What went wrong?

What went wrong?
What went right?

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.com/news/world-asia-37429979
theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/27/un-condemns-cuba-embargo-for-24th-consecutive-year
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>americans are paranoid about being invaded by an organization in which they hold permanent veto power

>Wrong
Veto power, bad vision of interventionism, conflicts of interests + decolonisation was handled VERY badly

>Right
Eradicated Polio, fought hunger very well, UNESCO is quite good

Veto on this thread

You know, if the UN got rid of the security council(or reformed it somehow), that'd fix most of the problems.

And the security council nations would take their ball(s) and go home. So the UN will again be impotent.

Oh yes, cause it's not like the UN isn't impotent now with the Security Council Nations spiting each other with Vetos preventing shit form being done.

The security councils acts like a big boy preventing/bullying the little ones. Only problem is rivalries within it.

I say a 3/5 vote in the General Assembly should outweigh one veto on some conditions (limited action in time/space, etc). And make said General Assembly semi-permanent instead of just annual.

might as well have posted the murican flag

Deciding shit without them would be pretty pointless though.
>Oh yes, we should do something about this war in Syria
>Yeah, I bet some Burundian peacekeepers can do the trick, just tell those Russians and Americans to keep their noses out of it

What went right is that they were slowly unifying the European people with peace and prosperity.

The problem is that globalism hit and they killed their culture by importing millions of third world citizens to sustain a broken economic model

Rodrigo Duterte is right the UN as a bunch of shit talking useless hipocrites

is right, the Security Council vetos are vital at this point - Russia and the US have the political power to ignore UN decisions with virtual impunity. At least with the veto power they play along.

Did you see his message to the EU? That guy is comedy gold.

bbc.com/news/world-asia-37429979

Well there's a reason I said reformed in brackets, I figure it could be salvaged, but it'd need a lot of work, and part of the problem would be the fact that the members won't give up their precious vetoes so easily. Also what do you mean by semi-permanent instead of annual?

Unless I am terribly misinformed, the UN General Assembly only assemble once a year or in grave crisis. I propose that they do regular talks every month/weeks, but I must confess my knowelge on it is only wiki articles.

This guy death squads would have gunned the average 4channer down without hesitation. Given the proportion of suicidals here I get why he's popular.

Despite all the memes and my personal dislike of UN as an Israeli, overall it done more good than bad.

It has. But the memes are still hilarious.

theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/27/un-condemns-cuba-embargo-for-24th-consecutive-year

Well that's an odd way of putting it, but it is a fair point (however the assembly is expected to meet regularly, or at least multiple members of it, but it isn't done as often as it ideally would be)
Well the problem is not so much what it does, but more that the bureaucracy can bog it down and prevent it from doing something.

>Strumfs

I was thinking in French, that's why :^)

No offense, but Isreal should never have existed as "religious" state, rather a secular one. I really don't understand what went into the US head.

Feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong.

how the fuck does veto power make any sense at all
can someone explain

It was kind of like a reward to what was seen as the biggest players in the Allied Forces for winning WW2

>No offense, but Isreal should never have existed as "religious" state, rather a secular one.
It's pretty secular from my point of view.

I heard they made you pledge on Torah or something

Balance of powers and shit