wii

>Nintendo would have been better off if they tried to do what they did with GameCube again! I'm not retarded!

That's not Nintendo's problem. It's the kid's faggotry. Play what you like to play instead of caving to peer pressure, fag.

This is accurate. Back in 2001, the fan letters pages of Nintendo magazines were filled with hatred of Wind Waker and claims that it was the worst idea anybody's ever had. If Wind Waker were made today, there would be a petition with fifty million signatures addressed to Barack Obama to nuke Japan unless they cancelled it.

It is most definitely Nintendo's problem. You can have the opinion that the kid is wrong for wanting what he wants, and Nintendo might even share it with you, but that doesn't matter. In the end if he doesn't want what they have to offer he won't buy it and then they won't get the profits they want. That's how markets work.

So what. Wind Waker was an answer to Majora's Mask's shit-ton of complaints about it being too dark and depressing.

The lesson to learn here is that you should make what you love and make it great. Not cave in to fans. Yhatzee may be a faggot but he described fans perfectly. They are shrill complaining machines who will never be happy with anything and will protest every concession you make to them. Fuck the fans.

>Games companies should make games to be good, not to sell well
And that's why you don't have a good job.

And yet it sold less copies than Majora's Mask.

What you "should" do is entirely dependent on your goals. If all you care about is achieving your own artistic vision and you're not concerned with it generating profits and pleasing shareholders, then of course you're right, fuck what anyone thinks and make what you want.

Obviously, Nintendo isn't in that boat. They do care about profits, they do care about pleasing shareholders. Wind Waker's disappointing sales compared to other more successful Zelda games therefore means they failed to meet at least one of their goals.

Whether you like it or not, fans need to care about those things too. Because Nintendo is a business, a publicly traded company, and that means that their ability to keep making games for you is dependent on those games selling well. The thing I care about above all is that I get to play games I enjoy. But I recognize that as a direct effect of my caring about that, I also have to care about Nintendo's financial success, because that success is what guarantees I get more of those games.

You liked Wind Waker? Well, too bad for you, they stopped making Zeldas with Wind Waker's art style. If Wind Waker had sold over ten million copies, that probably wouldn't have been the case. See how your interests align with Nintendo's financial interests?

No. That's why practically no one has a "good" job. The market is too focused on exploiting fads to sell on the short term instead of putting out a great product. Quality sells. On its own, without fuckhuge marketting budgets. Look at Dark Souls, or Half Life, or Doom, among others.

Nintendo was not wrong on this shit. They did it wrong, but the theory was solid. Tighten the budget of your game and make a quality product, and it will turn out profit. You don't need to sell billions to make money.

Because the PS2 had one of the best game libraries a console could ask for and also at the time of it's release it was the cheapest DVD player on the market.
Just like how PS3 was the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market

>You don't need to sell billions to make money.
No, but if you can sell billions and you don't because you stubbornly wanted to do what you prefer instead of what your customers prefer, you get to explain it to your angry shareholders.

>That's not Nintendo's problem.

It is Nintendo's problem. It was a sign that even if they targetted the core, teen or adult markets that they would be rejected by them anyway.

Everything Nintendo did to carve its own niche after the Gamecube makes reasonable sense if you understand the image problem Nintendo had. Nintendo and Sega weren't ever taking the "core" market from Sony and when Microsoft joined in it was a definite why buy "kiddie Nintendo trying to act cool" when Playstation and Xbox were always cool?

I don't understand what people are mystified why Nintendo don't directly compete in an area that they are severly disadvantaged in(image).

The problem here is that you cannot realistically predict what your consumers want. They don't know it themselves. What you can do instead is make reasonable predictions and goalsof what you might be able to win in profits with the budget you set up. If you don't lie to your shareholders, they don't have to be angry, especially if you end up turning up a profit.

All I am saying is that the industry's focus should be on making a good product that sells well and turns out a reasonable profit, not churning out blockbusters that saturate the market

>The problem here is that you cannot realistically predict what your consumers want.

Bullshit. Sony and Microsoft don't have any trouble delivering what their customers want: "cool" media machines with the popular multiplats and cinematic, "adult" games.

Nintendo could have known what their customers wanted from a new Zelda game if they'd just paid attention. Fans of Ocarina felt that it was their system's answer to PlayStation hits like Final Fantasy VII. An intriguing fantasy story that adults could enjoy. When they saw Wind Waker, they felt like Nintendo was turning their deep fantasy world into a childish cartoon.

History has changed that perception, and rightfully so. Wind Waker had its own special artistry and really didn't dumb down the fantasy of the world at all. But that's not the point, the point is how it was perceived. The negative reaction when the game was first unveiled tells you everything you need to know: all of those people who reacted poorly could have told Nintendo what they wanted. Hell, Nintendo even knew what it was they wanted. One of the reasons people were so disappointed with the Wind Waker reveal was that the year before at E3 Nintendo had shown a Zelda tech demo using the GC hardware that was done in the OoT style and everyone fucking loved it. Everyone believed that was what Zelda on GameCube was going to be like and they were hyped as hell for it. Nintendo had all the information they needed and more to understand what their fans wanted out of a next generation 3D Zelda at that point, but they went with Miyamoto's vision just because it was Miyamoto, and ultimately they suffered the consequences. You can be glad they did in the end if you like Wind Waker. But none of that will change the fact that they failed from a commercial point of view, and that that's a crucially important aspect for them.

XBOX was never cool, though. Only kids played XBOX.

The Vita sold 23k

>current year
>people buying new 360s and ps3s

for what reason?

THE NINTENDO HUNGRII

THE FIRST CONSOLE YOU CAN EAT

MAKE IT HAPPEN YOU FAT FUCKS

because they are cheap, the games are cheap, and have good libraries.

best gamecube game was Melee you turbofag

>the games are cheap,
Yes. I see new games like some Metal Gear titles for 3€ all of the time.

>have good libraries
Not sure about that. They have a couple of ok games, maybe.

> sheik fair

Yeah could story brah, that's why shiek is far from the best char ? Character are allowed to have a good kill move

> Peach downsmash
> 60% if hit correctly

60% if you DI in like a retard, not only is this video dishonest but it straight up lies. No matter how good you place your downsmash people need to di in if you want to make the full hit

Wow. What a shit taste. Not that Melee is a bad game, but having games like Resident Evil: Remake, Metroid Prime, Zelda Wind Waker, P.N.03, F-Zero GX and Rogue Leader in the catalog, games that are leagues better than Melee, calling the latter the best game in the system is nuts.

The only thing traditional about Nintendo consoles is that they are always less powerful than the competition, and they're doing a pretty good job sticking to that.

Evo is honestly the only FGC event where smash should be because it the greatest fighting game tournament ever.

But FGC TO like to feature smash because it draw people in.

Imagine if CEO didn't have melee, I don't think they would have had such an exponential growth

>Nintendo consoles are still selling

Precisely because they don't make traditional consoles you retard.

NINTENDO HERE, BECAUSE WE HATE YU!!!1

GTFO tourneyfag. Smash Bros. isn't a competitive or fair game.

>3D zelda
Already a shit game

Microsoft and Sony both are fractions of gigantic corporations. They have more funds, technology, and research available to them to continue pushing the technical boundaries. Nintendo, by comparison, are practically an indie shop. If they tried to make a "normal" console they know they'd get blown out of the water by Xbox and Playstation, so instead they take the fight to a different field. The Wii succeeded massively and all of a sudden Microsoft and Sony are shitting their pants trying to get their own motion-based peripherals to market, and by the time either of them are finished the fad has already died out. Nintendo made a big bet on the Wii U's tablet and it didn't pay off, but I think that came down more to marketing than anything. Having had some time with the tablet I actually rather enjoy it. But there were a lot of pretty grievous errors in the design, concept, and marketing of the Wii U that made it fall apart. I think Nintendo was just desperate to get it out before the Xbone and PS4 stole the spotlight, but instead they just kind of left themselves hanging with egg on their face. Maybe they thought MS and Sony were going to release earlier?

I like the fact that I can play dong country or yoshi while watching tv in the background
>user just get a handheld!
Meh

>old games aren't old because we said so!
Get fucked faggot

Cause it would fail you dense mother fucker.

Look man you got to be at least 18 years old to post on this board

thread shoulda ended

Fuck you, you don't have to be mean all the time !