European ethnic groups in the US

How come its only the irish and italians that seem to keep their identity alive?

Are the irish and italian more "pure", as in less mixed?

And if you are a white american, whats your european heritage? Do you identify with it or do you just see yourself as an american?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_the_United_States#Race_and_ethnicity
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Are the irish and italian more "pure", as in less mixed?
East coast italians, yes. Irish no.

I am Irish/slavic heritage. Heritage is something you leave at the door in America. Even African Americans are mostly concerned with American history.

Pretty much this. Muh heritage is mostly a white thing, and even then it's mostly used for small talk and for personal fascination. I myself am a mutt of Irish, Scots-Irish, and Nordic blood, with my various ancestors arriving at various points between 1620 and 1945, and given such a broad range of dates and histories I identify myself as your average White American.

There was also a family legend that there was Indian blood in the family, but 23andme disproved it.

23andme said I had a lot of native and middle eastern blood. Apparently I'm not even 50% "white" even though I look like an average American

because you still have large Irish/Italian neighborhoods in places like New York & Boston. The old German neighborhoods and others are pretty much gone.

>Apparently I'm not even 50% "white" even though I look like an average American

Interesting; there's a son of Palestinian immigrants in my House (in College) who looks like a Ginger.

All my ancestors in America at the time of the Civil War were in Kentucky and fought for the Union, so that's cool. I've heard another family legend that I'm descended from Ambrose Burnside's, the namesake of sideburns, sister, and I do have a nice beard (albeit without a nice mustache). Sorry for the sperging.

This as well; Scandis are regionally in Minnesota/Wisconsin/the Upper Peninsula, while outright speaking German was harshly ostracized during and after the World Wars.

> Heritage is something you leave at the door in America

Thats sad, like it or not, you are europeans, the same as we are. But I guess you are too mixed to still have a european identity.

I'm of Germanic heritage, and I still identify with it. Unlike most "muh heritage" Americans, I can speak the language, I actually have living relatives in Germany, and stayed with them last year

Not too terribly much, given that the whole mythos of America involves immigrants starting a new life for themselves, the whole melting pot thing, etc., and people don't fully assimilate until second or third generation. But yeah, most of us have been mixed for centuries.

>but 23andme disproved it
your a dorable

isn't average american hispanic or black these days?

Although my great-grandfather did have a farm on a reservation. That doesn't likely mean anything, though, as I've heard much of the purported Native blood in Whites was fabricated in the 19th century so white people could have some of that reservation land.

OP you've just triggered an innate instinct/psychological complex dormant in all Americans
as soon as you mention the word "heritage" around an american, they will immediately start spouting off a bunch of random countries and a random percentage of how much of that country they are.

This is especially common in american women.

For example, I am 50% Irish and Welsh

Non-hispanic whites are still 60% of the population, which means, at least for right now, that there are still more whites than other races, including hispanics, combined.

>How come its only the irish and italians that seem to keep their identity alive?
They still live in enclaves in certain parts of the country like poles in Chicago.
Are the irish and italian more "pure", as in less mixed?

>And if you are a white american, whats your european heritage?
1/4th Irish, 1/4th wasp, 1/4th Dutch and 1/4th Ashkenazi Jewish(A Kline)
>Do you identify with it or do you just see yourself as an american?
Personally I don't identify as anything, I've been an atheist since I was 9 and neither of my parents ever celebrated anything, so it's hard for me really feel like I belong anywhere really. Pls upboat and subscribe if you liked my blog post.

Just so you know Germanic isnt the same as German.

Germanics are people that speak a germanic language = Swedes, Danes, Germans, Lowland scots, english, Icelanders, Dutch, Frisians, Austrians and a few others

Being an ethnic Swede also means I'm germanic.

the Irish ran a huge propaganda campaign during their war for independence. they wanted Americans do donate money and political support, so they came over to promote Irish-American identity. there's a brief scene in Boardwalk Empire depicting this.

The irony is that modern Irish complain about muh-heritage fags from America calling themselves Irish.

>European ethnic groups

Struggling Air Berlin, Germany's second-largest airline, announced on Wednesday a major restructuring plan that shrinks its fleet and cuts 1,200 jobs.

THANK YOU AMEICA! I LOVE BEING UNEMPLOYED!!

Is Ireland even somewhat relevant outside of Ireland, the UK, the US, and maybe Canada? I know outside of the latter two people don't really know or care about it other than for muh heritage.

>Is Ireland even somewhat relevant
No.

What I thought entirely.

>I LOVE BEING UNEMPLOYED!!
Aren't your unemployment benefits decent?

ireland is only relevent to the UK

yes. it is a tax haven for europe. other than that, no.

If you wanna be Irish, fuck off to Ireland.

Europeans who cling to their tribal origin identity are no better than Mexicans or Indians or Arabs who do the same. You're in America, you should strive to be American or GTFO.

Eh, fair point. Regardless, I have an aunt and uncle and 3 cousins that live in Germany and my father and I can speak the language and last year I visited my cousins in Bavaria.

I really, really hate the "muh heritage" Americans though

Afuckingmen brother,I was Born in colombian but I'm damn proud of being an american citizen. I find that people who were born here simply want to be special little snow flakes with their 1/8 german bullshit.

>I was Born in colombia
You have to go back.

Don't listen to him he's intimidated by BCC

If he's willing to assimilate he can stay. Same goes for all immigrants

swedish, german, and some french
Irish are really the only muh huritage fags. I know a guy that flies the Irish flag. I told him I would lower it a bit and fly the union jack over it.

Swedish last name?

yes

Come home Swedish man

I am honestly resolved that if I ever decide have kids I'll have them in Europe or at least Australia. Probably will never happen though.

they're the most recent euro ethnic groups to mass immigrate here...that's all... give it another 50 years and they'll forget and it'll be the spics going on about muh heritage

>I told him I would lower it a bit and fly the union jack over it.
2tuff4me

Well, you obviously care enough about your heritage to give a strange company access to your genome...

Nah, there are surprisingly few black people in the US. As a percentage of the population, there are more muslims in France than there are black people in the US. But they are take up a disproportionately large amount of media coverage.

More than a third of Americans are Mexican, though.

Thats really not accurate. 13% black and around 16% hispanic heritage

Heh, I'm actually majority Swedish but have a German last name.

I would try to come over to Europe, but I'm not very qualified for Visas and I'm an autist so I can't get girl to marry.

I thought it was 12% black.
And Hispanics have to be more than 20%,at the very least.

In the south west they are almost a plurality but overall all hispanics only make up 16%.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_the_United_States#Race_and_ethnicity
By 2050 they are expected to be 33% though.

Irish are only prideful in mind of a meme way.
Italians are just annoying guidos that don't know the first thing about Italy. They're really more proud of their identity as Italian-Americans and their influence on American culture

I'm French, Scottish and English in terms of heritage, but I identify as American cause tbqh it would be weird to do anything else.
I just like my heritage as a curiosity because I enjoy history.

It is an interesting hobby, even if it has no relevance to my life.

This as well; their numbers are currently 12-13%, but that's stable and their numbers were once as high as 20% in the antebellum.

lol nice same ethnicity

Those surveys usually lump middle eastern people in with white people.

America is less than 1% middle eastern

Maybe so, but there's no way that Arabs are 10% of the population, so my initial point still stands as of right now.

Because Irish nationalism is probably the least offensive form of white ethnic nationalism in existence, literally no one is offended if you say "I'm proud to be Irish." This is largely because until the mid 19th century, Irish people weren't considered white, and thus faced prejudice from WASPs.

It's ironic because the whole reason Irish people became white is because like other European-Americans, they hated blacks. Also, Irish-Nationalism killed a lot of people in Britain, but most Americans known practically nothing about the Troubles.

Irish people on Cred Forums and le Reddit love to complain about Irish-Americans, but the whole reason Irish-Americans are so annoying is because they share the massive persecution complex of actual Irish people. Just criticize anything about Ireland and see how long it takes Tyrone to bring up muh 2 gorrillion or muh 800 years of occupation, or "we were treated like blacks in America!!!11" For fucks sake, Gerry Adams recently claimed "I've never seen myself as white." Irish people are the most butt hurt Europeans by far, even worse than Poles.

Some of that also applies to Italian-Americans, who weren't seen as white either. Also, we learn basically nothing about Fascist Italy in school, I'd bet money a lot of Americans couldn't even tell you what side Italy fought for.

> And if you are a white american, whats your european heritage? Do you identify with it or do you just see yourself as an american?

Muh ancestors are mostly from Britain and Germany, there's nothing to identify with. What is "German culture" in 2016? What is "British culture?" If you ask multikulti leftists they just give you a bunch of meme shit like "drinks tea/beer, loves football" etc. None of that shit is unique to Germany or the UK.

Eh it made them sucessful and was sensible towards the american identity.
Not denouncing old world ethnic ties would have made them like muzzies in europe.