Which Scandinavian language should I learn?

Which Scandinavian language should I learn?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cY1gf11_IzU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

færöerian

no

None. There's literally no point to it. Learn Chinese, or Spanish, or just about any other language instead.

dutch

You can't learn any of them

Somalian

dutch

I'm interested in scandinavian culture. I actually did take Mandarin and Spanish classes. the only thing i remember is
"wo ke yi shang ce suo ma?"

dutch

Swedish. I'll be useful if you go to Africa

Estonian

Only poor people speak those languages. Speaking Scandinavian is a symbol of status.

Why yes, that dog is for sale. How many pounds you want?

>Speaking Scandinavian is a symbol of status.

>I'm interested in scandinavian culture

why?

i don't know any less relevant place on earth. They did literally nothing for the greater good of humanity

It actually means, "May I use the restroom?"

fucking teacher made me say it everytime i wanted to use the bathroom

also which scandinavian language should i learn? stop trolling me

Well there's only two of them so pick one.

uhh, i want to read Kierkegaard's works in the original language. i like philosophy

this. atlantic scandinavian and continental scandinavian

You should consider hanging yourself

Swedish is a good babby's first scandinavian language. Once you've learned that, you can learn danish and rest assured that you are one of the few to actually understand and speak it.

then go for danish

Norwegian is closer to English but Denmark is the best and most prestigious country in Scandinavia so I'd learn danish

Well Finnish isn't scandinavian nor a language so that's out.

Norwegian is a meme, even Norwegians don't know which language they're supposed to use, so that's out.

Danish is possible though there's a lot of German saliva in there. Notoriously disgusting language.

So it's basically down to Icelandic and Swedish. I'd suggest Icelandic if you're in it for the novelty, and Swedish if you're looking for another place to work and live.

You shouldn't learn a language just because your great-great-great grandpa immigrated from Denmark

>Norwegian is closer to English

?

Ok. Also, I'm 18 years old. Is it too late to be learning Swedish?

It is due to viking influence in the middle ages.

I met a 65 year old man the other day who said he took an interest into French culture and is learning French.

So no, not too late

Fuck off. I'm Vietnamese, you cunt. I'm just interested in Scandinavian culture, faggot.

You'll pick up finnish, if you want to get bullied by scandis.

Nope, lots of totally-not-over-18-year olds learning it. Though I think classes might be a bit full ATM

Finnish is closer to East Asian languages so it'll be easiest for you if you speak Vietnamese

Goddamn you do not want to learn Danish just to read Kierkegaard in Danish. Danish is a terrible language for litterature

Somalian

pretty sure most of the vikings were from southern sweden and denmark

there is also no discerning between languages seeing that they are all practically the same save for spelling.

if you want something close to english, get a west germanic language

this influence on english you are talking about is also very small, just a handful of words (which you almost never use) come from old norse.

>I'm just interested in Scandinavian culture

why?

Swedish will be the most accessible and the one with the most resources.
Danish will be the funniest with the accents. Also a gateway to Norway.
Norwegian is the gateway to Old Norsk and whatnot.
Finnish for dank meme.

i wanna fuck cute swedish bois desu

The vikings that raided the British isles were mainly from Norway and later Denmark.

And Thursday is used quite often as one example

>thursday

>The name is derived from Old English Þūnresdæg and Middle English Thuresday

a west germanic word, changed a tiny bit by the northern germanic languages

if you want to learn about english, you should rather learn a west germanic language like frisian, low saxon or dutch, old norse/icelandic or simply old english. Learning a continental scandinavian language wouldn't teach you a lot.

>i don't know any less relevant place on earth

says the flat-land monkey who lives in a gloomy swamp of a country

Let's read the rest of the sentence you got from wikipedia

>huresday (with loss of -n-, first in northern dialects, from influence of Old Norse Þorsdagr) meaning "Thor's Day".It was named after the Norse god of Thunder. Thor [1][2][3]

Only in Norway would "flat-land" be an insult

i know, but the original word was west-germanic

>Danish is a terrible language

ftfy

None

Or nicelandic if you really want

And I said that the language was influenced by old norse

>Norse borrowings include many very common words, such as anger, bag, both, hit, law, leg, same, skill, sky, take, window, and even the pronoun they. Norse influence is also believed to have reinforced the adoption of the plural copular verb form are rather than alternative Old English forms like sind. It is also considered to have stimulated and accelerated the morphological simplification found in Middle English, such as the loss of grammatical gender and explicitly marked case (except in pronouns).[12] This is possibly confirmed by observations that simplification of the case endings occurred earliest in the north and latest in the south-west, the area farthest away from Viking influence. The spread of phrasal verbs in English is another grammatical development to which Norse may have contributed (although here a possible Celtic influence is also noted).[11]

>Speaking Scandinavian is a symbol of status
Yeah, that of a starving Northern fisherman.

Can you speak proper Vietnamese? Since most Vietnamese-Americans always speak a half-ass Vietnamese-English mix.

You probably hate Vietnamese anyway.

east Norway is mainly flat

and i said then you should learn old norse

>You probably hate Vietnamese anyway.
I don't. I've been to Vietnam 6-7 times and can read/write decently and can speak it.

why bother when Norwegian is a thing. The only language that is closer to English is Frisian

>why bother when Norwegian is a thing.

because norwegian is a bastardization. Icelandic is almost pure old norse

>The only language that is closer to English is Frisian

what about low saxon? what about dutch? what about german?

english is a west germanic language.

Norwegian is a north germanic language.

Norwegian and english split off centuries before say, dutch and english did.

>Notoriously disgusting language.

says AIDS infested Muhammed

Notoriously disgusting people too. Always talking about STDs and gay shit.

>Which Scandinavian language should I learn?

Norwegian off course, then you can understand everything this guy sings youtube.com/watch?v=cY1gf11_IzU

>Always talking about STDs and gay shit.
care to elaborate'?

>Me: Hello my Danish friend!
>Danish friend: Fuck you go suck a muslim's ebola-ridden cock

ok, im an 18 year old american. i feel too old to learn swedish. i shouldve spent more time in high school learning a foreign language rather than jerking off and playing vidya and reading bookz all day

The one you feel like learning based on the country's culture, cities, job opportunities (if you want to move to scandinavia) etc. Kinda pointless to smacktalk seeing as the nordic countries are all pretty equal.

I'm partial to swedish for obvious reasons but norwegian's not a bad language either despite their weird split between nynorsk and bokmål. Danish on the other hand might be trickier because of how far spoken danish has drifted from its written form; it's proven to be a real issue even for natives.

vikings had a direct influence on the language that's why it's closer than german

read: also, do swedes like asians? i'm interested in living in sweden, but i want to know if you guys are racist

oops, i meant
read:

Not that guy but there aren't that many asians here so I'm always interested when I see one. Swedish speaking asians I mean, tourists can fuck off

We like asians, sure.

>i am deluded

worst meme on this site desu

Asians are fine. We got quite a few asians (like chinese, japanese) where I live because of our large universities. An asian-american would do even better. Doubt you'd run into any real racism at all.

Cool, I plan on learning the language and mastering it before I graduate from uni. Then I might move there.

Also, how hard is it to get a swede gf as an Asian male? I'm 180cm, am I too short?

Damn, you're taller than I am.

That entirely depends on your personality. 180 is average height here.

lol how tall are you

Thanks for admitting that you are deluded

I am 178 cm and I've had several swedish girlfriends so no. Just don't be a faggy nu male.

You need a beard to be a nu-male.

Nah, I'm not a "nu-male." How difficult would it be for an Asian-American to work in Sweden? I'm majoring in Comp. Sci.

None 2bh fäm

>Asian-American
>Comp. Sci

Probably pretty easily. Our tech industry is doing just fine afaik and is always looking for more people.

>You need a beard to be a nu-male.
babby cant grow one :^)

>scandinavian culture
Doesn't exist anymore.

Learn Somali langauge.

First lesson of Somali

"Ooga-Booga means where is the Swedish women

Arabic

I've spent some time in Denmark, Sweden and Iceland (and Finland), this is what I have learned about the languages.

Danish
>Relatively easy to learn bits and pieces, and even use these in conversation.
>Pronunciation is hard, because often spoken sounds do not seem to reflect written. It's probably not as bad as English though
>Danish as spoken by locals is hard to follow. To he point that outside Denmark I have struggled to identify what language people are even speaking

Swedish
>Similar vocab to Danish on paper
>Pronunciation is easier as an English speaker
>Still some sounds that do not follow the written appearance of words
>The accent of many locals is much easier to follow and understand than Danes

Icelandic
>Complex grammar rules (from memory)
>pronunciation actually alot easier than people think (in terms of double L letter sounds etc)
>Fairly irrelevant language but amazing country, I would think it's worth learning for pleasure

Finnish
>Not an easy language at all - I have spent more time in Finland than any other Nordic country and picked up by far the least of the language

Depends what you want to do with the language. If you're interested in "Scandinavian culture" then Icelandic probably best reflects the history and culture of the place

18 is young mate. I'm 26 and still trying new languages. You should never stop learning them

If you want to learn scandinavian swedish is the most practical and norwegian sounds the funniest.
Danish is the most difficult to speak and some people might be hard to understand.

Is it a good idea for an American to move to Sweden and work there? I want to get out of this country.

Neither can you

seconded. you will literally be able to read danish.

>practical

norwegian is the most practical. You will understand danish and swedish then

You are objectively wrong. It is second only to german in terms of expressiveness

Estonian desu

>a self loathing american
>swedeboo

good goy...

this desu

>2016
>not hating america
Leftist please

Ever heard of the England Runestones?

Somalian.

Go for swedish since it's the one with most speakers. When you become fluent in swedish,it will only take a few hours to learn danish and norwegian.

Icelandic obviously

only Scandinavian language (along with Faroese) that has not been Germanized to the point of being a complete bastard language with no identity

What's the best way to learn Swedish? How long does it take to become fluent?

what do you think about learning the words and learning the grammar?

it takes a while to become fluent

dutch

>it will only take a few hours to learn

cut the crap homeboy.

can norwegians even tell the """"two"""" languages apart?

just learn the handful words that are different between languages and new way to spell words. That's it really.

cut the crap lad

Danish isn't as bad as English because at least Danish is relatively consistent with their words not sounding like they're written.

Danish is very homogeneous so you won't run into any dialectal difficulties as you would with Norwegian. If you can overcome the Danish phonetics, it's fairly easy.

You can't put a timeframe on fluency. There's so many factors between motivation, diligence, efficiency, methods of learning etc. But assuming you were working averagely hard at learning it you'd learn it a hell of a lot faster than say, Finnish or any other language outside of your native tongue or any others you speak's family.

Dutch education. Your forefathers literally came from that irrelevant place and gave you your language and culture. You're welcome.

Duolingo has a swedish course, instead of thinking about a language to learn, just download the app and start practicing some swedish. You can watch Bron with subtitles if you want to hear both danish & swedish in spoken form

god speed

English